PDA

View Full Version : sleep paralysis

Said1
07-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Anyone experience this? Got any good stories?

It's happened to me a few times, which is why I NEVER nap during the day. Some liken it to astral travelling and other nonesense, but I think most people experience this at least once in their lives.

For me, it tends to be stress related, which is part of the reason why I had to take a nap!

dan
07-17-2007, 03:44 AM
I've never heard of this, what is it?

Said1
07-17-2007, 08:46 AM
I've never heard of this, what is it?

Here's a good link:

Sleep paralysis, or more properly, sleep paralysis with hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations have been singled out as a particularly likely source of beliefs concerning not only alien abductions, but all manner of beliefs in alternative realities and otherworldly creatures. Sleep paralysis is a condition in which someone, most often lying in a supine position, about to drop off to sleep, or just upon waking from sleep realizes that s/he is unable to move, or speak, or cry out. This may last a few seconds or several moments, occasionally longer. People frequently report feeling a "presence" that is often described as malevolent, threatening, or evil. An intense sense of dread and terror is very common. The presence is likely to be vaguely felt or sensed just out of sight but thought to be watching or monitoring, often with intense interest, sometimes standing by, or sitting on, the bed. On some occasions the presence may attack, strangling and exerting crushing pressure on the chest. People also report auditory, visual, proprioceptive, and tactile hallucinations, as well as floating sensations and out-of-body experiences (Hufford, 1982). These various sensory experiences have been referred to collectively as hypnagogic and hypnopompic experiences (HHEs). People frequently try, unsuccessfully, to cry out. After seconds or minutes one feels suddenly released from the paralysis, but may be left with a lingering anxiety. Extreme effort to move may even produce phantom movements in which there is proprioceptive feedback of movement that conflicts with visual disconfirmation of any movement of the limb. People may also report severe pain in the limbs when trying to move them. Several recent surveys including our own suggest that between 25-30% of the population reports that they have experienced at least a mild form of sleep paralysis at least once and about 20-30% of these have had the experience on several occasions.

Part one: http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P2.html

I honestly think out of body experiences can be attributed to sleep paralysis, but you never know. :laugh2:

Hagbard Celine
07-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Some people think that this is what "alien abductions" actually are. A lot of times sleep paralysis sufferers claim to feel a "presence" in the room with them while they are temporarily paralyzed.

Joan
07-17-2007, 03:46 PM
I suffered from Sleep Paralysis for awhile shortly after my father passed away. It was horrible! I would wake up, couldn't move my body, and would try to scream, but nothing came out! I finally stopped when I left the TV on all night. Not sure what caused it (and really don't care to know).

Said1
07-17-2007, 06:40 PM
I know what you mean, Joan. It is scary when you don't know what's going on.

I was hoping for some good stories. I guess I'll post one or two.

Like it was written in the link I posted above, you often get the feeling that someone is there, or you do see someone. One time, I dreamed (dreampt??) that my friend came over. He rang the bell, I stuck my head out the up stairs window, felt the cold air, saw him and said "come on up". He came up, we had a conversation about what I had done over the week end and he left. I woke up really confused, thinking 'was that in my sleep". It's very real and very vivid.

Another time, it actually seemed like I left my body and saw myself sleeping on the bed. At the same time, I knew someone was at the top of the stairs waiting for me and, after a few seconds a voice said 'are you coming'. I said no, it's too cold outside and went back into my body.

Freaky stuff I tells ya.

Keep in mind the above happens after the paralysis. Every time I experience paralysis (I'm sort of used to it now) I try to wake myself up, think I've woken myself up - only to wake up later.

Said1
07-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Some people think that this is what "alien abductions" actually are. A lot of times sleep paralysis sufferers claim to feel a "presence" in the room with them while they are temporarily paralyzed.

I've read that as well. I can see people believing it was the aliens since it's very vivid with all senses aware.

Gaffer
07-17-2007, 06:51 PM
I've never experienced it. I can see where it would be very disconcerting. I have seen some stuff about this on some of the tv channels and read a little about it. But never known anyone that experienced it. And don't really know too much about it. So I can't give any advice about it.

Said1
07-17-2007, 06:52 PM
I've never experienced it. I can see where it would be very disconcerting. I have seen some stuff about this on some of the tv channels and read a little about it. But never known anyone that experienced it. And don't really know too much about it. So I can't give any advice about it.

I just avoid sleeping during daylight hours as much as possible. Napping seems to bring it on for some reason.

Gaffer
07-17-2007, 06:57 PM
That's interesting cause all the things I've seen and read on it was having to do with people sleeping at night. I can see why you would be wary of napping then.

Said1
07-17-2007, 06:59 PM
That's interesting cause all the things I've seen and read on it was having to do with people sleeping at night. I can see why you would be wary of napping then.

Stress and disrupted sleeping patterns are on the list of causes.

Gaffer
07-17-2007, 07:25 PM
Have had lots of sleep disruptions in my life. But I always try not to let stress bother me. Of course over the years i have learned to not worry about things. Everything works out in some way. And usually not the way you expect or imagine.

If your stressed over things think about what will it matter a month from now, a year from now, ten years from now. The immediate problem will pass and be replaced by other problems.

Stress is caused by dwelling on something. Usually it disrupts your sleep at night. Never known a situation where it effects just taking a nap and not your nightly sleep.

I guess you need to figure out what is stressing you out.

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Here's a good link:

Part one: http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P2.html

I honestly think out of body experiences can be attributed to sleep paralysis, but you never know. :laugh2:

It's also very common in people who hav night terrors. For those of you who don't know night terrors are intense nightmeres where people actually beat themselves up in their sleep. It's like their nightmeres almost bring them to another level. The scary thing is that they don't wake up due to the pain they are inflicting which causes obvious problems.

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 07:39 PM
I just avoid sleeping during daylight hours as much as possible. Napping seems to bring it on for some reason.

You should ask your doctor about something called Klonopin. It's basically an extended release version of Valium and it is very successful with people who have night terrors and other sleep disorders.

LiberalNation
07-17-2007, 07:59 PM
I've had that happen to me a few times. I have very graphic dreams nearly every night. Mostly mild but I always remember them when I wake up and sometimes wonder if a memory actually happened or I dreamed it. I can only remember a few instances where I couldn't move when I woke up. Normally right after a nightmare that spooked me awake, heart pounding, sweating, couldn't move, breath caught, nails dug into my hands, hand over my heart which was the position I was in when I woke, felt the demon which had gone at me in the dream was in the room standing over me. Passed after a few second but defiently scary.

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 08:06 PM
The only time I have nightmeres bad enought that I sweat, my heart races an I wake up with my stomach in my mouth is when Im dreaming about Hillary or Obama being President. :laugh2:

Gaffer
07-17-2007, 08:10 PM
The only time I have nightmeres bad enought that I sweat, my heart races an I wake up with my stomach in my mouth is when Im dreaming about Hillary or Obama being President. :laugh2:

That would give any reasonable person nightmares. :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
07-18-2007, 01:16 AM
Wow, I have had this happen to me. I had no idea it was so prevalent. It was exactly as you described, Said, and it happened during an afternoon nap. It freaked me out! I definitely had a feeling of an evil presence, but couldn't move or fully wake up. The first time it happened, I was napping in the former bedroom of a girl who died in an accident in her 20's, which freaked me out even more.

Thanks for posting this. It's good to understand it a little better.

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 01:22 AM
That would give any reasonable person nightmares. :laugh2:

Maybe that could cure this sleep paralysis thing? :laugh2:

dan
07-18-2007, 04:17 AM
My friend was in the army. One of his first few nights in a private (or however private they get) barracks, he woke up, couldn't move, and saw a hulking dark figure looming over him. He asked around the next day and found out that the previous resident of that room had shot himself, so he's convinced it was a ghost, but now that I read this, I bet this is what it was.

Said1
07-18-2007, 03:56 PM
My friend was in the army. One of his first few nights in a private (or however private they get) barracks, he woke up, couldn't move, and saw a hulking dark figure looming over him. He asked around the next day and found out that the previous resident of that room had shot himself, so he's convinced it was a ghost, but now that I read this, I bet this is what it was.

Interesting coincidence. The chances of a death and sleep paralysis during the same night at the same place is definetly rare! It probably was paralysis, but still....in the same night!

dan
07-19-2007, 04:15 AM
Interesting coincidence. The chances of a death and sleep paralysis during the same night at the same place is definetly rare! It probably was paralysis, but still....in the same night!

No, no, the guy didn't kill himself in the same night. He was in that room before my friend came in, as in he shot himself, they cleaned up the room and then my friend was the next resident.

Said1
07-19-2007, 09:00 AM
No, no, the guy didn't kill himself in the same night. He was in that room before my friend came in, as in he shot himself, they cleaned up the room and then my friend was the next resident.

Ohhhh. Gotcha.