PDA

View Full Version : The board, the election, life

Abbey Marie
03-12-2016, 12:46 PM
I am appalled at the violence I'm seeing on the news. So I log in, and lo and behold, people are threatening violence to each other.

Yeah, I know, I wouldn't understand; I'm a woman, I'm not nasty, etc., but has everyone lost their mind?

Can we take it down a notch? And by all, I mean the board, the country, and I guess the world, too. Heck, maybe our intergalactic friends need to calm down too; turn off the death rays.

tailfins
03-12-2016, 01:03 PM
I am appalled at the violence I'm seeing on the news. So I log in, and lo and behold, people are threatening violence to each other.

Yeah, I know, I wouldn't understand; I'm a woman, I'm not nasty, etc., but has everyone lost their mind?

Can we take it down a notch? And by all, I mean the board, the country, and I guess the world, too. Heck, maybe our intergalactic friends need to calm down too; turn off the death rays.

I still think Adam Lanza could have possibly been stopped by someone teaching him how to sue people and otherwise use the law to satisfy grievances. Violence is the result in forcing someone or a group of people into suppressing their grievances.

Abbey Marie
03-12-2016, 02:21 PM
I still think Adam Lanza could have possibly been stopped by someone teaching him how to sue people and otherwise use the law to satisfy grievances. Violence is the result in forcing someone or a group of people into suppressing their grievances.

That's one reason for violence. There are many others, of course. Sometimes I think it is just a mob mentality, for example.

Black Diamond
03-12-2016, 02:37 PM
How did I miss the threats?

Abbey Marie
03-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Interesting quote:

'At the root of all war is fear: not so much the fear men have of one another as the fear they have of everything. It is not merely that they do not trust one another; they do not even trust themselves. If they are not sure when someone else may turn around and kill them, they are still less sure when they may turn around and kill themselves. They cannot trust anything, because they have ceased to believe in God." -Thomas Merton, "New Seeds of Contemplation."

gabosaurus
03-12-2016, 03:01 PM

Nice sentiment, but I am afraid that this genie has already been let out of the bottle. Violence is some people's answer to anything and everything.
I can't do anything about this country or the world around us. My solution to turning down this board is to hit the red 'X' or the 'back' button. At that point, everyone here is gone.
If you want to allow politics and politicians to consume your life, go ahead. I left that life behind a few years ago when I got married and adopted my daughter. I tend to tune most things out and will continue to do so until November.

DP is DP. Always has been, always will be. I yell at you and you yell back. I tell you that you are wrong and full of crap and you come back with the same. Doesn't mean I hate you. Though you are perfectly free to hate me all you want. I can deal with it. :cool:

aboutime
03-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Abbey. Everyone could use a little of THIS....."

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
Read more at: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/a/abrahamlin109276.html

hjmick
03-12-2016, 06:02 PM

Posting just isn't as fun as it used to be...

Black Diamond
03-12-2016, 06:03 PM

In what way?

aboutime
03-12-2016, 07:27 PM

Of course it's not as much fun when you aren't constantly hearing everyone agree with you.:coffee::poke:

WiccanLiberal
03-12-2016, 07:36 PM
Either physical or verbal, violence seems to feed on itself. I agree with Abbey that a little thought and less verbal violence would be better. The therapy I have been taking lately has influenced me to look at anger differently. We don't always express anger at the root cause of it. Many times we deflect it to another target. This may be easier but is not generally productive or wise. Maybe some of the anger we see here isn't really about here but merely about blowing off steam in an environment where we can't physically harm anyone.

hjmick
03-12-2016, 08:46 PM
Of course it's not as much fun when you aren't constantly hearing everyone agree with you.:coffee::poke:

I don't give a flying rhinoceros shit if anyone agrees with me or not. It's the angry vitriol spewed by those who don't that agree with others that sucks the fun out of what used to be decent exchanges of ideas. It's the need of others to silence an opposing point of view and driving that voice from the board that dulls the conversation. It's the down in the gutter name calling when one is unable to stifle an opposing opinion that makes people just shake their heads and not engage, or simply stay away.

I'm not saying these things didn't exist in the past, but they are all more prevalent now than ever before...

tailfins
03-12-2016, 09:04 PM
Nice sentiment, but I am afraid that this genie has already been let out of the bottle. Violence is some people's answer to anything and everything.
I can't do anything about this country or the world around us. My solution to turning down this board is to hit the red 'X' or the 'back' button. At that point, everyone here is gone.
If you want to allow politics and politicians to consume your life, go ahead. I left that life behind a few years ago when I got married and adopted my daughter. I tend to tune most things out and will continue to do so until November.

DP is DP. Always has been, always will be. I yell at you and you yell back. I tell you that you are wrong and full of crap and you come back with the same. Doesn't mean I hate you. Though you are perfectly free to hate me all you want. I can deal with it. :cool:

To me DP is like a tank of piranhas. It's interesting to see what they will bite and what they won't. It still fascinates me how my father-in-law jumps into piranha infested waters and other than checking for open cuts before jumping in doesn't give it a second thought. It's a hostile culture in DP; I know that when I visit the site. I expect it.

Black Diamond
03-12-2016, 09:10 PM
I don't give a flying rhinoceros shit if anyone agrees with me or not. It's the angry vitriol spewed by those who don't that agree with others that sucks the fun out of what used to be decent exchanges of ideas. It's the need of others to silence an opposing point of view and driving that voice from the board that dulls the conversation. It's the down in the gutter name calling when one is unable to stifle an opposing opinion that makes people just shake their heads and not engage, or simply stay away.

I'm not saying these things didn't exist in the past, but they are all more prevalent now than ever before...
:lol: if you can make me laugh like that, I will always welcome you back

aboutime
03-12-2016, 09:25 PM
Please explain Rhino Shit, and how that figures into your intellectual comparisons of mentality. In your own Personal case???:dance:

LongTermGuy
03-12-2016, 09:55 PM

Yes.... everybody has lost their minds...understand..This POTUS election season... things are rough and will get rougher...everybody has opinions / views....Everybody has sides...Problem is some try to Impose..were at a point where this is the>> last Stand for the... Leftist (Communists) who support and NEED...entitled "Black Lies Matter" ...fence jumping Illegal parasites..and the koran reading muslim Invasion...to bring down America..
.....*Last stand for Liberalism (Move on .org) and the likes..Bernie / Hillary supporters...and establishment Rhinos....etc...This is why they are sending their "Disrupters" in to the Trump rallies ...Interesting we dont see Americans trying to "Protest" Disturb...the Bernie / Hillary rallies...hmmmmm...

*Point is...we live in the reality of a messed up cruel..ruthless world fighting for its survival... and its not La La Land...

*As far as this board is concerned ...do what you need to do and resolve the problem you have the ability...Hoping wishing and complaining..will never produce good results IMO..Fix it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE0pwJ5PMDg

LongTermGuy
03-12-2016, 10:02 PM
Please explain Rhino Shit, and how that figures into your intellectual comparisons of mentality. In your own Personal case???:dance:

:clap::clap::clap::coffee::dance:

Just a term used by many...depending which side they are on and how they want to use the "Term" IMO

`Republican In Name Only`

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_In_Name_Only

Black Diamond
03-12-2016, 10:08 PM
I am praying for Donald Trump's safety.

LongTermGuy
03-12-2016, 10:30 PM
I am praying for Donald Trump's safety.

Understand....Crazies everywhere...it could be any of the candidates...I am with you on this...Good thing is...we know who the crazies are and where they came from and why (their actions...and they have signs)

Abbey Marie
03-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Yes.... everybody has lost their minds...understand..This POTUS election season... things are rough and will get rougher...everybody has opinions / views....Everybody has sides...Problem is some try to Impose..were at a point where this is the>> last Stand for the... Leftist (Communists) who support and NEED...entitled "Black Lies Matter" ...fence jumping Illegal parasites..and the koran reading muslim Invasion...to bring down America..
.....*Last stand for Liberalism (Move on .org) and the likes..Bernie / Hillary supporters...and establishment Rhinos....etc...This is why they are sending their "Disrupters" in to the Trump rallies ...Interesting we dont see Americans trying to "Protest" Disturb...the Bernie / Hillary rallies...hmmmmm...

*Point is...we live in the reality of a messed up cruel..ruthless world fighting for its survival... and its not La La Land...

*As far as this board is concerned ...do what you need to do and resolve the problem you have the ability...Hoping wishing and complaining..will never produce good results IMO..Fix it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE0pwJ5PMDg

We can't "fix it" without being overbearing. We are all adults, and everyone's behavior is their own responsibility.

Perianne
03-12-2016, 11:46 PM
I am most disappointed at the snark and condescension. The worst thing is that those who practice it would deny, deny, and more deny they are guilty. Sometimes things that are said can't be taken back. Maybe it could be taken back if an apology was offered, but those who typically practice snark and condescension view themselves as superior and as such are above apologies.

I don't know what to say to Jim. :(

LongTermGuy
03-12-2016, 11:51 PM
We can't "fix it" without being overbearing. We are all adults, and everyone's behavior is their responsibility.

Originally Posted by Abbey http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=804406#post804406)

^^^^^ Good...Then we can stop being bewildered...and stop wishing ! ^^^^^

*I read you well Abbey and `understand`..Thank you dear...

LongTermGuy
03-12-2016, 11:56 PM
:laugh:
http://cloudfront-media.reason.com/mc/jwalker/2015_08/trumpwrestling.gif?h=270&w=480

http://wp.newrepublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/trumppunch.gif

gabosaurus
03-13-2016, 12:36 AM

It's more prevalent now because there are no more checks and balances like in the past. Debate has turned into free for all flaming. Which I don't mind, since I can do the flame throwing thing on par with anyone.
Some people feel the need to be right all the time. Which is why I never argue. Why mud wrestle with a pig when you know the pig is enjoying it a lot more than you do?
I don't feel the need to go into extended ranting replies to statements. Nor do I feel that what I have to say is so important, but post them in bold face. I just say what I want to say and move on.

gabosaurus
03-13-2016, 12:45 AM
I am most disappointed at the snark and condescension. The worst thing is that those who practice it would deny, deny, and more deny they are guilty. Sometimes things that are said can't be taken back. Maybe it could be taken back if an apology was offered, but those who typically practice snark and condescension view themselves as superior and as such are above apologies.

Excuuuuuusssse me please..
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SNARK AND CONDESCENSION!!
I have never denied that I use sarcasm, snark, condescension and, worst of all, evil biting wit. I find it to be more appropriate that just flat out attacking or insulting someone.
Sorry, but I was born into a life of snark. Thus, it has never bothered me. I am not delicate. And I am not afraid to run you threw.

If you ever feel hurt or insulted by something you read on this board, just remember that it is only the internet. The internet is not real life.

I may act superior, but I am far from it. My husband and daughter will attest to this. :cool:

Perianne
03-13-2016, 12:47 AM
Excuuuuuusssse me please..
THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH SNARK AND CONDESCENSION!!
I have never denied that I use sarcasm, snark, condescension and, worst of all, evil biting wit. I find it to be more appropriate that just flat out attacking or insulting someone.
Sorry, but I was born into a life of snark. Thus, it has never bothered me. I am not delicate. And I am not afraid to run you threw.

If you ever feel hurt or insulted by something you read on this board, just remember that it is only the internet. The internet is not real life.

I may act superior, but I am far from it. My husband and daughter will attest to this. :cool:

I wasn't talking about you. I know you, I accept your style...even enjoy it :)

gabosaurus
03-13-2016, 12:53 AM
I wasn't talking about you. I know you, I accept your style...even enjoy it :)

Thanks my dear. :carryon:

tailfins
03-13-2016, 09:19 AM

I don't know what to say to Jim. :(

I would accept "it's a new day, let's try a different kind of conversation". Of course, I know better than to hope for that, because it's all negative around here. It's a sad, ugly place. It's good to be prepared for people like that, just don't spend too much time with it.

NightTrain
03-13-2016, 10:41 AM
I would accept "it's a new day, let's try a different kind of conversation". Of course, I know better than to hope for that, because it's all negative around here. It's a sad, ugly place. It's good to be prepared for people like that, just don't spend too much time with it.

Don't forget to send a postcard! On second thought, don't... better to make this a clean break.

:bye1:

gabosaurus
03-13-2016, 10:56 AM
Don't forget to send a postcard! On second thought, don't... better to make this a clean break.

Speaking of such, shouldn't you be out on the Idiotroad someplace chasing down mushers with your snowmobile? :crossbones:

NightTrain
03-13-2016, 11:07 AM
Speaking of such, shouldn't you be out on the Idiotroad someplace chasing down mushers with your snowmobile? :crossbones:

It's spelled 'Iditarod'.

Already did. I usually give the mushers a beer as they go by our bonfire beside the trail.

And they're called snowmachines. The only people that call them snowmobiles are flatlanders.

tailfins
03-13-2016, 11:58 AM

:bye1:

If you give hate; don't be surprised when you get hate back. This is the venue for nasty. When I'm in a nasty mood, I come here. When I want nice, I already found a place for that too. It's no big deal.

I don't consider you an actual person, just a video game personality. My kids used the play this game called ToonTown. ToonTown and DP have something in common: Both have cogs. I'm not sure whether you more resemble Back Stabber or Two-Face. This is a formal request to Jim to add a pie throwing emoticon. I want to see if it will make the cogs melt here too.

NightTrain
03-13-2016, 12:44 PM
If you give hate; don't be surprised when you get hate back. This is the venue for nasty. When I'm in a nasty mood, I come here. When I want nice, I already found a place for that too. It's no big deal.

I don't consider you an actual person, just a video game personality. My kids used the play this game called ToonTown. ToonTown and DP have something in common: Both have cogs. I'm not sure whether you more resemble Back Stabber or Two-Face. This is a formal request to Jim to add a pie throwing emoticon. I want to see if it will make the cogs melt here too.

Enjoy it while you can. Wherever else you go, it's just a matter of time before they all know what a POS you are, just like all of us did in short order.

Backstabber and Two Faced? You shouldn't use words you don't know the definitions of. I've been calling you a POS out in the open for quite a while now - that began the moment I made the decision.

Abbey Marie
03-13-2016, 12:53 PM
Truly, no good deed goes unpunished. :laugh2:

I think I was pretty clear that I was talking specifically about violence.

Not insults, snark, bolded text, condescension, or "fixing" the board.

I don't care one whit if a thread takes a turn, as that is how conversation flows IRL. And to quote a fave movie of mine, go ahead and be as poopy as you want to each other. Just don't morph the thread, and simultaneously imply or claim that your personal issue was the point of my thread. It is not.

But, just for the record, there is this way, too:

http://36.media.tumblr.com/9af43b63e526855dfb421f3a5ea89c56/tumblr_nwzsbtYKuI1rmzpj5o1_500.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1c/24/3f/1c243fba425ce319766c92e49db2eda1.jpg

tailfins
03-13-2016, 12:56 PM
Truly, no good deed goes unpunished. :laugh2:

I think I was pretty clear that I was talking specifically about violence.

Not insults, snark, bolded text, condescension, or "fixing" the board.

I don't care one whit if a thread takes a turn, as that is how conversation flows IRL. And to quote a fave movie of mine, go ahead and be as poopy as you want to each other. Just don't morph the thread, and simultaneously imply or claim that your personal issue was the point of my thread. It is not.

But, just for the record, there is this way, too:

http://36.media.tumblr.com/9af43b63e526855dfb421f3a5ea89c56/tumblr_nwzsbtYKuI1rmzpj5o1_500.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/1c/24/3f/1c243fba425ce319766c92e49db2eda1.jpg

I appreciate your sentiment. With the bottom cartoon in particular, I know if I do that it will be a one-way street. Most members here don't do "nice".

tailfins
03-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Enjoy it while you can. Wherever else you go, it's just a matter of time before they all know what a POS you are, just like all of us did in short order.

Backstabber and Two Faced? You shouldn't use words you don't know the definitions of. I've been calling you a POS out in the open for quite a while now - that began the moment I made the decision.

You worship yourself as God. You render a judgement from on high and it's FINAL. Please do the world a favor and don't refer to yourself as a Christian. You're anything but.

I'm waiting for you to say that Jesus loves everybody except me. The "gospel" according to "NightTrain".

Gunny
03-13-2016, 01:52 PM

Or the reaction of those who are done taking shit off wimps. Street goes BOTH ways.

gabosaurus
03-13-2016, 05:00 PM
I rarely side with NightTrain, but I have never known him to be two-faced or a backstabber. In fact, one of NT's main attributes is that he is very up front with his opinions. I dislike most of NT's opinions, but at least I know where he stands.

'Fins, you make no friends when you openly go after people. Even if you dislike and/or disagree with them, you make your point and then allow them to have theirs.
And if things overheat too much, back off and remember ... IT'S ONLY THE INTERNET.

BoogyMan
03-13-2016, 05:04 PM
It is pretty indicative of just how close we are to anarchy and how little it will take to trigger it. It is a sad and sorry state of affairs.

tailfins
03-13-2016, 05:24 PM
I rarely side with NightTrain, but I have never known him to be two-faced or a backstabber. In fact, one of NT's main attributes is that he is very up front with his opinions. I dislike most of NT's opinions, but at least I know where he stands.

'Fins, you make no friends when you openly go after people. Even if you dislike and/or disagree with them, you make your point and then allow them to have theirs.
And if things overheat too much, back off and remember ... IT'S ONLY THE INTERNET.

I know, the purpose for me is to get a sense of who not to even so much as greet in real life. I'm happy with the life I have built, and I built it with very small exceptions of not needing anyone's co-operation. My presence here gives me a good feel of who I should have nothing to do with. 90% of the people in my life are foreign born. I have built rapport with several good people. From here at DP, I get a good sense for when my mindset with someone should be that of a bill collector. There's a type of person that being nice to get's you nothing but taken advantage of. Coming here reminds me not to forget to be on guard for such people.

I will let you decide which ToonTown Cog most resembles NT. I would still enjoy a pie throwing emoticon.

aboutime
03-13-2016, 06:21 PM

NightTrain. If I may? I'll 2ND your POS,:clap: and add PROVEN TURD to the mix! Oxymorons go together.

jimnyc
03-14-2016, 05:57 AM
Hmmmmmm.... Does anyone REALLY want my opinion on all of this? I doubt it, so I'll be gentler instead.

Bottom line is this - we should treat others as we expect to be treated in return. And at the very least, one should expect to be spoken to harshly if they do so to another. That's what it all boils down to, is folks disagreeing, and then folks no longer speaking to one another in a respectful tone.

And NO, Trump, Hillary, Bernie or Cruz did NOT start this. We have had shitheads saying shitty and stupid things in politics forever and have not seen this issue before. The left/right squabbling is normal, and I think most would agree with that. But now we're seeing that turn from a right/left thing into righties fighting with one another. And while not discussed HERE, the Hillary and Bernie supporters ain't getting along either.

This election is SO important - because Obama fucked things up so badly in the past 7-8 years. Everyone wants to ENSURE their man/woman gets into office and makes the changes THEY want to see. They're afraid that if they other person gets into office, that they won't see those changes. Not a bad thing if you think about it. America is HUGELY involved in this election, much more so than in years past.

What's going to matter is how everyone handles things once the nominations are set and the general season kicks in. If either side continues the fighting, the other side gets a lift from it. It's going to come down to who comes together the most and who backs their candidate and who comes out and votes. If that implodes because either side won't back their candidate, whether that's Trump, Cruz, Bernie or Hillary, the same thing applies, and the results will be the same.

As for the board, it is what it is. There are always fights when it comes to general elections, it just stands out more this year. I have zero doubt that things will be fine. I've known every single person here pretty much for years, I know everyone as members and as friends. While things look right now like everyone is waving fists at one another - I think when push comes to shove - things will slowly revert back - as that's what friends do - we fight and disagree, then eventually we pop open a beer together or a bottle of wine.

Until then, all I know is that I want Trump in office. If he can't take the nod - all I know is that I want Cruz in office!!

And all I know is that no effing way do I want to see a socialist in the white house, and I don't even want to see Hillary in Washington at all.

hjmick
03-14-2016, 05:22 PM
Hmmmmmm.... Does anyone REALLY want my opinion on all of this? I doubt it, so I'll be gentler instead.

Bottom line is this - we should treat others as we expect to be treated in return. And at the very least, one should expect to be spoken to harshly if they do so to another. That's what it all boils down to, is folks disagreeing, and then folks no longer speaking to one another in a respectful tone.

And NO, Trump, Hillary, Bernie or Cruz did NOT start this. We have had shitheads saying shitty and stupid things in politics forever and have not seen this issue before. The left/right squabbling is normal, and I think most would agree with that. But now we're seeing that turn from a right/left thing into righties fighting with one another. And while not discussed HERE, the Hillary and Bernie supporters ain't getting along either.

This election is SO important - because Obama fucked things up so badly in the past 7-8 years. Everyone wants to ENSURE their man/woman gets into office and makes the changes THEY want to see. They're afraid that if they other person gets into office, that they won't see those changes. Not a bad thing if you think about it. America is HUGELY involved in this election, much more so than in years past.

What's going to matter is how everyone handles things once the nominations are set and the general season kicks in. If either side continues the fighting, the other side gets a lift from it. It's going to come down to who comes together the most and who backs their candidate and who comes out and votes. If that implodes because either side won't back their candidate, whether that's Trump, Cruz, Bernie or Hillary, the same thing applies, and the results will be the same.

As for the board, it is what it is. There are always fights when it comes to general elections, it just stands out more this year. I have zero doubt that things will be fine. I've known every single person here pretty much for years, I know everyone as members and as friends. While things look right now like everyone is waving fists at one another - I think when push comes to shove - things will slowly revert back - as that's what friends do - we fight and disagree, then eventually we pop open a beer together or a bottle of wine.

Until then, all I know is that I want Trump in office. If he can't take the nod - all I know is that I want Cruz in office!!

And all I know is that no effing way do I want to see a socialist in the white house, and I don't even want to see Hillary in Washington at all.

People should try posting like their mom is going to read it...