PDA

View Full Version : Are there any rules against using DP as a social simulator?

tailfins
03-12-2016, 03:02 PM
For the most part, right now the only simulation available is "dealing with hostile people". Which is of course a skill worth having. I'm available for other kinds, but there doesn't seem to be much interest. Oh well, better than nothing I guess. One important aspect of dealing with hostile people is not to spend too much time around them. A prolonged back-and-forth is surely a bad idea because it sours one's mood.

fj1200
03-14-2016, 08:24 AM
It is one by default to the extent that people act the same on DP as in real life.

Abbey Marie
03-14-2016, 10:06 AM
It is one by default to the extent that people act the same on DP as in real life.

That's an interesting perspective. I've heard many people say that folks behave here in ways they never would IRL.

fj1200
03-14-2016, 10:30 AM
That's an interesting perspective. I've heard many people say that folks behave here in ways they never would IRL.

It could be argued both ways but a message board is also an equalizer. I think people are who they are but a loudmouth rant is only one post long and can be easily ignored or defeated with one line. A shrinking flower isn't going to shout down a bully IRL but can make a better argument when their voice is just as "loud" online.

tailfins
03-14-2016, 11:00 AM

It gives me a window into a world that isn't part of my life. I generally don't interact with people who have English as their first language. I gave that up in 1989. It all started when I began my career in Boston and all the co-workers at the table were making disparaging remarks. I said "never mind, I will eat at the Burger King across the street" At the Burger King this girl that was emptying the trash kept smiling at me. Someone in the group there invited me over for a Brazilian barbecue. I spend the next year studying Portuguese day and night and became fluent. At that job, I started only producing my deliverables and made it clear I was there to work, not socialize.

Over the years, I have noticed fewer and fewer American nationals in the workplace. Except for a guy that works remotely from Florida, I'm the only US born person on my team. I have tuned my ears to become accustomed Hindi and Asian accents. I eagerly train H1B recipients and offshore resources. I have a strict attention to detail, independence and initiative that I have some success instilling into offshore and H1B workers. They express gratitude and it works out well. The company also appreciates it.

Many of there interactions here hearken back to 1989. But who knows, if it gets better I can stop just "window shopping" and interact with US-born society.

The principal exception to the above is attending a lil' ol' country Baptist church on a hill. They are the friendliest people you'd ever want to meet.

Perianne
03-14-2016, 11:00 AM

After being corrected on my behavior a few times, I am pretty much in real life what you see on here: easily intimidated by men, easily angered and intolerant of belligerent behavior by women.

red state
03-14-2016, 11:12 AM
After being corrected on my behavior a few times, I am pretty much in real life what you see on here: easily intimidated by men, easily angered and intolerant of belligerent behavior by women.

Same here, Perianne...what you see (or READ) is what your get. I tolerate WAY too much but I do have limits to that toleration where I WILL speak up. Being tolerant has killed this Nation and I'm not about to fall into place just because it is politically "correct" to do so. Show respect where deserved and show NO respect when confronting "THEM".

Gunny
03-14-2016, 11:13 AM

So do you think people act on DP the way they act in real life? I see a whole bunch of shit-talking by people who fear no consequences myself. FYI, I'm the same ass in real life I am here. Don't think it's for any great reason. I'm just too lazy to be anything else.

But I've learned over the years there are a LOT of stupid little games going on. If you know how to read people it ain't hard figuring out who the liars are.

Elessar
03-14-2016, 12:00 PM

What we have to remember is that we are dealing with personalities, not machines.

I can picture many members being exactly the same IRL; yet it all depends on the
stimulus involved in a topic.

The ones that hide behind a keyboard playing Internet Commando / Tough Guy or Gal,
usually trip themselves up fairly quickly.

fj1200
03-14-2016, 12:33 PM
So do you think people act on DP the way they act in real life? I see a whole bunch of shit-talking by people who fear no consequences myself. FYI, I'm the same ass in real life I am here. Don't think it's for any great reason. I'm just too lazy to be anything else.

But I've learned over the years there are a LOT of stupid little games going on. If you know how to read people it ain't hard figuring out who the liars are.

Well I did expand a bit in post #4 but you have a point; IRL I'm not going to try and shout down a loudmouth but here I'll take the time to point out where I think that they're wrong once they've completed their rant. But Elessar is also right; those who try to be something else than what they are or what they know will quickly be identified IMO.

jimnyc
03-14-2016, 12:42 PM
I am almost identical in real life, which is likely why I have no friends. :laugh:

I am loud when need be, but usually respectful. I can be a real angry jerk and get pretty shitty, but almost always with folks who get that way with me first. I'm almost always sarcastic or trying to be funny, even if I fail the majority of the time!

IRL, I'm extremely loyal to friends and family, even if I still like to be rude and sarcastic to them. I wear my heart on my sleeve, very emotional, and it shows here often, whether bad or good.

I'm usually broke in real life, just as I am here. :)

But I still say we should all have a board get together, as then I won't be a moderator and have no powers at all, and then maybe a bunch of you can gang up and beat me up (hopefully the ladies). :)

gabosaurus
03-14-2016, 01:11 PM
Social simulator? I just come here to talk to people. :dunno:

fj1200
03-14-2016, 01:21 PM
Social simulator? I just come here to talk to people. :dunno:

Potato, pot-ah-to.