PDA

View Full Version : Navy SEAL and an Army Ranger explain the difference between these elite tiers

jimnyc
02-23-2016, 11:58 AM
An excellent read for anyone interested.

-----

The internet has no shortage of basement-dwelling commandos beating at their keyboards like chimpanzees as they forcefully insist upon one incorrect factoid or another regarding Special Operations units. All SEALs are considered Tier One, right?

No. Rangers pull security for Delta, correct? Time to throw away that scratched-up "Black Hawk Down" DVD, hero.

Since the internet stupidity goes on and on, two people at Sofrep decided to team up to write a definitive article about the differences between SEALs and Rangers. This article was written by Brandon Webb, who served in SEAL Team Three, and Jack Murphy, who served in the 3rd Ranger Battalion.

SEa Air Land. It always amazes me how many people that acronym is lost on. They think water, Navy, and marine mammal.
History

The history of the modern SEAL team dates back to the 1940s and World War II. They began as the Navy construction and demolition units and then saw a transformation with Draper Kauffman (great story here) and the Underwater Demolition Teams. John F. Kennedy would officially welcome the first SEAL teams: SEAL teams one and two in the 1960s. The US military desperately needed a maritime Special Operations fighting force; the SEALs were the answer. Come from the water and fight on land or sea.

http://www.businessinsider.com/difference-between-navy-seals-and-the-75th-ranger-regiment-2015-9

Perianne
02-23-2016, 12:19 PM
Wonderful article. Thanks, Jim.

Gunny
02-23-2016, 12:37 PM
An excellent read for anyone interested.

-----

The internet has no shortage of basement-dwelling commandos beating at their keyboards like chimpanzees as they forcefully insist upon one incorrect factoid or another regarding Special Operations units. All SEALs are considered Tier One, right?

No. Rangers pull security for Delta, correct? Time to throw away that scratched-up "Black Hawk Down" DVD, hero.

Since the internet stupidity goes on and on, two people at Sofrep decided to team up to write a definitive article about the differences between SEALs and Rangers. This article was written by Brandon Webb, who served in SEAL Team Three, and Jack Murphy, who served in the 3rd Ranger Battalion.

SEa Air Land. It always amazes me how many people that acronym is lost on. They think water, Navy, and marine mammal.
History

The history of the modern SEAL team dates back to the 1940s and World War II. They began as the Navy construction and demolition units and then saw a transformation with Draper Kauffman (great story here) and the Underwater Demolition Teams. John F. Kennedy would officially welcome the first SEAL teams: SEAL teams one and two in the 1960s. The US military desperately needed a maritime Special Operations fighting force; the SEALs were the answer. Come from the water and fight on land or sea.

http://www.businessinsider.com/difference-between-navy-seals-and-the-75th-ranger-regiment-2015-9

It's a hopeless cause. Army folk don't like water. :laugh:

CSM
02-23-2016, 12:45 PM

Not true .... we need water to make coffee! No coffee ... no workee.

Gunny
02-23-2016, 12:49 PM
Not true .... we need water to make coffee! No coffee ... no workee.

:laugh: I heard THAT!

Gunny
02-23-2016, 12:52 PM
The GF got me a tee shirt:

Gibb's Rule # 23: Never mess with a Marine's coffee cup if you want to live. :laugh:

CSM
02-23-2016, 01:03 PM
The GF got me a tee shirt:

Gibb's Rule # 23: Never mess with a Marine's coffee cup if you want to live. :laugh:

I have actually seen some idiot WASH his coffee cup! What the hell is up with that???? Maybe a quick rinse once in a while to get the dead flies out ....

Gunny
02-23-2016, 01:09 PM
I have actually seen some idiot WASH his coffee cup! What the hell is up with that???? Maybe a quick rinse once in a while to get the dead flies out ....

Yeah, had a LCpl like that. All proud of himself. "Look Gunny, I washed your coffee cup". :buttkick:

CSM
02-23-2016, 01:12 PM
I fully expect that with the publication of this article we will see a whole new crop of glory hounds claiming to be SOF.

Gunny
02-23-2016, 01:24 PM
I fully expect that with the publication of this article we will see a whole new crop of glory hounds claiming to be SOF.

Never met a vet in a bar that wasn't. :laugh:

Elessar
02-23-2016, 01:45 PM
Never met a vet in a bar that wasn't. :laugh:

Never met me yet!

I would never think to make such a claim!:laugh:

Gunny
02-23-2016, 03:39 PM
Never met me yet!

I would never think to make such a claim!:laugh:

I don't see why it matters. 2/3s of the military are support personnel. Crap, you made it through boot camp. That's more than most can handle.

A SEAL team couldn't do the job of a Ranger battalion. There ain't enough of them for one thing. I just wonder why the comparison is SEALs and Rangers. Someone forget the Green Berets? They're more comparable to SEALs than Rangers are.

darin
02-24-2016, 04:16 AM

You know why the Navy carries marines around, right? Because sheep would be too obvious.
:)

Truth: Army has more boats than the Navy.

CSM
02-24-2016, 07:20 AM
You know why the Navy carries marines around, right? Because sheep would be too obvious.

Now that is funny right there!

Gunny
03-02-2016, 08:58 AM

Truth is, that's not a fact. And rowboats don't count. WTF ya''l want with boats anyway? Not a damned one of you can swim. Y'all sink like cinder clocks. :slap:

Jeff
03-02-2016, 09:01 AM

I have seen this for years with some old truckers, man some of those cups get pretty nasty looking but it's true, once ya wash them it takes away from the taste.

CSM
03-02-2016, 09:08 AM
I have seen this for years with some old truckers, man some of those cups get pretty nasty looking but it's true, once ya wash them it takes away from the taste.

Keeps other folks from using yer mug too.

Gunny
03-02-2016, 09:09 AM

That's called well seasoned, not nasty.

And only a jihadi terrorist would wash a senior NCO's coffee cup and they best hope they don't get caught doing it. :laugh:

Perianne
03-02-2016, 09:21 AM

Don't truckers say the same thing about their women? :)

(joking)

Jeff
03-02-2016, 09:24 AM
Don't truckers say the same thing about their women? :)

(joking)

OK I have to spread them before giving ya any more, that cracked me up. Worst part is some of the Lizards I have seen slithering around in the parking lots make your statement very true. :laugh: