PDA

View Full Version : Cruz on immigration

jimnyc
03-08-2016, 04:55 PM
I know he's talking tough, but his lying about his past on this one makes me nervous. This is a huge issue.

-----

Ted Cruz’s ‘Flat Out Lie’ on Immigration

For Latino Republicans who have known Ted Cruz over the last 15 years, the candidate stumping across the country on an anti-immigration platform is not the rising talent they once worked with on the George W. Bush campaign, in the Bush administration, and then as Texas Solicitor General.

The Ted Cruz of those years was a whip-smart and audaciously ambitious lawyer who lent his considerable intellectual heft to the policies many Latino Republicans cared most about, including immigration reform. But during a CNN debate in December, as Cruz and Sen. Marco Rubio clashed over Cruz’s past positions on offering legal status to undocumented immigrants, Cruz said definitively, “I’ve never supported legalization, I do not intend to support it.”

Weeks later, Cruz doubled down, explaining to Fox News’ Bret Baier that he tried to amend to the Senate’s “Gang of Eight” comprehensive immigration reform bill not to pass it, but to doom it to defeat. “Bret, you’ve been around Washington long enough, you know how to defeat bad legislation.”

And with that, Cruz’s bridge back to his former colleagues in Latino Republican circles began to burn.

“It’s just a flat out lie. Period,” said Robert De Posada. “There’s just no truth behind it.”

De Posada is a former Director of Hispanic Affairs for the RNC and founder of the Latino Coalition, a conservative Latino organization that worked with the Bush administration unsuccessfully to pass immigration reform. “My criticism is that Cruz can say, ‘Things have changed and I’ve changed my position.’ But don’t sit here and flat out lie that you have never been for legalization when the facts are very clear.”

The facts, according to De Posada and several Republicans who worked with Cruz in Washington and Texas, are that in Cruz’s past work for Bush and later as a board member of the Washington-based Hispanic Alliance for Prosperity Institute, Cruz helped craft policies to allow undocumented immigrants to stay in the country and pursue legal status.

None of those efforts included granting automatic amnesty to undocumented workers, but it is clear in the minds of his former colleagues that finding a way to offer immigrants a way to remain in the United States and gain legal status was central to the work Cruz did.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/01/28/ted-cruz-s-flat-out-lie-on-immigration.html

Perianne
03-08-2016, 05:07 PM
I have researched over and over about Cruz's former stances on immigration. It is unclear. What we have to do now is to decide whether or not to believe him. If he was formerly for legalization, can we allow that he has changed? If not, then we cannot seriously believe Trump's version of things. He has been all over the place on policies.

Here it is: there are two candidates now who say no to legalization of illegals. Trump and Cruz. Which do you believe? Personally, I believe both of them.

jimnyc
03-08-2016, 05:12 PM
I have researched over and over about Cruz's former stances on immigration. It is unclear. What we have to do now is to decide whether or not to believe him. If he was formerly for legalization, can we allow that he has changed? If not, then we cannot seriously believe Trump's version of things. He has been all over the place on policies.

Here it is: there are two candidates now who say no to legalization of illegals. Trump and Cruz. Which do you believe? Personally, I believe both of them.

I believe Cruz. Worthy of reporting, but I do believe he is against illegal immigration. But since this is perhaps one of the biggest issues for me in this election, I just put it out there, food for thought.

BUT, at the same time, he supposedly has a LONG list of lies accredited to his name.

Perianne
03-08-2016, 05:17 PM
I believe Cruz. Worthy of reporting, but I do believe he is against illegal immigration. But since this is perhaps one of the biggest issues for me in this election, I just put it out there, food for thought.

BUT, at the same time, he supposedly has a LONG list of lies accredited to his name.

I think maybe me and Black Diamond are the only Cruz supporters on here. I know you, Jim, have said you are okay with Cruz. I think most people would be.

I will have to research his "lies". I can probably go to National Review to find every single thing wrong with him.

jimnyc
03-08-2016, 05:27 PM
I think maybe me and @Black Diamond (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=2142) are the only Cruz supporters on here. I know you, Jim, have said you are okay with Cruz. I think most people would be.

I will have to research his "lies". I can probably go to National Review to find every single thing wrong with him.

Go to "politifact" and look at the candidates and their statements. According to them, he lies like 54% of the time he opens his mouth! :laugh: In fairness though, they ALL do.

jimnyc
03-08-2016, 05:28 PM
I think maybe me and @Black Diamond (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=2142) are the only Cruz supporters on here. I know you, Jim, have said you are okay with Cruz. I think most people would be.

I like Cruz, you do, tailfins loves Cruz... I think a few of the others would vote for Cruz should he win the nomination.

Abbey Marie
03-08-2016, 05:30 PM
I like Cruz, you do, tailfins loves Cruz... I think a few of the others would vote for Cruz should he win the nomination.

Like I've said a few times I'll vote for any Republican nominee.

Perianne
03-08-2016, 05:32 PM
Go to "politifact" and look at the candidates and their statements. According to them, he lies like 54% of the time he opens his mouth! :laugh: In fairness though, they ALL do.

Politifact is liberal. I will find out his lies somewhere else. Thanks anyway.

jimnyc
03-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Politifact is liberal. I will find out his lies somewhere else. Thanks anyway.

They're just quotes, and whether or not they're true, nothing more. His laundry list of lies is well known though, just type in "Ted Cruz lies" at google and seeya in a few hours!

Perianne
03-08-2016, 05:38 PM
They're just quotes, and whether or not they're true, nothing more. His laundry list of lies is well known though, just type in "Ted Cruz lies" at google and seeya in a few hours!

A lying minority? I would never believe it! lol

jimnyc
03-08-2016, 05:39 PM
A lying minority? I would never believe it! lol

It's lying, or ..

"we have to get over this notion that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing."
"we have to get over this notion that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing."