PDA

View Full Version : Mitt Romney is doing Donald Trump a BIG favor

jimnyc
03-03-2016, 01:02 PM
Mitt Romney will savage Donald Trump as deeply dishonest and fundamentally unelectable in a much-touted speech in Utah today, an attempt by the 2012 Republican presidential nominee to force a re-examination of the real estate billionaire before he gets any closer to locking up the GOP nomination.

"Here's what I know," Romney will say according to prepared remarks released Thursday morning. "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud. His promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University. He's playing the American public for suckers: He gets a free ride to the White House and all we get is a lousy hat." (You can make your own "lousy" hat here!)

Harsh words! Particularly from the decidedly gentlemanly Romney.

This, you might think to yourself, is, finally, the moment when the establishment — such as it is — stands up to Trump, screaming "enough" at the top of its lungs and, in so doing, bringing the party back from the brink of an total electoral disaster.

You would be, almost certainly, totally wrong. In fact, being attacked by Romney is more likely to cement Trump's hold on the nomination than loosen his grip on it. Here's why.

Romney is the face of the establishment. He's just the sort of guy the party loves — a measured statesman who views running for office as a civic duty. He's "serious." He has "gravitas." He is "trustworthy" and "steady."

He's also the embodiment of everything Trump has built his entire campaign against. Romney is too cautious, too mannerly, not tough enough for Trump's taste. He's the face of a Republican Party that lost twice to Barack Obama. He's part of the problem, not the solution.

Rather than undercut Trump, Romney's attacks bolster him. And Trump knows it — going all in against Romney in an interview on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Thursday.

"He was a disaster," Trump said of Romney. "He ran one of the worst campaigns in presidential history. That was an election that should have been won by Republicans." Trump also noted that Romney "begged me for my endorsement four years ago" — an endorsement he eventually gave (as immortalized in the picture at the top of the post).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/03/03/mitt-romney-is-attacking-donald-trump-as-a-phony-and-a-fraud-thats-great-news-for-trump/

DLT
03-03-2016, 01:58 PM
Mitt Romney will savage Donald Trump as deeply dishonest and fundamentally unelectable in a much-touted speech in Utah today, an attempt by the 2012 Republican presidential nominee to force a re-examination of the real estate billionaire before he gets any closer to locking up the GOP nomination.

"Here's what I know," Romney will say according to prepared remarks released Thursday morning. "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud. His promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University. He's playing the American public for suckers: He gets a free ride to the White House and all we get is a lousy hat." (You can make your own "lousy" hat here!)

Harsh words! Particularly from the decidedly gentlemanly Romney.

This, you might think to yourself, is, finally, the moment when the establishment — such as it is — stands up to Trump, screaming "enough" at the top of its lungs and, in so doing, bringing the party back from the brink of an total electoral disaster.

You would be, almost certainly, totally wrong. In fact, being attacked by Romney is more likely to cement Trump's hold on the nomination than loosen his grip on it. Here's why.

Romney is the face of the establishment. He's just the sort of guy the party loves — a measured statesman who views running for office as a civic duty. He's "serious." He has "gravitas." He is "trustworthy" and "steady."

He's also the embodiment of everything Trump has built his entire campaign against. Romney is too cautious, too mannerly, not tough enough for Trump's taste. He's the face of a Republican Party that lost twice to Barack Obama. He's part of the problem, not the solution.

Rather than undercut Trump, Romney's attacks bolster him. And Trump knows it — going all in against Romney in an interview on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" on Thursday.

"He was a disaster," Trump said of Romney. "He ran one of the worst campaigns in presidential history. That was an election that should have been won by Republicans." Trump also noted that Romney "begged me for my endorsement four years ago" — an endorsement he eventually gave (as immortalized in the picture at the top of the post).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/03/03/mitt-romney-is-attacking-donald-trump-as-a-phony-and-a-fraud-thats-great-news-for-trump/

Romney jumped the shark and went AWOL in 2012. Does anyone really care what he has to bleat NOW? I think not. I don't think his stance will help or hurt ....totally irrelevant.

Perianne
03-03-2016, 02:04 PM
Romney jumped the shark and went AWOL in 2012. Does anyone really care what he has to bleat NOW? I think not. I don't think his stance will help or hurt ....totally irrelevant.

I think it just made him look bad. I was very fond of Romney. He looks petulant now.

DLT, did I say how happy I am to see you here? :)

DLT
03-03-2016, 02:15 PM
I think it just made him look bad. I was very fond of Romney. He looks petulant now.

DLT, did I say how happy I am to see you here? :)

Yeah, I don't know what the hell Mitt "thought" he was going to accomplish. Like the typical establishment twits, he actually labors under the false assumption that we want to hear what he has to bleat, after all this time. That, plus....because of our feelings re: the Mitt twit irrelevancy, his comments are actually working FOR Trump now. STFU Mitt.

Yes, and thank you so much for that. I'm happy to be here!

Perianne
03-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I don't know what the hell Mitt "thought" he was going to accomplish. Like the typical establishment twits, he actually labors under the false assumption that we want to hear what he has to bleat, after all this time. That, plus....because of our feelings re: the Mitt twit irrelevancy, his comments are actually working FOR Trump now. STFU Mitt.

Yes, and thank you so much for that. I'm happy to be here!

Actually, this is a pretty nice place. It is much slower than other sites, but it grows on you. I am able to read every post here.

I have to work tonight, so I am gonna eat a bite and then take a nap. I hope to sleep; these two dogs have been passing gas all day. :)

DLT
03-03-2016, 02:28 PM
Actually, this is a pretty nice place. It is much slower than other sites, but it grows on you. I am able to read every post here.

I have to work tonight, so I am gonna eat a bite and then take a nap. I hope to sleep; these two dogs have been passing gas all day. :)

Hahahaha! I used to have boxers, male and female and then we had a litter and kept one female. Yeah...they were major gasbags....to the point that you had to have fans going all the time to be able to breathe!