PDA

View Full Version : Same Anger During Reagan

Kathianne
03-01-2016, 12:48 PM
Reagan was a weak loser too! I admit to not being enamored with Reagan, but weak is not one of the criticisms I'd have made:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/01/trump-used-anti-obama-riffs-against-reagan-first.html

Trump Used Anti-Obama Riffs Against Reagan FirstThe Donald today says the Gipper was a ‘great president,’ but his first foray into politics was spent ripping the commander-in-chief as an amiable dunce.

Donald Trump was up at a podium, saying that America had gone weak and was headed for disaster.

“We don’t have tough people. We have nice people,” Trump said. "But I’m tired of nice people, already. I mean, too much.”

But this was not 2016 and Trump was not talking about President Obama.

This was 1987 and Trump was denouncing the course of the country as set by President Reagan, who was famously known for being the nicest of guys.

“I’m tired of nice people already in Washington,” Trump told a Rotary Club gathering at Yoken’s restaurant in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. “Let somebody be in there who doesn’t just smile nicely, who’s not just shaking hands. I want someone in there who knows how to negotiate, because that’s what it’s all about now. And, if the right person isn’t in office, you’re going to see a catastrophe.”

America, he said, was being pushed around and fleeced as it fell ever deeper into debt.

“They’re ripping us off left and right,” he said. “They knock the hell out of the United States. Do they say, ‘Thank you?’ No. Do they like us? Not particularly...”

He went on, “We are a country that is losing $200 billion a year. We are supporting, we are literally supporting Japan, which is the greatest money machine ever created, and we created it to a large extent. Let’s not kid ourselves.”

He continued, “We’re supporting Saudi Arabia. We’re supporting Kuwait. We’re bringing in ships to Kuwait through the gulf. We’re losing our men. We’re spending billions of dollars. So what’s happening? They don’t contribute one penny of this defense.”

He offered a solution for the deficit, which was tripling under Reagan.

“Why can’t we have a share of their money?” he asked. “We should have Japan and we should have Saudi Arabia and we should have all of these countries who are literally ripping us off left and right... They should pay for our $200-billion deficit.”That raised the unspoken question of how this might be accomplished.

<figure class="Image" data-reactid=".0.1.1.2.$0.2.3.$14.0" style="margin: 0px; max-width: 100%; display: inline-block; width: 635px;"></figure>

NightTrain
03-01-2016, 01:09 PM
He's been consistent with the idea of countries reimbursing us for bailing them out of a bad situation, and I agree with that. AFAIK, Kuwait never gave us a dime for the billions we spent kicking Saddam out.

fj1200
03-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Cost

The cost of the war to the United States was calculated by the U.S. Congress to be $61.1 billion.[211] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War#cite_note-autogenerated2-212) About $52 billion of that amount was paid by other countries: $36 billion by Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and other Arab states of the Persian Gulf; $16 billion by Germany and Japan (which sent no combat forces due to their constitutions). About 25% of Saudi Arabia's contribution was paid in the form of in-kind services to the troops, such as food and transportation.[211] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War#cite_note-autogenerated2-212) U.S. troops represented about 74% of the combined force, and the global cost was therefore higher.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-01-2016, 01:22 PM
Reagan was a weak loser too! I admit to not being enamored with Reagan, but weak is not one of the criticisms I'd have made:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/01/trump-used-anti-obama-riffs-against-reagan-first.html

Trump Used Anti-Obama Riffs Against Reagan FirstThe Donald today says the Gipper was a ‘great president,’ but his first foray into politics was spent ripping the commander-in-chief as an amiable dunce.

Donald Trump was up at a podium, saying that America had gone weak and was headed for disaster.

“We don’t have tough people. We have nice people,” Trump said. "But I’m tired of nice people, already. I mean, too much.”

But this was not 2016 and Trump was not talking about President Obama.

This was 1987 and Trump was denouncing the course of the country as set by President Reagan, who was famously known for being the nicest of guys.

“I’m tired of nice people already in Washington,” Trump told a Rotary Club gathering at Yoken’s restaurant in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. “Let somebody be in there who doesn’t just smile nicely, who’s not just shaking hands. I want someone in there who knows how to negotiate, because that’s what it’s all about now. And, if the right person isn’t in office, you’re going to see a catastrophe.”

America, he said, was being pushed around and fleeced as it fell ever deeper into debt.

“They’re ripping us off left and right,” he said. “They knock the hell out of the United States. Do they say, ‘Thank you?’ No. Do they like us? Not particularly...”

He went on, “We are a country that is losing $200 billion a year. We are supporting, we are literally supporting Japan, which is the greatest money machine ever created, and we created it to a large extent. Let’s not kid ourselves.”

He continued, “We’re supporting Saudi Arabia. We’re supporting Kuwait. We’re bringing in ships to Kuwait through the gulf. We’re losing our men. We’re spending billions of dollars. So what’s happening? They don’t contribute one penny of this defense.”

He offered a solution for the deficit, which was tripling under Reagan.

“Why can’t we have a share of their money?” he asked. “We should have Japan and we should have Saudi Arabia and we should have all of these countries who are literally ripping us off left and right... They should pay for our $200-billion deficit.”That raised the unspoken question of how this might be accomplished.

<figure class="Image" data-reactid=".0.1.1.2.$0.2.3.$14.0" style="margin: 0px; max-width: 100%; display: inline-block; width: 635px;"></figure>

He was right then and he is right now. America has been getting fleeced by those countries hard and heavy ever since the Carter years.
The man was way ahead of the times it seems to me.
Look at the tens of billions we spent liberating Kuwait--not one dime paid back and we did not get their oil.
I am 100% with him on that and have been for many decades now.-Tyr

fj1200
03-01-2016, 01:30 PM
He was right then and he is right now. America has been getting fleeced by those countries hard and heavy ever since the Carter years.
The man was way ahead of the times it seems to me.
Look at the tens of billions we spent liberating Kuwait--not one dime paid back and we did not get their oil.
I am 100% with him on that and have been for many decades now.-Tyr

And how exactly are we getting fleeced?

Kathianne
03-01-2016, 01:32 PM
He's been consistent with the idea of countries reimbursing us for bailing them out of a bad situation, and I agree with that. AFAIK, Kuwait never gave us a dime for the billions we spent kicking Saddam out.
1987 predates that. What he's beeb consistent with is a Putin type of strongman approach. I don't think that's any better than leading from behind. He praised the Chinese for Tiananmen Square response. Pretty sure he's been consistent with 1st amendment position too.

NightTrain
03-01-2016, 01:57 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_War

I stand corrected!