PDA

View Full Version : Figured it out!!

jimnyc
03-19-2016, 10:24 AM
A got a new motherboard. Then I figured it's not good without some more memory. Then a CPU. It looks much better when it's in a new case with more room to tie down all the cabling. I also got a device to connect all 5 of the internal fans to, which sits in a bay and I can turn the speed up and down when necessary. And of course a DVD burner.

So I'm only in the build stage in the other room. Got most of it together and just running tests before I move on. I turn the sucker on to make sure nothing explodes, the fans turn on, DVD opens and closes... all perfect - except it won't let me power it off!! I had to hit the power switch on my new power supply I installed. But why won't it let me power it off?

I tried for a day and a half, I don't want a computer that I have to turn off in such a manner. Since it was a brand new case, I figured maybe the switch was defective? But I didn't want to give up and I was in no rush, since I got this sucker up and running already. I tried various things I know myself. For the hell of it I took it all apart and put it back together too. No luck. I scoured the internet and no luck. Everyone said replace the switch.

10 cookies to anyone who can tell me what I did to fix the issue, what I FORGOT to do like an idiot the first time around!!

Gunny
03-19-2016, 12:14 PM
A got a new motherboard. Then I figured it's not good without some more memory. Then a CPU. It looks much better when it's in a new case with more room to tie down all the cabling. I also got a device to connect all 5 of the internal fans to, which sits in a bay and I can turn the speed up and down when necessary. And of course a DVD burner.

So I'm only in the build stage in the other room. Got most of it together and just running tests before I move on. I turn the sucker on to make sure nothing explodes, the fans turn on, DVD opens and closes... all perfect - except it won't let me power it off!! I had to hit the power switch on my new power supply I installed. But why won't it let me power it off?

I tried for a day and a half, I don't want a computer that I have to turn off in such a manner. Since it was a brand new case, I figured maybe the switch was defective? But I didn't want to give up and I was in no rush, since I got this sucker up and running already. I tried various things I know myself. For the hell of it I took it all apart and put it back together too. No luck. I scoured the internet and no luck. Everyone said replace the switch.

10 cookies to anyone who can tell me what I did to fix the issue, what I FORGOT to do like an idiot the first time around!!

If you can figure out the configuration on this damned WIFI printer I'll send you two friggin boxes of cookies.

jimnyc
03-19-2016, 12:32 PM
If you can figure out the configuration on this damned WIFI printer I'll send you two friggin boxes of cookies.

Easy if I were there! Do a self test on the printer and find out what IP address your router has assigned it. In your printer setup on your computer, tell it to print to the IP address instead of some stupid name - it's much more reliable. If you need help, gimme the make/model of your printer!

jimnyc
03-19-2016, 12:33 PM

Oh, and I'll hold you to those cookies, I'm a fat bastard!!

Gunny
03-19-2016, 12:48 PM
Easy if I were there! Do a self test on the printer and find out what IP address your router has assigned it. In your printer setup on your computer, tell it to print to the IP address instead of some stupid name - it's much more reliable. If you need help, gimme the make/model of your printer!

That would be the easy way out for you. Women have touched the computer. Figure THAT one out, Einstein. :slap:

jimnyc
03-19-2016, 12:52 PM
That would be the easy way out for you. Women have touched the computer. Figure THAT one out, Einstein. :slap:

When they are away:

1- Search on internet for your model, and how to do a self test -
2 - Search on internet on "How to print to IP address windows X. with X being whatever your OS is.

It's "probably" gonna be the same no matter what. If you definitely have the printer WIFI turned on, and you can get that self test and IP address:

Ensure printer is turned on
Open Control Panel / Device and Printers
Click Add Printer
Select Add Local Printer then click Next
Select create new port, choose Standard TCP/IP from menu, then click Next
Type static IP assigned to printer in Hostname or IP address field
(port name is automatically IP_129.107.X.X where X is defined by static IP)
Check option to Query Printer and Automatically Select Driver then click Next
Click Finish in the Completing TCP/IP window
If driver is not found in list click Have Disk and select Driver when prompted then click OK
Use default name for printer then click Next
Select option to Not Share Printer then click Next
Click Print a Test Page to verify PC will print to printer then click Next
Click Finish in the Completing add printer window

Elessar
03-19-2016, 12:57 PM
You two crack me up!

I am a hammer banger and get lost in techie shit!:laugh:

tailfins
03-19-2016, 01:13 PM
Have you checked the wires? Do you have a multimeter to make sure the wire between the switch and the pins on the motherboard is not defective? Have you also checked that the connector is properly connected to the pins on the motherboard? If it's shifted by one pin or put on backwards, you could get erratic behavior like that. Also, the BIOS could have a bug in it. Have you updated the BIOS to the latest version? One last possibility is that the motherboard itself is defective.

jimnyc
03-19-2016, 01:16 PM
Have you checked the wires? Do you have a multimeter to make sure the wire between the switch and the pins on the motherboard are not defective? Have you also checked that the connector is properly connected to the pins on the motherboard? If it's shifted by one pin or put on backwards, you could get erratic behavior like that. Also, the BIOS could have a bug in it. Have you updated the BIOS to the latest version? One last possibility is that the motherboard itself is defective?

Keep in mind, I solved the problem already.

No multimeter needed. Nothing defective. All connectors were connected and snug. Bios is up to date that I am aware of. Motherboard is not defective.

The ONLY problem was turning the machine OFF. I could turn it on, but the switch would not turn it off. So think along the lines of a circuit going to turn things on and off...

NightTrain
03-19-2016, 02:01 PM
Keep in mind, I solved the problem already.

No multimeter needed. Nothing defective. All connectors were connected and snug. Bios is up to date that I am aware of. Motherboard is not defective.

The ONLY problem was turning the machine OFF. I could turn it on, but the switch would not turn it off. So think along the lines of a circuit going to turn things on and off...

You didn't have the switch grounded to the chassis.

jimnyc
03-19-2016, 02:15 PM
You didn't have the switch grounded to the chassis.

Getting closer. But think about it, what case is going to have you ground it in such a manner anyway. You can see why this drove me nuts. So I just went through the entire process in my head like 20x. So think of anything at all when building your own computer, perhaps that could lead to some sort of grounding issue. :)

NightTrain
03-19-2016, 02:18 PM
Getting closer. But think about it, what case is going to have you ground it in such a manner anyway. You can see why this drove me nuts. So I just went through the entire process in my head like 20x. So think of anything at all when building your own computer, perhaps that could lead to some sort of grounding issue. :)

By not having all the components installed, the chassis wasn't completing the circuits for your various components!

jimnyc
03-19-2016, 02:19 PM
By not having all the components installed, the chassis wasn't completing the circuits for your various components!

Nope, you went a little cold.

Power switch cable goes to motherboard...

aboutime
03-19-2016, 02:24 PM
Not certain without being able to see what you hooked up, and where. But my guess would be, one of the three prong plugs (if there are three, or four) is giving power to the wrong device.

I would remove all connections of the cables, and restart making sure the proper ones are in place.

Otherwise. Somebody else gets the cookies.:laugh:

Gunny
03-19-2016, 02:24 PM
You two crack me up!

I am a hammer banger and get lost in techie shit!:laugh:

Dude, I'm a retired marine and commercial electrician. I understand the techie shit right until a girl gets her hands on the computer. I'm surprised they can even boil water. :laugh:

jimnyc
03-19-2016, 02:27 PM
Not certain without being able to see what you hooked up, and where. But my guess would be, one of the three prong plugs (if there are three, or four) is giving power to the wrong device.

I would remove all connections of the cables, and restart making sure the proper ones are in place.

Otherwise. Somebody else gets the cookies.:laugh:

Not the plug, but it was something to do with grounding...

jimnyc
03-19-2016, 02:31 PM
Alright, it was only a mistake of mine, so no one may ever guess.

When you install a new motherboard into a new case, the first thing you do is place down the spacers. These are weird little screws that go into the case. Now when you screw the motherboard down to these spacers, it leaves a distance between the motherboard and the case. Me being in such a rush, I just slapped it down on the case and screwed it in. The motherboard had a short somewhere and that was giving the switch an issue. Before I even did anything, I just shoved some static bags underneath the board to lift it a little, just to see if this was the issue. I knew I had to take it apart to put the spacers in, but did I need a switch too? Sure enough, the switch turns on and off now, and I already put the spacers in and got most put together.

I also put in 2 new SSD drives which should hopefully be much faster, and quieter.

To me :slap:

aboutime
03-19-2016, 02:32 PM

Jim. Did you replace the washer on the grounding screw? That's supposed to be insulated to prevent shorting. Guessing again.

TRY "Restart" instead of shutdown.

jimnyc
03-19-2016, 02:33 PM
Jim. Did you replace the washer on the grounding screw? That's supposed to be insulated to prevent shorting. Guessing again.

You were still on target with grounding, but read above, it was just my amateur mistake. :(

Gunny
03-19-2016, 02:42 PM

Your motherboard wasn't grounded?

NightTrain
03-19-2016, 03:01 PM
Your motherboard is isolated with those screws... you're lucky you didn't blow that baby up!

A coworker of mine did kind of the same thing on an LTE install down in Valdez... that was a $25,000 mistake when the CPU card smoked. That one was written up as 'failed out of the box'. :whistling2:

jimnyc
03-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Your motherboard wasn't grounded?

Your motherboard is isolated with those screws... you're lucky you didn't blow that baby up!

A coworker of mine did kind of the same thing on an LTE install down in Valdez... that was a $25,000 mistake when the CPU card smoked. That one was written up as 'failed out of the box'. :whistling2:

Yeps, got lucky. Like I said, when you buy the stuff that should be STEP NUMBER ONE!! Most cases now have raised areas on the case where the screws go, just for schmucks like me, so just in case you forget, you still have a fighting chance!!

Back in the good old days, I was working on various NEW pc's that had come in, like 200 of them for the law firm. Doing some swaps, I put the power going to the motherboard on backwards. Yes, back then the cable would go on either way, you can't make that mistake today. Well you know how that ends, with the power coming on, a small snapping noise and some smoke rising from the MB.

jimnyc
03-19-2016, 03:19 PM
And fwiw, once you install these spacers, and then properly screw your motherboard on top of them, that's how you are in fact grounding the motherboard. :thumb:

tailfins
03-19-2016, 08:28 PM
And fwiw, once you install these spacers, and then properly screw your motherboard on top of them, that's how you are in fact grounding the motherboard. :thumb:

Once warned is twice wise. Thanks for the reminder.

Kathianne
03-19-2016, 08:44 PM

Hey you! ;) I figured out how to print with the wi-fi! I'm not techie and am obviously a girl. Of course I ran the wizard on the printer-I did have the IP and the password for modem.

NightTrain
03-20-2016, 07:12 AM
Hey you! ;) I figured out how to print with the wi-fi! I'm not techie and am obviously a girl. Of course I ran the wizard on the printer-I did have the IP and the password for modem.

Oh snap!

...and the gauntlet was thrown.

Gunny
03-20-2016, 08:31 AM

Yeps, got lucky. Like I said, when you buy the stuff that should be STEP NUMBER ONE!! Most cases now have raised areas on the case where the screws go, just for schmucks like me, so just in case you forget, you still have a fighting chance!!

Back in the good old days, I was working on various NEW pc's that had come in, like 200 of them for the law firm. Doing some swaps, I put the power going to the motherboard on backwards. Yes, back then the cable would go on either way, you can't make that mistake today. Well you know how that ends, with the power coming on, a small snapping noise and some smoke rising from the MB.

Here's some trivia: You ground a PC to its case. But what is it grounded to? If you live in a pre-80's house, like as not, your electrical service isn't even grounded. They used to use aluminum wire and they used the neutral as both the return and the ground. If your electrical service isn't grounded, you're screwed, In so many words. Somewhere, that actually has to go to ground. Per NEC code, it's at the first service entrance to the house.

Food for thought. You might not be as safe as you think. And it STILL ain't making my printer work.

Jeff
03-20-2016, 08:39 AM
Alright, it was only a mistake of mine, so no one may ever guess.

When you install a new motherboard into a new case, the first thing you do is place down the spacers. These are weird little screws that go into the case. Now when you screw the motherboard down to these spacers, it leaves a distance between the motherboard and the case. Me being in such a rush, I just slapped it down on the case and screwed it in. The motherboard had a short somewhere and that was giving the switch an issue. Before I even did anything, I just shoved some static bags underneath the board to lift it a little, just to see if this was the issue. I knew I had to take it apart to put the spacers in, but did I need a switch too? Sure enough, the switch turns on and off now, and I already put the spacers in and got most put together.

I also put in 2 new SSD drives which should hopefully be much faster, and quieter.

To me :slap:

I was just about to guess that Jim, hell ya had to rush to give the answer, Dam I would of won. :laugh:

jimnyc
03-20-2016, 08:41 AM
Here's some trivia: You ground a PC to its case. But what is it grounded to? If you live in a pre-80's house, like as not, your electrical service isn't even grounded. They used to use aluminum wire and they used the neutral as both the return and the ground. If your electrical service isn't grounded, you're screwed, In so many words. Somewhere, that actually has to go to ground. Per NEC code, it's at the first service entrance to the house.

Food for thought. You might not be as safe as you think. And it STILL ain't making my printer work.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?54485-Figured-it-out!!&p=806196#post806196
http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?54485-Figured-it-out!!&p=806201#post806201

And I know you're just ignoring these, you stubborn headed leatherneck!

jimnyc
03-20-2016, 08:42 AM
I was just about to guess that Jim, hell ya had to rush to give the answer, Dam I would of won. :laugh:

I'm staying at Janeen's house for a week starting day after Easter, I'll bake you some great cookies and ship them to you! :)

Jeff
03-20-2016, 08:48 AM
I'm staying at Janeen's house for a week starting day after Easter, I'll bake you some great cookies and ship them to you! :)

You dog sitting ??? Or just a short Vaca ??

Gunny
03-20-2016, 08:51 AM

You banned her and she lets you stay at her house? I'd be waiting for your a$$ with a 12 gauge.

jimnyc
03-20-2016, 08:53 AM
You dog sitting ??? Or just a short Vaca ??

Oh man, I got suckered into this one. The entire family there is going to St. Maarten. I am dog watching, cats watching, guinea pig watching, Jared watching and ensuring the landlord doesn't get into the house. I'm staying at the hotel though, so it'll be a juggling act.

jimnyc
03-20-2016, 08:54 AM
You banned her and she lets you stay at her house? I'd be waiting for your a$$ with a 12 gauge.

I let her back though!! :laugh:

Beggars can't be choosers! :) Watched her house last time too when they went to Wildwood. I'm a good house sitter. The neighbors there like me, as I'm actually very quiet, and ALL the noise and trouble leaves with them when they go!

Jeff
03-20-2016, 08:58 AM
Oh man, I got suckered into this one. The entire family there is going to St. Maarten. I am dog watching, cats watching, guinea pig watching, Jared watching and ensuring the landlord doesn't get into the house. I'm staying at the hotel though, so it'll be a juggling act.

Dang good luck with all that. :laugh:

Gunny
03-20-2016, 09:01 AM

Beggars can't be choosers! :) Watched her house last time too when they went to Wildwood. I'm a good house sitter. The neighbors there like me, as I'm actually very quiet, and ALL the noise and trouble leaves with them when they go!

Dang good luck with all that. :laugh:

Sorry. LMFAO. Dumbass. :laugh2:

Gunny
03-20-2016, 09:07 AM
So they're all going to the Bahamas and you're watching their dogs?:laugh2::laugh2:

jimnyc
03-20-2016, 09:12 AM
So they're all going to the Bahamas and you're watching their dogs?:laugh2::laugh2:

Basically, yep. The dog, 3 cats, changing litter, feeding the little bastards, the little piggies. Oh, and almost forgot the bearded dragon too! And they're fighting with the landlord, so gotta make sure that bastard doesn't come into the house. And no way I stay there, so I'm at the Marriott about 3 or 4 miles away. My ass sleeps in comfort with air conditioning. :)

Gunny
03-20-2016, 09:15 AM
Basically, yep. The dog, 3 cats, changing litter, feeding the little bastards, the little piggies. Oh, and almost forgot the bearded dragon too! And they're fighting with the landlord, so gotta make sure that bastard doesn't come into the house. And no way I stay there, so I'm at the Marriott about 3 or 4 miles away. My ass sleeps in comfort with air conditioning. :)

Ain't no way anyone's going to the Bahamas without me. But I hear ya. Got 3 dogs, 5 cats and a stray here. Seems all I do is clean litter boxes and feed little destructive monsters.

NightTrain
03-20-2016, 09:21 AM

Wait a minute.... the landlord goes into their house while they're away? wtf?

jimnyc
03-20-2016, 09:30 AM
Wait a minute.... the landlord goes into their house while they're away? wtf?

Not really like that, but similar. They're no angels either. But there have been repeated issues with things in the house, and the landlord always tries to fix it himself, and it's downright hilarious the way he fixes things! Anything the save a penny. And he almost always refuses to get a professional in there. We're talking toilet issues, sink issues, leak issues, flooding in basement. In return, Janeen is kind enough to call the authorities on them for inspections, and I don't blame her. Then this guy just tells them they need to leave! LOL That's not how you evict, and you need a reason to evict in NJ, not just that they called the health department on you. But yes, this guy has came into the house unannounced many times. The basement has a small storage area cordoned off and locked, which is his, and he seems to think that gives him authority to enter whenever he pleases. The landlords are a middle aged Chinese couple, a very, very cheap couple. So Janeen and hubby cost them money. That's a part of being a landlord though, and these things aren't stuff they broke, it's just crappy things that went bad over time.

NightTrain
03-20-2016, 09:44 AM
There is no way in hell I'd put up with a landlord going into my residence unless it was an emergency. There'd be a Come-to-Jesus meeting as soon as I found out.

Did you see that landlord in NYC getting caught going into a woman's apartment when she was gone and she caught him on hidden camera sniffing her panties? I don't know what kind of laws there are there about landlords going in tenant's homes like that, but it's common decency not to do that... nevermind the sniffing of panties thing.

Elessar
03-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Dude, I'm a retired marine and commercial electrician. I understand the techie shit right until a girl gets her hands on the computer. I'm surprised they can even boil water. :laugh:

That's awful! One of my very best friends is a lady techie! She is helpful
and makes me look like an idiot with computer stuff (which I am in some ways)!:laugh:

Elessar
03-20-2016, 12:19 PM

Wildwood NJ? We used to call it Childwood...I worked near Avalon and in Cape May for quite a while

Gunny
03-20-2016, 04:27 PM
and makes me look like an idiot with computer stuff (which I am in some ways)!:laugh:

I just thought it sounded funny. Hell, if I didn't like girls I wouldn't know what to do with most of my miserable moments since about 72.

But women do that shit to you. You spend hours trying to solve a problem and they come up with "Well, why don't you hook that up to the other thingybobber?" Thanks. Shoot me now. After you STFU. I'm the mechanical genius around here, dammit. :laugh2:

Payback is you should see them trying to put water in the radiator. :rofl1:

jimnyc
03-20-2016, 04:53 PM
Wildwood NJ? We used to call it Childwood...I worked near Avalon and in Cape May for quite a while

Yessir! I grew up in NJ and have only been there like twice I think, maybe 3 times. It was too damn far south from central NJ and I didn't think it was all that great. No need to go past Belmar, Keansburg or Seaside! Why "Childwood"? Too many kids? That's what I remember, it was too damn crowded.

jimnyc
03-20-2016, 05:00 PM

I just thought it sounded funny. Hell, if I didn't like girls I wouldn't know what to do with most of my miserable moments since about 72.

But women do that shit to you. You spend hours trying to solve a problem and they come up with "Well, why don't you hook that up to the other thingybobber?" Thanks. Shoot me now. After you STFU. I'm the mechanical genius around here, dammit. :laugh2:

Payback is you should see them trying to put water in the radiator. :rofl1:

I gotta say this quietly, in case my wife peeks online and sees this. She wants to act at times like she knows the techie stuff, and I bite my own tongue and lips until they bleed to keep from laughing. I know she means well. But I hate when there is an issue, say with connection the DirecTV to the WIFI, and I'm already on it for about an hour, and can't figure it out -and she comes walking in and starts tossing out idea after idea like I'm an idiot.

When I was putting that computer together, and couldn't figure out why the switch wouldn't turn the computer off. Women are different. INSTANTLY she went to "return EVERYTHING and start over". I was like WTF? You need to troubleshoot woman!! She saw me put in the DVD burner earlier, so she starts asking about whether or not that could be causing the issue. Now mind you, I had installed it at that point, but installed neither the SATA cable nor the power. :slap:

Gunny
03-20-2016, 05:01 PM
Yessir! I grew up in NJ and have only been there like twice I think, maybe 3 times. It was too damn far south from central NJ and I didn't think it was all that great. No need to go past Belmar, Keansburg or Seaside! Why "Childwood"? Too many kids? That's what I remember, it was too damn crowded.

Okay. Talk about thread kill. Y'all are bragging about growing up in NJ? :hanging:

tailfins
03-20-2016, 05:07 PM
Not really like that, but similar. They're no angels either. But there have been repeated issues with things in the house, and the landlord always tries to fix it himself, and it's downright hilarious the way he fixes things! Anything the save a penny. And he almost always refuses to get a professional in there. We're talking toilet issues, sink issues, leak issues, flooding in basement. In return, Janeen is kind enough to call the authorities on them for inspections, and I don't blame her. Then this guy just tells them they need to leave! LOL That's not how you evict, and you need a reason to evict in NJ, not just that they called the health department on you. But yes, this guy has came into the house unannounced many times. The basement has a small storage area cordoned off and locked, which is his, and he seems to think that gives him authority to enter whenever he pleases. The landlords are a middle aged Chinese couple, a very, very cheap couple. So Janeen and hubby cost them money. That's a part of being a landlord though, and these things aren't stuff they broke, it's just crappy things that went bad over time.

To put up with all that crap, the rent had better be waaaaay under market. That's the main reason I had to get out of the I-95 corridor (VA to ME). Any housing that met my standards was $3000+ per month. I even tried the live in NH and work in MA dodge, and even that wasn't so good. I have stayed in places that the landlord used for storage, but used that as a negotiating point for lower rent given that I wasn't being given "full use" of the property. If the rapport has fallen to health department complaints, they may as well push for rent abatement for the days the premises are deemed inhabitable. It looks like there's no goodwill left, so there's nothing to lose by squeezing every nickel possible out of the situation.

I once had a landlord that thought because he was an attorney that he could treat people any way he wanted. The solution to that was obvious. I filed a complaint with a useless state consumer affairs department. I actually did that as a trap. I'm sure he knew that agency was toothless. I was hoping to use that to bolster a planned ethics complaint with the Florida Bar if he had made a false statement to them. I also used a reference checking company to see if he would make false disparaging remarks against me. He didn't fall for either trap, but knew I was about to file an ethics complaint with the Florida Bar. He finally gave me every penny of my deposit back with an angry condescending letter.

jimnyc
03-20-2016, 05:11 PM
Okay. Talk about thread kill. Y'all are bragging about growing up in NJ? :hanging:

Hey, don't knock the tri-State area, it was pretty cool. Jersey has a lot more to offer than a lot of other places. Believe it or not, there are more parks in NJ than in just about any state in the nation. Lots of families. There's just a 50 square mile are in the north east portion that is kinda gross, you just have to ignore that area and drive through. On any given day it was easy to be in Pennsylvania, Delaware, New York, Connecticut, Maryland and even NoVa. We have the mafia, Jimmy Hoffa contest to find his buried body, the crappy NY Giants and Jets, Great Adventure, Atlantic City & a whole lot of memories of things that cannot ever be spoken about!! :laugh:

Gunny
03-20-2016, 05:14 PM
To put up with all that crap, the rent had better be waaaaay under market. That's the main reason I had to get out of the I-95 corridor (VA to ME). Any housing that met my standards was $3000+ per month. I even tried the live in NH and work in MA dodge, and even that wasn't so good. I have stayed in places that the landlord used for storage, but used that as a negotiating point for lower rent given that I wasn't being given "full use" of the property. If the rapport has fallen to health department complaints, they may as well push for rent abatement for the days the premises are deemed inhabitable. It looks like there's no goodwill left, so there's nothing to lose by squeezing every nickel possible out of the situation.

I once had a landlord that thought because he was an attorney that he could treat people any way he wanted. The solution to that was obvious. I filed a complaint with a useless state consumer affairs department. I actually did that as a trap. I'm sure he knew that agency was toothless. I was hoping to use that to bolster a planned ethics complaint with the Florida Bar if he had made a false statement to them. I also used a reference checking company to see if he would make false disparaging remarks against me. He didn't fall for either trap, but knew I was about to file an ethics complaint with the Florida Bar. He finally gave me every penny of my deposit back with an angry condescending letter.

I hate to be my usual non-sarcastic self, but the landlord has the right to walk in when and where ever they please anywhere I have ever lived. Oh, and you'd have been just screwed in FL.

jimnyc
03-20-2016, 05:19 PM

When I say they aren't angels, I mean that they are often behind on their rent, and then they push the issue the more these people refuse to properly fix things, and then my brother in law ends up fixing most of it himself, or using rent money to hire someone.

The rent is lower than average, but you get what you pay for!! Try the prices in NYC or in Westchester where I'm at. It makes so much more sense to buy outright and at least make a profit at the end. 1 bedrooms in the tri state can go anywhere from 750 in some places, all the way up to like 2k for really really nice places, up to like 3k for rental homes and very large 2 bedroom apartments. But even though you're living in a comfy place, after 15 years you ain't got shit to show for it. I can't wait to get outta dodge in like 7-10 years at the very latest. We'll have paid a lot, but at least when I move we will have some money ready.

But as to landlords, one needs to know the laws for which they live in REAL well. It can get real tricky. My last landlord refused to give our deposit back, and had also never placed our deposit in a separate account. First I won that in small claims - NOTHING they said matters after that and they have no claim in NY. Then they wouldn't pay, and wanted to refile on me in my city. We had a friend, who was an attorney, freeze their bank accounts. They called that evening to settle. :)

jimnyc
03-20-2016, 05:20 PM
I hate to be my usual non-sarcastic self, but the landlord has the right to walk in when and where ever they please anywhere I have ever lived. Oh, and you'd have been just screwed in FL.

NY/NJ they must give 24 hours notice, unless it's an emergency entrance, like a flood into a neighboring apartment, police issue or something else that cannot wait.

tailfins
03-20-2016, 05:22 PM

I have Florida landlord-tenant law darn near memorized. However, the rapport with my landlord here in Texas is just the opposite. He lives on the West coast and within reason, I do everything I can to prevent anything that might cause him grief. Furthermore, I pay below market rent for an impressive property in a great city. I don't want to own because I hope to move to Austin after my sons graduate high school. The corporate culture in D/FW is too short-term profit focused where Austin's is more intellectually focused.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0000-0099/0083/Sections/0083.53.html

<tbody>
The 2015 Florida Statutes
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Images/dividers/600x3_gradient.gif

<tbody>

<tbody>
<center>Title VI (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Index&Title_Request=VI#TitleVI)
CIVIL PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE</center>
<center>Chapter 83 (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0000-0099/0083/0083ContentsIndex.html)
LANDLORD AND TENANT</center>
<center>View Entire Chapter (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0000-0099/0083/0083.html)</center>

</tbody>

83.53 Landlord’s access to dwelling unit.—(1) The tenant shall not unreasonably withhold consent to the landlord to enter the dwelling unit from time to time in order to inspect the premises; make necessary or agreed repairs, decorations, alterations, or improvements; supply agreed services; or exhibit the dwelling unit to prospective or actual purchasers, mortgagees, tenants, workers, or contractors.
(2) The landlord may enter the dwelling unit at any time for the protection or preservation of the premises. The landlord may enter the dwelling unit upon reasonable notice to the tenant and at a reasonable time for the purpose of repair of the premises. “Reasonable notice” for the purpose of repair is notice given at least 12 hours prior to the entry, and reasonable time for the purpose of repair shall be between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. The landlord may enter the dwelling unit when necessary for the further purposes set forth in subsection (1) under any of the following circumstances:(a) With the consent of the tenant;
(b) In case of emergency;
(c) When the tenant unreasonably withholds consent; or
(d) If the tenant is absent from the premises for a period of time equal to one-half the time for periodic rental payments. If the rent is current and the tenant notifies the landlord of an intended absence, then the landlord may enter only with the consent of the tenant or for the protection or preservation of the premises.

(3) The landlord shall not abuse the right of access nor use it to harass the tenant.
History.—s. 2, ch. 73-330; s. 5, ch. 87-195; s. 4, ch. 93-255; s. 446, ch. 95-147.

</tbody>

</tbody>

jimnyc
03-20-2016, 05:26 PM
Yes, I should have stated it was something spelled out in any lease - but cannot override state law. Landlord/Tenant law can be drastically different from state to state.

Gunny
03-20-2016, 05:27 PM
I have Florida landlord-tenant law darn near memorized.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0000-0099/0083/Sections/0083.53.html

Sure. Now define "harassment" and "right of access" in a FL court. Trust me. Me and the FL judicial system go back a ways and have an intimate relationship. :laugh:

jimnyc
03-20-2016, 05:30 PM
Sure. Now define "harassment" and "right of access" in a FL court. Trust me. Me and the FL judicial system go back a ways and have an intimate relationship. :laugh:

Some states are what they call "tenant friendly" and others are "landlord friendly".

Look at NJ. These nitwits where they rent to my sister have limited options to get them out, even though the original lease ended and they have been on a month to month lease for a very long time now. They need a "reason" to get rid of you. That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard, but it's true!

tailfins
03-20-2016, 05:35 PM

It says 12 hours notice right there in black and white. I never had to test your premise because the threat of filing an ethics complaint against my ex-landlord with the Florida Bar seemed to make him back off. The Florida Bar prohibits attorneys from having dealings that would reflect poorly on the legal profession. That landlord falsely accused me of having a cat and tried to charge me a penalty. I had a pet damage remediation company come in and certify there were no signs of a pet having been on the premises.

Some states are what they call "tenant friendly" and others are "landlord friendly".

Look at NJ. These nitwits where they rent to my sister have limited options to get them out, even though the original lease ended and they have been on a month to month lease for a very long time now. They need a "reason" to get rid of you. That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard, but it's true!

It's surprising, but New Hampshire has the same provision.

http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/sourcebook/renting.htm

Gunny
03-20-2016, 05:46 PM
It says 12 hours notice right there in black and white. I never had to test your premise because the threat of filing an ethics complaint against my ex-landlord with the Florida Bar seemed to make him back off. The Florida Bar prohibits attorneys from having dealings that would reflect poorly on the legal profession. That landlord falsely accused me of having a cat and tried to charge me a penalty. I had a pet damage remediation company come in and certify there were no signs of a pet having been on the premises.

I'm not saying you were wrong. I've had dealings with the goofiest landlords in the world and only some of them spoke English. Should try an Okinawan landlord on for size. He backed off because he had no grounds. That's quite obvious from what you are saying.

You get caught up in the FL judicial system though and it's all about the $ to them. And landlords usually get away with with their crap. Think about it .. he's a landlord and you're a lowly renter. Most people that rent can't afford the legal fees.

I got into it in Woodbridge, VA with our landlord and he only backed off when I threatened to have Base Housing Authority inspect the dwelling. You get put on BHA's shit list and you're blackballed from any military references to your properties.

tailfins
03-20-2016, 05:54 PM
I'm not saying you were wrong. I've had dealings with the goofiest landlords in the world and only some of them spoke English. Should try an Okinawan landlord on for size. He backed off because he had no grounds. That's quite obvious from what you are saying.

You get caught up in the FL judicial system though and it's all about the $ to them. And landlords usually get away with with their crap. Think about it .. he's a landlord and you're a lowly renter. Most people that rent can't afford the legal fees.

I got into it in Woodbridge, VA with our landlord and he only backed off when I threatened to have Base Housing Authority inspect the dwelling. You get put on BHA's shit list and you're blackballed from any military references to your properties.

As you have demonstrated it's all about finding your adversary's point of weakness. I knew the last thing I wanted was to be in court against an attorney, so I hit him at his weakest point: His professional reputation.

Gunny
03-20-2016, 06:18 PM
As you have demonstrated it's all about finding your adversary's point of weakness. I knew the last thing I wanted was to be in court against an attorney, so I hit him at his weakest point: His professional reputation.

Can't fault you on that.

jimnyc
03-21-2016, 05:14 AM
The last question will be whether or not I have enough room in my new computer. I didn't want to spend a fortune on a new master drive, but I did want the extra speed of a SSD drive, so the master will be a 240g Samsung SSD. I will also pop in my other SSD drive which I believe is 128g. I also now have 2 - 1 terabyte SATA drives, and 1 - 500g drive. So 4 drives in total, for a total of of like 2.5 terabytes.

I never had a small drive like this as a mast drive, and am afraid of what happens if it starts running out of space. When installing any problem, I have to remember to rename the installation from C: to the D: or E: and I should be fine.

Who else is running a small SSD as their master drive? What size? How long have you been using it and how much space do you have left now?

Jeff
03-21-2016, 07:00 AM

Hell Prick banned me :dev3:

Can you imagine that, as well behaved as I am and I received a 24 hour ban for doing nothing more than offering Maineman help on teaching him how to treat his wife :laugh: I think the details got me. :laugh:

Jeff
03-21-2016, 07:19 AM

I was there once. we rented a house but once the landlord seen us he gave us our deposit back, he blamed it on we had females with us and said he wouldn't tolerate that. I believe it was do to the fact that in Wildwood they rent from Sunday to Saturday, my friends and I being the adventurous type left Friday night and went to Lafayette the first night (had a friend living there for the summer) damned if I didn't get a ticket for drinking in public Friday night on the beach at like 4 in the morning, so we went on to Seaside Saturday night and yup, I got another ticket, so yea I figure it wasn't the girls we had picked up but probably cause we had already been drunk for 2 day and I am sure we looked rough.

So we found a apartment type place that allowed us to rent a small apartment, by this time the girls got boring so we left them at the boardwalk. Well I found out the hard way Wildwood has basically 2 sides of town, a dry side and a club side, guess what side our apartment was in, yup Sunday night I was pulled over the rail of our balcony and arrested for drinking in public, and hell I wound up getting arrested every night that week for drinking in public (still can't figure out how drinking a can of beer at 4 am when no one is around is in public) so you guessed it, no more vacations to Wildwood, to dam expensive. :laugh:

Jeff
03-21-2016, 07:33 AM
When I say they aren't angels, I mean that they are often behind on their rent, and then they push the issue the more these people refuse to properly fix things, and then my brother in law ends up fixing most of it himself, or using rent money to hire someone.

The rent is lower than average, but you get what you pay for!! Try the prices in NYC or in Westchester where I'm at. It makes so much more sense to buy outright and at least make a profit at the end. 1 bedrooms in the tri state can go anywhere from 750 in some places, all the way up to like 2k for really really nice places, up to like 3k for rental homes and very large 2 bedroom apartments. But even though you're living in a comfy place, after 15 years you ain't got shit to show for it. I can't wait to get outta dodge in like 7-10 years at the very latest. We'll have paid a lot, but at least when I move we will have some money ready.

But as to landlords, one needs to know the laws for which they live in REAL well. It can get real tricky. My last landlord refused to give our deposit back, and had also never placed our deposit in a separate account. First I won that in small claims - NOTHING they said matters after that and they have no claim in NY. Then they wouldn't pay, and wanted to refile on me in my city. We had a friend, who was an attorney, freeze their bank accounts. They called that evening to settle. :)

Move south young man and don't wait 7-10. You can buy a beautiful home down here on a few acres of land for under $200 grand, or go the route Travis (my son) did and buy land and then build on it, he bought 12 acres and will build a 4 bedroom 3 bath house with a basement (most houses down here don't have basements) and he will be into it for less than the 200 grand, his father in law bought a couple of acres from him and is building already. It isn't for me, it's in a subdivision, but each lot is 2 acres or so, But I like to walk out on the front porch and see nothing but tree's and the occasional wild critter running through the woods.

As for rentals down here you can still rent a nice house for 5 or $600 a month, and yes the landlord has to give 24 hour notice (unless like you said there is a emergency) but down here the landlord has the upper hand. If ya don't pay your rent you can legally be thrown out within 3 weeks, and if you haven't moved out they put all your belongings at the curb (the wife is a property manager so I have seen it done many times ) It's against the law to go through the stuff but heck 15 minutes after the eviction crew and sheriff leaves the place is picked clean, a free yard sale. :laugh: