PDA

View Full Version : Belief in God by region- map

glockmail
07-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Interesting.

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z256/glockmail/belief_in_God_by_region.gif

Said1
07-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Any God, or the 'real' God? It doesn't say, just says religious adherents.

nevadamedic
07-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Wow, interesting, my area is less then 35.1

07-15-2007, 08:43 PM

the other maps are more specific.

Said1
07-15-2007, 08:47 PM
the other maps are more specific.

Posted where?

07-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Posted where?

not sure the site is. i know ive seen it before but its wherever he got that map.

Psychoblues
07-16-2007, 04:27 AM
Kick back, a'21.

not sure the site is. i know ive seen it before but its wherever he got that map.

It will come to you as you recognise the sunlight.

glockmail
07-16-2007, 06:37 AM
not sure the site is. i know ive seen it before but its wherever he got that map. I just got it off another board and thought it was interesting. The numbers seem low. I don't see how the place I grew up in is higher than where I live now.

GW in Ohio
07-16-2007, 07:33 AM

Everybody would say their God is the "real God."

Get real.....

Said1
07-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Everybody would say their God is the "real God."

Get real.....

Yeah, ok, I'll 'get real'. Once YOU explain why asking what religious affililiation (or God) these people claim to adhere to is an absurd question, even though the 'map' doesn't indicate this information?

How about you get real first, then I'll think about it. Maybe.

Said1
07-16-2007, 08:30 AM
I just got it off another board and thought it was interesting. The numbers seem low. I don't see how the place I grew up in is higher than where I live now.

Did it have a link at the other site? I'm a demographics junkie, Avatar indicated there were other stats at the site where the map came from.

LOki
07-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Any God, or the 'real' God? It doesn't say, just says religious adherents.Try the maps HERE (http://www.glenmary.org/grc/RCMS_2000/maps.htm) and HERE (http://www.thearda.com/mapsReports/maps/USMaps.asp?vargroup=2).

GW in Ohio
07-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Yeah, ok, I'll 'get real'. Once YOU explain why asking what religious affililiation (or God) these people claim to adhere to is an absurd question, even though the 'map' doesn't indicate this information?

How about you get real first, then I'll think about it. Maybe.

Said1: Not picking a fight with you. I actually thought we were in agreement.

I always think it's amusing when Christians set up these dichotomies between those who believe in God and those who don't. Their assumption is always that if you believe in God, you're a Christian. These people may pay lip service to diversity, but in actuality, they think everybody needs to cling to Jesus, 'cause if you don't, you're screwed.

And finally, I think we should leave the atheists alone. Maybe they're atheists because some of these Bible-thumpers haven't given them a religious role model they want to follow.

Said1
07-16-2007, 09:32 AM

I always think it's amusing when Christians set up these dichotomies between those who believe in God and those who don't. Their assumption is always that if you believe in God, you're a Christian. These people may pay lip service to diversity, but in actuality, they think everybody needs to cling to Jesus, 'cause if you don't, you're screwed.

And finally, I think we should leave the atheists alone. Maybe they're atheists because some of these Bible-thumpers haven't given them a religious role model they want to follow.

Ok, you'll have to excuse the sarcasm, then. :laugh2:

I was just interested to see what denomonations and so-called denomonations were included.

Atheists get on my nerves. I find they're as intolerant and judgemental as the religious people they claim are intolerent and judgemental. As I've said before, I find people who claim to enlightened (Christian, Atheists etc) to be among the most judgemental and arrogant people on the face of the earth. Elightened people don't go around bragging aboot it, in fact most truely enlightened people often don't even seem to realize the truth they can see and convey to others.:

Said1
07-16-2007, 09:36 AM
Try the maps HERE (http://www.glenmary.org/grc/RCMS_2000/maps.htm) and HERE (http://www.thearda.com/mapsReports/maps/USMaps.asp?vargroup=2).

Thanks, the last link was pretty detailed. I'll look at it more later.

Duty calls, frig! :laugh2:

Hagbard Celine
07-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Looks like those Mormons have everybody beat!

-Cp
07-16-2007, 11:22 AM

Perhaps they believe that because that is what the Bible says:

John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Abbey Marie
07-16-2007, 11:56 AM

I do not pay lip service to diversity, neither racial nor religious. And neither do other Christians I know on this board. I have never understood why people fall all over themselves to "honor" and "celebrate" diversity. It would be nice if people were accepted for who they are, and cut the feel-good, diversity-worshipping, humanistic PC nonsense.

As for religion, -Cp explained perfectly why Christians do not celebrate religious diversity. As many of us said in the Catholic church thread, any church that teaches all religions are the same, is a meaningless one with no foundation to stand upon.

GW in Ohio
07-17-2007, 07:42 AM
I do not pay lip service to diversity, neither racial nor religious. And neither do other Christians I know on this board. I have never understood why people fall all over themselves to "honor" and "celebrate" diversity. It would be nice if people were accepted for who they are, and cut the feel-good, diversity-worshipping, humanistic PC nonsense.

As for religion, -Cp explained perfectly why Christians do not celebrate religious diversity. As many of us said in the Catholic church thread, any church that teaches all religions are the same, is a meaningless one with no foundation to stand upon.

Diversity means freedom of religion....freedom to worship as you see fit, not as some all-powerful church tells you to.

We experienced non-diversity for hundreds of years, and during the time the Christian religion was the undisputed top dog, we ostracized and tortured "heretics" and burned them at the stake. We persecuted Jews because they weren't Christians, and because (so it was said) they "killed Christ."

We started wars because one Christian sect couldn't tolerate another Christian sect. And we initiated the Crusades for specious reasons, supposedly religious, but economics and politics and greed played a large role.
We are finally moving out from under the thumb of the Christian religion, and it is a good thing.

I'm sure the Christian religion will endure, but it's no longer the all-powerful, institutional entity that it once was.

Thank God for that.

Dilloduck
07-17-2007, 07:44 AM
Diversity means freedom of religion....freedom to worship as you see fit, not as some all-powerful church tells you to.

We experienced non-diversity for hundreds of years, and during the time the Christian religion was the undisputed top dog, we ostracized and tortured "heretic" and burned them at the stake. We persecuted Jews because they weren't Christians, and because (so it was said) they "killed Christ."

We started wars because one Christian sect couldn't tolerate another Christian sect. And we initiated the Crusades for specious reasons, supposedly religious, but economics and politics and greed played a large role.
We are finally moving out from under the thumb of the Christian religion, and it is a good thing.

I'm sure the Christian religion will endure, but it's no longer the all-powerful, institutional entity that it once was.

Thank God for that.

Who is this "We" that you're talking about ?

Abbey Marie
07-17-2007, 11:07 AM

We experienced non-diversity for hundreds of years, and during the time the Christian religion was the undisputed top dog, we ostracized and tortured "heretics" and burned them at the stake. We persecuted Jews because they weren't Christians, and because (so it was said) they "killed Christ."

Thank God for that.

Nah. Freedom of religion = freedom of religion. Honoring diversity is a separate idea, a political and cultural agenda, foisted upon us by 20th century libs.

GW, if you are so freaked out by past religious repression by Christians, why are you not concentrating your efforts on speaking out against Islamists? Even a cursory look at the news proves that it it's not the Christians threatening people with religious oppression or violence.

Your Christianphobia and simultaneous lack of concern about Islam, is just weird and baseless in the modern world. It makes you look like someone with an anti-Christian axe to grind, instead of a reasonable argument.

GW in Ohio
07-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Nah. Freedom of religion = freedom of religion. Honoring diversity is a separate idea, a political and cultural agenda, foisted upon us by 20th century libs.

GW, if you are so freaked out by past religious repression by Christians, why are you not concentrating your efforts on speaking out against Islamists? Even a cursory look at the news proves that it it's not the Christians threatening people with religious oppression or violence.

Your Christianphobia and simultaneous lack of concern about Islam, is just weird and baseless in the modern world. It makes you look like someone with an anti-Christian axe to grind, instead of a reasonable argument.

I agree the Muslim religion is the biggest threat to world peace today.

I don't necessarily agree that military force and confrontation are the best ways to deal with this threat.

I see it as a war of ideas instead of a war with guns.

07-17-2007, 03:44 PM
I agree the Muslim religion is the biggest threat to world peace today.

I don't necessarily agree that military force and confrontation are the best ways to deal with this threat.

I see it as a war of ideas instead of a war with guns.

fight with ideas all you want. when your opponent has guns you are either going to have to fight back or die.