PDA

View Full Version : DJ fined for playing song while police there

jimnyc
03-16-2016, 11:41 AM
Hmmmmm.... Ok, don't kill me, I like this song, used to listen to it all the time, but many years back. I still like the song, but not because of any real life issues since then. I wouldn't blast this for the police. And I can easily see how this can potentially get folks riled up.

At the same time, it's music, it's their place, no longer 'freedom of speech'? (yes, I know the definition)

But sounds like he turned it on after they got there, and there was a huge crowd involved. I think it was a good decision with all things considered.

Wait, wait, wait... read too quick, supposedly it was cued prior to their arrival, and "his side of the bar" had emptied already.

Can go either way, but I still say to be cautious.

---

A DJ has been charged with disorderly conduct for playing N.W.A.'s classic 'F*ck tha Police' while cops attempted to clear an overcrowded bar.

MassLive reports the incident occurred as police officers in Westfield, Massachusetts were called to dispel the 350 people who had packed into the 160-capacity establishment, Shenanigans Pub. That's when Kashawn Harris, AKA DJ Boogy, started to play the song; which resulted in one of the officers penning the 25-year-old a summons for disorderly conduct.

"I believed at that time the combination of alcohol, the excessive amount of people in the bar and the song that the DJ chose to play at that time was an intentional act by the DJ to incite the crowd which showed a reckless disregard for public safety," wrote Officer Juanita Mejias in her report.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/dj-fined-for-playing-fk-tha-police-while-cops-raided-a-bar-a6933891.html

fj1200
03-16-2016, 01:14 PM
It's the same as yelling fire in a crowded theater. I think he'd be liable if a riot were to ensue.

jimnyc
03-16-2016, 01:20 PM
It's the same as yelling fire in a crowded theater. I think he'd be liable if a riot were to ensue.

I agree. It's touchy all the way around, because I could technically argue for their rights. But your indoors, a lot of people, the cops are there - and the song will almost definitely get folks thinking, at the very least.

Here are the lyrics. I love the song, but as entertainment, NOT in the slightest bit because of the police, who I wholly support. And then the video if anyone cares to listen.

*** THE VIDEO IS NSFW!!! ***

-----

[MC Ren as Court Officer]
Right about now, N.W.A. court is in full effect
Judge Dre presiding
In the case of N.W.A. vs. the Police Department;
prosecuting attorney's are: MC Ren, Ice Cube,
and Eazy-motherfucking-E

[Dr. Dre as The Judge]
Order, order, order
Ice Cube, take the motherfucking stand
Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth
and nothing but the truth so help your black ass?

[Ice Cube as Witness]
You god damn right!

[Dr. Dre]
Well won't you tell everybody what the fuck you gotta say?

[Ice Cube]
Fuck the police coming straight from the underground
A young nigga got it bad cause I'm brown
And not the other color so police think
they have the authority to kill a minority
Fuck that shit, cause I ain't the one
for a punk motherfucker with a badge and a gun
to be beating on, and thrown in jail
We can go toe to toe in the middle of a cell
Fucking with me cause I'm a teenager
with a little bit of gold and a pager
Searching my car, looking for the product
Thinking every nigga is selling narcotics
You'd rather see, me in the pen
than me and Lorenzo rolling in a Benz-o
Beat a police out of shape
and when I'm finished, bring the yellow tape
To tape off the scene of the slaughter
Still getting swoll off bread and water
I don't know if they fags or what
Search a nigga down, and grabbing his nuts
And on the other hand, without a gun they can't get none
But don't let it be a black and a white one
Cause they'll slam ya down to the street top
Black police showing out for the white cop
Ice Cube will swarm
on ANY motherfucker in a blue uniform
Just cause I'm from, the CPT
Punk police are afraid of me!
HUH, a young nigga on the warpath
And when I'm finished, it's gonna be a bloodbath
of cops, dying in L.A.
Yo Dre, I got something to say

[cut and scratched 4x] "Fuck the police"

Example of scene one

[Cop] Pull your god damn ass over right now
[NWA] Aww shit, now what the fuck you pulling me over for?
[Cop] Cause I feel like it!
Just sit your ass on the curb and shut the fuck up
[NWA] Man, fuck this shit
[Cop] Aight smartass, I'm taking your black ass to jail!

[Dr. Dre]
MC Ren, will you please give your testimony
to the jury about this fucked up incident?

[MC Ren]
Fuck the police and Ren said it with authority
because the niggas on the street is a majority
A gang, is with whoever I'm stepping
and the motherfucking weapon is kept in
a stash box, for the so-called law
Wishing Ren was a nigga that they never saw
Lights start flashing behind me
But they're scared of a nigga so they mace me to blind me
But that shit don't work, I just laugh
because it gives em a hint, not to step in my path
For police, I'm saying, "Fuck you punk!"
Reading my rights and shit, it's all junk
Pulling out a silly club, so you stand
with a fake-assed badge and a gun in your hand
But take off the gun so you can see what's up
And we'll go at it punk, and I'ma fuck you up!
Make you think I'ma kick your ass
but drop your gat, and Ren's gonna blast
I'm sneaky as fuck when it comes to crime
But I'ma smoke 'em now and not next time
Smoke any motherfucker that sweats me
or any asshole, that threatens me
I'm a sniper with a hell of a scope
Taking out a cop or two, they can't cope with me
The motherfucking villain that's mad
With potential, to get bad as fuck
So I'ma turn it around
Put in my clip, yo, and this is the sound
Yeah, something like that
but it all depends on the size of the gat
Taking out a police, would make my day
But a nigga like Ren don't give a fuck to say

[Cop] [knocking on the door]
[NWA] Yeah man, what you need?
[Cop] Police, open now
[NWA] Aww shit
[Cop] We have a warrant for Eazy-E's arrest
[Cop] Get down and put your hands up where I can see 'em
(Move motherfucker, move now!)
[NWA] What the fuck did I do, man what did I do?
[Cop] Just shut the fuck up
and get your motherfucking ass on the floor
(You heard the man, shut the fuck up!)
[NWA] But I didn't do shit
[Cop] Man just shut the fuck up!

[Dr. Dre]
Eazy-E, won't you step up to the stand
and tell the jury how you feel about this bullshit?

[Eazy-E]
I'm tired of the motherfucking jacking
Sweating my gang, while I'm chilling in the shack, and
shining the light in my face, and for what?
Maybe it's because I kick so much butt
I kick ass - or maybe cause I blast
on a stupid-assed nigga when I'm playing with the trigger
of any Uzi or an AK
Cause the police always got something stupid to say
They put out my picture with silence
Cause my identity by itself causes violence
The E with the criminal behavior
Yeah, I'm a gangsta, but still I got flavor
Without a gun and a badge, what do ya got?
A sucker in a uniform waiting to get shot
by me, or another nigga
And with a gat it don't matter if he's smaller or bigger
([MC Ren:] Size ain't shit, he's from the old school fool)
And as you all know, E's here to rule
Whenever I'm rolling, keep looking in the mirror
And ears on cue, yo, so I can hear a
dumb motherfucker with a gun
And if I'm rolling off the 8, he'll be the one
that I take out, and then get away
While I'm driving off laughing this is what I'll say

The verdict

[Dre] The jury has found you guilty of being a redneck,
white bread, chickenshit motherfucker
[Cop] But wait, that's a lie! That's a god damn lie!
[Dre] Get him out of here!
[Cop] I want justice!
[Dre] Get him the fuck out my face!
[Cop] I want justice!
[Dre] Out, RIGHT NOW!
[Cop] FUCK YOU, YOU BLACK MOTHER-FUCKERS!

[B]*** Again, this video is NSFW!! ***

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7-TTWgiYL4

fj1200
03-16-2016, 01:24 PM
I agree. It's touchy all the way around, because I could technically argue for their rights. But your indoors, a lot of people, the cops are there - and the song will almost definitely get folks thinking, at the very least.

But that right is not absolute and limitations have been allowed by SCOTUS. The establishment was already in violation of zoning codes apparently as well.

jimnyc
03-16-2016, 01:29 PM
But that right is not absolute and limitations have been allowed by SCOTUS. The establishment was already in violation of zoning codes apparently as well.

I know, I'm just speaking from my opinion in my echoing head, not from a legal standpoint. I WANT them to have rights, as I'm a big believer in allowing people to speak up, and I guess that extended would be singing and/or playing music with whatever lyrics as well. But what I want and would like to see aren't always in agreement with the courts. But even then, if they turned this on and up while they were there, a bunch of nitwits are liable to hear it and try to imitate art.

Gunny
03-16-2016, 02:26 PM
Hmmmmm.... Ok, don't kill me, I like this song, used to listen to it all the time, but many years back. I still like the song, but not because of any real life issues since then. I wouldn't blast this for the police. And I can easily see how this can potentially get folks riled up.

At the same time, it's music, it's their place, no longer 'freedom of speech'? (yes, I know the definition)

But sounds like he turned it on after they got there, and there was a huge crowd involved. I think it was a good decision with all things considered.

Wait, wait, wait... read too quick, supposedly it was cued prior to their arrival, and "his side of the bar" had emptied already.

Can go either way, but I still say to be cautious.

---

A DJ has been charged with disorderly conduct for playing N.W.A.'s classic 'F*ck tha Police' while cops attempted to clear an overcrowded bar.

MassLive reports the incident occurred as police officers in Westfield, Massachusetts were called to dispel the 350 people who had packed into the 160-capacity establishment, Shenanigans Pub. That's when Kashawn Harris, AKA DJ Boogy, started to play the song; which resulted in one of the officers penning the 25-year-old a summons for disorderly conduct.

"I believed at that time the combination of alcohol, the excessive amount of people in the bar and the song that the DJ chose to play at that time was an intentional act by the DJ to incite the crowd which showed a reckless disregard for public safety," wrote Officer Juanita Mejias in her report.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/dj-fined-for-playing-fk-tha-police-while-cops-raided-a-bar-a6933891.html

I think it's funny. BAD taste and dumb decision, but funny anyway. :laugh:

Perianne
03-16-2016, 02:52 PM
What a terrible song with terrible lyrics. Jim, I hope you wash your ears after listening to such filth.

jimnyc
03-16-2016, 03:13 PM
What a terrible song with terrible lyrics. Jim, I hope you wash your ears after listening to such filth.

You weren't supposed to read them lyrics woman!! :laugh:

Gunny
03-16-2016, 03:20 PM

You're kidding right? The guy that thinks all our names are "bastard"? I call everyone f*cker. If I'm being polite it's "Motherf*cker". Jeff and NT make up sh*t as they go along.

No one needs to wash their ears. Someone needs to know their audience.

fj1200
03-17-2016, 10:50 AM
I know, I'm just speaking from my opinion in my echoing head, not from a legal standpoint. I WANT them to have rights, as I'm a big believer in allowing people to speak up, and I guess that extended would be singing and/or playing music with whatever lyrics as well. But what I want and would like to see aren't always in agreement with the courts. But even then, if they turned this on and up while they were there, a bunch of nitwits are liable to hear it and try to imitate art.

Everybody wants them to have rights... and good judgement.

revelarts
03-17-2016, 01:47 PM
So a record playing at an event in the background is wrong because without doubt it could have incited violence.
But what Trump says directly to fans never can or will have any influence? even though there has been violence.
"Get them outta here!!" "I'll pay for any legal expenses" "these people are no good" "Mexiacans are rapist" "i'd like to punch them in the mouth"

how does this work in your heads folks?
Double Think (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Double+Think) is the only way to reconcile these views.

Gunny
03-17-2016, 02:28 PM
So a record playing at an event in the background is wrong because without doubt it could have incited violence.
But what Trump says directly to fans never can or will have any influence? even though there has been violence.
"Get them outta here!!" "I'll pay for any legal expenses" "these people are no good" "Mexiacans are rapist" "i'd like to punch them in the mouth"

how does this work in your heads folks?
Double Think (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Double+Think) is the only way to reconcile these views.

Have I heard this argument before? :rolleyes:

The most disappointing moment in my life was I couldn't be John Wayne. You raise people on this shit and think it's a choice? What choice does a 3 years old have? Well, we'll watch the Rifleman, Gunsmoke and toss in some Major Adams for effect.

Then you can raise me up in a Cold War military family where all we do is kill commies.

WTF do you expect us to be? Nice little choir boys? So use your own "double think" term. You're trying to outthink yourself, not us. We know what we're good at. What are YOU good at besides word games? Or so you think. You're not even that good at that.

I play with live rounds. Bring your words. We'll see who wins.

Jeff
03-18-2016, 07:41 AM
You weren't supposed to read them lyrics woman!! :laugh:

Jim is a dirty dirty lil man, not like me Perianne, heck I listen to good music and would never think of using such profanity. :laugh:

Gunny
03-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Jim is a dirty dirty lil man, not like me Perianne, heck I listen to good music and would never think of using such profanity. :laugh:

He's a dickhead just like you. You can call it whatever you want but a dickhead is still a dickhead. I of course would never consider using profanity. :halounplugged: