View Full Version : Where am I this time?

tailfins
03-10-2016, 02:15 PM
This is a restaurant's proprietary wi-fi, not a cable company hot spot.

jimnyc
03-14-2016, 06:45 AM
This is a restaurant's proprietary wi-fi, not a cable company hot spot.

They use "sbcglobal" and likely the location aka first router aka first hop is "rcsntx"

Voted4Reagan
03-14-2016, 06:57 AM
The connection between SBCglobal, AT&T (as in, att.net) and Yahoo Mail seems to be intricate at first. But it is actually quite simple. The initials SBC in SBCglobal stand for Southwestern Bell Company.

​You're in Texas

jimnyc
03-14-2016, 07:00 AM
The connection between SBCglobal, AT&T (as in, att.net) and Yahoo Mail seems to be intricate at first. But it is actually quite simple. The initials SBC in SBCglobal stand for Southwestern Bell Company.

​You're in Texas

He stated as much previously that he is in Texas. I believe he wants to see/test us to see if we can tell where he is at when he visits various WIFI locations.

So here's some small detective work for you, as I can't seem to figure it out - what the hell is RCSN TX? I'm sure the TX part is Texas, but I can't figure out what part based on the portion prior!

Voted4Reagan
03-14-2016, 07:14 AM
He stated as much previously that he is in Texas. I believe he wants to see/test us to see if we can tell where he is at when he visits various WIFI locations.

So here's some small detective work for you, as I can't seem to figure it out - what the hell is RCSN TX? I'm sure the TX part is Texas, but I can't figure out what part based on the portion prior!

I will figure it out.....

Voted4Reagan
03-14-2016, 07:16 AM
2 mins.... Sent you a message Jimmy

tailfins
03-14-2016, 08:43 AM
They use "sbcglobal" and likely the location aka first router aka first hop is "rcsntx"

That would be Richardson, but the restaurant is not in Richardson. It is in Allen.

jimnyc
03-14-2016, 08:49 AM
That would be Richardson, but the restaurant is not in Richardson. It is in Allen.

Shit, what a dumbass way of shortening a name. Likely the first place it goes to outside the place is in Richardson. My home connection tells people I am 2 towns away.

Elessar
03-14-2016, 11:55 AM
I used to use 3 search sites to narrow down and confirm an ISP.

It seemed that if at least 2 of the 3 were close or identical, you were in the
ballpark.

Of course, the FCC and 'certain' L.E. agencies can usually nail it accurately.