PDA

View Full Version : Popular Culture and Boys

Kathianne
03-10-2016, 10:22 AM
”Pet peeve of mine, has been for years. The results of this war on boys is seen in the graduation rates and college enrollments:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/03/10/defending_boys_in_a_girl_power_age__129930.html

Defending Boys in a "Girl Power" Age

A few weeks ago, I took my three young children to a stage show called “Wild Kratts Live.” If you’re not already immersed in the bizarre world of children’s television, I understand if this sounds odd, but bear with me. It gets weirder.

The hugely popular “Wild Kratts,” broadcast on PBS Kids, features two enthusiastic, bouncy middle-aged brothers named Martin and Chris Kratt. The show, which features Martin and Chris turning into cartoon characters and flying around in a giant turtle-shaped airship with their imaginary cartoon friends—I told you things would get weirder—takes “the natural appeal of animals,” at least according to PBS, “and harnesses it toward the goal of teaching science concepts to children ages 6-8.”

Among the “Wild Kratts” supporting cast, there are two highly competent and knowledgeable females (Aviva, “a cool, fashionable, twenty-something who is well on her way to becoming the most accomplished inventor this planet has ever known!” and Koki, “an accomplished computer whiz with a sharp tongue and an even sharper wit”) paired with one hapless male, Jimmy, who is “insecure, hesitant, and unsure—that is until he gets a video game console in his hands!” Jimmy also, somewhat suspiciously, bears more than a passing resemblance to Shaggy from “Scooby-Doo.”

Just to hammer the “girls rule” message home, at one point during “Wild Kratts Live,” apropos of absolutely nothing, a crazed cartoon Aviva suddenly shouted to the crowd: “GIRLS ARE GREAT AT SCIENCE!” There was a moment of puzzled silence from the audience; then, of course, a smattering of obligatory clapping. Finally, after this awkward spurt of well-intentioned propaganda, the show mercifully moved on.

Abbey Marie
03-10-2016, 10:26 AM
I can attest that you have been aware of this for many years. I notice it more with adult males on TV. They are portrayed as bumbling fools, while the women (these days often black women) have to help them in every way. All while smirking about it. This gets mentioned often by me in our home.

Bilgerat
03-10-2016, 10:30 AM
I can attest that you have been aware of this for many years. I notice it more with adult males on TV. They are portrayed as bumbling fools, while the women (these days often black women) have to help them in every way. All while smirking about it. This gets mentioned often u me in our home.

My wife has taken to halting these types of commercials via the pause button (I expect to protect herself from my rants) :laugh:

Kathianne
03-10-2016, 10:37 AM
I can attest that you have been aware of this for many years. I notice it more with adult males on TV. They are portrayed as bumbling fools, while the women (these days often black women) have to help them in every way. All while smirking about it. This gets mentioned often by me in our home.

It started with men, moved to boys. Very reminiscent of civil rights movement. Somehow we must punish those that had 'privilege' in the past by harming those that had nothing to do with it.

If 'girls' are just as good; why do 'boys' have to be 'put down?'

More later if warranted, I'm off to PT.

gabosaurus
03-10-2016, 10:39 AM
I totally disagree. The programs are important in reversing the message that boys are superior to girls that has been prevalent for centuries.
The whole "boys can do anything in life, but girls can only be housewives and mommies" thing.
If you worked with kids every day, you would know that girls still have massive amounts of self-image problems. Some are still told that they are not as important as their brothers. Or that they will never be pretty enough or smart enough.

Girl Power is important and necessary. :bow3:

Perianne
03-10-2016, 11:23 AM
I totally disagree. The programs are important in reversing the message that boys are superior to girls that has been prevalent for centuries.
The whole "boys can do anything in life, but girls can only be housewives and mommies" thing.
If you worked with kids every day, you would know that girls still have massive amounts of self-image problems. Some are still told that they are not as important as their brothers. Or that they will never be pretty enough or smart enough.

Some may have been told that. I haven't. :)

glockmail
03-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Some may have been told that. I haven't. :)

Neither have I. Of course, unlike Gabs, I come from a long line of strong females. My great-grandmother lived to be 100 and was, at that time, the #1 Red Sox fan according to the Boston Globe. My Great Aunt was a real-life Rosie the Riveter during WW2, and operated the overhead crane at the Watertown Arsenal. My Grandmother purchased her first home during the Depression and her husband didn't know about it until the day after she closed on it. My oldest sister had her hp replaced when she was a teenager, then put herself through college, had two kids and is on her third hip replacement.

Abbey Marie
03-10-2016, 03:01 PM

If we want our girls to feel equal and empowered, we need to stop supporting things like the Kardashians, Miley Cyrus, and all the other slutty personalities who not-so-subtly tell our daughters that how sexy they look is where a girl's value lies. And while we're at it, stop supporting all the makeup ads, plastic surgery, photo-shopped bodies, etc., to look perfect. All the emphasis on looks is absurd. That is why they have self-image problems, as you say.

None of this requires us to put down boys or men in the process.

Elessar
03-10-2016, 04:07 PM

That is one huge reason I have ceased to watch 'Prime-Time' T.V., and ignore commercials.

It is not reality at all, and is sexism on the part of the producers.

Elessar
03-10-2016, 04:14 PM
I totally disagree.

Girl Power is fine - but what about the demand beginning in the 70's for equality
between the genders? Aren't Hollywood or the New York studios tipping the scale
with this sort of tripe?

These kinds of broadcast typecasting of males is a broad-brush sexist put-down.

I have seen people of both genders so damn dumb they could not pour piss out
of a boot, even if the instructions were written on the heel.

On the other hand, I have met and worked with brilliant folks of both sexes.

So, the OP is accurate in her opinion.

Elessar
03-10-2016, 04:15 PM
If we want our girls to feel equal and empowered, we need to stop supporting things like the Kardashians, Miley Cyrus, and all the other slutty personalities who not-so-subtly tell our daughters how sexy they look is where a girl's value lies. And while we're at it, stop supporting all the makeup ads, plastic surgery, photo-shopped bodies, etc., to look perfect. All the emphasis on looks is absurd. That is why they have self-image problems, as you say.

None of this requires us to put down boys or men in the process.

That is Spot-On, Abbey!