PDA

View Full Version : Voting Blocs

Perianne
03-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Of the Republican candidates, here (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/03/02/us/elections/important-voting-blocs-republican-candidates.html) are the most important voting blocs.

Trump - "Tells it like it is", "Prefers outsider"

Cruz - "Shared values", "Evangelical"

Rubio - "Can win", "Political experience"

Kasich - "Opposes ban on Muslims", "Political experience", other things

Kathianne
03-06-2016, 07:49 PM
I'm a bit confused:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bloc

Full Definition of bloc

1a : a temporary combination of parties in a legislative assembly

b : a group of legislators who act together for some common purpose irrespective of party lines

2a : a combination of persons, groups, or nations forming a unit with a common interest or purpose <a bloc of voters>

b : a group of nations united by treaty or agreement for mutual support or joint action

Did you mean 'qualities' that these men or their supporters claim they possess?

LongTermGuy
03-06-2016, 08:08 PM
Of the Republican candidates, here (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/03/02/us/elections/important-voting-blocs-republican-candidates.html) are the most important voting blocs.

Trump - "Tells it like it is", "Prefers outsider"

Cruz - "Shared values", "Evangelical"

Rubio - "Can win", "Political experience"

Kasich - "Opposes ban on Muslims", "Political experience", other things

Trump - "Tells it like it is", "Prefers outsider"​ ..."People from all parties and walks of life" "make things happen fast"

Cruz - "Shared values", "Evangelical "...Nice...basically it..."
Rubio - "Can win", "Political experience .."should go bacK to being Hot-Tub Pool-Boy"

Kasich - "Opposes ban on Muslims", "Political experience", other thing "Boring..thinks he is special...Low votes..."nobody cares to argue with him"

Kathianne
03-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Sorry Perianne, I just went to your link. The NYT misused the term of voting blocs, not you.

There were some: income, self-defined religion, ...

The bottom line with this election, 'blocs' aren't really working. As LTG noted regarding Trump, in the main he crosses all the blocs. What will be interesting though is how many won't have cognitive dissonance before November. (Evangelicals come to mind; smaller debt; Constitutionalists; immigration/visa reform; social conservatives; ...)

Perianne
03-06-2016, 09:16 PM
I'm a bit confused:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blocDid you mean 'qualities' that these men or their supporters claim they possess?

2a : a combination of persons, groups, or nations forming a unit with a common interest or purpose.

I think what it meant by the blocs is the people who adhered to those "qualities", interests, purposes, or values, but I see what you meant.

If you take a group of people who admire or desire certain characteristics in candidates, then that group of people could be considered a bloc. Or something like that. :)

Kathianne
03-06-2016, 09:22 PM
2a : a combination of persons, groups, or nations forming a unit with a common interest or purpose.

I think what it meant by the blocs is the people who adhered to those "qualities", interests, purposes, or values, but I see what you meant.

If you take a group of people who admire or desire certain characteristics in candidates, then that group of people could be considered a bloc. Or something like that. :)

For instance one of the phrases often used in 'exit polls' is: "most like me" That's not a bloc, that's a perception which differs from one person to another.

"Pro-life": you are or aren't.

Income: 50-75K fact

"Tells it like it is" catch phrase. What does it mean? Not a factor of a bloc.

Now if they said: "Reasons you voted for X?" More accurate than bloc.

Perianne
03-06-2016, 09:24 PM
For instance one of the phrases often used in 'exit polls' is: "most like me" That's not a bloc, that's a perception which differs from one person to another.

"Pro-life": you are or aren't.

Income: 50-75K fact

"Tells it like it is" catch phrase. What does it mean? Not a factor of a bloc.

Now if they said: "Reasons you voted for X?" More accurate than bloc.

I agree.

gabosaurus
03-06-2016, 11:26 PM
That is not how I understand "voting blocs."
Here are what I perceive to be important voting blocks for the 2016 election.

WOMEN -- Roughly 52 percent of the current electorate are female. In recent polling, Clinton held a 14 point lead over Trump, but only 4 percent over Cruz. Sanders support depended on age. Women over 35 favored any GOP candidate, while younger female favored Sanders.

LATINOS -- Only 45 percent of the 23 million Latinos registered showed up at the polls in 2012. The registration numbers are expected to hit 30 million by this summer. Latino voters favor Clinton by a 9 to 1 margin over Trump.

BLACKS -- Hard to believe, but Clinton has drawn more black support in early primaries than Obama did in 2008.

If 75 percent of blacks and Latinos voted for Clinton, Trump would go down in flames.

Kathianne
03-07-2016, 07:26 AM
That is not how I understand "voting blocs."
Here are what I perceive to be important voting blocks for the 2016 election.

WOMEN -- Roughly 52 percent of the current electorate are female. In recent polling, Clinton held a 14 point lead over Trump, but only 4 percent over Cruz. Sanders support depended on age. Women over 35 favored any GOP candidate, while younger female favored Sanders.

LATINOS -- Only 45 percent of the 23 million Latinos registered showed up at the polls in 2012. The registration numbers are expected to hit 30 million by this summer. Latino voters favor Clinton by a 9 to 1 margin over Trump.

BLACKS -- Hard to believe, but Clinton has drawn more black support in early primaries than Obama did in 2008.

If 75 percent of blacks and Latinos voted for Clinton, Trump would go down in flames.

That is how Dems basically view the electorate. There are many possible combinations. Using race or genitalia isn't necessarily the best way.