PDA

View Full Version : What's it like?

Abbey Marie
03-07-2016, 07:27 PM
@gabosaurus (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=111), and any other Californians:

What's it like in Lodi? I was listening to the CCR song, and wondered how awful is it to be stuck there?
(I have read that John Fogerty was never there, so perhaps it is a lovely place).

SassyLady
03-07-2016, 08:25 PM
@gabosaurus (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=111), and any other Californians:

What's it like in Lodi? I was listening to the CCR song, and wondered how awful is it to be stuck there?
(I have read that John Fogerty was never there, so perhaps it is a lovely place).

It is not a lovely place ... and it would be awful to be stuck there. Pretty much any part of the Central Valley is not a good place to get stuck. Although, I hear they are putting in a lot of vineyards around Lodi and trying to compete with Napa Valley ... never going to happen.

gabosaurus
03-07-2016, 08:30 PM
I have never been to Lodi.
I have, however, stood on a corner in Winslow, Arizona.

hjmick
03-07-2016, 08:32 PM

I have done both...

Perianne
03-07-2016, 08:33 PM

Take it easy, gabosaurus, and don't brag too much!

hjmick
03-07-2016, 09:09 PM
I've also been to China Grove, El Paso, Galveston, Ojai, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Memphis among numerous other cities mentioned in song titles...

I have driven the Ventura Highway...

I have wasted away in Margaritaville...

Kathianne
03-07-2016, 09:16 PM
I've driven Lake Shore Drive a few times! ;)

SassyLady
03-07-2016, 09:29 PM
I've also been to China Grove, El Paso, Galveston, Ojai, Philadelphia, San Francisco, and Memphis among numerous other cities mentioned in song titles...

But, have you ever been on the Streets of Bakersfield?

Abbey Marie
03-07-2016, 09:36 PM

Especially that last one, I'm betting. :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
03-07-2016, 09:38 PM
I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari.

Not really, but I love that song. :cool:

@Jeff (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1539) , I know you've been all over. What say you?

jimnyc
03-08-2016, 08:04 AM
Lodi, NJ is much better - home of the Bada Bing!

Abbey Marie
03-08-2016, 10:41 AM

On my last trip across the NJTPK, I noticed the Hydro-Pur sign is completely gone. It hung in there for quite a while, though.

jimnyc
03-08-2016, 10:48 AM
On my last trip across the NJTPK trip, I noticed the Hydro-Pur sign is completely gone. It hung in there for quite a while, though.

Too many changes in NJ. :( You can't go visit your hometown, and mine is unrecognizable from when I grew up.

https://i.imgur.com/U91jXW0.jpg

Perianne
03-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Not to derail the thread...

Lodi. It reminds me of a friend whose little girl (who was just beginning to talk) called my daughter "Yodi", which was not even close to her name. We never understood where that came from.

I guess you had to be there.

Abbey Marie
03-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Too many changes in NJ. :( You can't go visit your hometown, and mine is unrecognizable from when I grew up.

https://i.imgur.com/U91jXW0.jpg

So true. I feel a bit envious when I see people going home to cute little hometowns that seem to never change. And I'm one of those people who doesn't like change to begin with.

Abbey Marie
03-08-2016, 10:58 AM
Not to derail the thread...

Lodi. It reminds me of a friend whose little girl (who was just beginning to talk) called my daughter "Yodi", which was not even close to her name. We never understood where that came from.

I guess you had to be there.

Little girls are adorable. Just ask Gunny!
:coffee:

Maybe be she saw the Force in your daughter.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-08-2016, 11:52 AM

One of my very favorite songs! As are all of the CCR songs.
THEY NEVER MADE A BAD ONE THAT I AM AWARE OF MY FRIEND.
I love, -- Lodi, Green River and Commotion, Traveling Band...
Likely have played them a couple thousand times over the past 4 decades.-TYR

Elessar
03-08-2016, 12:18 PM

The Central Valley has gotten real bad. It used to be (in the 80's) driving along the I-5
you could see the mountains quite often. Going North you could see Mt. Shasta from several
miles South of Red Bluff.

These days, unless there has been a storm to clear up and blow away the smog, humidity, and methane from
the cattle yards, there is nothing a gray ceiling above you.

hjmick
03-08-2016, 05:01 PM
But, have you ever been on the Streets of Bakersfield?

Yes. I used to go there regularly to buy my supply of Mr. Pibb.

And I really like Dwight Yoakam.

jimnyc
03-08-2016, 05:05 PM
Yes. I used to go there regularly to buy my supply of Mr. Pibb.

And I really like Dwight Yoakam.

Mr. Pibb? Was that like 30 years ago? :laugh: I haven't seen that stuff since I was a kid!

hjmick
03-08-2016, 05:09 PM
Mr. Pibb? Was that like 30 years ago? :laugh: I haven't seen that stuff since I was a kid!

I grew up with it Texas, nowadays they call it Pibb Xtra. I can find it every now and again. Surge has started popping up lately as well...

It has an interesting history... Dr. Pepper licenses the bottling rights, in some areas Coke has the rights, in other areas Pepsi has them. In the areas Pepsi has the bottling rights to Pepper, Coke sells Pibb.

I'm boycotting Dr. Pepper, but that's another story altogether...

Oh and bite me, I'm only 51...

When are you and your brothers coming back to Charleston?

jimnyc
03-08-2016, 05:17 PM
I grew up with it Texas, nowadays they call it Pibb Xtra. I can find it every now and again. Surge has started popping up lately as well...

It has an interesting history... Dr. Pepper licenses the bottling rights, in some areas Coke has the rights, in other areas Pepsi has them. In the areas Pepsi has the bottling rights to Pepper, Coke sells Pibb.

I'm boycotting Dr. Pepper, but that's another story altogether...

Oh and bite me, I'm only 51...

When are you and your brothers coming back to Charleston?

WTH? I worked for Cadbury/Dr. Pepper/Snapple... I wonder if it's one of the others up here in my area? I came home with a MILLION drinks while I worked there, but never once saw I Mr. Pibb that I'm aware of.

I'll always be 4 years younger than you. :laugh:

John and I are pondering a trip south maybe this year. Problems though since Dad moved. Dad is now down in Port Charlotte, Florida. Jeff is in Georgia. Only one left in South Carolina is my step-brother Dan, who is in Aiken, where I have never once been to.

Someday I'll have a trip to your area though, and it would be less driving for me, much less!! I have 2 buddies in the Goose Creek area, so it would be worth the trip to meet up with 3 folks while there.

hjmick
03-08-2016, 05:25 PM
And Snapple is why I'm boycotting Dr. Pepper. They forced the original Dublin, Texas Dr. Pepper plant to shut down. They made it with real sugar there and had a negligible market share at best. The amount they sold certainly had no impact on Snapple's bottom line.

Bastards.

Aiken is right up against the Georgia state line. You could spit on Augusta from Aiken...

Well, whenever, just don't forget to send a note. If I find out we didn't get to drink more beer and break bread, you may start getting weird phone calls in the middle of the night...

jimnyc
03-08-2016, 05:43 PM
And Snapple is why I'm boycotting Dr. Pepper. They forced the original Dublin, Texas Dr. Pepper plant to shut down. They made it with real sugar there and had a negligible market share at best. The amount they sold certainly had no impact on Snapple's bottom line.

Bastards.

Aiken is right up against the Georgia state line. You could spit on Augusta from Aiken...

Well, whenever, just don't forget to send a note. If I find out we didn't get to drink more beer and break bread, you may start getting weird phone calls in the middle of the night...

I was never lucky enough to go on a trip out there, but everyone I knew out there was from Plano, Tx. I worked for Mott's originally, who was bought out by Cadbury, who also just bought Dr. Pepper/7-up. After awhile, I looked in their monster fridges and it seemed like 90% of the drinks you see out there are owned by them!

Hell, no offense to Dan, but I ain't going to Aiken! He could come to that area if he was interested - I HATE driving anymore. We'll make it happen eventually!

Jeff
03-11-2016, 09:15 AM
I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari.

Not really, but I love that song. :cool:

@Jeff (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1539) , I know you've been all over. What say you?

I have never been through Lodi California Abbey, when delivering out there it was always in the Los Angeles area. And Jim other than the Bada Bing what a sheot hole Lodi NJ is. :laugh: