PDA

View Full Version : Amid Trump surge, nearly 20,000 Mass. voters quit Democratic party

jimnyc
03-01-2016, 04:13 AM
Seems like while Trump is having a movement, as Sessions called it, in some corners of the (D) party they are moving away from Clinton. It used to be that Mass. was a given for the D's. I read that Trump was doing well in NY where she should dominate as well.

-----

Nearly 20,000 Bay State Democrats have fled the party this winter, with thousands doing so to join the Republican ranks, according to the state’s top elections official.

Secretary of State William Galvin said more than 16,300 Democrats have shed their party affiliation and become independent voters since Jan. 1, while nearly 3,500 more shifted to the MassGOP ahead of tomorrow’s “Super Tuesday” presidential primary.

Galvin called both “significant” changes that dwarf similar shifts ahead of other primary votes, including in 2000, when some Democrats flocked from the party in order to cast a vote for Sen. John McCain in the GOP primary.

The primary reason? Galvin said his “guess” is simple: “The Trump phenomenon,” a reference to GOP frontrunner Donald Trump, who polls show enjoying a massive lead over rivals Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz and others among Massachusetts Republican voters.

“The tenor of the Republican campaign has been completely different from what we’ve seen in prior Republican presidential campaigns,” Galvin said. “You have to look no farther than the viewership for some of the televised debates.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/2016/02/amid_trump_surge_nearly_20000_mass_voters_quit_dem ocratic_party

Kathianne
03-01-2016, 06:09 AM
I have no doubt that something profound is happening in this election cycle and that Trump somehow personifies it. It seems to have started with the personality of Obama but seems to have become full throttle with Trump. In each case the personality projected by the 'man' has been something that their competitors have not been able to duplicate successfully.

Exactly how it's all going to play out is very difficult to analyze and I haven't yet read anything that explains either the causes or how they may end up manifesting themselves down the road.

Some factors seem to have been simmering for a long time: the change in the economy; 9/11; wars we wage and the one waged against the West; Obama and his detrimental effects on both domestic and foreign relations; cultural changes; the failure of expectations from government and businesses; ???.

Some factors are results of technology: news from internet/cable 24 hour cycles; breakdown in civility via social media that has spilled in to real life. Mix of personalities from social media onto personal 'reality' via news programs and rallies (This is a mix of long term and tech-started way back with television but has increased due to being 'connected' near all the time.)

I know that my reaction to both Obama and Trump are not the norm, though not as far out as many others. I have concerns whenever there are sudden shifts in large numbers on what the issues are that bring out passion. I can't quite express why it disquiets me, but it does. 80 years ago most Americans would have been appalled at the idea of the government being as big and involved in their lives as it is today, and that would have been when FDR was in the midst of fighting for the New Deal and the success of fascism. It was the beginning of what is now playing out? I don't know.

jimnyc
03-01-2016, 06:25 AM
Anger
Lack of enforcing laws
illegal immigration
racial issues
shitty economy/jobs
ever rising debt
ISIS
terror incidents all together over the past 15 years
military reduction
Obamacare
gay marriage and other gay things shoved down throats
trade losses
VA crumbling

That's just a few of the things that I think folks are pissed at. They want someone, anyone, to fix things, to pay attention to what many are saying instead of ignoring them. IF a gop candidate gets into the WH, I think we will see a lot of changes no matter who that is.

Honestly, no matter how much gloom and doom we can discuss in regard to Trump, or any candidate for that fact, I don't see any of them being as bad and harmful as Obama has been. Just simply never seeing him and Michelle again will be a huge improvement. :)

Perianne
03-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Some factors seem to have been simmering for a long time: the change in the economy; 9/11; wars we wage and the one waged against the West; Obama and his detrimental effects on both domestic and foreign relations; cultural changes; the failure of expectations from government and businesses; ???.

Some factors are results of technology: news from internet/cable 24 hour cycles; breakdown in civility via social media that has spilled in to real life. Mix of personalities from social media onto personal 'reality' via news programs and rallies (This is a mix of long term and tech-started way back with television but has increased due to being 'connected' near all the time.)

Perhaps you overlook the most important (to many people) factor of all: we are losing our country to illegal immigrants. Maybe that is including in your "cultural changes". To many people it is THE issue and Trump personifies that.

@Kathianne (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=8), you are an intelligent person and are typical of many in the Republican party. You seem to distrust Trump much as I distrust Rubio.

Kentucky now has apparently shifted to some sore of caucus thingy instead of the regular election thing we always do. I work the night before and the night of the caucus, so I will not vote. But people I know and work with seem to be on Trump's side. I still do not know how I feel about him. I do read what you post and what others post about Trump, favorable or otherwise.

NightTrain
03-01-2016, 02:03 PM
This is good news!

Hoping to see a lot more of this kind of behavior.

Thousands of Massachusetts Democrats have denounced their party affiliations since January 1 to jump across the aisle and join the ranks of Independent or Republicans.

Nearly 20,000 Bay State Democrats, or 1.3 percent of the party's Masachussetts population, left to vote in the Republican primary Tuesday. More than 16,300 of that group have "unenrolled" or become Independent voters, while 3,500 have joined the GOP.

Mass. Secretary of State William Glavin attributed the switches to the "Trump phenomenon." The billionaire candidate has a significant lead over fellow top contenders Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz in recent state polls.

"The tenor of the Republican campaign has been completely different from what we've seen in prior Republican presidential campaigns," Galvin said. "You have to look no farther than the viewership for some of the televised debates."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/02/29/20000-massachusetts-democrats-switch-parties-before-super-tuesday.html?intcmp=hpbt1

Abbey Marie
03-01-2016, 02:10 PM
I worry that these are schemers who thought Trump would eventually lose to Hillary, and switched just to vote for him and rig the Republican primary. (That may well backfire, lol). I hope they truly are people who have come over from the dark side.

NightTrain
03-01-2016, 02:18 PM
I worry that these are schemers who thought Trump would eventually lose to Hillary, and switched just to vote for himand rig the Republican primary. (That may well backfire, lol). I hope they truly are people who have come over from the dark side.

Hmm... an Operation Chaos maneuver? I hadn't considered that.

I hope that's not the case.

aboutime
03-01-2016, 02:34 PM
Anger
Lack of enforcing laws
illegal immigration
racial issues
shitty economy/jobs
ever rising debt
ISIS
terror incidents all together over the past 15 years
military reduction
Obamacare
gay marriage and other gay things shoved down throats
trade losses
VA crumbling

That's just a few of the things that I think folks are pissed at. They want someone, anyone, to fix things, to pay attention to what many are saying instead of ignoring them. IF a gop candidate gets into the WH, I think we will see a lot of changes no matter who that is.

Honestly, no matter how much gloom and doom we can discuss in regard to Trump, or any candidate for that fact, I don't see any of them being as bad and harmful as Obama has been. Just simply never seeing him and Michelle again will be a huge improvement. :)

Jim. If I may add one item to your list? You forgot to mention how the United States of America has not had any leadership, nor a qualified leader/president since 2008.

NightTrain
03-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Threads merged.

LongTermGuy
03-01-2016, 04:26 PM
https://s.yimg.com/lo/api/res/1.2/AMsucSTtvujDcyMOu6XRsA--/YXBwaWQ9eW15O3E9NzU7dz02NDA7c209MQ--/http://slingstone.zenfs.com/offnetwork/72ed5023c3d074a948ad83efd37bcc18

Thousands of Massachusetts Democrats have denounced their party affiliations since January 1 to jump across the aisle and join the ranks of Independent or Republicans. Nearly 20,000 Bay State Democrats, or 1.3 percent of the party's Masachussetts population, left to vote in the Republican primary Tuesday. More than 16,300 of that group have "unenrolled" or become Independent voters, while 3,500 have joined the GOP. Mass. Secretary of State William Glavin attributed the switches to the "Trump phenomenon." The billionaire candidate has a significant lead over fellow top contenders Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz in recent state polls. ...

​http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/20000-massachusetts-democrats-switch-parties-before-super-tuesday/article/2584573

https://grrrgraphics.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/trump_wall_ben_garrison.jpg?w=640&h=508

glockmail
03-01-2016, 04:32 PM
"Trump Democrats".

LongTermGuy
03-01-2016, 07:16 PM
http://www.glocktalk.com/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fa57.foxnews.com%2Fmed ia2.foxnews.com%2FBrightCove%2F694940094001%2F2016 %2F02%2F29%2F780%2F438%2F694940094001_477986826200 1_a92a027f-642d-4aa0-a4da-477a59e37f55.jpg&hash=e4e389c58133dc815acb3958dc71a6d0

Bilgerat
03-01-2016, 07:23 PM
I worry that these are schemers who thought Trump would eventually lose to Hillary, and switched just to vote for him and rig the Republican primary. (That may well backfire, lol). I hope they truly are people who have come over from the dark side.

Hmm... an Operation Chaos maneuver? I hadn't considered that. I hope that's not the case.

I remember Limbaugh creating this during the Obama / Clinton vote.

aboutime
03-01-2016, 08:06 PM
http://www.glocktalk.com/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fa57.foxnews.com%2Fmed ia2.foxnews.com%2FBrightCove%2F694940094001%2F2016 %2F02%2F29%2F780%2F438%2F694940094001_477986826200 1_a92a027f-642d-4aa0-a4da-477a59e37f55.jpg&hash=e4e389c58133dc815acb3958dc71a6d0

That's GREAT NEWS. Problem is. All of them are Liars, and we all know. Liars never keep their word.

LongTermGuy
03-01-2016, 08:11 PM
That's GREAT NEWS. Problem is. All of them are Liars, and we all know. Liars never keep their word.

We will see how it goes....with the voting...

Black Diamond
03-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Seems like while Trump is having a movement, as Sessions called it, in some corners of the (D) party they are moving away from Clinton. It used to be that Mass. was a given for the D's. I read that Trump was doing well in NY where she should dominate as well.

-----

Nearly 20,000 Bay State Democrats have fled the party this winter, with thousands doing so to join the Republican ranks, according to the state’s top elections official.

Secretary of State William Galvin said more than 16,300 Democrats have shed their party affiliation and become independent voters since Jan. 1, while nearly 3,500 more shifted to the MassGOP ahead of tomorrow’s “Super Tuesday” presidential primary.

Galvin called both “significant” changes that dwarf similar shifts ahead of other primary votes, including in 2000, when some Democrats flocked from the party in order to cast a vote for Sen. John McCain in the GOP primary.

The primary reason? Galvin said his “guess” is simple: “The Trump phenomenon,” a reference to GOP frontrunner Donald Trump, who polls show enjoying a massive lead over rivals Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz and others among Massachusetts Republican voters.

“The tenor of the Republican campaign has been completely different from what we’ve seen in prior Republican presidential campaigns,” Galvin said. “You have to look no farther than the viewership for some of the televised debates.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/2016/02/amid_trump_surge_nearly_20000_mass_voters_quit_dem ocratic_party
So Trump is bringing more and more people into Republican party and Romney wants to come in and fuck it up......

tailfins
03-01-2016, 09:43 PM
I have no doubt that something profound is happening in this election cycle and that Trump somehow personifies it. It seems to have started with the personality of Obama but seems to have become full throttle with Trump. In each case the personality projected by the 'man' has been something that their competitors have not been able to duplicate successfully.

Exactly how it's all going to play out is very difficult to analyze and I haven't yet read anything that explains either the causes or how they may end up manifesting themselves down the road.

I know that my reaction to both Obama and Trump are not the norm, though not as far out as many others. I have concerns whenever there are sudden shifts in large numbers on what the issues are that bring out passion. I can't quite express why it disquiets me, but it does. 80 years ago most Americans would have been appalled at the idea of the government being as big and involved in their lives as it is today, and that would have been when FDR was in the midst of fighting for the New Deal and the success of fascism. It was the beginning of what is now playing out? I don't know.

It's easily explained: The US has become a society based on image and perception and not evidence. Elections are being dumbed-down to a choice between free stuff or tickled ears. Those of us who want freedom and prosperity are out of luck.

I guess no one bothered reading the last paragraph of the news article:

The 19,800 who left the Mass Dems represent about 1.3 percent of the 1.49 million enrolled in the party. And though the MassGOP gained several thousand voters, it actually lost more in the same time frame, when 5,911 quit the party to be unenrolled.

NightTrain
03-01-2016, 09:51 PM
I remember Limbaugh creating this during the Obama / Clinton vote.

Yep, I remember that as well.

It's a lowdown, underhanded thing to do... and it was funny as hell when that went down. And I think it backfired on us.

LongTermGuy
03-01-2016, 10:29 PM
Hmm... an Operation Chaos maneuver? I hadn't considered that.

I hope that's not the case.

​I considered everything....Trump it appears... is liked by all...(let all vote for him)Trump can and will Crush Hillary...(if she makes it that far) ...and like Trump said tonight in his victory speech..."It will be a sad day in America if she is allowed to run"....

....I feel she would be "allowed" to run for POTUS...But just who would allow it?...*Answer...a small few who are still in power for now on their way out...so be it...its on!