PDA

View Full Version : My visit to Dachau Death Camp, just northwest of Munich.

darin
03-14-2016, 05:43 AM
As I walked through the camp my emotions felt smothered. I read the first plaque about the liberation and found myself thinking about the short career I held, as a Soldier.

Over the years I spoke to and encouraged my kids to join any of the Military services. I think Dachau answered the reason why.

In life, in society, eventually governments will take hold of power and subdue masses via force. That pattern is as old as mankind - perhaps even in social animal societies. Germany elected the government eventually morphing into the monsters who killed millions of otherwise-innocent people.

When the Government of our nation or another nation holds-hostage the once-free, brave men and women will serve to free those prisoners. In life, will you be a Liberator or one who is in need of liberation. Join the cause of protection of freedom. Contribute something towards that end. While you may not break down the walls of a death camp, while you serve you hold-open the position of one of your successors who may break the locks and tear down the fences.

(click for larger, of course)

darin
03-14-2016, 05:45 AM
more

darin
03-14-2016, 05:48 AM
more....

darin
03-14-2016, 05:50 AM
another set

darin
03-14-2016, 05:52 AM
more photos

darin
03-14-2016, 05:54 AM
last set.

Voted4Reagan
03-14-2016, 06:04 AM
Great post Darin.... striking images...

CSM
03-14-2016, 06:10 AM
A profound and somber experience, to be sure. Well, said, by the way.

darin
03-14-2016, 06:15 AM
Great post Darin.... striking images...

A profound and somber experience, to be sure. Well, said, by the way.

Thank you, both. Walking the compound my heart felt heavy, quiet, and reverent.

Voted4Reagan
03-14-2016, 06:22 AM
Thank you, both. Walking the compound my heart felt heavy, quiet, and reverent.

Imagine the hearts of those that were residents....

It can never be allowed to happen again....

jimnyc
03-14-2016, 06:23 AM
Thanks for sharing. I saw some of this on your FB yesterday as well. It's not often for me that I see photos that REALLY make me think, that give me an ill feeling at the same time. It's hard to comprehend what happened in the past without having been there, but these photos tell an awful lot, and it's not good. :(

Abbey Marie
03-14-2016, 09:57 AM
Your pictures seem to capture the somber and desperate feelings, and the horror.

Well done, Darin.

For an uplifting book on the subject: The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom

From Amazon:

Corrie ten Boom was a Dutch watchmaker who became a heroine of the Resistance, a survivor of Hitler's concentration camps, and one of the most remarkable evangelists of the twentieth century. In World War II she and her family risked their lives to help Jews and underground workers escape from the Nazis, and for their work they were tested in the infamous Nazi death camps. Only Corrie among her family survived to tell the story of how faith ultimately triumphs over evil.

NightTrain
03-14-2016, 10:15 AM
Darin, do you know if the Jewish church was there and operational during the genocidal period?

It seems counter intuitive that the Nazis would provide a church when the end game was to kill all of them. Maybe that was added after?

Elessar
03-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Darin, do you know if the Jewish church was there and operational during the genocidal period?

It seems counter intuitive that the Nazis would provide a church when the end game was to kill all of them. Maybe that was added after?

After reading about all those camps online, I recall the Jewish church was added after the liberation and War's end.

darin
03-14-2016, 12:07 PM
Righto - all that was added after the fact to perhaps bring peace to the grounds.

gabosaurus
03-14-2016, 01:09 PM
Thanks, Darin. This thread reminds me of when my great aunt took me to Dachau about a decade ago. It is one of the most chilling experiences anyone can experience. Even more when you are looking at it from the German point of voice.

darin
03-14-2016, 02:38 PM
I believe there is nothing I have posted, ever, about travel anywhere or any experience you didn't relate to by having been, or had close personal knowledge. I don't believe anything you write.

namvet
03-14-2016, 03:00 PM
and even today there are those that deny it ever happened

glockmail
03-14-2016, 03:28 PM
I believe there is nothing I have posted, ever, about travel anywhere or any experience you didn't relate to by having been, or had close personal knowledge. I don't believe anything you write. :clap: