PDA

View Full Version : Paxil

jimnyc
01-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Anyone else know any experiences with Paxil? I've been on it for about 3 years now but I'm unsure if I like it. I don't like any medication that makes you too dependent. Been out for about 2 days now and I'm getting buzzing vibrations in my head and becoming pretty irrational at times. Trying to get an emergency appt. for tomorrow at a local walk-in clinic to hopefully get a refill. This happens to me all the time, same symptoms, and always waiting until I'm empty for awhile and feeling like shit before I do anything about it.

Did I mention one of the side effects of Paxil is complacency?

CockySOB
01-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Anyone else know any experiences with Paxil? I've been on it for about 3 years now but I'm unsure if I like it. I don't like any medication that makes you too dependent. Been out for about 2 days now and I'm getting buzzing vibrations in my head and becoming pretty irrational at times. Trying to get an emergency appt. for tomorrow at a local walk-in clinic to hopefully get a refill. This happens to me all the time, same symptoms, and always waiting until I'm empty for awhile and feeling like shit before I do anything about it.

Two questions.
1) Are you on Paxil or Paxil-CR? If you're not on the time-release CR, get on it now! That helped me immensely.
2) What other medications are you on.

I was on Paxil and Depakote for quite a while for manic depression. Getting the right dosage, and monitoring other factors which affect your biochemistry is an ongoing challenge. In fact, that's a big part of why I closed my consultancy down and went looking for a job where I wasn't the end-all, be-all of the business model. But that's another story altogether.

Bubbalicious
01-29-2007, 07:18 PM

Yes. The brain explosions suck. They're distracting and may be part of what's making you irrational or irritable; you might still have enough Paxil in your system to keep your mood straight if it weren't for those annoying brain zaps.
You're supposed to taper off Paxil very very gradually if you decide to quit because the withdrawal's such a pain. You need to stop letting yourself run out all the time.

jimnyc
01-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Two questions.
1) Are you on Paxil or Paxil-CR? If you're not on the time-release CR, get on it now! That helped me immensely.

I was prescribed the CR and that's what I've been on for 3 years. I ran out though, and had 'borrowed' a few, but they were less dosage and only the regular Paxil. I know, dumb, but I do dumb things often :)

2) What other medications are you on.

Paxil, Trileptal & Xanax

I was on Paxil and Depakote for quite a while for manic depression. Getting the right dosage, and monitoring other factors which affect your biochemistry is an ongoing challenge. In fact, that's a big part of why I closed my consultancy down and went looking for a job where I wasn't the end-all, be-all of the business model. But that's another story altogether.

That's where I'm at now, wondering if Paxil is what I need or another medication, maybe the chemistry just isn't right, I'm not sure.

It took it's toll on me. I've only worked in corporate environments, with generally lots of responsibilities and little manpower (when I felt like working anyway!). I tend to excel with more responsibility and more pressure, but then I pay the price in the long run.

jimnyc
01-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Yes. The brain explosions suck. They're distracting and may be part of what's making you irrational or irritable; you might still have enough Paxil in your system to keep your mood straight if it weren't for those annoying brain zaps.
You're supposed to taper off Paxil very very gradually if you decide to quit because the withdrawal's such a pain. You need to stop letting yourself run out all the time.

Don't I know that all too well! Before Paxil, I was on Celexa, and the brain vibrations were the same when you went off of that as well. It's a horrid feeling, and then can leave you lightheaded and exhausted after awhile - but of course your body won't allow you to sleep properly, which is probably why I'm up anywhere between 2-5am daily as of late.

jackass
01-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Hey Jim...on a side note...did that rash on your balls ever clear up??

jimnyc
01-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Hey Jim...on a side note...did that rash on your balls ever clear up??

Yes! And please warn me the next time you offer to lick them!

jackass
01-29-2007, 07:28 PM
Hey...I just thought it was chapped lips!!! :dunno:

Bubbalicious
01-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Don't I know that all too well! Before Paxil, I was on Celexa, and the brain vibrations were the same when you went off of that as well. It's a horrid feeling, and then can leave you lightheaded and exhausted after awhile - but of course your body won't allow you to sleep properly, which is probably why I'm up anywhere between 2-5am daily as of late.

Lack of sleep is no help either. Maybe your pharmacy has some automated system to make it easier for you to plan refills?

This could help: http://www.sentt.com/ You can use that to send yourself text message reminders on your cell phone.

CockySOB
01-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Paxil, Trileptal & Xanax

That's where I'm at now, wondering if Paxil is what I need or another medication, maybe the chemistry just isn't right, I'm not sure.

It took it's toll on me. I've only worked in corporate environments, with generally lots of responsibilities and little manpower (when I felt like working anyway!). I tend to excel with more responsibility and more pressure, but then I pay the price in the long run.

First a disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor am I a pharmacologist. But I have done extensive research into the chemical cocktails I've had to take and the reasons that my doctor prescribed the various meds.

I'd maintain the Rx for Paxil CR at the current level as that portion seems to be working for you. But I'd consider moving off the Trileptal & Xanax. Try switching to a low-dose of Depakote CR instead. After about 4-5 days you should have an idea who the change is affecting you. The CR (controlled release) meds do a much better job of balancing their effect on your systems, and consequently don't put your biochemistry into a perpetual swing back and forth.

BTW, I just noticed your "buzzing" description and the irritability. Let me guess, you're having trouble getting a restful night's sleep right now as well, and while awake you feel... driven... possibly even a tad bit hyperactive with your thoughts. I'd bet you're on a manic upswing, and that's what the Depakote will address specifically.

I'd probably start with a 25 mg Paxil CR twice daily (similar in daily dosage to two 40 mg tabs of original Paxil, without the ups and downs). I'd also consider something along the lines of 250 mg Depakote CR twice a day to start, and increase to three times a day if the "buzzing" and irritability persist. The normal dosing for Depakote is 750 mg per day to start, but since you've been on a lighter cocktail, I'd at least consider starting below the recommended daily start value.

Have you had your blood worked up lately to determine how your physiology has changed since beginning your treatments? I think most doctors recommend a blood workup at least once a year while on treatment for manic depression. Sucks, but like high blood pressure, we have to keep close tabs on what is going on. Remember, if you're bipolar, you've got two separate conditions that you're fighting, not one - treat them and watch for them individually, but be ready for them when they cycle simultaneously.

Again, I am not a doctor nor a pharmacologist, so take these recommendations as they were presented - as a layperson's opinion based on his own experiences.

CockySOB
01-29-2007, 10:19 PM

Get on the depakote! Sounds to me like a classic manic surge. Ket the paxil handle the depression, and get the depakote going to take the edge off the mania which sounds like it is coming into cycle as well.

jimnyc
01-30-2007, 06:16 AM
First a disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor am I a pharmacologist. But I have done extensive research into the chemical cocktails I've had to take and the reasons that my doctor prescribed the various meds.

I've not researched chemical cocktails but have abused them over the years! :)

I'd maintain the Rx for Paxil CR at the current level as that portion seems to be working for you. But I'd consider moving off the Trileptal & Xanax. Try switching to a low-dose of Depakote CR instead. After about 4-5 days you should have an idea who the change is affecting you. The CR (controlled release) meds do a much better job of balancing their effect on your systems, and consequently don't put your biochemistry into a perpetual swing back and forth.I'll mention this to my physician, when I find a new one. I agree about the CR as I was much better when on the Paxil CR.

BTW, I just noticed your "buzzing" description and the irritability. Let me guess, you're having trouble getting a restful night's sleep right now as well, and while awake you feel... driven... possibly even a tad bit hyperactive with your thoughts. I'd bet you're on a manic upswing, and that's what the Depakote will address specifically.Yep. Barely any sleep and loss of specific thought control after awhile. I get up early, work on websites and really get rocking, then I just stop and don't know why, and may not return to where I left off for several days.

I'd probably start with a 25 mg Paxil CR twice daily (similar in daily dosage to two 40 mg tabs of original Paxil, without the ups and downs). I'd also consider something along the lines of 250 mg Depakote CR twice a day to start, and increase to three times a day if the "buzzing" and irritability persist. The normal dosing for Depakote is 750 mg per day to start, but since you've been on a lighter cocktail, I'd at least consider starting below the recommended daily start value.That's exactly what my Doc had me on, Paxil CR 25mg 2x per day. 600mg of Trileptal 1x daily & .25mg Xanax 2x daily.

Have you had your blood worked up lately to determine how your physiology has changed since beginning your treatments? I think most doctors recommend a blood workup at least once a year while on treatment for manic depression. Sucks, but like high blood pressure, we have to keep close tabs on what is going on. Remember, if you're bipolar, you've got two separate conditions that you're fighting, not one - treat them and watch for them individually, but be ready for them when they cycle simultaneously.No blood test specifically looking for my symptoms. I've had several in the past few years due to surgeries and such but that's about it.

jimnyc
01-30-2007, 06:18 AM
Get on the depakote! Sounds to me like a classic manic surge. Ket the paxil handle the depression, and get the depakote going to take the edge off the mania which sounds like it is coming into cycle as well.

My doctor had diagnosed me with bipolar and hypomania, the Trileptal is supposed to help with the mania. I make rash decisions without thinking of consequences, and do so at the drop of a dime. I have thoughts running wild in my head, nonstop, 24x7, and that doesn't help with my sleep pattern either.

CockySOB
01-30-2007, 08:27 AM
My doctor had diagnosed me with bipolar and hypomania, the Trileptal is supposed to help with the mania. I make rash decisions without thinking of consequences, and do so at the drop of a dime. I have thoughts running wild in my head, nonstop, 24x7, and that doesn't help with my sleep pattern either.

Sounds pretty close to my own diagnoses. Get on the Depakote CR. It'll take the edge off the manic "highs" and let your body calm down enough to actually get some good REM sleep, which should help your body get back into a biochemical balance. Trileptal is not as effective as Depakote as I understand. (Lithium is a last resort BTW).

Seriously Jim, get on Depakote ASAP. Matter of fact, if you can swing it, go on a heavy first dosage (250 mg four times a day for the first week or so). From the description you're IN a full-wing manic episode right now, and you have to get it tamed immediately or the effects of the mania will increase the effects of the depression creating a vicious biochemical cycle that can spiral quickly.

Something to note as well. The first few days on a high dose of Depakote will "seem" like you're going back into a depression, but that's just your body removing the artificial high of the hypomania. After a week or so, you'll notice that your sleep is better and your thoughts will be easier to focus. That was one of the absolute toughest things for me to figure out because as you know, riding the hypomanic wave is a fucking rush! The closest description I've ever heard to my hypomanic episodes was from people who were talking about being on ecstasy (X). But you have to knock that wave down an keep it down if you want to get control of your brain chemistry again.

jackass
01-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey Jim...why dont you just take it up the ass and get it over with?? Maybe then you wont be such a psycho!! :thumb: