PDA

View Full Version : States/Governments

indago
03-22-2016, 07:59 AM
From The Associated Press 21 March 2016:
--------------------------------------------------------------
The Republican-dominated Kansas Legislature has advanced a bill declaring that state Supreme Court justices can be impeached for attempting to usurp the Legislature's power. ...The state constitution says Supreme Court justices can be impeached for treason, bribery or "other high crimes and misdemeanors." The bill outlines a list of misconduct covered by the latter phrase, including attempting "to usurp" the power of other branches of state government.
--------------------------------------------------------------

article (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_XGR_IMPEACHING_JUDGES_KANSAS?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-03-21-20-26-03)

darin
03-22-2016, 08:12 AM
This gives me hope :)

Kathianne
03-22-2016, 08:20 AM
This gives me hope :)

The closer the government to the people-elected or not-the more responsive they are. Note coming from Chicago area I KNOW that doesn't mean corruption free-but responsive.

fj1200
03-22-2016, 08:52 AM
Is there something rotten in Kansas that needs to be addressed?

Kathianne
03-22-2016, 08:54 AM
Is there something rotten in Kansas that needs to be addressed?

Perhaps sending a message to the Feds? I'd like to see something similar about removing legislators that just give up their powers to the President. I don't know many governors that do the same as presidents trying to garner power in themselves to the degree, then again, they don't have the power of 'wars.'

fj1200
03-22-2016, 09:00 AM
Perhaps sending a message to the Feds? I'd like to see something similar about removing legislators that just give up their powers to the President. I don't know many governors that do the same as presidents trying to garner power in themselves to the degree, then again, they don't have the power of 'wars.'

That herd of horses ran out the barn a century or two ago. "Usurpring" power seems a bit vague. I couldn't find a list of misconduct.

Kathianne
03-22-2016, 09:07 AM
That herd of horses ran out the barn a century or two ago. "Usurpring" power seems a bit vague. I couldn't find a list of misconduct.

Oh declarations of war and the use of signing statements are but two examples, good discussion here:

http://nationalinterest.org/article/congressional-abdication-8138

fj1200
03-22-2016, 09:13 AM
Oh declarations of war and the use of signing statements are but two examples, good discussion here:

I'm not disputing that. The OP referenced a listing of misconduct of the SC that I couldn't find.

indago
03-22-2016, 09:21 AM
Take for instance a gender identity case where the legislature passes a law, and the governor signs it, saying that gender identity is listed on the birth certificate, and the State Supreme Court says that gender identity is what the individual says it is. With the new law, the legislature could impeach the justices for usurping the power of the legislature.

Kathianne
03-22-2016, 09:22 AM
I'm not disputing that. The OP referenced a listing of misconduct of the SC that I couldn't find.

Found this, but understanding the machinations in a state one doesn't 'follow' is a bit of a challenge depending on the bias of sources, by nature local.

http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article67444902.html

Kathianne
03-22-2016, 09:29 AM
and another:

http://www.care2.com/causes/the-fight-between-the-kansas-legislature-and-the-state-supreme-court-heats-up.html

fj1200
03-22-2016, 09:42 AM
Take for instance a gender identity case where the legislature passes a law, and the governor signs it, saying that gender identity is listed on the birth certificate, and the State Supreme Court says that gender identity is what the individual says it is. With the new law, the legislature could impeach the justices for usurping the power of the legislature.

Depends on the law, depends on their Constitution, depends on a multitude of things. Besides the people of Kansas have the opportunity to throw out justices that they don't like.

Found this, but understanding the machinations in a state one doesn't 'follow' is a bit of a challenge depending on the bias of sources, by nature local.

Not sure how those don't already fall under "high crimes and misdemeanors" but maybe the problem is that they don't really use the tool they have in the first place:

And he criticized the current standards for the House to impeach a judge and the Senate to try the case.He said only one judge has been impeached in the history of the state, for being intoxicated on duty.
“And he was acquitted,” Smith said.

Abbey Marie
03-22-2016, 09:57 AM
And if this law ends up being reviewed by the Kansas SC? ;)

indago
03-22-2016, 02:04 PM
And if this law ends up being reviewed by the Kansas SC? ;)

Yeah, and they find it to be unconstitutional...

Abbey Marie
03-22-2016, 02:11 PM
Yeah, and they find it to be unconstitutional...

That's the idea.

Like the fox guarding the hen house.