PDA

View Full Version : University benefactor and board chairman uses N-word

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 12:40 AM
Story Highlights

N-word "kind of slipped out," university board chairman says
Ralph Papitto apologizes but adds, "What can I do? Kill myself?"
Witness: Papitto irate over discussions to diversify board

Papitto, who has given the school at least $7 million and whose name is on the only law school in Rhode Island, said he had never used the term before.

"The first time I heard it was on television or rap music or something," he told WPRO

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/16/racial.slur.ap/index.html

:lol: Whoops! Hard to believe that this guy is 80 and has never used that term and hard to believe that he has only learned of that word recently because of rap music. :lol::lol::lol::lol:He actually expects us to believe that? :lol:

5stringJeff
07-17-2007, 08:53 PM
I thought it was dead!!!

LiberalNation
07-17-2007, 08:55 PM
I think people are over-reacting a wee bit here. The old man said a word, he didn't kill anybody. Demanding his name be taken off a school he founded/donated a lot of money to is wrong.

Yurt
07-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Apologies only work if you are black like jesse jackson or "black" like bill clinton....

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Apologies only work if you are black like jesse jackson or "black" like bill clinton....

You left out Al Sharpton :laugh2:

LiberalNation
07-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Those guys all get a lot of flack ya know. Sharpton was even shot and their credibility besides clinton is nill.

manu1959
07-18-2007, 12:12 AM
Those guys all get a lot of flack ya know. Sharpton was even shot and their credibility besides clinton is nill.

clinton has credibilty?!....among who? adulterers?

LiberalNation
07-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Among dems and a lot of the world. He's a smooth talker and can give a speech. That'll always make you friends.

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 12:34 AM
Among dems and a lot of the world. He's a smooth talker and can give a speech. That'll always make you friends.

That will only get you so far.............

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 12:36 AM
I think people are over-reacting a wee bit here. The old man said a word, he didn't kill anybody. Demanding his name be taken off a school he founded/donated a lot of money to is wrong.

I agree with that, it was a slip of the tongue. I don't see why they overlook all the good someone has done for one slip of the tongue. It's not like he went up there and gave a racist or a hate speech.

Trinity
07-18-2007, 09:59 AM
I agree with that, it was a slip of the tongue. I don't see why they overlook all the good someone has done for one slip of the tongue. It's not like he went up there and gave a racist or a hate speech.

Thats the big problem with this country today............ you are expected to be perfect........... one little mistake and god help you........what most people fail to realize is we are all human, therefore not perfect, therefore everyone will make mistakes in their lifetime!

Trigg
07-18-2007, 10:48 AM

I agree, give him a break. He more than likely grew up hearing the word.

My mother-in-law still uses the word colored.

theHawk
07-18-2007, 10:54 AM
He's a smooth talker and can give a speech. That'll always make you friends.

So was Hitler.

manu1959
07-18-2007, 03:46 PM

like i said.......

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Thats the big problem with this country today............ you are expected to be perfect........... one little mistake and god help you........what most people fail to realize is we are all human, therefore not perfect, therefore everyone will make mistakes in their lifetime!

Yup, and then you get judged by bad habits like Smoking or drinking in eccess. etc.

Yurt
07-18-2007, 08:37 PM
I agree, give him a break. He more than likely grew up hearing the word.

My mother-in-law still uses the word colored.

You mean like NAAColoredP

nevadamedic
07-19-2007, 12:14 AM

:laugh2:

Trigg
07-19-2007, 07:15 PM

yep those. It's just the environment and the time people grow up in.

Although I do tend to cringe when she says "be careful when you drive through colored town".

Hugh Lincoln
07-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Although I do tend to cringe when she says "be careful when you drive through colored town".

When I was growing up, my grandparents would say things like that. I was trained to call them "racist." (Funny how we look askance at the Soviets and Chinese Communists for training children to denounce their parents as "capitalists" - but with race, we do the same thing...) Then I spent some time in black neighborhoods. I learned that they were right.

I think the real reason blacks are so sensitive about the word "nigger" is that it accurately describes them.

nevadamedic
07-21-2007, 07:14 PM
When I was growing up, my grandparents would say things like that. I was trained to call them "racist." (Funny how we look askance at the Soviets and Chinese Communists for training children to denounce their parents as "capitalists" - but with race, we do the same thing...) Then I spent some time in black neighborhoods. I learned that they were right.

I think the real reason blacks are so sensitive about the word "nigger" is that it accurately describes them.

That's uncalled for...............

Hugh Lincoln
07-21-2007, 08:38 PM
That's uncalled for...............

Au contraire.

THEY called for it. I just answered.

nevadamedic
07-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Au contraire.

THEY called for it. I just answered.

Not all of them, just the trashy gang members.