PDA

View Full Version : Best Forum?

Kathianne
07-17-2007, 04:44 PM
I think so, but if a mod/admin thinks better, please move.

USMB which most who post here are familiar with, has become an echo chamber much like what I've observed here, but different.

There is more of both liberal and conservative talking points there, yet both are just whizzing past each other.

Here, it's mostly conservative all the time, with multi-posts on news articles that any nitwit could find, but those are by one, mostly NM, but there is Steph and me too. At the same time, other than the few responses on articles that are spamed and acknowledged, the main are on personal stuff. Mostly homo or religious based.

I'm not knocking any of those, but if this site is to grow, which I think we all wish, especially Jim, there has to be more. I'd like to post more, but need some to feed off of mine. I've never been into slamming, unless I was slammed first. When I think someone was slammed for no reason, I'd like to think I've earned a rep for jumping into the thread to protect.

From what I've observed here over several months, only Stephanie has consistently been posting WOT and current events posts, with psychoblues being the major responder. I'd like to think there are more thoughtful folks here.

Mr. P
07-17-2007, 04:58 PM

USMB which most who post here are familiar with, has become an echo chamber much like what I've observed here, but different.

There is more of both liberal and conservative talking points there, yet both are just whizzing past each other.

Here, it's mostly conservative all the time, with multi-posts on news articles that any nitwit could find, but those are by one, mostly NM, but there is Steph and me too. At the same time, other than the few responses on articles that are spamed and acknowledged, the main are on personal stuff. Mostly homo or religious based.

I'm not knocking any of those, but if this site is to grow, which I think we all wish, especially Jim, there has to be more. I'd like to post more, but need some to feed off of mine. I've never been into slamming, unless I was slammed first. When I think someone was slammed for no reason, I'd like to think I've earned a rep for jumping into the thread to protect.

From what I've observed here over several months, only Stephanie has consistently been posting WOT and current events posts, with psychoblues being the major responder. I'd like to think there are more thoughtful folks here.

IMO, it was the same on the old board too..just different players.

Kathianne
07-17-2007, 05:13 PM
IMO, it was the same on the old board too..just different players.

I wouldn't argue. I'm looking for what might build up interest. Both for Jim's interests and my own as far as a locale to vent.

jimnyc
07-17-2007, 05:35 PM
There are several issues going on, none of which are unique to this board. My main issue right now is finances. I haven't had the money to properly advertise or get involved in proper link exchanges. I don't believe in the scam methods to get members here, or you'll end up with the posters that Greg brought along after he bought USMB - spammers. When you use spam techniques to get visitors, you generally get spammers registering. I think we would all agree we would rather have a smaller population, but of members of quality.

Secondly is the current crop of members we have, which is primarily conservative. I guess that puts off quite a few liberals. I have found the site linked to from many other forums where they link to us only to laugh at our thoughts. Other liberals that make the leap get scared off, or pushed out by the majority here. I will say that most approach the board improperly and generally deserve the treatment they receive, but it does in fact leave others wondering. But in all fairness, I have seen a few decent liberals leave because of the majority "harassing" them.

It's not easy to bring both liberals and conservatives together in a productive environment but it's certainly possible, and I've done it before. It's not just an effort of board staff, it's also the responsibility of all members to make a community productive. And please, don't anyone take that as an insult, I'm just trying to look at things honestly. I think the core members here are fantastic and I love interacting with everyone here.

So without appropriate funds to market the site, we are left with word of mouth and search engines. It takes quite a bit of time to build up rankings in the SE's in an organic manner.

I'll expand more after dinner if anyone cares. The boy wants hot dogs, and he wants them now! :)

Kathianne
07-17-2007, 05:49 PM
There are several issues going on, none of which are unique to this board. My main issue right now is finances. I haven't had the money to properly advertise or get involved in proper link exchanges. I don't believe in the scam methods to get members here, or you'll end up with the posters that Greg brought along after he bought USMB - spammers. When you use spam techniques to get visitors, you generally get spammers registering. I think we would all agree we would rather have a smaller population, but of members of quality.

Secondly is the current crop of members we have, which is primarily conservative. I guess that puts off quite a few liberals. I have found the site linked to from many other forums where they link to us only to laugh at our thoughts. Other liberals that make the leap get scared off, or pushed out by the majority here. I will say that most approach the board improperly and generally deserve the treatment they receive, but it does in fact leave others wondering. But in all fairness, I have seen a few decent liberals leave because of the majority "harassing" them.

It's not easy to bring both liberals and conservatives together in a productive environment but it's certainly possible, and I've done it before. It's not just an effort of board staff, it's also the responsibility of all members to make a community productive. And please, don't anyone take that as an insult, I'm just trying to look at things honestly. I think the core members here are fantastic and I love interacting with everyone here.

So without appropriate funds to market the site, we are left with word of mouth and search engines. It takes quite a bit of time to build up rankings in the SE's in an organic manner.

I'll expand more after dinner if anyone cares. The boy wants hot dogs, and he wants them now! :)

I'm just confuse. But I'll wait until after dinner. ;)

jimnyc
07-17-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm just confuse. But I'll wait until after dinner. ;)

I'm not sure anyone cares about my thoughts, so I'll hold off on that for now. But what is it your confused about?

Kathianne
07-17-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure anyone cares about my thoughts, so I'll hold off on that for now. But what is it your confused about?

what makes for good conversatiion. I know I'm good at issues, but I'm kinda weird at what others think interesting. Then there are those that seem interesting, but can't last beyond a question or two.

Happy medium is what we are looking for, no?

Said1
07-17-2007, 06:20 PM

I suppose you're right,but since it's your board. I'll let you post you thoughts. :laugh2:

Seriously though, Aside from what you said about SEs etc, it's important for everyone to keep in mind that it's summer, people are outside. Less concerned with the rest of the world, unless it's REALLY bad.

jimnyc
07-17-2007, 06:35 PM
what makes for good conversatiion. I know I'm good at issues, but I'm kinda weird at what others think interesting. Then there are those that seem interesting, but can't last beyond a question or two.

Happy medium is what we are looking for, no?

Well, the beauty of the internet is that we find members with so many different interests gathered in one place. IMO, the most discussed is what is controversial. That's not to say that every thread needs to be an argument but something that provokes conversation and/or debate. Sometimes news stories are posted that are just ordinary, and I guess some don't feel like discussing why a bottle of water might cost $55 in NYC.

Also, I don't think just posting a link is sufficient. A lot of people don't like to respond to stories, but rather to the other members thoughts of said story. Of course major news will provoke conversation as well but that's few and far between.

Conservatives will generally make posts that support their position, or puts down the liberals. While liberals will do the same in their own defense. On a board that is predominantly conservative, this may lead to many short threads. Then we have general discussion mixed in as well. The best we can do is post things we are interested in, and that we feel others might be interested in discussing as well. Some threads will stick and go on forever while others will disappear to the second page rather quickly.

But again, this board is mostly about politics and debate, so IMO the threads that will get the most discussion going will be those controversial in nature.

I suppose you're right,but since it's your board. I'll let you post you thoughts. :laugh2:

Seriously though, Aside from what you said about SEs etc, it's important for everyone to keep in mind that it's summer, people are outside. Less concerned with the rest of the world, unless it's REALLY bad.

Why you dirty wench! :)

Agreed about the summer thingy. We're sure to have new members and trolls as the polls draw nearer as well. Of course it wouldn't hurt to market the site in an appropriate manner either, but free advertising doesn't exactly get the new members coming in droves!

Gaffer
07-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Kath, Steph, and NM are all pretty good about posting news items to get peoples interest and maybe some conversations going. Those are pretty much hit or miss. Some will get a lot of response others just get buried. But the posters are making an effort and I appreciate it.

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Kath, Steph, and NM are all pretty good about posting news items to get peoples interest and maybe some conversations going. Those are pretty much hit or miss. Some will get a lot of response others just get buried. But the posters are making an effort and I appreciate it.

Gotta give credit to Psycho as well. He is definatly fun to have around, even if he is a Liberal ;)

Said1
07-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Well, the beauty of the internet is that we find members with so many different interests gathered in one place. IMO, the most discussed is what is controversial. That's not to say that every thread needs to be an argument but something that provokes conversation and/or debate. Sometimes news stories are posted that are just ordinary, and I guess some don't feel like discussing why a bottle of water might cost $55 in NYC.

Also, I don't think just posting a link is sufficient. A lot of people don't like to respond to stories, but rather to the other members thoughts of said story. Of course major news will provoke conversation as well but that's few and far between.

Conservatives will generally make posts that support their position, or puts down the liberals. While liberals will do the same in their own defense. On a board that is predominantly conservative, this may lead to many short threads. Then we have general discussion mixed in as well. The best we can do is post things we are interested in, and that we feel others might be interested in discussing as well. Some threads will stick and go on forever while others will disappear to the second page rather quickly.

But again, this board is mostly about politics and debate, so IMO the threads that will get the most discussion going will be those controversial in nature.

Why you dirty wench! :)

Agreed about the summer thingy. We're sure to have new members and trolls as the polls draw nearer as well. Of course it wouldn't hurt to market the site in an appropriate manner either, but free advertising doesn't exactly get the new members coming in droves!

Did you just call me a wench, Butthead?

Boards have their ebb and flows. I'm sure most boards of this nature are going through the same motions right now.

People can post what they want to see more of - this may or may not generate more conversation......I think you already said that, right? :laugh2:

Gaffer
07-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Gotta give credit to Psycho as well. He is definatly fun to have around, even if he is a Liberal ;)

I keep him on my ignore list. He doesn't count for anything. If he were drowning I would throw him a cinder block.

Kathianne
07-17-2007, 07:08 PM
I keep him on my ignore list. He doesn't count for anything. If he were drowning I would throw him a cinder block.

after the cinder block, I throw in the anvil. History major and al.

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 07:11 PM

I actually really like him, his views don't match up with mine, but thats life. He has been through and accomplished a lot and has some great stories. Bu then again I usually like everyone as it's to much of a burden to dislike or carry grudges.

OCA
07-17-2007, 07:14 PM
He has been through and accomplished a lot

He's a fucking liar and you bought it hook, line and sinker. Don't argue this with me, i've been dealing with this prick for going on 4 years now.

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 07:21 PM
He's a fucking liar and you bought it hook, line and sinker. Don't argue this with me, i've been dealing with this prick for going on 4 years now.

According to you everyone is a liar, asshole fucker or some other profanity.

OCA
07-17-2007, 07:25 PM
According to you everyone is a liar, asshole fucker or some other profanity.

Yep, problem? You got a fucking problem? Puss out and put me on ignore, until then i'll continue to do what I do and currently what I do is ride your ass getting you to cut out all the mindless drivel you litter the board with.

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Yep, problem? You got a fucking problem? Puss out and put me on ignore, until then i'll continue to do what I do and currently what I do is ride your ass getting you to cut out all the mindless drivel you litter the board with.

Nope, I don't have a problem with anyone, you have some aggressions you need to deal with so I keep that in mind and it makes it easier to tolerate you. See unlike you I don't have to get on here and be combative against everyone who makes me mad, instead I watch people like you fly off the handle for the dumbest reasons and it's pretty amusing. So I should thank you for keeping me entertained. :cheers2:

OCA
07-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Nope, I don't have a problem with anyone, you have some aggressions you need to deal with so I keep that in mind and it makes it easier to tolerate you. See unlike you I don't have to get on here and be combative against everyone who makes me mad, instead I watch people like you fly off the handle for the dumbest reasons and it's pretty amusing. So I should thank you for keeping me entertained. :cheers2:

You do realize that you can't debate, right? You are whats called a post whore, a backslapper, its all fluff with nothing at its core..........and its becoming a chore to wade through all the garbage you post.

Gaffer
07-17-2007, 07:41 PM
I actually really like him, his views don't match up with mine, but thats life. He has been through and accomplished a lot and has some great stories. Bu then again I usually like everyone as it's to much of a burden to dislike or carry grudges.

OCA is right. He is a liar. He hasn't been through even a fraction of what he says he has. He's been caught on it numerous times. The stories he tells are just that, stories. Anything you have done he has done it twice as much. He's a legend in his own mind. So take what he has to say with a grain of salt.

Gaffer
07-17-2007, 07:42 PM
after the cinder block, I throw in the anvil. History major and al.

Just for good measure we can follow it up with a depth charge.

nevadamedic
07-17-2007, 07:44 PM
OCA is right. He is a liar. He hasn't been through even a fraction of what he says he has. He's been caught on it numerous times. The stories he tells are just that, stories. Anything you have done he has done it twice as much. He's a legend in his own mind. So take what he has to say with a grain of salt.

Hmmmmm, well it's neither here no there I like everyone until they give me a reason not to, but that's jut the type of person I am.

OCA
07-17-2007, 07:52 PM

You believe that shit Gaffer? This newbie has been dealing with Psycho for what, 2.5 months? And he's gonna tell ME about Psycho and how Psycho is a standup guy? No, uhuh, not happening. How long have I begged Psycho to scan some proof of, hell, just his military service? Some induction docs would suffice, hell they wouldn't have to be his cause I don't even know his real name but anything would suffice, 3.5 yrs later.............nothing, nada, tipota.

Gaffer
07-17-2007, 08:04 PM
You believe that shit Gaffer? This newbie has been dealing with Psycho for what, 2.5 months? And he's gonna tell ME about Psycho and how Psycho is a standup guy? No, uhuh, not happening. How long have I begged Psycho to scan some proof of, hell, just his military service? Some induction docs would suffice, hell they wouldn't have to be his cause I don't even know his real name but anything would suffice, 3.5 yrs later.............nothing, nada, tipota.

I don't blame NM. He's not familiar with psicko. After these posts he may look a little closer at what psicko has to say.

Your never going to get any proof cause he doesn't have any.

5stringJeff
07-17-2007, 09:44 PM

I think that this time next year, the board will be overflowing with people talking politics of all kinds. It's a slow season for politics right now, so you're left with the "hardcore" types, like us! :D

I'll try to dig up some interesting things to post. But, as you know, schoolwork calls! (Stupid homework assinging teachers... :D j/k)

diuretic
07-18-2007, 12:59 AM

In some forums the debate is like an artillery duel, shots fired at each other from a great distance to little effect mainly due to the ineptness of the gunners.

In some forums it's hand to hand combat. This is one of those :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
07-18-2007, 01:32 AM
I think that this time next year, the board will be overflowing with people talking politics of all kinds. It's a slow season for politics right now, so you're left with the "hardcore" types, like us! :D

I'll try to dig up some interesting things to post. But, as you know, schoolwork calls! (Stupid homework assinging teachers... :D j/k)

I've never seen homework assing, Jeff. What's that look like? :D

(I just couldn't resist!)

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 01:41 AM

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

5stringJeff
07-18-2007, 06:30 PM

Stupid smart-aleck mods...

:D

glockmail
07-18-2007, 06:42 PM

I don't blame NM. He's not familiar with psicko. After these posts he may look a little closer at what psicko has to say.

Your never going to get any proof cause he doesn't have any. Hate to break it to you lovebirds but I'm sorta with Nevada on this. Sure Psycho's a liar and a legend in his mind and all that, but occasisonally he's funny, which is way more than I can say with some atheists and queer enablers around here with zero sense of humor.

Kathianne
07-18-2007, 06:44 PM

Gotta love the teachers! LOL!

glockmail
07-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Gotta love the teachers! LOL! Just the 20-ish cute blonde ones that fullfill every teenage boy's fantasy. :poke:

Abbey Marie
07-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Stupid smart-aleck mods...

:D

Wasn't that in the job description? :D

jimnyc
07-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Hate to break it to you lovebirds but I'm sorta with Nevada on this. Sure Psycho's a liar and a legend in his mind and all that, but occasisonally he's funny, which is way more than I can say with some atheists and queer enablers around here with zero sense of humor.

I don't get caught up in his blabbery with politics anymore, he was driving me to drink. But I do think he's a decent fella. I also agree that he can be hilarious at times. Sorta reminds me of "Bobby Boucher" :laugh2:

OCA
07-18-2007, 07:38 PM
I don't get caught up in his blabbery with politics anymore, he was driving me to drink. But I do think he's a decent fella. I also agree that he can be hilarious at times. Sorta reminds me of "Bobby Boucher" :laugh2:

Psycho is a good guy the same way John Wayne Gacy was good with the ladies.

Psycho is a fucking moron.

jimnyc
07-18-2007, 07:41 PM
Psycho is a good guy the same way John Wayne Gacy was good with the ladies.

Psycho is a fucking moron.

Well, Bobby was a moron too! LOL

OCA
07-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Well, Bobby was a moron too! LOL

Who the hell is Bobby Boucher anyhow? Didn't think here was any other American alive stupider than Psycho and that includes retards.

jimnyc
07-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Who the hell is Bobby Boucher anyhow? Didn't think here was any other American alive stupider than Psycho and that includes retards.

You disappoint me!

Bobby Boucher - Adam Sandler in "The Waterboy"

jackass
07-18-2007, 07:47 PM
You disappoint me!

Damn I was just about to say that!

Thank you for showing me that...I appreciate it.

jimnyc
07-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Damn I was just about to say that!

Thank you for showing me that...I appreciate it.

Even 'tards like boobies! :)

jackass
07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Even 'tards like boobies! :)

EVERYONE likes boobies!!

5stringJeff
07-18-2007, 07:52 PM
EVERYONE likes boobies!!

Boobies is tha DEVIL!

http://thestockmasters.com/images/Waterboy_Mom.gif

jimnyc
07-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Boobies is tha DEVIL!

http://thestockmasters.com/images/Waterboy_Mom.gif

That movie was awesome. Only so many movies can have me cracking up just thinking about it!

OCA
07-18-2007, 08:00 PM
You disappoint me!

For chrissakes! Its been like 5 years since I saw that flick and I hit 40 this year so I can't remember what I ate for dinner tonight.

That movie sucked BTW, too stupid even for Sandler. Prefer Big Daddy from him, the scene where him, the kid and Rob Schneider playing the Russian delivery guy are playing poker and Schneider gets pissed off because he thinks the kid cheated him makes me piss myself laughing.

jackass
07-18-2007, 08:02 PM
For chrissakes! Its been like 5 years since I saw that flick and I hit 40 this year so I can't remember what I ate for dinner tonight.

That movie sucked BTW, too stupid even for Sandler. Prefer Big Daddy from him, the scene where him, the kid and Rob Schneider playing the Russian delivery guy are playing poker and Schneider gets pissed off because he thinks the kid cheated him makes me piss myself laughing.

Heep.......Heeppop......heeppopanonomous :laugh2:

glockmail
07-18-2007, 08:43 PM

You had a Greek Salad with some veal crap on a stick, followed with spumoni for dessert. Or is that Italian? Same diff... :poke: