PDA

View Full Version : Ted Cruz Wants to Raise Taxes on Your Grandma

jimnyc
03-17-2016, 11:42 AM
Since we were talking taxes.... Some good stuff, and then not so good stuff.

-----

Ted Cruz Wants to Raise Taxes on Your Grandma

His tax plan hurts those living off social security.

The winner of the Iowa Caucuses was the political outsider.

Pundits have tried to spin the results of the first presidential primary of the 2016 election as good for the establishment. Hillary Clinton winning more delegates in a state that is demographically favorable to Bernie Sanders may set her up to withstand the Vermont Senator’s insurgency. And Marco Rubio’s outperformance of expectations could be signaling the beginning of electability-minded Republicans coalescing around The Handsome One.

But take a step back and you realize that Iowa’s caucuses mostly told us what we already knew: at least half of the each party’s respective base is angry and seems to be calling for radical change. The question is whether voters just want change or the actual changes the leading candidates are proposing.

On the Republican side, Ted Cruz has endorsed policies that would fundamentally change who pays the federal government’s bills, and how.

As my colleague Shawn Tully points out, the Cruz plan would increase the price of the things we buy everyday by a lot. Cruz would argue that this would be more than offset by his tax plan’s increase in take-home pay. But what about people who no longer earn wages, like retired folks living off social security? They worked their whole life paying income taxes, and if Cruz’s plan is enacted, will have the rules of the game change on them when they can afford it least. Their entitlement payments won’t go up, but the price of everything they buy will.

Since older Americans vote in greater numbers than any other demographic group, and senior citizens are now one of the Republican Party’s most reliable voting blocks, expect Republican hopefuls to increasingly attack Cruz on this point in New Hampshire this week and beyond.

http://fortune.com/2016/02/02/ted-cruz-taxes/

Gunny
03-17-2016, 12:17 PM

-----

The winner of the Iowa Caucuses was the political outsider.

Pundits have tried to spin the results of the first presidential primary of the 2016 election as good for the establishment. Hillary Clinton winning more delegates in a state that is demographically favorable to Bernie Sanders may set her up to withstand the Vermont Senator’s insurgency. And Marco Rubio’s outperformance of expectations could be signaling the beginning of electability-minded Republicans coalescing around The Handsome One.

But take a step back and you realize that Iowa’s caucuses mostly told us what we already knew: at least half of the each party’s respective base is angry and seems to be calling for radical change. The question is whether voters just want change or the actual changes the leading candidates are proposing.

On the Republican side, Ted Cruz has endorsed policies that would fundamentally change who pays the federal government’s bills, and how.

As my colleague Shawn Tully points out, the Cruz plan would increase the price of the things we buy everyday by a lot. Cruz would argue that this would be more than offset by his tax plan’s increase in take-home pay. But what about people who no longer earn wages, like retired folks living off social security? They worked their whole life paying income taxes, and if Cruz’s plan is enacted, will have the rules of the game change on them when they can afford it least. Their entitlement payments won’t go up, but the price of everything they buy will.

Since older Americans vote in greater numbers than any other demographic group, and senior citizens are now one of the Republican Party’s most reliable voting blocks, expect Republican hopefuls to increasingly attack Cruz on this point in New Hampshire this week and beyond.

http://fortune.com/2016/02/02/ted-cruz-taxes/

I keep trying to stay out of this crap, but look ... the Republican establishment has been screwing those who can't fight back since I can remember. And let the boo birds come out but Reagan was one of the worst. And I can only speak for military vets. Our meager entitlements have been a target forever. When I joined, you got free medical for life (as a retiree), you could walk in on the dental clinic. I get 50% of my base pay in retirement. I think it's down to 35% nowadays after they got rid of that "Top 3" crap.

But where's a better target than people on a limited income that can't afford to fight back? Social security people are the same. They're stuck with the shaft they're given. I've paid into SS since 1976. Think y'all might want to spare me some change?

But it's not just Cruz, and no, I STILL don't like Trump. The establishment is what needs to be changed. We have a two-party system than acts like enemies while keeping themselves in business and everyone else out. They keep everyone's eyes off what they're up to with stupid talking points. What REAL difference is there between establishment Republicans and Democrats? Seems to me they just keep themselves in business.

jimnyc
03-17-2016, 12:30 PM
I keep trying to stay out of this crap, but look ... the Republican establishment has been screwing those who can't fight back since I can remember. And let the boo birds come out but Reagan was one of the worst. And I can only speak for military vets. Our meager entitlements have been a target forever. When I joined, you got free medical for life (as a retiree), you could walk in on the dental clinic. I get 50% of my base pay in retirement. I think it's down to 35% nowadays after they got rid of that "Top 3" crap.

But where's a better target than people on a limited income that can't afford to fight back? Social security people are the same. They're stuck with the shaft they're given. I've paid into SS since 1976. Think y'all might want to spare me some change?

But it's not just Cruz, and no, I STILL don't like Trump. The establishment is what needs to be changed. We have a two-party system than acts like enemies while keeping themselves in business and everyone else out. They keep everyone's eyes off what they're up to with stupid talking points. What REAL difference is there between establishment Republicans and Democrats? Seems to me they just keep themselves in business.

Wasn't about Trump.I was on the phone with my Dad in Florida and we were discussing various tax plans. That's when he was the one to mention something to me about this one. He's a dirt breather just like you!! LOL He's obviously worried about finances going forward, and his pension and other things of course. I just figured I would look around at the various candidates from both sides and any types of increases. Also similar, they say his plans will massively inrease our debt, the same they say with Trump. But hell, at least neither one of them wants to give everything to everyone for free. I think it was closer to $75 BILLION per year on that one - which wouldn't even cover any of the LOANS!!

fj1200
03-17-2016, 12:39 PM

-----

Not necessarily. The Blanket statement ignores the currently embedded corporate income tax which is eliminated.

Gunny
03-17-2016, 12:42 PM
Wasn't about Trump.I was on the phone with my Dad in Florida and we were discussing various tax plans. That's when he was the one to mention something to me about this one. He's a dirt breather just like you!! LOL He's obviously worried about finances going forward, and his pension and other things of course. I just figured I would look around at the various candidates from both sides and any types of increases. Also similar, they say his plans will massively inrease our debt, the same they say with Trump. But hell, at least neither one of them wants to give everything to everyone for free. I think it was closer to $75 BILLION per year on that one - which wouldn't even cover any of the LOANS!!

The problem is, as I am sure it is with your dad, we busted our asses. And what do we get? SS doesn't keep up with crap. Have any of the burger flippers that demand $15 an hour thought about what that does to the dollars we EARNED? I could flip a burger when I was 6 or 7. So burger flippers get a 100% increase in pay and we get 2% if we're lucky? You just relegated every skill your dad ever had and mine, and the rest of us to manning the drive thru. Or are going to double MY pay?

I watched my grandfather go from the strongest man I ever knew to living on crap because he couldn't work. Give them their due. They earned it. And no, I ain't paying for free college education because you think you deserve it because you were born while people are trying to just survive.

Does anyone have a conscience anymore? There are people that eat dog food to survive while fat ass do nothing gets a free Obama phone. And don't get me wrong. I'm not into handouts. I think we should help those that NEED help. Not those that won't get off their asses.

tailfins
03-17-2016, 12:44 PM
We don't know what Trump's tax plan is but we can rest assured that it will be yuuuge and fantastic.

jimnyc
03-17-2016, 12:45 PM
We don't know what Trump's tax plan is but we can rest assured that it will be yuuuge and fantastic.

Why don't you know?

jimnyc
03-17-2016, 12:47 PM
The problem is, as I am sure it is with your dad, we busted our asses. And what do we get? SS doesn't keep up with crap. Have any of the burger flippers that demand $15 an hour thought about what that does to the dollars we EARNED? I could flip a burger when I was 6 or 7. So burger flippers get a 100% increase in pay and we get 2% if we're lucky? You just relegated every skill your dad ever had and mine, and the rest of us to manning the drive thru. Or are going to double MY pay?

I watched my grandfather go from the strongest man I ever knew to living on crap because he couldn't work. Give them their due. They earned it. And no, I ain't paying for free college education because you think you deserve it because you were born while people are trying to just survive.

Does anyone have a conscience anymore? There are people that eat dog food to survive while fat ass do nothing gets a free Obama phone. And don't get me wrong. I'm not into handouts. I think we should help those that NEED help. Not those that won't get off their asses.

You and my Dad would have some great discussions then!! He did bust his ass for the same place for 40 years. And speaking of hate, now he hates Christie, since Dad gets paid from the state of NJ. He looks at it as that he had a contract, and received the same pension for years and years. But then Christie changed things up, and Dad was/is pissed!! He's down in Florida with the rest of the Yankee transplants! :laugh:

jimnyc
03-17-2016, 12:52 PM

Oh, and Btw, why not address issues with Cruz instead of reverting back to Trump? I'm confident we have plenty of threads we can bash Trump in, no?

Gunny
03-17-2016, 01:11 PM
Oh, and Btw, why not address issues with Cruz instead of reverting back to Trump? I'm confident we have plenty of threads we can bash Trump in, no?

Here's an idea: Make an "I Love Trump" thread and an "I Hate Trump" thread and move the crap into the right places. I agree with your comment. I have to look to find something NOT about Trump. Right or wrong, agree or disagree, everything doesn't have to be derailed by him.

For TF .. I don't like Trump. Not a secret for Hitlery to divulge. But if it ain't about him, leave it be. The fact is, you claim to be conservative yet you would rather let some leftwinger run the damned place for another election cycle based on some misguided principle that anyone gives a damn what you think.

Now, back to economics for the blind ....

And just for you, TF, pushing ME -- which you are with your continued sniping -- works like a fart in a whirlwind. Let it fucking go.

jimnyc
03-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Here's an idea: Make an "I Love Trump" thread and an "I Hate Trump" thread and move the crap into the right places. I agree with your comment. I have to look to find something NOT about Trump. Right or wrong, agree or disagree, everything doesn't have to be derailed by him.

For TF .. I don't like Trump. Not a secret for Hitlery to divulge. But if it ain't about him, leave it be. The fact is, you claim to be conservative yet you would rather let some leftwinger run the damned place for another election cycle based on some misguided principle that anyone gives a damn what you think.

Now, back to economics for the blind ....

And just for you, TF, pushing ME -- which you are with your continued sniping -- works like a fart in a whirlwind. Let it fucking go.

I actually thought of that the other day when you said there were too many threads on the subject. I honestly don't have an issue with that, but it doesn't work as easy as one would think. The subject titles and somewhat shorter threads are just actually easier to follow. If you have a thread that is 48 pages long, it gets confusing for some. If someone not following 100% reads something and needs to go back and catch up on something that doesn't make sense to them, they can be there all day reading! Or if you make a few posts, and then are gone for a day, then come back and the thread is an entire different thread! But I see what you mean AND I AGREE WITH YOU, but the fix isn't as easy as it appears. Then I thought ok, what about just a Trump sub-forum and a Cruz sub-forum, now that it's really all that's left. But I think creating something JUST for Trump would wrinkle feathers. I was solely thinking of ways of how we can post the political data, without anyone feeling they are being inundated with something. No easy way, I'm afraid.

I'm all ears for ideas for you guys though. We are currently doing it as we have from the beginning. I'm open to change though.

Gunny
03-17-2016, 02:18 PM
I actually thought of that the other day when you said there were too many threads on the subject. I honestly don't have an issue with that, but it doesn't work as easy as one would think. The subject titles and somewhat shorter threads are just actually easier to follow. If you have a thread that is 48 pages long, it gets confusing for some. If someone not following 100% reads something and needs to go back and catch up on something that doesn't make sense to them, they can be there all day reading! Or if you make a few posts, and then are gone for a day, then come back and the thread is an entire different thread! But I see what you mean AND I AGREE WITH YOU, but the fix isn't as easy as it appears. Then I thought ok, what about just a Trump sub-forum and a Cruz sub-forum, now that it's really all that's left. But I think creating something JUST for Trump would wrinkle feathers. I was solely thinking of ways of how we can post the political data, without anyone feeling they are being inundated with something. No easy way, I'm afraid.

I'm all ears for ideas for you guys though. We are currently doing it as we have from the beginning. I'm open to change though.

I don't disagree. You're preaching to the choir. I got where I hated getting up and logging on because I always had some MF-er in my inbox that thought it was his second home bitching about who was mistreating him that day. I used to be a Company Gunny. Ever try to get 145 retards to throw grenades? You want to talk about some fun. You can explain that SOB 2 bazillion times and you're STILL getting Pvt Pyle. You flip the clip off, pull the pin and throw the damned thing. Too many moving parts there? That's why you're a Pvt and your ass is walking point.

jimnyc
03-17-2016, 02:29 PM
I don't disagree. You're preaching to the choir. I got where I hated getting up and logging on because I always had some MF-er in my inbox that thought it was his second home bitching about who was mistreating him that day. I used to be a Company Gunny. Ever try to get 145 retards to throw grenades? You want to talk about some fun. You can explain that SOB 2 bazillion times and you're STILL getting Pvt Pyle. You flip the clip off, pull the pin and throw the damned thing. Too many moving parts there? That's why you're a Pvt and your ass is walking point.

So instead of separate forums you think I should just blow everyone up instead? :grenade:

Gunny
03-17-2016, 02:36 PM
So instead of separate forums you think I should just blow everyone up instead? :grenade:

Great. Brilliant idea. Just remember I know what to do when a recruit drops a grenade.