PDA

View Full Version : Eagles' nest

Abbey Marie
03-21-2016, 11:20 AM
In case anyone is interested, this is an up close and personal live cam of an eagles' nest in PA. I watched it last year, from hatching to two eaglets growing almost to independence. I find it fascinating to watch Mr. and Mrs. Eagle fly away and come back with various types of food for their offspring, and feed them.

There are two eggs this year, too.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=1592549&mode=2

ETA: If the picture is frozen, try again later. It always comes back. I think the eggs are expected to hatch soon.

NightTrain
03-21-2016, 12:24 PM
They're fascinating to watch. We had an eagles nest in our front yard back as a kid, and every year they'd raise 3 eaglets. Mama sat with them mostly, and Big Boy would do most of the hunting / fishing... he was a monster with about an 8' wingspan.

One of the coolest things I ever witnessed was back then, a hawk of some kind was circling the nest harassing Mama, darting close and scooting again and again, trying to get her to give chase so he could zoom back and grab one of the eaglets... hawks are much more nimble than eagles. Mama wasn't falling for it, but was raising hell squawking and flapping her wings, trying to fend the hawk off. Dad wanted to shoot the hawk, but was afraid to take the shot for fear of hitting the eagle or the babies. My Dad was amazing with a rifle, but trying to hit a moving, circling hawk in attack mode was probably beyond even him.

We all wondered where the Daddy Eagle was, and were pretty concerned about what was happening.

Suddenly, my middle brother said "There he is!" and pointed up above, way above the nest... all we could make out was a speck. Right about then, Daddy tucked his wings in and plummeted like a Peregrine Falcon will do, and streaked down in a blur.. it surprised all of us, because we'd never heard of an eagle doing that.

Right before impact, he flared his wings and the hawk never saw it coming. The talons came out and he raked the hawk from stem to stern in an explosion of feathers and gore, and Daddy zoomed back up into the sky to shed that incredible speed.

The hawk began flapping awkwardly as he lost altitude, staggering through the sky to the other side of the river and disappeared in the woods on the ground somewhere. He was toast.

The daddy eagle landed beside the nest and the two parents started making noises we'd never heard them make before... it sounded like they were celebrating & gloating over the hawk's death.

We always found eagle feathers below the nest at the base of that huge cottonwood, and like any kid, brought them back to the house and stuck them in a crack of one of the logs above the bookshelf. A couple years later, we had a pretty impressive collection going, and that summer a Game Warden in a jet boat stopped in to say hi. Dad invited him into the house for coffee, and they chatted for a while. Out of the blue, the Warden asked the old man what race we were... kind of an odd question.

The old man replied that we were white, and the Warden asked if we were any part Native / Indian. Nope. He nodded -it was pretty obvious that we were caucasian- and said that white folk like us weren't allowed by Federal law to possess those - but he said he totally understood where they came from, nodding his head toward the nest out front.

"What?" the old man asked.

"Yep. Every one of those feathers is a felony for you. I'd advise you to get rid of them... the next officer along might not be as understanding."

So.... that was the end of our feather collection! We broke the law enough with poaching, the old man didn't want to tempt fate over something like that. It was a good call.

Abbey Marie
03-21-2016, 01:14 PM
Your stories never disappoint, NT. Wow!

Elessar
03-21-2016, 01:30 PM
In case anyone is interested, this is an up close and personal live cam of an Eagles nest in PA. I watched it last year, from hatching to two eaglets growing almost to independence. I find it fascinating to watch Mr. and Mrs. Eagle fly away and come back with various types of food for their offspring, and feed them.

There are two eggs this year, too.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=1592549&mode=2

ETA: If the picture is frozen, try again later. It always comes back. I think the eggs are expected to hatch soon.

I sit on the river (Rouge) and watch these these graceful birds all the time!

Elessar
03-21-2016, 01:33 PM
They're fascinating to watch. We had an eagles nest in our front yard back as a kid, and every year they'd raise 3 eaglets. Mama sat with them mostly, and Big Boy would do most of the hunting / fishing... he was a monster with about an 8' wingspan.

Darn...that was delightful!

Abbey Marie
03-21-2016, 05:37 PM
I just read there was an owl attack on the nest last night. Wow. Might explain all the feathers- feathers were literally flying.

sundaydriver
03-21-2016, 05:45 PM
This is the same nest I posted a link to last year. It's about 15 miles from me and there are others closer along the Delaware River, but this is the only one with a cam.

Abbey Marie
03-21-2016, 06:18 PM
This is the same nest I posted a link to last year. It's about 15 miles from me and there are others closer along the Delaware River, but this is the only one with a cam.

Pretty sure I did, too. Weird how we missed each other.

Is Hanover anywhere near Bucks County?

sundaydriver
03-21-2016, 07:10 PM
Pretty sure I did, too. Weird how we missed each other.

Is Hanover anywhere near Bucks County?

My mistake, I thought this was the Hanover by Allentown. It's not, it's near York, Pa.

Nowhere near Bucks County, but if I walked out back and jumped in the creek, it would drop me into the Delaware River six miles to the south and I could meet you at the Golden Pheasant Inn tomorrow in time for lunch. You'll have to buy though as I won't be carrying my wallet. I'll be the wet one.

Abbey Marie
03-21-2016, 07:18 PM
My mistake, I thought this was the Hanover by Allentown. It's not, it's near York, Pa.

Nowhere near Bucks County, but if I walked out back and jumped in the creek, it would drop me into the Delaware River six miles to the south and I could meet you at the Golden Pheasant Inn tomorrow in time for lunch. You'll have to buy though as I won't be carrying my wallet. I'll be the wet one.

Lol! My husband and I love the Golden Pheasant! And I hear you on the wallet- it ain't cheap! Have you had their mustard and local honey chicken breast? I never knew chicken could be quite that good.

sundaydriver
03-23-2016, 06:00 AM
Lol! My husband and I love the Golden Pheasant! And I hear you on the wallet- it ain't cheap! Have you had their mustard and local honey chicken breast? I never knew chicken could be quite that good.

Where were you yesterday, I waited & waited then had to hitch hike up 611 back home hungry? ;)

No, never had the chicken but the woman has. Have only been there 3 or 4 times but pretty good with mostly good service, atmosphere, and rotating menu. Pricey is right.

sundaydriver
03-23-2016, 06:18 AM
Hey, I read that another 5 bald eagles found dead in Delaware making it 19 dead eagles found this month. I hope you didn't share this link with any other Delawareans just to be safe.

Abbey Marie
03-23-2016, 07:54 AM
Hey, I read that another 5 bald eagles found dead in Delaware making it 19 dead eagles found this month. I hope you didn't share this link with any other Delawareans just to be safe.

Yes, and a bunch died in Maryland the month prior. Those were determined to be not by natural causes. :(:(

Abbey Marie
03-29-2016, 07:11 PM
1st chick hatched this morning. Mom & Dad were already feeding it fish today. :thumb: