PDA

View Full Version : CRISIS in TENNESEE!! OMG WINE IN GROCERY STORES!

darin
03-28-2016, 02:40 AM
I detest blue laws and the reasons people support them. I detest Christian fundamentalists' desire to control and subjugate others to their delusions about "OMGSIN!!WTF!!OHNO!!" I hate it while living in Alabama; made living there kind of annoying.

http://www.infowars.com/crisis-in-tennessee-wine-to-hit-grocery-stores/

Great video. He speaks common-sense truth.

tailfins
03-28-2016, 08:38 AM
I detest blue laws and the reasons people support them. I detest Christian fundamentalists' desire to control and subjugate others to their delusions about "OMGSIN!!WTF!!OHNO!!" I hate it while living in Alabama; made living there kind of annoying.

Then you should be happy with the many liberal victories of late. I detest all the intrusions on our freedoms with Mother's Against Drunk Driving style accommodations of drinkers including but not limited to:
Roadblocks, Administrative License Suspensions, Abridging search and seizure right and much more.

Fundamentalist Christians have been defeated at every turn:
Abortion on demand
Public religious displays
Gay marriage
Gay adoption
destruction of traditional families
prayer prohibited in schools

You would especially love Massachusetts where social workers have developed a culture of making any excuse to take children from traditional families and place them with homosexual "families".

NightTrain
03-28-2016, 08:48 AM

Yeah, I never understood that or agreed with it. Kentucky has a lot of those dry counties, and my cop friend had a very well stocked liquor cabinet when I visited him... doesn't make sense to dump that Crown out when it would be better served to your thirsty friend from AK, right?

We've got that kind of crap here in AK out in the villages - they can be Wet, Damp or Dry. Damp means you can't buy it out there, but you can possess it. Those rules don't work. All they do is make ordinary citizens criminals and encourage bootlegging & smuggling, just like it did back in Prohibition.

Worse, the Native kids out there end up turning to huffing gas or ingesting other extremely harmful things to get a buzz.

darin
03-28-2016, 08:59 AM
Then you should be happy with the many liberal victories of late. I detest all the intrusions on our freedoms with Mother's Against Drunk Driving style accommodations of drinkers including but not limited to:
Roadblocks, Administrative License Suspensions, Abridging search and seizure right and much more.

Fundamentalist Christians have been defeated at every turn:
Abortion on demand
Public religious displays
Gay marriage
Gay adoption
destruction of traditional families
prayer prohibited in schools

You would especially love Massachusetts where social workers have developed a culture of making any excuse to take children from traditional families and place them with homosexual "families".

You changed your post after rep and thanks - changed it into something sorta stupid and unrelated.

tailfins
03-28-2016, 11:25 AM
You changed your post after rep and thanks - changed it into something sorta stupid and unrelated.

Maybe I should have written the second thought as a second post.

darin
03-28-2016, 12:06 PM
Either way this is a victory for liberty and christianity, as blue laws are decidedly anti-christian.

sundaydriver
03-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Either way this is a victory for liberty and christianity, as blue laws are decidedly anti-christian.

Blue Laws came into being to restrict certain activities & sales solely for religious reasons mostly on only Sunday's.

When I was a kid about the only thing you could buy on a Sunday was food. In the market, every isle not containing food was blocked off and this was thought to give you nothing to do but go to church on Sunday.

Gunny
03-28-2016, 12:58 PM

Should give Texas a shot. You can't even buy liquor on Sunday or holidays there unless you go to a bar. Alabama never bothered me. Different states just have weird laws. I worked in a bar in FL from the time I was 18 .. get to CA when I joined the Corps, and wasn't old enough to be in one until I turned 21.

But you can get booze in the grocery store in CA. You can get beer in the grocery store in Texas. I don't know that I detest the laws because of some Christian fundamentalism but they sure as Hell used to inconvenience me.

I think KC, MO was the worst, but that was back in the 70s. You couldn't do crap on Sunday but get bread, milk and gas.

Abbey Marie
03-28-2016, 02:12 PM

Well, there was Jesus' first miracle and all. :beer:

Gunny
03-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Well, there was Jesus' first miracle and all. :beer:

I missed this one. I disagree with Darin. There's a list of reasons "why not". Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy comes to mind.

They used to shut down alcohol sales on voting day. Can't imagine why. I sure want some drunk a$$ out of his mind voting. Guess they couldn't get any dumber than they have been lately though. :rolleyes:

And who the Hell drinks wine anyway? That crap is nasty.

The "wine" in Jesus' day was basically grape juice. I don't think he was passing around the bottle of Mad Dog.

It is definitely Christian to regulate the behavior of others to conform to the rules of the church, like it or not.

Abbey Marie
03-28-2016, 02:40 PM
And who the Hell drinks wine anyway? That crap is nasty.

The "wine" in Jesus' day was basically grape juice. I don't think he was passing around the bottle of Mad Dog.

Where did you get that idea? There are examples all over the Bible of people drinking too much, and being warned about drinking too much. That ain't from grape juice.

Gunny
03-28-2016, 03:04 PM
Where did you get that idea? There are examples all over the Bible of people drinking too much, and being warned about drinking too much. That ain't from grape juice.

Been in the Middle East? Another myth is "Russian vodka" and what waste cases they are. Their vodka is 40 proof. I'd get sick before I could drink enough of that 40 proof crap to get plastered. I'm well aware of the references. In case you haven't noticed, I'm sorta up on my Bible verses.

I also know from being alcoholic that it depends on the man/woman. I've seen people drink beer until I got sick just watching them. I've seen people get drunk on 3 beers. Doesn't even phase me. I can't drink enough beer to get drunk. Give me a bottle of Jack? We're in business. I drink it straight out of the bottle. And I can easily kill a bottle in a day. And I'm not bragging. Nothing to brag about. Just stating fact.

We spend our time making one-size-fits all laws with no regard for the individual. I know people my age that shouldn't be allowed to drink. But we put an age limit on it. You magically become responsible on your 21st birthday? No. You're old enough to die for your country at 18 but you can't have a beer? I agree the laws are stupid. I just don't agree they are not Christian.

And, ma'am .. that crap is grape juice. Wine back then was not wine as we know it. I didn't say you couldn't get drunk from enough of it, but our idea of alcohol and their idea back in the day is totally different.

Black Diamond
03-28-2016, 04:39 PM

Some pastors claim it was ambrosia. I don't think so.

Elessar
03-28-2016, 05:49 PM

Not sure I can see it that way, but some of the arguments is this thread are interesting.

namvet
03-28-2016, 06:11 PM
used to be in KS you could not sell booze and cigarettes in the same building. there's still some strange and weird laws on the books today

sundaydriver
03-28-2016, 08:09 PM
Pennsylvania has some of the most outdated liquor sale laws in the nation. It's only been about 5 years or so that beer distributors can be open on Sunday, only a handful of large grocery stores sell beer, wine & stronger can only be bought at state run stores,all must have a Pa. state tax stamp or it's illegal. We often buy in NJ due to better prices and selection and at the bridges they used to be on the lookout for people doing this with Pa LCB people sitting outside the liquor stores in NJ that were just across the river and call ahead to the bridge cops when a Pa. licensed car purchased and was heading toward the bride.

darin
03-29-2016, 01:12 AM
It is definitely Christian to regulate the behavior of others to conform to the rules of the church, like it or not.

Whoa. Not. Even. Close. What "the Church" does is frequently at odds with Christianity. Christ never cared about regulating behaviour.

Been in the Middle East? In case you haven't noticed, I'm sorta up on my Bible verses.

But did you miss the probably dozens references to 'being drunk' throughout the bible? I could probably give you two dozen. The Myth is only "Biblical 'wine' was today's Grape-juice". I grew up on that myth too. As an attendee of the Ass.of God, my parents drank the koolaid. At their 25th wedding anniversary party, they were gifted a bottle of Champaign. Upon the guests leaving my mother INSISTED we were sinning by merely having that in the house. My dad capitulated and poured it down the sink. I get where loving, well-meaning sheeple follow the American Christian Traditions regarding alcohol because I lived it. Figuring out something you once knew as truth is nothing more than a myth hurts at first, but is ultimately liberating.

And, ma'am .. that crap is grape juice. Wine back then was not wine as we know it. I didn't say you couldn't get drunk from enough of it, but our idea of alcohol and their idea back in the day is totally different.

Except it's really and truly NOT totally different. Clearly Noah and Lot did not get plastered from this supposed Juice or 'soft' alcoholic wine. And even if 'soft' alcoholic wine was used it's still alcoholic. At Passover - which happens in the spring, Christ and his homeboys drank Wine. Alcoholic Wine. They had to because there are likely no preserved 'grape juices' that make it from fall harvest - figure the latest harvest around September - to spring (Figure early April for Passover). And if Biblical-era wines were not or were lightly fermented, there's no way the Disciples at Pentecost would have been accused of being drunk on a 'holy' day.

Even non-jews required wine. Some folks estimate 5000 or more Roman soldiers living in that area - Rome used Wine to keep its forces healthy; often diluting wine with basic water, the alcohol might have helped to sort of purify the water. I've read Roman Soldiers drank as much as a liter of wine per day. Figure the average bottle today is 750ml, and serves about 4 - 5 glasses of wine daily - even diluted with water - was an important part of staying healthy. Because of the Alcohol.

I just don't agree they are not Christian.

Not sure I can see it that way, but some of the arguments is this thread are interesting.

I say it's anti-christian for a couple reasons.

First off - the Sabbath is Saturday. Their blue-laws are written under false pretense. IF they were to 'keep the Sabbath holy' the law should be enacted Saturdays. To the goal of 'keeping the sabbath holy' - Christ - the author of Christianity, despite what some churches tell us, never, ever, ever once cited ANY public law as Holy, nor did he support 'doing' or 'not-doing' ANYTHING to earn a measure of Holiness. Not consuming wine is NOT holy. Another reason it's anti-christian to me is because it unfairly restricts the rights of people to otherwise partake in what they choose to partake in. Think of it this way, if you had house guests and their faith caused them to eat Pork on sundays, but the Government said "no Pork on Sundays!!" you might be doing a disservice to your house guests by not being able to help them practice their faith. That is anti-Christian. Don't get caught up on the example I pulled from my rump (roast) - but try to understand what I'm trying to say. Essentially arbitrarily restricting access to legal goods, under the guise of Godliness is at its core anti-whoChristIs.

Pennsylvania has some of the most outdated liquor sale laws in the nation. It's only been about 5 years or so that beer distributors can be open on Sunday, only a handful of large grocery stores sell beer, wine & stronger can only be bought at state run stores,all must have a Pa. state tax stamp or it's illegal. We often buy in NJ due to better prices and selection and at the bridges they used to be on the lookout for people doing this with Pa LCB people sitting outside the liquor stores in NJ that were just across the river and call ahead to the bridge cops when a Pa. licensed car purchased and was heading toward the bride.

I will never understand why society allows its leaders such oppressive and ultimately stupid laws. :( In Michigan the state set "State minimum pricing" for booze. When I moved to MI in 2009 was forbidden to buy alcohol before noon on Sundays - thankfully reason eventually prevailed (*Republicans*) :)

Gunny
03-29-2016, 10:04 AM
Whoa. Not. Even. Close. What "the Church" does is frequently at odds with Christianity. Christ never cared about regulating behaviour.

But did you miss the probably dozens references to 'being drunk' throughout the bible? I could probably give you two dozen. The Myth is only "Biblical 'wine' was today's Grape-juice". I grew up on that myth too. As an attendee of the Ass.of God, my parents drank the koolaid. At their 25th wedding anniversary party, they were gifted a bottle of Champaign. Upon the guests leaving my mother INSISTED we were sinning by merely having that in the house. My dad capitulated and poured it down the sink. I get where loving, well-meaning sheeple follow the American Christian Traditions regarding alcohol because I lived it. Figuring out something you once knew as truth is nothing more than a myth hurts at first, but is ultimately liberating.

Except it's really and truly NOT totally different. Clearly Noah and Lot did not get plastered from this supposed Juice or 'soft' alcoholic wine. And even if 'soft' alcoholic wine was used it's still alcoholic. At Passover - which happens in the spring, Christ and his homeboys drank Wine. Alcoholic Wine. They had to because there are likely no preserved 'grape juices' that make it from fall harvest - figure the latest harvest around September - to spring (Figure early April for Passover). And if Biblical-era wines were not or were lightly fermented, there's no way the Disciples at Pentecost would have been accused of being drunk on a 'holy' day.

Even non-jews required wine. Some folks estimate 5000 or more Roman soldiers living in that area - Rome used Wine to keep its forces healthy; often diluting wine with basic water, the alcohol might have helped to sort of purify the water. I've read Roman Soldiers drank as much as a liter of wine per day. Figure the average bottle today is 750ml, and serves about 4 - 5 glasses of wine daily - even diluted with water - was an important part of staying healthy. Because of the Alcohol.

I say it's anti-christian for a couple reasons.

First off - the Sabbath is Saturday. Their blue-laws are written under false pretense. IF they were to 'keep the Sabbath holy' the law should be enacted Saturdays. To the goal of 'keeping the sabbath holy' - Christ - the author of Christianity, despite what some churches tell us, never, ever, ever once cited ANY public law as Holy, nor did he support 'doing' or 'not-doing' ANYTHING to earn a measure of Holiness. Not consuming wine is NOT holy. Another reason it's anti-christian to me is because it unfairly restricts the rights of people to otherwise partake in what they choose to partake in. Think of it this way, if you had house guests and their faith caused them to eat Pork on sundays, but the Government said "no Pork on Sundays!!" you might be doing a disservice to your house guests by not being able to help them practice their faith. That is anti-Christian. Don't get caught up on the example I pulled from my rump (roast) - but try to understand what I'm trying to say. Essentially arbitrarily restricting access to legal goods, under the guise of Godliness is at its core anti-whoChristIs.

I will never understand why society allows its leaders such oppressive and ultimately stupid laws. :( In Michigan the state set "State minimum pricing" for booze. When I moved to MI in 2009 was forbidden to buy alcohol before noon on Sundays - thankfully reason eventually prevailed (*Republicans*) :)

My grandparents were the same (although apparently back in the day gramps was the precursor to me). Their house, I respected their rules. Something some kids nowadays could learn.

Point is, I agree where blue laws are concerned. They are random and stupid, state to state. I feel the same about smoking though. Don't tell me you can take your 300 lb fat ass into a bar and pickle your liver but I can't smoke in it. You got a LOT more to worry about than "second-hand" smoke.

I merely pointed out that they ARE laws based on Christian morality. I have found them ridiculous and rather inconvenient back in my days in the sun.

darin
03-30-2016, 12:47 AM
The problem is associating Christianity with what the church decides or does. Blue laws stem from Churchianity - NOT christ.

Jeff
03-30-2016, 08:47 AM
The town I live in has just gotten a OK to sell beer, but not on Sunday. In SC while living there ya couldn't buy beer on Sunday either, but if ya knew the right folks ya could walk in and tell the store owner to "sack me" and he would put a 6 pack in a bag and ya paid for it, he wouldn't ring it up but ya could get your beer to watch the game in case ya had forgotten the day before. Also come like 5 to 12 on a Saturday night here in the town I live in Walmart won't sell ya beer, they say there clocks could be wrong so they give it a few minutes. :rolleyes: And liquor in both places could only be bought nat a private club or a ABC store on any day, of course not on Sunday.

Gunny
03-30-2016, 09:22 AM
The town I live in has just gotten a OK to sell beer, but not on Sunday. In SC while living there ya couldn't buy beer on Sunday either, but if ya knew the right folks ya could walk in and tell the store owner to "sack me" and he would put a 6 pack in a bag and ya paid for it, he wouldn't ring it up but ya could get your beer to watch the game in case ya had forgotten the day before. Also come like 5 to 12 on a Saturday night here in the town I live in Walmart won't sell ya beer, they say there clocks could be wrong so they give it a few minutes. :rolleyes: And liquor in both places could only be bought nat a private club or a ABC store on any day, of course not on Sunday.

Yeah, well if you moved a little bit west on US72 I got some cousins that never heard of blue laws and always seem to have a jug handy. :laugh:

Trigg
03-30-2016, 12:18 PM
In Indiana you can't buy any beer or liquor on Sundays unless your in a restaurant or bar. Also, you can't buy cold beer anywhere but in a liquor store.

It's kind of odd to walk into a convenience store or grocery in other states and see beer cold.

The law doesn't bother me, simply plan ahead :cheers2: