PDA

View Full Version : Bison Attacks in Yellowstone

Elessar
04-03-2016, 06:23 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/07/04/bison-attacks--yellowstone-national-park-lead--warnings/29695281/

This kind of idiocy happens in all wilderness parks and areas. Along U.S. 101 in Del Norte Humboldt counties
and Prairie Creek Redwoods State/National Park, there are signs posted to tell people "Caution! Elk are wild animals.
Do not approach".

But countless times I have seen tourists try to sidle up to these huge animals just to get snapshots
or 'selfies'. In the rut during early Fall, a 1000 lb bull can put a big hurting on someone. In the Spring during
calving season, a 600 lb female can cause serious hurt. I always give these critters their space.

Even a whitetail deer can cause serious damage

I'll wager 9 out of 10 of these fools are city folk that think wild animals are something out "Bambi" or
"The Lion King".

Gunny
04-03-2016, 06:35 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/07/04/bison-attacks--yellowstone-national-park-lead--warnings/29695281/

This kind of idiocy happens in all wilderness parks and areas. Along U.S. 101 in Del Norte Humboldt counties
and Prairie Creek Redwoods State/National Park, there are signs posted to tell people "Caution! Elk are wild animals.
Do not approach".

But countless times I have seen tourists try to sidle up to these huge animals just to get snapshots
or 'selfies'. In the rut during early Fall, a 1000 lb bull can put a big hurting on someone. In the Spring during
calving season, a 600 lb female can cause serious hurt. I always give these critters their space.

Even a whitetail deer can cause serious damage

I'll wager 9 out of 10 of these fools are city folk that think wild animals are something out "Bambi" or
"The Lion King".

There's a reason they're called WILD animals. Don't f*ck with them and don't whine if they act like wild animals because you're a dumbass. People kill me me with this crap. "Oh the killer whale almost killed that person". Let's see ... what part of KILLER whale do you NOT get?

Elessar
04-03-2016, 07:02 PM
There's a reason they're called WILD animals. Don't f*ck with them and don't whine if they act like wild animals because you're a dumbass. People kill me me with this crap. "Oh the killer whale almost killed that person". Let's see ... what part of KILLER whale do you NOT get?

Point is well made; Wild is Wild!. However, in the wild, Orca's are really docile towards humans with virtually no attacks reported.

Only ones I have heard of are in places like Sea World where they are in captivity.

Gunny
04-03-2016, 07:20 PM
Point is well made; Wild is Wild!. However, in the wild, Orca's are really docile towards humans with virtually no attacks reported.

Only ones I have heard of are in places like Sea World where they are in captivity.

I was basically being metaphorical. I've seen people do some dumbass sh*t, as I'm sure you have.

"Let's get the hook out of this shark's mouth". You go right the f*ck ahead AFTER I get to the bow.

"Let's f*ck with this donkey's tail". Uh huh.

My brother: "Look a kitty. I want to pet it." Except that kitty's a possum you dumbass.

And then people want to blame animals for acting like animals.

Elessar
04-03-2016, 07:28 PM
I was basically being metaphorical. I've seen people do some dumbass sh*t, as I'm sure you have.

"Let's get the hook out of this shark's mouth". You go right the f*ck ahead AFTER I get to the bow.

My brother: "Look a kitty. I want to pet it." Except that kitty's a possum you dumbass.

Good reply!

I've caught a few smaller sharks...best cut to the leader and toss it over the side.

I cornered a possum in a neighbor's house once. Trying chase it out, it ripped
a corn broom to shreds! :laugh:

Gunny
04-03-2016, 07:34 PM
Good reply!

I've caught a few smaller sharks...best cut to the leader and toss it over the side.

I cornered a possum in a neighbor's house once. Trying chase it out, it ripped
a corn broom to shreds! :laugh:

You stick the handle end into a possum's mouth. They'll latch on and have a death grip. Then you carry their butts outside and do what you got to do. Where I'm from, possum = target.

I've seen probably as much dumbass crap from people doing goofy stuff with fish as you have. Snorkeling in Biscayne Bay here's my friend: "Let's shoot the barracuda". How about NO? Spear bounced right off the f*cker and he was after some ass. You'd have thought I was Mark Spitz getting back onto Eliot Key. You couldn't see anything of me but my wake. :laugh:

Elessar
04-03-2016, 10:36 PM
Up in West Point NY, a work pal and I were driving back from scouting deer hunting areas.
They have many set aside and some are in training and impact areas. The deer herd there
is huge.

Going down the road (Grand Army of the Republic Highway), we spotted two little critters
running across the road. Dave says..."what are those?" I have very good vision. Told Dave
they were baby Raccoons...

He jerks the Jeep to a halt on the shoulder, saying he was going to trap one for a pet for
his 2 year old daughter. He leaps out and chases them. By the time I caught him, he was
reaching into a drainage ditch to pull one out, which was hunkered down and hissing. I yanked
Dave's arm back and tossed a leather bow hunting glove at the little critter.

That baby 'coon ripped the glove to shreds!:laugh:

Gunny
04-03-2016, 11:37 PM
Up in West Point NY, a work pal and I were driving back from scouting deer hunting areas.
They have many set aside and some are in training and impact areas. The deer herd there
is huge.

Going down the road (Grand Army of the Republic Highway), we spotted two little critters
running across the road. Dave says..."what are those?" I have very good vision. Told Dave
they were baby Raccoons...

He jerks the Jeep to a halt on the shoulder, saying he was going to trap one for a pet for
his 2 year old daughter. He leaps out and chases them. By the time I caught him, he was
reaching into a drainage ditch to pull one out, which was hunkered down and hissing. I yanked
Dave's arm back and tossed a leather bow hunting glove at the little critter.

That baby 'coon ripped the glove to shreds!:laugh:

Ya think? :laugh: Coons DON'T make good pets.

Jeff
04-04-2016, 07:52 AM

OK OK you win, your brother is without a doubt a tad bit more shot out than mine. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gunny
04-04-2016, 08:20 AM
OK OK you win, your brother is without a doubt a tad bit more shot out than mine. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah, my brother kind of missed the train in the common sense department. :laugh:

Another one of my favorites is people (tourists usually) want to go to the Strange Ranch in Welfare, TX to see the longhorns. "Let's go pet them". Idiots. They don't make meaner cattle than longhorns.

Seen them do the same sh*t in Miami. "Oh look .. a crocodile ... let's feed it a fish out of our hand". What part of that prehistoric monster's jaws are you missing?

sundaydriver
04-04-2016, 08:30 AM
This thread reminds me of an article I once read about Timber Rattlesnake bites in Pennsylvania which gave statistics as such.

97% bitten were male

90% were between the ages of 17 and 28

95% were bitten on the hand or forearm

97% of bites involved alcohol consumption

Hey, hold my beer while I catch this venomous snake! :laugh:

NightTrain
04-04-2016, 08:33 AM
My personal favorite from back in the late 70's - early 80's :

Guy was in his car at Yellowstone and a bear came up to the window for food. He had a loaf of bread and fed the nice cuddly bear.

Then he ran out of bread, and extended his empty hand to show the bear he didn't have any more. The bear ripped his arm off.

Turns out that the idiot DID still have food!

Give til it hurts? :laugh:

Elessar
04-04-2016, 08:39 AM
This thread reminds me of an article I once read about Timber Rattlesnake bites in Pennsylvania which gave statistics as such.

97% bitten were male

Ohh...that is the "I am bulletproof" age range!:laugh:

Kathianne
04-04-2016, 08:41 AM
Ohh...that is the "I am bulletproof" age range!:laugh:

Indeed, throw in the alcohol factor and it's surprising there aren't more injuries and deaths out there. ;)

Gunny
04-04-2016, 08:43 AM

97% bitten were male

You GOT to love THAT. What part of venomous snake are you missing? When I was a young n dumb Lance Corporal we used to party athis other LCpl's house in 29 Palms. They had managed to catch a sidewinder and put it in an aquarium. They get stoned and then be like, "Let's screw with the snake". Then acted all victimized when one of the dumbasses finally got bit. You're screwing with something that can strike a bullet fired at it (that's how most snakes actually get shot -- they kill themselves).

Elessar
04-04-2016, 08:43 AM
My personal favorite from back in the late 70's - early 80's :

Guy was in his car at Yellowstone and a bear came up to the window for food. He had a loaf of bread and fed the nice cuddly bear.

Then he ran out of bread, and extended his empty hand to show the bear he didn't have any more. The bear ripped his arm off.

Turns out that the idiot DID still have food!

Give til it hurts? :laugh:

Signs are posted all over Yosemite "Do Not Feed the Wildlife".

Yet Murphy's Law of Signs and Regulations kicks in still.
"All posted signs and regulations apply to everyone except the person presently reading them."

Gunny
04-04-2016, 08:45 AM
Signs are posted all over Yosemite "Do Not Feed the Wildlife".

Yet Murphy's Law of Signs and Regulations kicks in still.
"All posted signs and regulations apply to everyone except the person presently reading them."

Lion Country Safari outside Homestead, FL ... "Don't Roll Down Your Windows". :laugh:

Elessar
04-04-2016, 08:53 AM
You GOT to love THAT. What part of venomous snake are you missing? When I was a young n dumb Lance Corporal we used to party athis other LCpl's house in 29 Palms. They had managed to catch a sidewinder and put it in an aquarium. They get stoned and then be like, "Let's screw with the snake". Then acted all victimized when one of the dumbasses finally got bit. You're screwing with something that can strike a bullet fired at it (that's how most snakes actually get shot -- they kill themselves).

My Dad taught me at a very early age how to identify and avoid venomous critters in the USA. I never
had a problem with any of them all my life.

Gunny
04-04-2016, 09:01 AM
My Dad taught me at a very early age how to identify and avoid venomous critters in the USA. I never
had a problem with any of them all my life.

I haven't either. The whole point to this thread, right? Don't screw with them. That usually works. It's still cool to make fun of morons that do. :laugh: