PDA

View Full Version : Fires In Our Back Yard, Reno...

Pale Rider
07-18-2007, 12:06 AM
I took these pictures today between four and five PM, not a block up from my place in northwest Reno. This is looking almost due south towards Lake Tahoe. As a matter of fact, Lake Tahoe is right over those mountains...

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/2627/fire0030bj1.jpg

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/9086/fire0050ro8.jpg

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/7821/fire0180tk3.jpg

I wonder what their houses smell like?

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/6831/fire0320ty9.jpg

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9662/fire0310oj8.jpg

This guy came right over me, one of the choppers fighting the fire with water bag...

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/1248/fire0250qw0.jpg

And one more chopper that came fairly close to me fighting the fire with water bag...

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1861/fire0340ev7.jpg

I hope our city is still here in the morning. I think it's really sad to see all those nice trees burning, but it's drier than a pop corn fart around here. I wish it would rain.

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 12:10 AM
I was watching the story on the news and I relized that was by you and got worried, I am glad to know your ok.

manu1959
07-18-2007, 12:11 AM
stay safe pale.........

Pale Rider
07-18-2007, 12:12 AM
I was watching the story on the news and I relized that was by you and got worried, I am glad to know your ok.

They were saying that the fire fighting effort tonight will be concentrated on saving property, homes, but pretty much NONE of the fire is contained yet... :eek:

Pale Rider
07-18-2007, 12:16 AM
stay safe pale.........

'Preciate it brother... no tellin' what might happen if it gets down by the valley and houses though... we could have another 1,800's style San Fran fire.

I freakin' HOPE NOT!

LiberalNation
07-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Nah, the firefighters will stop it. They'd never let a city burn and they have unlimited water and easy access if it gets into town.

Pale Rider
07-18-2007, 12:33 AM
Nah, the firefighters will stop it. They'd never let a city burn and they have unlimited water and easy access if it gets into town.

You have to understand, there's three other fires burning in Nevada and several close in California, and resources are stretched real thin. Did you get an idea how "big" this fire is? Three choppers and one slurry plane will NOT stop it if it has the right fuel. Not only that, the wind blows REAL HARD coming over those mountains, and blows TOWARDS TOWN. See which direction the smoke is going?

I'm afraid anything can happen with this fire, and as I sit here right now, I've just noticed I can smell smoke.

LiberalNation
07-18-2007, 12:35 AM
That sucks, you ready to evacuate if need be.

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 12:38 AM
They were saying that the fire fighting effort tonight will be concentrated on saving property, homes, but pretty much NONE of the fire is contained yet... :eek:

If you need a place to store your bike or anything let me know. We have a 8 car garage and a 5 bedroom house if you need a place and are evacuated.

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 12:43 AM

On the news tonight they said they have everything out already fighting fires and said they are in real trouble. On the positive side is the Govornor's house(not the mansion, the home he has have for years) is by the fire so you know he will put every resource available to put it out. Even if it wasn't I know the Governor, I rap a portion of his campaign and he''s a lreally good guy and I know will put every resource into it he can. I am amazed that Governor Arnold isn't offering to help us out when our Governor came to his aid and was actually out at the fire scene before he was during the Tahoe fire.

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 12:44 AM
You have to understand, there's three other fires burning in Nevada and several close in California, and resources are stretched real thin. Did you get an idea how "big" this fire is? Three choppers and one slurry plane will NOT stop it if it has the right fuel. Not only that, the wind blows REAL HARD coming over those mountains, and blows TOWARDS TOWN. See which direction the smoke is going?

I'm afraid anything can happen with this fire, and as I sit here right now, I've just noticed I can smell smoke.

We have smoke here in Carson from it now too.

LiberalNation
07-18-2007, 12:46 AM
Hmmmm, hope the strong winds don't blow it into a fire storm in a dense neighborhood. Really haven't seen much about it on my normal net sources.

Pale Rider
07-18-2007, 12:55 AM
Hmmmm, hope the strong winds don't blow it into a fire storm in a dense neighborhood.
No doubt. You and all the rest of the peope living up there near it. All of those homes are nice homes, mostly new, and some of them are in the two million dollar and up catagory.

Really haven't seen much about it on my normal net sources.
The fire is only two days old. If it gets much bigger, or starts eating houses and heads into town, you'll see it on the national news I'm sure.

Pale Rider
07-18-2007, 12:58 AM
If you need a place to store your bike or anything let me know. We have a 8 car garage and a 5 bedroom house if you need a place and are evacuated.

I really can't imagine them letting this fire get near town, or even those expensive houses up there on the hillside. But, I have a great fire break between me and the fire, namely McCarren Blvd. I might slip up there and see if I can see fire tonight.

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 01:18 AM
I really can't imagine them letting this fire get near town, or even those expensive houses up there on the hillside. But, I have a great fire break between me and the fire, namely McCarren Blvd. I might slip up there and see if I can see fire tonight.

Fire's don't know bounderies and can do anything.............

Pale Rider
07-18-2007, 01:22 AM
Fire's don't know bounderies and can do anything.............

I'd rather not think like that right now. I'm a little too close for comfort.

Abbey Marie
07-18-2007, 02:00 AM
Keep in touch with us, Pale. You are now officially on my worry list. Prayers for your town tonight.

stephanie
07-18-2007, 02:14 AM
I'm thinking of you all my friend....

I know what you all are going through...

:cheers2:

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 02:15 AM
I'd rather not think like that right now. I'm a little too close for comfort.

My bad, sorry...................:slap:

Pale Rider
07-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Well I'm still here this morning and don't smell smoke. Gotta get some breakfast, workout, and then jump on the Harley and go take a look see what's up.

Kathianne
07-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Keep in touch with us, Pale. You are now officially on my worry list. Prayers for your town tonight.

What Abbey said goes here too. The fires out west seem more widespread than usual. On the other hand, we are having a very wet July.

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 03:30 PM
What Abbey said goes here too. The fires out west seem more widespread than usual. On the other hand, we are having a very wet July.

Send us some of the wetness............

Kathianne
07-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Send us some of the wetness............

Wish I could.

I was speaking to a friend this morning about this very thing. It's not something I think most Midwesterners would notice, save school kids and teachers. By the 2nd week in July normally, the grass and leaves take on a different hue. Certainly not 'fall', but a harbinger. There is a 'whiteness' on the underside of leaves and a lightening of grass. Not so this year. We are in jungle fever. I don't have to cut the grass, thankfully. It's a twice a week job, in an area where usually it would be down to twice a month.

Detailed Local Forecast

* Tonight: Scattered thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe. Low 69F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
* Tomorrow: Variable clouds and becoming windy with thunderstorms, especially in the morning. High 77F. NNW winds at 5 to 10 mph, increasing to 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 80%.
* Tomorrow night: A mostly clear sky. Low 56F. Winds N at 15 to 25 mph.
* Friday: Mainly sunny. High 76F. Winds N at 10 to 20 mph.
* Saturday: Mix of sun and clouds. Highs in the upper 70s and lows in the mid 50s.
* Sunday: Mainly sunny. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s.

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Wish I could.

I was speaking to a friend this morning about this very thing. It's not something I think most Midwesterners would notice, save school kids and teachers. By the 2nd week in July normally, the grass and leaves take on a different hue. Certainly not 'fall', but a harbinger. There is a 'whiteness' on the underside of leaves and a lightening of grass. Not so this year. We are in jungle fever. I don't have to cut the grass, thankfully. It's a twice a week job, in an area where usually it would be down to twice a month.

I just love the rain in general, the smell the feel the climate everything.

Jon
07-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Stay safe Pale. :(

Pale Rider
07-19-2007, 10:25 AM
It looks like they're getting a handle on it. It got pretty cool last night, 47 degrees, and the winds have been blowing against the fire. Twenty eight hundred acres later.

Kathianne
07-19-2007, 10:49 AM
It looks like they're getting a handle on it. It got pretty cool last night, 47 degrees, and the winds have been blowing against the fire. Twenty eight hundred acres later.

Good news! Praying for rain for you!