PDA

View Full Version : Herniated disc anyone else have this problem?

Trinity
07-17-2007, 07:56 AM
I found out a little over a year ago that I had a herniated disc..... hmmm guess that would explain my back problems.

I have been on pain medicine off and on for this whole period, they tried an epidural injection which did not work. My family DR. is now referring me to a pain management clinic. Anyone here have this problem or experience with a pain management clinic? What can I expect from them as far as treatments go? I really do not want back surgery which is why I believe my doctor is referring me there.

Mr. P
07-17-2007, 08:04 AM
I found out a little over a year ago that I had a herniated disc..... hmmm guess that would explain my back problems.

I have been on pain medicine off and on for this whole period, they tried an epidural injection which did not work. My family DR. is now referring me to a pain management clinic. Anyone here have this problem or experience with a pain management clinic? What can I expect from them as far as treatments go? I really do not want back surgery which is why I believe my doctor is referring me there.

I worked with a guy that went the whole drill you mention, he finally had the surgery.

I think JimNYC had it too.

Dilloduck
07-17-2007, 08:19 AM
I worked with a guy that went the whole drill you mention, he finally had the surgery.

I think JimNYC had it too.

My sister hasn't walked unaided for years. The epidural and pain pump succeeded in infecting her spinal column with MRSA which now rules out all forms of reconstructive back surgery. (She also became quite addicted to the pain meds which became a problem in itself.)

Kathianne
07-17-2007, 09:30 AM
I had two discs suddenly rupture at the same time in 1987, I was making a bed. :lame2: Such pain I never knew. I was in traction 10 days, that seemed to do the trick, although I have to be very careful with sudden movements-like whipping a heavy comforter around. :laugh2:

The doc said if it happened again, it would take surgery.

glockmail
07-17-2007, 12:29 PM
I've been luky and never had significant back problems. However I do take the holistic approach and eat well, exercise and such. I don't take vitamins but instead rely on a varied diet, fresh veggies (home grown when I can get 'em), adequate calcium, and I'm a firm believer in drinking lots of tap water for its flouride and micronutrients.

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 12:39 PM

I have the same problem. My back injury started as a couple herniated discs and got worse. Your disc's will start to degenerate as well. As far as pain managment you will have a doctor that takes care of your pain with medication, physical therapy, tens unit possibly accupuncture. I have been in it for close to 3 years. If your doctor wanted you to goto surgery he would have sent you to an orthopedic doctor or a neurosurgin. Actually if he is sending you to pain managment heis trying to see if they can get the pain under control without surgery. I can give you a list of the different medications and patches that worked for me and what to as the doctor if you wanna shoot me a pm.

jimnyc
07-17-2007, 05:25 PM

First and foremost, and it may be a dumb question, but have you had an MRI yet? I was going for treatment at a chiropractor and receiving pain meds, at least until I had an MRI and found my disc to be literally pushing into my spinal cord. The first determination has to be whether or not it is feasible to expect recovery without surgery. This can be one of the most painful things you'll ever experience if it gets worse.

FWIW, the surgery isn't as bad as it sounds. In fact, I was out of there the same day. Well, I escaped actually, but that's another story!

Can you give us a better description of your herniation, and what your doctor has stated about the possibility of it fixing itself with proper medications?

Trinity
07-17-2007, 07:04 PM
First and foremost, and it may be a dumb question, but have you had an MRI yet? I was going for treatment at a chiropractor and receiving pain meds, at least until I had an MRI and found my disc to be literally pushing into my spinal cord. The first determination has to be whether or not it is feasible to expect recovery without surgery. This can be one of the most painful things you'll ever experience if it gets worse.

FWIW, the surgery isn't as bad as it sounds. In fact, I was out of there the same day. Well, I escaped actually, but that's another story!

Can you give us a better description of your herniation, and what your doctor has stated about the possibility of it fixing itself with proper medications?

It is bulging. I had an MRI done about a year ago and can't remember what disc for sure but I think it is the 3rd one up on my lower back. The only thing my doctor has ever said was getting the epidural injection and since that did not work she is now referring me to a pain management clinic which pretty much tells me it is not going to fix itself.

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 07:17 PM
It is bulging. I had an MRI done about a year ago and can't remember what disc for sure but I think it is the 3rd one up on my lower back. The only thing my doctor has ever said was getting the epidural injection and since that did not work she is now referring me to a pain management clinic which pretty much tells me it is not going to fix itself.

You need to have a recent MRI. One of my Disc Herniations went from a Herniation to almost completly Degenerated in 4 months, at that point you have to have Disc replacement surgery. Also pray you never have to have a Discogram as that is the most painful test you will ever have.

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 07:18 PM

I don't know you that well at all but I can picture you being a nirses worst nightmere. :laugh2:

Trinity
07-26-2007, 08:01 AM
for those of you that recall me having an issue with getting pain meds from my doctor and her giving me a referral to a pain management clinic instead here's the latest............

The doctor gave me this referral the beginning of last week, however by this past Tuesday I still had not heard from this clinic so I called my doctor up and asked what is going on did you contact them yet? The doctors office told me they told me they had received a fax that morning that said that clinic does not take my insurance :confused:I was like WTF...ok so know what? I am still in pain! can't get into this clinic! my doctor needs to give me something till i can get in somewhere!

The nurse tells me he will ask the doctor and call me back............. so 2 hours later the nurse calls back and says the doctor wants to see me first I said ok! today!............... so I go to the doctor she gives me pain meds Thank God! she then gives me a referral to a Chiropractor, and a referral to a spinal clinic, and they are still looking for a pain management clinic for me.

I am scared to go to this spinal clinic, I have a feeling that they will want to do surgery. I know that my back is worse now then it was a year ago when I had the first MRI done. When I had the fist one done my back only hurt occasionally not all the time, now it hurts all the time and in more places then it did before.

But hey I did learn the difference between a bulging disc and a herniated disc. The nurse told me look at it like it is a jelly donut the crust is the outer part and the jelly is the disc. Bulging means that the jelly part is pushing the outer crust outward......where herniated means the jelly has actually broke through the crust...... damn no wonder my back hurts all the time.