PDA

View Full Version : Christians - how are you reading the bible?

darin
04-11-2016, 01:11 AM
I try to avoid frustration but I fail - when I see folks searching and studying scriptures to support their point of view. When we stop that nonsense, and take things as they are meant we'll know the heart of God; we will finally 'get it'. Study only to READ the letter and not USE the letter.

https://vimeo.com/162294016

revelarts
05-16-2016, 07:38 PM
I try to avoid frustration but I fail - when I see folks searching and studying scriptures to support their point of view. When we stop that nonsense, and take things as they are meant we'll know the heart of God; we will finally 'get it'. Study only to READ the letter and not USE the letter.

But you've tried to use it to tell me I'm wrong several times DMP. Or how there really is no hell or sin and the like.
how is it that you say OTHERS are the ones wrongly "studying scriptures to support their point of view."?
And how exactly do you know what what's in the heart of God anymore than anyone else? How are you sure you "get it" anymore than others?

Are we going by our feelings and just reading for to feel good?

aboutime
05-16-2016, 07:46 PM
rev. The problems with all Religion, and the fanatics who use it to belittle, or defame other humans, even to the point of Endless Wars of atrocity killing for the sake of religion, can only be remedied by PEOPLE MINDING THEIR OWN BUSINESS. STOP PREACHING TO THOSE WHO DISAGREE, AND ALLOW RELIGIOUS PEOPLE TO WORSHIP AS THEY WANT...WITHOUT INTERFERENCE.

revelarts
05-16-2016, 08:08 PM

I've listen to most of that sermon and what he describes as "reading" is EXACTLY what i did when i became a christian.
the "the Bible consumed me" "I knew/know it's to me" " it showed/shows me the nature of my personal savior God and creator.."

The Bible is not a text book, it is truly a love letter.
But even he mentions getting the full meaning and context, and understanding all the nuances became a passion. And reading it over and over out of passion. memorizing lines that speak you heart.
the minister make very goods points there.

We probably shouldn't assume that others are just reading it as a dry text for ammunition just because they don't have the exact same views on certain issues DMP.

darin
05-17-2016, 01:31 AM
But you've tried to use it to tell me I'm wrong several times DMP. Or how there really is no hell or sin and the like.
how is it that you say OTHERS are the ones wrongly "studying scriptures to support their point of view."?
And how exactly do you know what what's in the heart of God anymore than anyone else? How are you sure you "get it" anymore than others?

Are we going by our feelings and just reading for to feel good?

I've never told you that. What I'm trying to do is get you to read the bible in context and maybe shift your paradigm. You're accusing me of things that never happened. (shrug).

I've listen to most of that sermon and what he describes as "reading" is EXACTLY what i did when i became a christian.
the "the Bible consumed me" "I knew/know it's to me" " it showed/shows me the nature of my personal savior God and creator.."

The Bible is not a text book, it is truly a love letter.
But even he mentions getting the full meaning and context, and understanding all the nuances became a passion. And reading it over and over out of passion. memorizing lines that speak you heart.
the minister make very goods points there.

We probably shouldn't assume that others are just reading it as a dry text for ammunition just because they don't have the exact same views on certain issues DMP.

We probably shouldn't assume I am assuming anything. With everything I post here, if the shoe fits....

Popular Christianity - the organization of the 'religion' is the problem that's keeping folks from the heart of God. Not being free of the threat of an unloving god tormenting folks for eternity.

revelarts
05-17-2016, 01:43 AM
I've never told you that. What I'm trying to do is get you to read the bible in context and maybe shift your paradigm. You're accusing me of things that never happened. (shrug).

We probably shouldn't assume I am assuming anything. With everything I post here, if the shoe fits....

Popular Christianity - the organization of the 'religion' is the problem that's keeping folks from the heart of God. Not being free of the threat of an unloving god tormenting folks for eternity.

ha Ok,
who's on 1st.. 3rd base

Black Diamond
05-17-2016, 02:45 AM
ha Ok,
who's on 1st.. 3rd base

First base is kissing

Third base is well...

DLT
05-17-2016, 10:00 AM

Eh.....perhaps I'm misunderstanding....but....

if folks only 'read' the Bible vs. applying God's Word to their daily lives, what good would it be? Using the letter of God's Word to guide us in our mortal lives is what God intended, I'm thinking. Searching the scriptures for applicable passages that pertain to current events is normal and expected. Now, if you're referring to how some folks cherry-pick certain passages to promote an agenda, that's different.

darin
05-18-2016, 12:43 AM
I think you are misunderstanding. This is about cherry-picking the entirety of scripture to serve our purposes.

Most Christians I know - including those on this board - find a scripture or many scriptures - and apply it/them universally across every situation and circumstance. People read the bible with the goal of digging out justification of their point of view - instead of taking the bible as a whole; which is a partial revelation of the heart of God.