PDA

View Full Version : A Very Bad Guy Is Dead

Kathianne
04-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Wow, saw this and just was like 'wow.' I must have been in 3rd or 4th grade when I read about the Kitty Genovese murder. First 'crime' story that truly effected me. We read about it in school during reading class. I must say looking back I do wonder what the teacher was thinking exposing kids to such a gruesome murder in higher elementary school?

I went home pretty upset and my mom talked to me for awhile. Basically came down to, "Call the police if there's any question of something you hear."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/05/nyregion/winston-moseley-81-killer-of-kitty-genovese-dies-in-prison.html?ribbon-ad-idx=12&rref=homepage&module=Ribbon&version=origin&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Home%20Page&pgtype=article

Gunny
04-04-2016, 10:10 PM
Wow, saw this and just was like 'wow.' I must have been in 3rd or 4th grade when I read about the Kitty Genovese murder. First 'crime' story that truly effected me. We read about it in school during reading class. I must say looking back I do wonder what the teacher was thinking exposing kids to such a gruesome murder in higher elementary school?

I went home pretty upset and my mom talked to me for awhile. Basically came down to, "Call the police if there's any question of something you hear."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/05/nyregion/winston-moseley-81-killer-of-kitty-genovese-dies-in-prison.html?ribbon-ad-idx=12&rref=homepage&module=Ribbon&version=origin&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Home%20Page&pgtype=article

If you recall, we weren't mamby-pambied around when we were kids like they are now. I think the first one I recall is the Torso Murders in Cleveland. Then there was "The Fugitive". It may in some way have formed the way we think, but I'd rather be me than one of these kids now. They're dumber'n a box of rocks . Protected from reality while embracing crap like Black Lies Matter and Gay Pride.

Kathianne
04-04-2016, 10:14 PM
If you recall, we weren't mamby-pambied around when we were kids like they are now. I think the first one I recall is the Torso Murders in Cleveland. Then there was "The Fugitive". It may in some way have formed the way we think, but I'd rather be me than one of these kids now. They're dumber'n a box of rocks . Protected from reality while embracing crap like Black Lies Matter and Gay Pride.

Catholic school. The nun explained what rape and 'anomie' were for crying out loud! My first memory of 'social justice' as both the roots anomie in big cities and prison reform became topics for discussion for awhile. Yes, I stand in awe that someone thought kids were old enough for the discussion and obviously we could understand it, however I'm not certain this was really appropriate at the age of 9 or so. LOL! I still am sort of freaked by it.

Gunny
04-04-2016, 10:30 PM
Catholic school. The nun explained what rape and 'anomie' were for crying out loud! My first memory of 'social justice' as both the roots anomie in big cities and prison reform became topics for discussion for awhile. Yes, I stand in awe that someone thought kids were old enough for the discussion and obviously we could understand it, however I'm not certain this was really appropriate at the age of 9 or so. LOL! I still am sort of freaked by it.

I never really thought about it. By today's standards, our parents would probably be in jail (I know my father would) and our teachers fired. The Bad always comes with the good. We're products of our generation and social settings. Mine was military. I didn't realize until I went to boot camp I'd been a recruit my entire childhood and I was never allowed to be a kid. Everyone talked about how tough Marine boot camp was and I was like "When does the hard part start?"

But I get your drift. Things we see as kids shape us. The original 1931 Dracula I saw when I was 8 and it freaked me out so bad I slept UNDER my mother's bed. :laugh2:

darin
04-05-2016, 01:27 AM
She should have stopped resisting and worked to create a dialog of what the guy wanted; what his NEEDS were. Was borderline racist for her to resist, right? :(

RIP Kitty.

Elessar
04-05-2016, 11:39 AM
I never really thought about it. By today's standards, our parents would probably be in jail (I know my father would) and our teachers fired. The Bad always comes with the good. We're products of our generation and social settings. Mine was military. I didn't realize until I went to boot camp I'd been a recruit my entire childhood and I was never allowed to be a kid. Everyone talked about how tough Marine boot camp was and I was like "When does the hard part start?"

But I get your drift. Things we see as kids shape us. The original 1931 Dracula I saw when I was 8 and it freaked me out so bad I slept UNDER my mother's bed. :laugh2:

Boot camp to me was a breeze after going through college football and track!:laugh2:

Gunny
04-05-2016, 11:55 AM
Boot camp to me was a breeze after going through college football and track!:laugh2:

Try growing up with my father. I could make a tight rack with hospital folds by the time I was 6. My room had to be squared away PERFECTLY before I could go out and play. And yeah, football in Aug in S Texas and S FL will learn ya'.:laugh:

Abbey Marie
04-05-2016, 12:15 PM
A death sentence-deserving guy if there ever was one.

Elessar
04-05-2016, 12:31 PM

I am not overly fond of death sentences.

But with beasts like this, I can easily make an exception.

Those deserving to be eliminated should be, and quickly.
Screw the appeals.

Gunny
04-05-2016, 01:11 PM

I am not overly fond of death sentences.

But with beasts like this, I can easily make an exception.

Those deserving to be eliminated should be, and quickly.
Screw the appeals.

I'm actually mixed on this one. Why would I want to spend every minute of the rest of my life locked in a cage? And Elessar knows this -- being on float to me was no different than being in jail. I was trapped on a tin can with a bunch of idiots for 6 months at a time. 368 days during the First Gulf War. Time stands still while the rest of the world goes on without you. I WAS going to say I entertained the notion of jumping off the fantail more than once but that wouldn't be entirely true. It's more like I wanted to "help" others over the rail. :laugh:

I don't have a problem with the death sentence but DO have a problem with our jacked-up judiciary using it.

DLT
04-05-2016, 01:56 PM

I vaguely remember hearing about this. The New Yorker "don't get involved" meme ....even if someone is getting brutally murdered outside your door. Don't know what the gun laws were back then in NY. Doesn't matter. Some man, some where, should have grabbed a baseball bat, tire jack, whatever....and taken care of that worthless POS sub-human. Would have saved the NY taxpayers a ton of $$$, not to mention wasted air and space used to house the demon all those decades.

DLT
04-05-2016, 02:03 PM

Don't remember how I managed to see a wolf man movie at such a young age, but I remember being able to look out of my bedroom window and "see" a wolf man skulking around out there....lol. Always had a great imagination.

Gunny
04-05-2016, 03:38 PM
Don't remember how I managed to see a wolf man movie at such a young age, but I remember being able to look out of my bedroom window and "see" a wolf man skulking around out there....lol. Always had a great imagination.

Was easy. Universal released their 30s-40s horror movies to syndication in the 50s-60s-70s. The local "Creature Feature" Friday night channel had a field day. It was called Project Terror in San Antonio. Creature Feature in Miami. That's where I first saw all the old original Universal monster movies. The Wolfman didn't scare me but for some reason Dracula scared the bejesus out of me. Christopher Lee was worse than the original because it was in color and Hammer Studios LOVED all that graphic crap and bright red blood.

People would say, Well, he died at the end. Yeah? So how does he keep coming back for another damned movie? :laugh: