PDA

View Full Version : For the doubters

Abbey Marie
03-19-2016, 10:17 AM
Apparently, you do have to be careful what you say...

The U.S. Secret Service is warning Internet users to “watch what you say on social media” about the elected officials and candidates they protect.
The post got the attention of Gary Barry, a Facebook friend.
“I jokingly said, ‘where do I send the bomb?’” Barry told NBC4 Wednesday evening.
His comment didn’t go unnoticed by other people responding to the news that both Democratic presidential candidates were coming to Columbus for a CNN Debate last Sunday.
“The next day I thought about it. But I was like, ‘hey, it’s the Internet. Once it’s out there, it’s out there.’ So I didn’t think no more about it till yesterday,” said Barry.
But it was no laughing matter to the Secret Service. Someone contacted them about the post and an investigation was launched. Two armed agents knocked on Barry’s door ready to talk.
“I received a phone call from my son saying there were two gentlemen at the door from the Secret Service. And I thought he was kidding. But he wasn’t and they actually waited for me to get home,” said Barry.
Barry said the agents questioned him and wife for about thirty minutes. The agents knew everything about him, his family, even his father who was firefighter.
“They were asking me if I was a racist, if I was anti-Muslim. And, do I have any thoughts of suicide or thoughts of assassinating the vice president or president,” said Barry.
NBC4 contacted the United States Secret Service officer here in Columbus. They confirm an ongoing investigation in the comment made by Gary Barry. They also admit to questioning him Tuesday.
Jonathan Schuck, Resident Agent In-Charge, said it is standard procedure for social media threats against the President and presidential candidates. It’s a chargeable offense with a penalty of up to five years in federal prison.
The agents left Barry with some sound advice.
“They said, ‘watch what you say on Facebook.’ And even spread that word as soon as they left,” said Barry.

http://wwlp.com/2016/03/18/secret-service-shows-up-at-columbus-mans-door-after-social-media-comment/

Gunny
03-19-2016, 10:34 AM
I'm not sure where to start on this one. They're Treasury agents. Screw them.
And when you come rolling up to the door in your 1976 Dodge Dart wearing off the rack Sears Roebuck suits and dark glasses you got from the local stop n rob because you think they're cool, you're about as "secret" as the sky.:laugh2:

They're little jackass Gestapo agents that think their guns make them men.

NightTrain
03-19-2016, 02:15 PM
I'm very aware of what I type out on the interwebs and what I text & say on the cell. I've seen a few things that people have typed out and I cringe - I know they're not serious and it's a halfassed joke not meant to be taken seriously, but the robots that auto-flag you and the agents that are asking hard questions at the door don't know that. And they're going to check you out. Most times you won't know you've even been investigated, but if there's even a doubt you'll see this at your front door :

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8640&stc=1

Lots of people have said stuff like "I don't care if they come talk to me!" but I don't think they realize there are real consequences for typing out silly threats. Whether or not it was serious doesn't matter, there's laws against that stuff.

A few years ago we were driving down the highway and my oldest boy was demonstrating Siri to me on his new iPhone, asking her stupid things like "where is a good place to hide bodies?" and it was funny when she responded with a list of nearby swamps. I was about to admonish him about asking his phone such questions, but then he began with "What is the best way to kill O --" and I knocked that phone out of his hand before he could finish. Guarantee there would have been MIB investigating.

Gunny
03-19-2016, 02:40 PM
I'm very aware of what I type out on the interwebs and what I text & say on the cell. I've seen a few things that people have typed out and I cringe - I know they're not serious and it's a halfassed joke not meant to be taken seriously, but the robots that auto-flag you and the agents that are asking hard questions at the door don't know that. And they're going to check you out. Most times you won't know you've even been investigated, but if there's even a doubt you'll see this at your front door :

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8640&stc=1

Lots of people have said stuff like "I don't care if they come talk to me!" but I don't think they realize there are real consequences for typing out silly threats. Whether or not it was serious doesn't matter, there's laws against that stuff.

A few years ago we were driving down the highway and my oldest boy was demonstrating Siri to me on his new iPhone, asking her stupid things like "where is a good place to hide bodies?" and it was funny when she responded with a list of nearby swamps. I was about to admonish him about asking his phone such questions, but then he began with "What is the best way to kill O --" and I knocked that phone out of his hand before he could finish. Guarantee there would have been MIB investigating.

I have honestly been curious about the topic. Now define "threat". Serious question just for discussion: If I say I wish Obama was gone by whatever means, is THAT a threat? I could care less if he chokes on chicken bone. Is that different than me not caring if the guy 4 houses down chokes on a chicken bone?

Our language is being misused against us. Freedom of speech: You can't say what you think but by all means create a bunch of violence in the streets. I don't give a f*ck what these talking heads say. I dealt with them for years. They could probably scare the chihuahua though. That I can't stand so BFD.

WE are letting them take away our Rights.

NightTrain
03-19-2016, 03:10 PM
I have honestly been curious about the topic. Now define "threat". Serious question just for discussion: If I say I wish Obama was gone by whatever means, is THAT a threat? I could care less if he chokes on chicken bone. Is that different than me not caring if the guy 4 houses down chokes on a chicken bone?

Our language is being misused against us. Freedom of speech: You can't say what you think but by all means create a bunch of violence in the streets. I don't give a f*ck what these talking heads say. I dealt with them for years. They could probably scare the chihuahua though. That I can't stand so BFD.

WE are letting them take away our Rights.

I'm pretty sure it comes into play from a personal level, saying you're going to go somewhere - like a rally or speech - and then make a joke about any kind of explosives or some kind of assault. Or you heard someone say something along those lines - MIB will want to know who.

OTOH, saying something like 'drop dead' or 'hope he chokes' isn't. Something actionable that's within the realm of possibilities is what they're looking for.