PDA

View Full Version : New poll shows Ted Cruz with a big lead in Utah

tailfins
03-19-2016, 08:29 PM
http://www.sltrib.com/news/3683983-155/new-poll-shows-ted-cruz-with

The Y2 Analytics survey shows Cruz with 53 percent support among likely Republican caucus-goes and if that matches Tuesday's caucus vote, he'd win all of the state's 40 GOP delegates.
Coming in second is Ohio Gov. John Kasich with 29 percent, while Trump, the national front-runner, was a distant third at 11 percent.

jimnyc
03-20-2016, 08:47 PM
He may very well win Utah. But he has about zero chance of winning the nomination. He needs to win 80% of what is left. Trump has dominating leads in California and New York. That's 268 delegates right there. Trump has a 52% lead in New York. A 16% lead in California. Granted, they are early polls. He has the leads in the big states that matter going forward. He either gets the 1237 or he will be not too too far away. He will definitely have a LOT more than those left, if they both go the distance. All that will be left is some craziness to happen at the convention. It's been nearly 70 years since someone didn't get the 1237 AND then things went past the first ballot voting.

I don't see it happening. But if it does, like I said previously - the election goes to Hillary, they nominate a liberal SC justice, and the GOP gets fractured WAY more than the talk leading up to where we are now with Trump.

tailfins
03-20-2016, 09:53 PM
He may very well win Utah. But he has about zero chance of winning the nomination. He needs to win 80% of what is left. Trump has dominating leads in California and New York. That's 268 delegates right there. Trump has a 52% lead in New York. A 16% lead in California. Granted, they are early polls. He has the leads in the big states that matter going forward. He either gets the 1237 or he will be not too too far away. He will definitely have a LOT more than those left, if they both go the distance. All that will be left is some craziness to happen at the convention. It's been nearly 70 years since someone didn't get the 1237 AND then things went past the first ballot voting.

I don't see it happening. But if it does, like I said previously - the election goes to Hillary, they nominate a liberal SC justice, and the GOP gets fractured WAY more than the talk leading up to where we are now with Trump.

If the shoe is on the other foot, the only thing I can think of that will bring most Cruz supporters over is a public announcement that Trump will nominate Cruz to Scalia's spot on the Supreme Court and fight for his nomination in the Senate, including a commitment from McConnell to use the "nuclear option" if necessary.

jimnyc
03-20-2016, 10:03 PM
If the shoe is on the other foot, the only thing I can think of that will bring most Cruz supporters over is a public announcement that Trump will nominate Cruz to Scalia's spot on the Supreme Court and fight for his nomination in the Senate, including a commitment from McConnell to use the "nuclear option" if necessary.

How about just a spot in his cabinet somewhere? I don't think he'll go with the SC thing to be honest. It's always bribing when you get someone's vote and backing for their endorsement, but it REALLY feels like bribery if it's for the supreme court. What about attorney general?

And not just because Trump is the front runner choice for me - but I think anything short of giving him the nomination if things continue as they are, is handing Hillary the WH and the next judge to the left. They would all need to get behind him, make buddies and make nice all the way after the convention, whether they truly love one another or not. Unless Hillary gets indicted, she's going to be VERY hard to beat. For whatever reason, this witch has a lot of folks hoodwinked around the country.

If Hillary gets indicted, the closer to the general the better, well now that changes the picture entirely.

tailfins
03-20-2016, 10:14 PM
How about just a spot in his cabinet somewhere? I don't think he'll go with the SC thing to be honest. It's always bribing when you get someone's vote and backing for their endorsement, but it REALLY feels like bribery if it's for the supreme court. What about attorney general?

And not just because Trump is the front runner choice for me - but I think anything short of giving him the nomination if things continue as they are, is handing Hillary the WH and the next judge to the left. They would all need to get behind him, make buddies and make nice all the way after the convention, whether they truly love one another or not. Unless Hillary gets indicted, she's going to be VERY hard to beat. For whatever reason, this witch has a lot of folks hoodwinked around the country.

If Hillary gets indicted, the closer to the general the better, well now that changes the picture entirely.

From what I have read on pro-Cruz sites, the expectation is that Trump would be a failed candidate, and if by dumb luck he wins, a failed President. Anyone who is part of a Trump administration would be stained by his failure. A nomination to the Supreme Court means not being part of a Trump administration. It wouldn't have to be quid pro quo. Trump could act unilaterally and say "a vote for Trump is a vote for Cruz on the Supreme Court".