PDA

View Full Version : Brian France endorses

jimnyc
03-01-2016, 06:15 AM
I know that at first glance this doesn't sound like much, but Nascar is a HUGE business, drawing in like 100,000 fans at nearly every event, depending of course. And that's only those willing to pay the huge prices to see the races, there are millions of others at home that are die hard race fans.

In addition to this one, I think a lot of the other 'non-traditional' endorsements will help. Much different than we are used to, but reaching voters nonetheless.

-----

Brian France puts NASCAR in crosshairs with Trump endorsement

On the eve of Super Tuesday 7,500 people jammed into a basketball arena on the campus of Valdosta State, down deep in South Georgia. And then out came Donald Trump, out amid the waving signs and recording cell phones, and after rolling through his latest poll numbers, he said he was ready with a special, surprise announcement.

"Do we love NASCAR?" Trump asked.

The crowd loved NASCAR and so here came "NASCAR" or at least enough of it to throw the sport smack dab in the middle of a contentious Republican primary, reversing course from last summer and rankling Marcus Lemonis, a high-level executive who, like the Donald himself, is a highly successful entrepreneur who stars on a reality television show.

In the process, NASCAR, and sports in general, were reminded of the dangers of wading into impassioned waters of the political world, where supporting anyone is sure to anger someone. That included Lemonis, who on Monday led the charge for fans who'd prefer their sports league stays neutral, if only because this might actually matter.

"If the people that like and watch NASCAR vote for Donald Trump, they can cancel the election right now," Trump noted. "Nobody [else] can win."

Trump may be correct, at least with Tuesday's voting taking place across parts of the sport's traditional southern base. It's why Trump was so excited to bring out his latest endorsements.

It started with Brian France, NASCAR's CEO. This one was significant. France doesn't just run NASCAR, his family is synonymous with the sport since his grandfather Bill Sr. helped found it in 1948 in Daytona Beach, Fla. While NASCAR later noted that the endorsement was a "private, personal decision by Brian" and not an official proclamation, it's almost impossible to separate the two. Any limitations to the support were not apparent at the nationally televised rally.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/brian-france-puts-nascar-all-in-with-trump-endorsement-063418515.html

Jeff
03-01-2016, 08:10 AM
Glad he finally did something worth while. :salute:

Perianne
03-01-2016, 09:35 AM

I know NOTHING about NASCAR, but this post was funny. Jeff

hahahahahaha

Jeff
03-02-2016, 08:51 AM
I know NOTHING about NASCAR, but this post was funny. @Jeff (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1539)

hahahahahaha

Brian kind of inherited his good fortune with Nascar, you could say he grew up with the ol golden spoon in his mouth and it seems to me (at least) that most calls he makes are actually made by someone with a bigger mouth.

jimnyc
03-02-2016, 10:54 AM

While France endorsed, they also brought out Bill Elliott, David Ragan, Ryan Newman and then Chase Elliott too.

Perianne
03-02-2016, 11:32 AM
While France endorsed, they also brought out Bill Elliott, David Ragan, Ryan Newman and then Chase Elliott too.

Again, I know nothing about NASCAR.

You are telling me there is a driver named "Chase"? So a guy who goes around chasing other drivers in a car has that name?

I should change my first name to Nurse.

Reminds me of Shooter McGavin.

Like Jerry Seinfeld said, if you name your kid "Jeeves", don't be surprised if he ends up a butler. :)

jimnyc
03-02-2016, 12:21 PM
Again, I know nothing about NASCAR.

You are telling me there is a driver named "Chase"? So a guy who goes around chasing other drivers in a car has that name?

I should change my first name to Nurse.

Reminds me of Shooter McGavin.

Like Jerry Seinfeld said, if you name your kid "Jeeves", don't be surprised if he ends up a butler. :)

Yup! Bill Elliott is a former driver who is HUGE down in parts of Georgia. Chase Elliott is his son, who just took over the #24 car in the Sprint cup series this year - and that's Jeff Gordon's number who just retired!

sundaydriver
03-02-2016, 01:18 PM
I know that at first glance this doesn't sound like much, but Nascar is a HUGE business, drawing in like 100,000 fans at nearly every event, depending of course. And that's only those willing to pay the huge prices to see the races, there are millions of others at home that are die hard race fans.

In addition to this one, I think a lot of the other 'non-traditional' endorsements will help. Much different than we are used to, but reaching voters nonetheless/QUOTE]

Thanks to Brian France attendance is down along with TV viewership due to poor decisions.

[QUOTE=Jeff;801627]Brian kind of inherited his good fortune with Nascar, you could say he grew up with the ol golden spoon in his mouth and it seems to me (at least) that most calls he makes are actually made by someone with a bigger mouth.

The 3rd generation thing. Grandpa built it, Dad expanded and grew it, and Brian hasn't a clue. Sold his $12 million house in California to move to Carolina to take over the family business with a now personal worth over $1 billion.

jimnyc
03-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Thanks to Brian France attendance is down along with TV viewership due to poor decisions.

Perhaps, but I still see the 100,000+ crowds and passionate fans. While I do believe those fans are tired of some of the dumb decisions, it's still one huge sport that has a monster following.