PDA

View Full Version : Check engine - VSC off

jimnyc
03-01-2016, 04:46 AM
So I'm driving down the road and then all of a sudden these lights start lighting up on my dash. I figured since it happened mid-driving, something was wrong. At first I pulled over as I wasn't sure. Did a little quick lookup on my phone and find out that VSC is for "vehicle stabilization control" - WTF? what is that all about, and what is wrong with my truck? I make a few calls and no one knows anything. I get back on road and just stop at my local garage on way home. They were closed, so I made appt for this morning.

I did a little more looking into it last night. I didn't think this would be correct, but tried anyway. I simply took the gas cap off, then tightly put it back on, then went and drove around for a few miles. Sure enough, it disappeared.

Here is what Toyota's website says about the VSC:

Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) Helps prevent wheels from slipping sideways when cornering or sudden steering

Now can someone explain to me, what in the world does this have to do with a gas cap, and why would this light up if a gas cap wasn't sealed properly?

Kathianne
03-01-2016, 05:44 AM
So I'm driving down the road and then all of a sudden these lights start lighting up on my dash. I figured since it happened mid-driving, something was wrong. At first I pulled over as I wasn't sure. Did a little quick lookup on my phone and find out that VSC is for "vehicle stabilization control" - WTF? what is that all about, and what is wrong with my truck? I make a few calls and no one knows anything. I get back on road and just stop at my local garage on way home. They were closed, so I made appt for this morning.

I did a little more looking into it last night. I didn't think this would be correct, but tried anyway. I simply took the gas cap off, then tightly put it back on, then went and drove around for a few miles. Sure enough, it disappeared.

Here is what Toyota's website says about the VSC:

Now can someone explain to me, what in the world does this have to do with a gas cap, and why would this light up if a gas cap wasn't sealed properly?

I don't know how the two are connected, but happens with my Mazda quite often. After the first 3 times, I became very cognizant of making sure there were at least 3 clicks when I put in gas, otherwise that light would more than likely light up.

darin
03-01-2016, 06:20 AM
They are unrelated - however yeah, the gas cap thing. Crock of shit. I've had a CEL on my Mazda since 2009 for the same thing. Three gas cap replacements later nothing changes. (shrug).

The stability control...hrm. Wonder if somehow it goes into a limp mode with a CEL?

jimnyc
03-01-2016, 06:27 AM
I don't know how the two are connected, but happens with my Mazda quite often. After the first 3 times, I became very cognizant of making sure there were at least 3 clicks when I put in gas, otherwise that light would more than likely light up.

That's what I normally do, 3 clicks, but probably screwed up. :(

They are unrelated - however yeah, the gas cap thing. Crock of shit. I've had a CEL on my Mazda since 2009 for the same thing. Three gas cap replacements later nothing changes. (shrug).

The stability control...hrm. Wonder if somehow it goes into a limp mode with a CEL?

Yeah, I dunno. :dunno: I'm glad it went away, but... Why disable the VSC if a damn cap ain't getting sealed properly?

You would know better than most - how the hell much different would my truck act without the VSC anyway?

darin
03-01-2016, 06:53 AM
Could be very different. The sensors are used to simulate a limited-slip rear end sometimes. Also can be used to keep the ass end on the pavement. As long as it can be shut off on purpose, I like the stability shit in cars. In my mazda with the DSC shut off (stability control) I could drive effortlessly across the road. With the TSC (traction) off too, the car would loop-de-loop in circles. Very skittish.

jimnyc
03-01-2016, 06:55 AM
Could be very different. The sensors are used to simulate a limited-slip rear end sometimes. Also can be used to keep the ass end on the pavement. As long as it can be shut off on purpose, I like the stability shit in cars.

Well this can't be shut off on purpose. Only thing I have is for ABS that can be turned off. Didn't even know I had this crap until it lit up!! Then again, ain't like I'm driving around in a spiffy little Mazda race car either! :)

darin
03-01-2016, 07:01 AM
Just need to tell you, Jim. I love you. Honestly cannot think of anyone I've never met that I need to meet more. You're kind of a computer dork. I'm okay with that. You're a goddamn STEELERS fan for pete's sake...

But you're a good dude.

That's all.

Don't crash.

:)

Kathianne
03-01-2016, 07:14 AM
Jim, I don't know if this helps, but the ABS on my car can be shut off on the gear changer. TCS (I don't know if it's just a different name for what you are talking about?) can be shut off/on below the dash, on my left-within reaching distance when driving, about a foot above the hood opener. Hadn't thought of that until this thread. ;)

jimnyc
03-01-2016, 07:25 AM
Just need to tell you, Jim. I love you. Honestly cannot think of anyone I've never met that I need to meet more. You're kind of a computer dork. I'm okay with that. You're a goddamn STEELERS fan for pete's sake...

But you're a good dude.

That's all.

Don't crash.

You rule, bro! We can eventually get together when you get back to the States. Even though I know you like to travel, and I hate it, I'll still drive and meet up. If I head north and west of NY? None of that love stuff once we meet though! LOL And yeah, I am a dork, but no one needs to know that. I look like more of a dirtbag, so the geekiness is hidden! And all the good folks in the world are Steelers fans!

jimnyc
03-01-2016, 07:26 AM
Jim, I don't know if this helps, but the ABS on my car can be shut off on the gear changer. TCS (I don't know if it's just a different name for what you are talking about?) can be shut off/on below the dash, on my left-within reaching distance when driving, about a foot above the hood opener. Hadn't thought of that until this thread. ;)

I can turn off the ABS from my center console, but the dopes put it flat next to the gear shifter, so that the dog can step on it all the time and then I see a green light blinking instead of an amber one!! :)

Gunny
03-01-2016, 07:32 AM
I can turn off the ABS from my center console, but the dopes put it flat next to the gear shifter, so that the dog can step on it all the time and then I see a green light blinking instead of an amber one!! :)

You don't even have a real dog. You got a rat that barks. :laugh:

jimnyc
03-01-2016, 07:39 AM

You just make fun of my best friend? He'll EFF you up if he ever meets you! Just look, he's a nasty little vermin! Don't ever touch his shit. And no, he's not scrawny or abused, he's just a shivering little psycho!! This was 8 years ago. You can hear the evil lady in the background towards the end, she hates the rat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQtCEqtbydY

Gunny
03-01-2016, 07:44 AM
You just make fun of my best friend? He'll EFF you up if he ever meets you! Just look, he's a nasty little vermin! Don't ever touch his shit. And no, he's not scrawny or abused, he's just a shivering little psycho!! This was 8 years ago. You can hear the evil lady in the background towards the end, she hates the rat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQtCEqtbydY

I got two of them Mexican chowhounds. I just wish the little barking spiders would eat their on damn food. The cats want the damned dog food and the dogs want the cat food. F*ckers. Qnd O gpt nevous Nelly. Little bitch is whining at the door right now cuz I kick here little ass out so can feed the furballs.

I'd rather have a horse.

jimnyc
03-01-2016, 07:54 AM
I got two of them Mexican chowhounds. I just wish the little barking spiders would eat their on damn food. The cats want the damned dog food and the dogs want the cat food. F*ckers. Qnd O gpt nevous Nelly. Little bitch is whining at the door right now cuz I kick here little ass out so can feed the furballs.

I'd rather have a horse.

That's funny. My rat steals the cats food non-stop, and then the poor cat looks at me to always refill his bowl. And then if the dog leaves anything in his bowl, the cat eats it and pukes EVERY time. So now I have to quickly toss out the dog food if he doesn't eat it all.

Gunny
03-01-2016, 08:00 AM
That's funny. My rat steals the cats food non-stop, and then the poor cat looks at me to always refill his bowl. And then if the dog leaves anything in his bowl, the cat eats it and pukes EVERY time. So now I have to quickly toss out the dog food if he doesn't eat it all.

You'd think the damned cars would learn t eat their crap in a timely manner, huh? Oh hell no. I'll just leave it laying around until I get back around to it. Never mind the chihuahuas think it's desert. Then they come around with that "you didn't feed me look".

Jeff
03-01-2016, 08:01 AM
Jim you remember that van I had bought that broke down on the way up North when you where with me, yea that did the same thing (kinda) hell running down 85 at about 75mph the light came on for tire slip as one of the front tires (front wheel drive) broke loose, yea lots of fun. According to what they told me is that basically everything is run but modules hooked to the computer, so when one goes bad others may act up as wheel, makes it hard as hell to fix without a computer diagnosis. Wound up being a bad fuel pump, seems the jackass that couldn't pay for it after buyinh it poured sugar in the tank (yea the old belief that sugar will lock the motor is basically false, it jams everything up first, not if ya pout like Karo syrup or even a coke in the tank you may cause serious issues with the engine but the old tale of packs of sugar will ruin a motor aren't correct, the sugar has to be in a liquid form or it just clogs everything up.

As for the gas cap, hell yea that sheot happened in my old pick up, if ya didn't have enough clicks on it I would get a check engine light come on, according to the mechanic it does that because everything has t0o be perfect for the engine to run correctly (I am guessing he was talking about air mixture )

ON the Ol ladies Charger there is no gas cap, when ya open the side door it is just wide open, the door locks the tank tight.

jimnyc
03-01-2016, 08:05 AM
You'd think the damned cars would learn t eat their crap in a timely manner, huh? Oh hell no. I'll just leave it laying around until I get back around to it. Never mind the chihuahuas think it's desert. Then they come around with that "you didn't feed me look".

All cats seem to think they can nibble on their hard food and leave it around all day. Not with dogs around! Dogs are pigs and no such thing as waiting!

Gunny
03-01-2016, 08:06 AM
I don't like my truck being smarter than I am. I used to could take them apart.

jimnyc
03-01-2016, 08:07 AM
I'm going around loosening up gas caps on every car I can going forward!! I bet 9/10 have no idea, just like me! :thumb:

Gunny
03-01-2016, 08:10 AM
I'm going around loosening up gas caps on every car I can going forward!! I bet 9/10 have no idea, just like me! :thumb:

Did you miss the part where they don't even have gas caps? They just got a freakin hole (shut up). Had to drive the GF car the other day. Holy crap. Barely tap the brakes and you're doing a windshield dive.

jimnyc
03-01-2016, 09:03 AM

But you're a good dude.

That's all.

Don't crash.

You rule, bro! We can eventually get together when you get back to the States. Even though I know you like to travel, and I hate it, I'll still drive and meet up. If I head north and west of NY? None of that love stuff once we meet though! LOL And yeah, I am a dork, but no one needs to know that. I look like more of a dirtbag, so the geekiness is hidden! And all the good folks in the world are Steelers fans!

I just did a search on Google maps to get an idea, just approx, how far from my area to yours. It's like 650 miles and about 10 hours or so. BUT - the best part? If we were to meet like halfway or so - the best place is PITTSBURGH!!! That's like 6 1/2 hours for me and about 400 miles. For you, about 300 and 4 1/2 hours. And all the terrible towels in the world!! :laugh: :towel:

NightTrain
03-01-2016, 09:04 AM
The only experience I had fighting a problem like this was on my MIL's van. It had all the bells & whistles and sensors everywhere.

The Traction Control would light up amber as soon as you drove it 200 feet or so, along with a pleasant DING! from the dash. Sometimes the ABS would light up at the same time, too. The funny thing was that it seemed to depend on humidity... sometimes it was acting fine, other times not.

It turned out to be a sensor down on the left front wheel that was going bad, and without it functioning right the computer couldn't tell if the left wheel was slipping or not, which set off a series of other sensors not working right.

It was a few hundred bucks to have it fixed. The bad news is the problem came back 6 months later - I told her to get rid of it. Problem solved!

Perianne
03-01-2016, 11:26 AM

At least your dog doesn't eat batteries (or whatever) out of the trash and then fill the car with vomit!

NightTrain
03-01-2016, 12:50 PM
At least your dog doesn't eat batteries (or whatever) out of the trash and then fill the car with vomit!

Your dog eats batteries? That's gotta hurt!

Elessar
03-01-2016, 02:20 PM
O offense to Jimmy...but we used to call them CHIRPs...because they chirp rather than bark!:laugh2:

glockmail
03-01-2016, 04:31 PM
Why disable the VSC if a damn cap ain't getting sealed properly?

The VSC may not be disabled.

Modern cars are basically computers with engines and 4 wheels. There are sensors all over the place that tell the computer what is going on. Add to that, the computer does periodic tests to see if the sensors are doing their thing correctly. And just like any computer, there are bugs in it that can give the driver false readings.

In the case of your gas cap, the EPA has gotten involved. There is a huge amount of emissions from a gas tank- vapor recovery system that isn't working properly. So the EPA has mandated that car computers test the system periodically to see if it is sealed. The gas cap is obviously the most vulnerable part of the system, but various O-rings or other seals, especially in an older vehicle, could fail as well. If this test finds a failure, or even a partial failure, then the computer should give you some sort of notice, usually a light somewhere, and that should alert you to service the car. Your mechanic will plug into the OBD port and "read" the trouble code that has been set.

Back to the gas cap- how to fix it without taking it to a mechanic. Take the cap off and clean the rubber seal. Carefully inspect it to see if there is an unusual wear pattern. Also inspect the sealing surface on the fill tube, as these can get scuffed up or dented by not being careful when filling up. If the cap is damaged, replace it and if the fill pipe is damaged, repair it.

Here is an important tip- lubricate the seal with silicone after you've cleaned it. Buy a $5 can of silicone spray and wet a paper towel, then lubricate the rubber with the moist towel. The silicone will allow the cap to seal better. Do it again, say every few months or so, be careful when you fill up, and you'll likely never see this problem again.

namvet
03-01-2016, 06:55 PM
if the dash say 5 4 3 2...........then run !!!