PDA

View Full Version : Moneyball

indago
03-10-2016, 08:45 PM
MONEYBALL (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1210166/)

Has anyone seen this movie? I found it fascinating. It's about baseball, but not so much about the game itself as it is about the behind-the-scenes trying to assemble a winning team. It's about the Oakland A's, and Billy Beane trying to get more money in the budget from the owners to tempt some of the popular players to play on his team. He is unsuccessful. There were several persons in the room while he was making his pitch for more money, and one of them would whisper to another as he was making his pitch. Finally, he left the room, and sought out this person, and asked him what was his position with the group. He said he was an economist. He also told Billy that you don't win games by paying BigBux to high profile players. You win games by getting men on base and then bringing them in.

I'm not much of a sports fan, but I found this movie fascinating as they went about assembling statistics on players, and assembling a team that was laughed at by some of the pro's, but came out ahead.

Why do you want that guy?

He get's on base!