PDA

View Full Version : Simple People

Perianne
03-01-2016, 02:34 PM
I went to Wal-Mart a few days ago. While checking out, I glanced over to the next register and saw a young woman who was working at the register. She looked as sweet as anyone could be. But she also had no light in her eyes.... a dim-witted woman. I continued to look and felt pity for her. What chance do the simple-minded people have in this competitive world?

About a year or so ago, I was talking to another nurse who came from the hills of Appalachia. She spoke of the people there, how the smart ones got out, but the simpletons remained behind collecting welfare and other government assistance. There was no future for them. They were intellectually unable to better themselves. Of course they bred among themselves, creating more dependents for the rest of us to support.

Most of us are limited only by what we are willing to do to get ahead. Some people can't do any better because they have insufficient intelligence and the intellectual inability to do any better. Do we as a society owe these people anything?

indago
03-01-2016, 05:53 PM
NO!

Perianne
03-02-2016, 11:44 AM
Bump.

Discuss this now.

CSM
03-02-2016, 12:22 PM
I went to Wal-Mart a few days ago. While checking out, I glanced over to the next register and saw a young woman who was working at the register. She looked as sweet as anyone could be. But she also had no light in her eyes.... a dim-witted woman. I continued to look and felt pity for her. What chance do the simple-minded people have in this competitive world?

About a year or so ago, I was talking to another nurse who came from the hills of Appalachia. She spoke of the people there, how the smart ones got out, but the simpletons remained behind collecting welfare and other government assistance. There was no future for them. They were intellectually unable to better themselves. Of course they bred among themselves, creating more dependents for the rest of us to support.

Most of us are limited only by what we are willing to do to get ahead. Some people can't do any better because they have insufficient intelligence and the intellectual inability to do any better. Do we as a society owe these people anything?

Hmmm....perhaps some of what you see in their eyes is a loss of hope. I have no doubt that some may be lack of intelligence. I too have seen some young folks with out a spark...no ambition, no dreams, and nothing that excites them. They are dull though not necessarily dimwitted. they have not been taught how to be creative or ambitious or even responsible for themselves. Products of parents who don't care, an education system that churns out mindless, unthinking and selfish individuals that firmly believe it's all someone else's fault and someone else's responsibility to take care of them. Parents who are too lazy to take care of their kids and let others do it for them...

Kudos to those teachers that do try to make kids use their brains ... that try to teach kids how to think rather than WHAT to think.... that cannot be easy in today's society!

Gunny
03-03-2016, 09:28 AM
Hmmm....perhaps some of what you see in their eyes is a loss of hope. I have no doubt that some may be lack of intelligence. I too have seen some young folks with out a spark...no ambition, no dreams, and nothing that excites them. They are dull though not necessarily dimwitted. they have not been taught how to be creative or ambitious or even responsible for themselves. Products of parents who don't care, an education system that churns out mindless, unthinking and selfish individuals that firmly believe it's all someone else's fault and someone else's responsibility to take care of them. Parents who are too lazy to take care of their kids and let others do it for them...

Kudos to those teachers that do try to make kids use their brains ... that try to teach kids how to think rather than WHAT to think.... that cannot be easy in today's society!

Seems like I think I lived through that story, Sergeant Major. Ooh-f-ing rah.

Jeff
03-03-2016, 09:56 AM
Seems like I think I lived through that story, Sergeant Major. Ooh-f-ing rah.

I have to agree with Gunny here, no matter someones learning level there is always a way to better yourself. I drove a truck and made great money doing it, yes it took a major toll on my health ( running night and day with no sleep will do that ) but it was I who thought school was all fun and games. There are decent paying jobs all over if you aren't afraid to use your back, work long hours ect... Those that say they are trapped are full of sheot, they are just lazy and don't want to work.

When I moved south I did so with just about no money in my pocket, I had lined a driving job up so no worries, wrong, I moved to SC during a heat wave that broke all records that year (mostly for being 100 plus for the most consecutive days) well all the trucks the company had where breaking down, the A/C's that is, so the spare truck (the one I was to get) was lent out to the drivers who's trucks where being worked on. I was working for $25 a day (training pay, which I was assured would stop as soon as my drug test came back, which it did the first day by lunch) but they didn't have a truck for me to drive, so for 4 days I drove another drivers truck while he crashed in the sleeper all for that $25 a day, yea I quit on the 5th day, with very little money in my pocket I had to take care of my family some how so the following week I excepted 3 different jobs, the first was in a car wash (yea that wasn't going to work but hell it gave me enough change to buy groceries) the second (I actually got the call for this job at lunch time at the car wash) was working at a truck stop (again not a good job but it paid more that the car wash :laugh:) so come Tuesday I was working there, by Wednesday I got a call from the Department of public utilities and took a job as a equipment operator, this was a good job but it just didn't pay like a over the road driver does so I kept it for about 6 months and then went back on the road.

Moral of the story, if ya want to work and move yourself up the jobs are out there, but sometimes ya have to swallow your pride and just do what ya have to do until the right job comes along.