PDA

View Full Version : Dinner at Work

Perianne
03-05-2016, 02:37 AM
One of the girls went to Texas Roadhouse to get dinner for all of us. I got country chicken, baked potato, and a salad.

Although against the rules, we have to eat at the nurses' station because there is not enough staff to cover all the patients.

Where I work there is an intensive care unit (ICU) at the north end of the hall. That is where I usually work. In spite of what some may think, I am a very skilled nurse. So I wind up working with the more difficult patients.

The ICU nurses' station seat where I was sitting and charting is about 10-15 feet from patient B. He has frequent, smelly diarrhea.

Anyway, I have all of my patients cared for and put down for their night's sleep. I am very hungry, since it is after 11 pm and I haven't eaten anything since breakfast. I microwave my food and sit down to eat.

At that point, patient D complains and needs to be suctioned. Suctioning involves using a small plastic tube to place down the tracheostomy to suck out nice, thick, respiratory secretions. When I was a new nurse, respiratory secretions made me gag. Nowadays, it's nothing to me. If you have ever walked along a sidewalk and noticed a glob of thick, disgusting, yellow mucus on the concrete, that is what comes from the lungs sometimes. I suck it out.

When I come back, I find that patient B has had diarrhea again. I go and help the aide clean the patient. There is something special about the diarrhea produced by tube feeding. It has an evil all its own.

After that is completed, I go back to my food and attempt to eat.

I get a few bites down when patient A's sat monitoring drops below normal. I go and fix that situation. While in there, I notice the patient's tube feeding has become disconnected from the PEG tube and has spilled into the bed. The aide and I change the patient's bedding, all the while hearing complaints by the patient.

The food is still there when I get back. I finish eating with the smell of fresh diarrhea in the air. The food was tasty.

indago
03-05-2016, 06:50 AM
And life goes on...

jimnyc
03-05-2016, 10:10 AM
One of the girls went to Texas Roadhouse to get dinner for all of us. I got country chicken, baked potato, and a salad.

Excellent choice, but you should really get a filet next time, or a NY strip! Yummy!

NightTrain
03-05-2016, 10:18 AM
I have to hand it to you medical professionals... there's no way I could eat after doing that. And a trach suctioning is one of the worst smells I've ever experienced, when my little brother did it I was almost floored by that horrible smell. It's as bad as a moose shot through the esophagus, and that's putrid.

Gunny
03-05-2016, 10:18 AM
Excellent choice, but you should really get a filet next time, or a NY strip! Yummy!

What have you been smoking? No wonder your brothers don't like you. Geez.

It's called chicken fried steak in Texas (that country fried crap with brown gravy is from the South). And I want a porterhouse, cooked by me, medium, with a baked potato, asparaqus, corn on the cob and banan cream pie for desert.
You yanks need to lean to eat chow.

jimnyc
03-05-2016, 10:30 AM
What have you been smoking? No wonder your brothers don't like you. Geez.

It's called chicken fried steak in Texas (that country fried crap with brown gravy is from the South). And I want a porterhouse, cooked by me, medium, with a baked potato, asparaqus, corn on the cob and banan cream pie for desert.
You yanks need to lean to eat chow.

So wait a minute. The chicken fried steak I know is the stuff with the gravy. Then what the hell is it in Texas? Picture?

I agree, I forgot the Porterhouse, and I'll take that in a heartbeat. I guess I'm slowly forgetting the good foods as my wife is slowly trying to diet me to death!

Gunny
03-05-2016, 10:45 AM
So wait a minute. The chicken fried steak I know is the stuff with the gravy. Then what the hell is it in Texas? Picture?

I agree, I forgot the Porterhouse, and I'll take that in a heartbeat. I guess I'm slowly forgetting the good foods as my wife is slowly trying to diet me to death!

You mentioned steak and pulled out a NY strip.

Chicken fried steak is actually chopped, breaded and cooked in white gravy.

jimnyc
03-05-2016, 10:50 AM
You mentioned steak and pulled out a NY strip.

Chicken fried steak is actually chopped, breaded and cooked in white gravy.

And that crap is gross!

Gimme any steak and I'm a happy camper! Porterhouse, strip, filet, ribeye. tbone, skirt...

And having some good portabella (sp?) mushrooms is a great addition!

Gunny
03-05-2016, 10:53 AM
And that crap is gross!

Gimme any steak and I'm a happy camper! Porterhouse, strip, filet, ribeye. tbone, skirt...

And having some good portabella (sp?) mushrooms is a great addition!

Guess I ain't inviting you for dinner. Not if I want to get any of the ribeyes. Or mushrooms. I love skirt steak. And I don't share.:laugh:

jimnyc
03-05-2016, 10:57 AM
Guess I ain't inviting you for dinner. Not if I want to get any of the ribeyes. Or mushrooms. I love skirt steak. And I don't share.:laugh:

Ask Jeff how I roll - just get ANY chicken and steaks and start up the grill and give me a chair. I'll eat that stuff fresh off the grill, no toppings and no sides, just gimme a fork. I don't share either, but happy to buy enough for both of us!!

Abbey Marie
03-05-2016, 11:11 AM
Ask Jeff how I roll - just get ANY chicken and steaks and start up the grill and give me a chair. I'll eat that stuff fresh off the grill, no toppings and no sides, just gimme a fork. I don't share either, but happy to buy enough for both of us!!

I can just see you and devil dog fighting over a steak!