nevadamedic
07-16-2007, 11:51 PM
Story Highlights

Troy Davis was scheduled to be executed on Tuesday
Lawyers launched last-ditch appeals to Georgia's pardons board
Davis says he's innocent; trial witnesses have recanted
Courts have denied appeals under law enacted to streamline death penalty

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/07/16/davis.execution.ap/index.html

it's cases like this that really makes you think on the issue of the Death Penalty. I think if there is any doubt what so ever iin someone's that the Death Penalty should be taken off the table. I think cases that would hold up would be cases with positive DNA or other evedience that proves a case. Other then that I think the Death Penalty shouldn't be used, there is to much room for error.

waterrescuedude2000
07-17-2007, 12:14 AM
Yes there is too much room for error. I mean yes if there is overwhelming evidence like its on tape or so on and so forth then give them one appeal and execute them within a week of the end of their appeal

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 12:54 AM
I hate the fact that after they are sentanced it takes over twenty years to carry out the sentance. It should happen within a year or two. Think of all the money we would save.

waterrescuedude2000
07-17-2007, 01:24 AM
I hate the fact that after they are sentanced it takes over twenty years to carry out the sentance. It should happen within a year or two. Think of all the money we would save.

Thats why I said one appeal. Then execution within a week. Also to further save tax dollars. Quit using the lathal injection and bring back the noose. The rope is cheaper than the drugs. And whats so cruel about hanging them? What they did to their victims to deserve the death penalty is CRUEL. Period end of story.

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Thats why I said one appeal. Then execution within a week. Also to further save tax dollars. Quit using the lathal injection and bring back the noose. The rope is cheaper than the drugs. And whats so cruel about hanging them? What they did to their victims to deserve the death penalty is CRUEL. Period end of story.

There are different types of appeals, they should have them sped up give him say 2 or 3 years max. This stalling that the Attornies do for years is not right.

waterrescuedude2000
07-17-2007, 01:47 AM
Ok you have too many different courts we have city and state and state supreme courts and then federal court and the supreme court. and yada yada. But the point is too many appeals. regardless of how many kinds we need to eliminate some of the appeal process. Just noose these idiots and be done with it.

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 01:56 PM
Ok you have too many different courts we have city and state and state supreme courts and then federal court and the supreme court. and yada yada. But the point is too many appeals. regardless of how many kinds we need to eliminate some of the appeal process. Just noose these idiots and be done with it.

It is someone's life, there should be a few appeals.

diuretic
07-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Problem with the criminal justice system is that anyone is convicted beyond a reasonable doubt, not all doubt. If a jurisdiction has the death penalty it will kill an innocent person. That's my objection to the death penalty. Apart from that it doesn't fuss me much. But that's a damn big objection.

waterrescuedude2000
07-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Problem with the criminal justice system is that anyone is convicted beyond a reasonable doubt, not all doubt. If a jurisdiction has the death penalty it will kill an innocent person. That's my objection to the death penalty. Apart from that it doesn't fuss me much. But that's a damn big objection.

Actually I think you are wrong there. It might kill an innocent person

glockmail
07-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Problem with the criminal justice system is that anyone is convicted beyond a reasonable doubt, not all doubt. If a jurisdiction has the death penalty it will kill an innocent person. That's my objection to the death penalty. Apart from that it doesn't fuss me much. But that's a damn big objection. There's the conviction phase then the sentencing phase. There's no reason why the sentencing guidelines for death should require a certain level of certanty requirng physical evidence like DNA or fingerprints.

nevadamedic
07-19-2007, 12:03 AM
There's the conviction phase then the sentencing phase. There's no reason why the sentencing guidelines for death should require a certain level of certanty requirng physical evidence like DNA or fingerprints.

There is way to much room for error. They are finding through DNA that people they have executed have actually been innocent.

waterrescuedude2000
07-19-2007, 12:04 AM
But hey I think that we let these idiots live too long. If you confess to it kill em that week.

nevadamedic
07-19-2007, 12:10 AM
But hey I think that we let these idiots live too long. If you confess to it kill em that week.

Yup.

diuretic
07-19-2007, 02:04 AM
Actually I think you are wrong there. It might kill an innocent person

It might.
It will.
It has.

diuretic
07-19-2007, 02:10 AM
There's the conviction phase then the sentencing phase. There's no reason why the sentencing guidelines for death should require a certain level of certanty requirng physical evidence like DNA or fingerprints.

I do understand your point but I don't think it would work. DNA and fingerprints are "real" evidence (in legal terms). They are probably also part of a circumstantial case. Nothing wrong with a circumstantial case, that's pretty much what you're going to get in most murder cases anyway. But all the evidence is presented and examined for the jury to make a decision on guilt. Either someone did it (according to the highly procedural legal system) or they didn't. The penalty for murder is either death or it isn't. I can't see it working any other way.

diuretic
07-19-2007, 02:13 AM
I'm no bleeding heart on this. There are some terrible crimes for which the perpetrators should be executed. The problem is that we can never know to 100% certainty that the defendant did it. Even video can mislead (refer the case in Riverside County, I think it was, where the Deputy has just been acquitted of shooting an arrestee). That's where I am. The wrong person can be executed. Hey it's bad enough that the real murderer is walking around if an innocent person is arrested, tried and sentenced without killing the poor bastard.

glockmail
07-19-2007, 06:15 AM
I do understand your point but I don't think it would work. DNA and fingerprints are "real" evidence (in legal terms). They are probably also part of a circumstantial case. Nothing wrong with a circumstantial case, that's pretty much what you're going to get in most murder cases anyway. But all the evidence is presented and examined for the jury to make a decision on guilt. Either someone did it (according to the highly procedural legal system) or they didn't. The penalty for murder is either death or it isn't. I can't see it working any other way.

It works that way now, pretty much, in the US of A. The penalty for murder is more often than not long prison time, up to life, which means the guy gets out after 20 years. The death sentence is relatively rare.