PDA

View Full Version : Master Lock padlocks - junk!

NightTrain
03-05-2016, 12:54 AM
Many of us have our sheds and valuables protected with a padlock, and Master Lock is considered to be top notch.

Watch this guy open a brand new one by tapping with a hammer :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pU9MB5XPsp4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yikes! I'll be getting rid of those tomorrow.

Elessar
03-05-2016, 02:15 AM
Many of us have our sheds and valuables protected with a padlock, and Master Lock is considered to be top notch.

I worked with and on locks as a locksmith when I was "Security Chief" on an installation.

Master is fairly good, but the finest is BEST locks. Everything they make is from bar stock bronze
and not poured blends. BEST uses a 7 pin core system....the rest 4 or 5. You cannot break
one open with a hammer and the shackles are darn near impervious to only the largest
bolt cutters.

Quikset and Sclaghe are cheap as hell and easily broken and picked. I can open a Master with a ballpeen
and chisel...

NightTrain
03-05-2016, 08:36 AM
I worked with and on locks as a locksmith when I was "Security Chief" on an installation.

Master is fairly good, but the finest is BEST locks. Everything they make is from bar stock bronze
and not poured blends. BEST uses a 7 pin core system....the rest 4 or 5. You cannot break
one open with a hammer and the shackles are darn near impervious to only the largest
bolt cutters.

Quikset and Sclaghe are cheap as hell and easily broken and picked. I can open a Master with a ballpeen
and chisel...

Good to know!

BEST is the brand all the major telecom companies use up here to secure the gates and doors to cell sites. Never really thought about it before, but that's probably the reason.

We never go out of town on a trip without a 3 foot "Master Key" with us - a big set of bolt cutters. Too many times we arrived at the site without the right key - someone had changed out locks without telling anyone. 4 guys standing around at the gate drinking coffee gets expensive real fast.

jimnyc
03-05-2016, 08:53 AM
I had just saw this yesterday as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jJP0CcuJyE

NightTrain
03-05-2016, 08:57 AM

Saw that one yesterday, too.

That guy got mobbed in the comments about using those cheap locks. "Try that shit with a Master Lock, you wienie!" ... which is how I arrived at the Master Lock hammer trick! lol

jimnyc
03-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Saw that one yesterday, too.

That guy got mobbed in the comments about using those cheap locks. "Try that shit with a Master Lock, you wienie!" ... which is how I arrived at the Master Lock hammer trick! lol

When I was younger we used to hang out at the apartment complex down the end of my street. At basement level is where they had all of the wash rooms. But when closed, they were locked with your typical master locks, and yep, I remember that vividly that they were Master!! Anyway, I used to just grab a brick, and come down and nail it where you clicked it locked and it would break it open usually within 2-3 hits.

NightTrain
03-05-2016, 09:05 AM
When I was younger we used to hang out at the apartment complex down the end of my street. At basement level is where they had all of the wash rooms. But when closed, they were locked with your typical master locks, and yep, I remember that vividly that they were Master!! Anyway, I used to just grab a brick, and come down and nail it where you clicked it locked and it would break it open usually within 2-3 hits.

Why you little hooligan!

Let me guess - Jeff taught you all those juvenile delinquent tricks, yeah?

jimnyc
03-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Why you little hooligan!

Let me guess - Jeff taught you all those juvenile delinquent tricks, yeah?

No way, ask Jeff, I taught him all the devious stuff! Jeff was just a drinker then, I was the benign lawbreaker! :thumb:

Elessar
03-05-2016, 10:54 AM
Good to know!

BEST is the brand all the major telecom companies use up here to secure the gates and doors to cell sites. Never really thought about it before, but that's probably the reason.

We never go out of town on a trip without a 3 foot "Master Key" with us - a big set of bolt cutters. Too many times we arrived at the site without the right key - someone had changed out locks without telling anyone. 4 guys standing around at the gate drinking coffee gets expensive real fast.

The only drawback is that BEST is usually used on larger commercial places, and rarely a domestic site.
However, a good locksmith may be able to provide one. Ohh...BEST was bought out by or merged with Stanley
a couple of years back.

Elessar
03-05-2016, 01:29 PM

The bodies of those locks in the demo are cheap, poured pot metal. You do not even
need a pair of wrenches to bust that crap. A ballpeen will do it instantly.

Why do people put up such videos? <not you>....teaching others how to break and enter??

NightTrain
03-05-2016, 01:32 PM
The bodies of those locks in the demo are cheap, poured pot metal. You do not even
need a pair of wrenches to bust that crap. A ballpeen will do it instantly.

Why do people put up such videos? <not you="">....teaching others how to break and enter??

I don't know, but he got his ass kicked in the comments! </not>:laugh:

LongTermGuy
03-05-2016, 08:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDEqC2PfbYU

:laugh: