PDA

View Full Version : Trump is a symptom, not the disease

tailfins
03-16-2016, 08:36 AM
There is a populist wing of the GOP, which Trump represents and a conservative wing, which Cruz represents. It has become obvious that reality TV tactics "trump" facts and evidence. Just wait until the left find's it's version of Trump. Yes, the Trump candidacy has changed politics, and not for the better. It's a choice of "free stuff" versus "tickled ears". Of the two, I suppose "tickled ears" is better because it's cheaper. Our founding fathers said only a virtuous people can be self-governing. The American public is no longer a virtuous people. That went out with prayer in government schools. Irrespective of the outcome of a Trump versus Clinton, this election will bring us one step closer to an authoritarian government. Even if Cruz manages to become the GOP nominee (15% chance), the fact that the Trump phenomenon is even happening is toothpaste that can't be put back into the tube.

The big question for conservatives is this: Will the greatest influence be gained inside or outside the GOP? At some point the only option is an alternative society, using the Amish as a model, pursuing cultural separatism.

Trump is a populist, NOT a conservative. It's amazing how many people just take Trump at his word when his life tells a different story. The "shiny object" society has arrived.

jimnyc
03-16-2016, 08:39 AM
It's a choice of "free stuff" versus "tickled ears". Of the two, I suppose "tickled ears" is better because it's cheaper.

Actually, I think the criminal element may prevail over the free stuff!

Perianne
03-16-2016, 08:40 AM
Perhaps you don't mean to, but your piece reads as if a Populist can't be a Conservative. I disagree with that.

Gunny
03-16-2016, 08:50 AM
There is a populist wing of the GOP, which Trump represents and a conservative wing, which Cruz represents. It has become obvious that reality TV tactics "trump" facts and evidence. Just wait until the left find's it's version of Trump. Yes, the Trump candidacy has changed politics, and not for the better. It's a choice of "free stuff" versus "tickled ears". Of the two, I suppose "tickled ears" is better because it's cheaper. Our founding fathers said only a virtuous people can be self-governing. The American public is no longer a virtuous people. That went out with prayer in government schools. Irrespective of the outcome of a Trump versus Clinton, this election will bring us one step closer to an authoritarian government. Even if Cruz manages to become the GOP nominee (15% chance), the fact that the Trump phenomenon is even happening is toothpaste that can't be put back into the tube.

The big question for conservatives is this: Will the greatest influence be gained inside or outside the GOP? At some point the only option is an alternative society, using the Amish as a model, pursuing cultural separatism.

Trump is a populist, NOT a conservative. It's amazing how many people just take Trump at his word when his life tells a different story. The "shiny object" society has arrived.

I disagree. Obama changed politics. You can call Trump a symptom if you want, but the fact is he didn't create this game. We allowed it to happen. The very second a lying, conniving SOB got elected WE let it happen. When being a media star became more important than knowing WTF you were doing, we lost.

And FTR, I'm not a fan of ANYBODY on the ticket nowadays. This whole election is a wash to me. How about if we don't pick the bold-faced criminal and liar this time?

fj1200
03-16-2016, 01:16 PM
Perhaps you don't mean to, but your piece reads as if a Populist can't be a Conservative. I disagree with that.

I would say in general that they can not. Some issues may overlap but they are distinct -isms as much as populism is one.

Black Diamond
03-16-2016, 02:45 PM
Obama begat Trump.

Gunny
03-16-2016, 02:57 PM
Obama begat Trump.

Actually, the MSM begat them both. No one wants to look past that simple fact. The media is choosing our candidates. WE are letting them. Obama and Trump are just the latest and worst of the litter. This started with Kennedy. He looked good on TV and Nixon didn't when Nixon was the more qualified candidate. It's a rock star show.

The most qualified person I've seen this year is Ben Carson. Where's Mr No Personality? Rick Perry? Our economy in Texas is the 6th largest in the world. Where's the US sitting? Instead, we got Daddy Warbucks on one side and a criminal on the other. Outcome looks wonderful. :rolleyes:

Black Diamond
03-16-2016, 03:00 PM
Actually, the MSM begat them both. No one wants to look past that simple fact. The media is choosing our candidates. WE are letting them. Obama and Trump are just the latest and worst of the litter. This started with Kennedy. He looked good on TV and Nixon didn't when Nixon was the more qualified candidate. It's a rock star show.

The most qualified person I've seen this year is Ben Carson. Where's Mr No Personality? Rick Perry? Our economy in Texas is the 6th largest in the world. Where's the US sitting? Instead, we got Daddy Warbucks on one side and a criminal on the other. Outcome looks wonderful. :rolleyes:

Lol be funny if Trump shaves his head now.

Gunny
03-16-2016, 03:04 PM
Lol be funny if Trump shaves his head now.

I'll plant a chia pet on his grape myself if he tries that shit. Those of us that are discriminated against because we shave our heads have f-ing rights too.:laugh:

revelarts
03-16-2016, 03:09 PM
Obama begat Trump.

that's funny.
so Obama forced Republicans to vote for Trump. sheesh. Republucans did what Obama told them too. lol

But Hey BD, if "Obama begat Trump." then W Bush beget Obama, right?

jimnyc
03-16-2016, 03:11 PM
This started with Kennedy. He looked good on TV and Nixon didn't when Nixon was the more qualified candidate.

I wouldn't know about that, you old dirt breather! :lol: :laugh2:

:beer:

Black Diamond
03-16-2016, 03:23 PM
that's funny.
so Obama forced Republicans to vote for Trump. sheesh. Republucans did what Obama told them too. lol

But Hey BD, if "Obama begat Trump." then W Bush beget Obama, right? revelarts
In a way, yes. I actually almost said Bush begat Obama and Obama begat Trump. One thing I need to do is say what I think the first time. And no one forced anyone to do anything.

Gunny
03-16-2016, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't know about that, you old dirt breather! :lol: :laugh2:

:beer:

It only hurts if you exhale the wrong way, f*cker. Then you got laundry to do. I HATE laundry.