PDA

View Full Version : Billions of cicadas will descend upon the northeast

jimnyc
04-15-2016, 02:25 PM
Billions. Probably 2 or 3 would drive me bananas and wanting a shotgun to take them out. But BILLIONS? And I remember them making that annoying noise, then they are everywhere, you even have to step on them at times as you have little choice. Then they fill the trees. It's invasion time!! :laugh:

-----

The eighth biblical plague that tortured Egypt was a plague of locusts.

As described in Exodus 10:5, “And they shall cover the face of the earth, that one cannot be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which is escaped, which remaineth unto you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which groweth for you out of the field.”

Flip the aforementioned “they” from locusts to cicadas, and that’s actually a pretty apt description of what residents in some parts of Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia will experience next month when the soil warms to 64 degrees and billions of cicadas rise from the ground to mate. Fortunately, cicadas can’t chew so they don’t devour our plants and trees. If they manage to avoid predators long enough they suck up plant sap but not enough to any real damage.

This particular group of insects has a 17-year-life cycle that begins underground and culminates in the air as they swell and swarm and scream and sing, issuing deafening cries as the males desperately seek mates. This current 17-year-cycle, which began in 1999, begins to end next month, reports Cicada Mania.

As billions of insects emerge, they can reach a density of 1.5 million cicadas an acre in some areas.

The insects have hard, sleek shells topped with two bulb-like, red eyes. On average, they’re a little over 1.5 inches in length and, don’t worry, they don’t bite or sting, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.

The adults live above ground for four to six weeks, and the only thing that interests them is mating and laying eggs (much like salmon during the famed salmon run).

But there’s the noise.

Oh, the noise.

Anyone who has experienced a swarm likely remembers the noise.

As David Snyder wrote in The Washington Post in 2004, “Words seem inadequate to describe that vaguely menacing hum-whistle that seems to be everywhere but emanates from no single place in particular.”

“It feels like an alien spaceship coming in,” Arlington resident Gene Miller told Snyder.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/04/15/billions-of-cicadas-will-descend-upon-the-northeastern-united-states-as-another-17-year-cycle-conclude/

hjmick
04-15-2016, 02:28 PM
We have them every year here in SC. Mostly don't notice them...

jimnyc
04-15-2016, 02:34 PM
We have them every year here in SC. Mostly don't notice them...

I saw them down there. Imagine that times 1000000x though. They will coat the earth for a brief period and then disappear again for another 17 years.

Abbey Marie
04-15-2016, 03:06 PM
NOOOOO!!!!!

Many years ago, I decided to hang sheets on a clothesline for a change on a beautiful day. One of those nasty bug carcasses ended up stuck on a sheet. SO GROSS. Had to wash them all over again, of course. Never did that again- clothes dryer every time.

Voted4Reagan
04-15-2016, 04:07 PM
Billions. Probably 2 or 3 would drive me bananas and wanting a shotgun to take them out. But BILLIONS? And I remember them making that annoying noise, then they are everywhere, you even have to step on them at times as you have little choice. Then they fill the trees. It's invasion time!! :laugh:

-----

As described in Exodus 10:5, “And they shall cover the face of the earth, that one cannot be able to see the earth: and they shall eat the residue of that which is escaped, which remaineth unto you from the hail, and shall eat every tree which groweth for you out of the field.”

Flip the aforementioned “they” from locusts to cicadas, and that’s actually a pretty apt description of what residents in some parts of Ohio, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and West Virginia will experience next month when the soil warms to 64 degrees and billions of cicadas rise from the ground to mate. Fortunately, cicadas can’t chew so they don’t devour our plants and trees. If they manage to avoid predators long enough they suck up plant sap but not enough to any real damage.

This particular group of insects has a 17-year-life cycle that begins underground and culminates in the air as they swell and swarm and scream and sing, issuing deafening cries as the males desperately seek mates. This current 17-year-cycle, which began in 1999, begins to end next month, reports Cicada Mania.

As billions of insects emerge, they can reach a density of 1.5 million cicadas an acre in some areas.

The insects have hard, sleek shells topped with two bulb-like, red eyes. On average, they’re a little over 1.5 inches in length and, don’t worry, they don’t bite or sting, according to the United States Department of Agriculture.

The adults live above ground for four to six weeks, and the only thing that interests them is mating and laying eggs (much like salmon during the famed salmon run).

But there’s the noise.

Oh, the noise.

As David Snyder wrote in The Washington Post in 2004, “Words seem inadequate to describe that vaguely menacing hum-whistle that seems to be everywhere but emanates from no single place in particular.”

“It feels like an alien spaceship coming in,” Arlington resident Gene Miller told Snyder.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/04/15/billions-of-cicadas-will-descend-upon-the-northeastern-united-states-as-another-17-year-cycle-conclude/

Cicadageddon

DLT
04-15-2016, 06:33 PM

-----

But there’s the noise.

Oh, the noise.

No problem. As long as they don't run out of chocolate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7d88Ac_D_A

jimnyc
04-15-2016, 06:46 PM
^^^ Ugggghhhhh. When I was in like 7th or 8th grade, one of my friends at the time ate a slug for like $5 I believe it was. He even stuck his tongue out so that we could see that fat nasty squirmy thing before he swallowed it. Slugs are downright just disgusting. And he ATE one.

Just like this one in the video and the chocolate. No way, it's STILL a nasty bug. That's like deep frying a bunch of cat turds. It's STILL cat turds!! :laugh:

glockmail
04-15-2016, 07:43 PM
We have them here in the Piedmont every summer and the noise at night just plain sucks. One more reason that I'm retiring in the mountains.

Kathianne
04-15-2016, 09:29 PM
I saw them down there. Imagine that times 1000000x though. They will coat the earth for a brief period and then disappear again for another 17 years.

We got them in IL too, nasty and as you said, LOUD! The crunching, ewww. Ugly, so very ugly!

Jeff
04-16-2016, 06:40 AM
^^^ Ugggghhhhh. When I was in like 7th or 8th grade, one of my friends at the time ate a slug for like $5 I believe it was. He even stuck his tongue out so that we could see that fat nasty squirmy thing before he swallowed it. Slugs are downright just disgusting. And he ATE one.

Just like this one in the video and the chocolate. No way, it's STILL a nasty bug. That's like deep frying a bunch of cat turds. It's STILL cat turds!! :laugh:

I guess it had to be around that same time ( the last time I remember these cicadas being out by the billions) heck we had a 10 gallon fish tank & we would slam it full of these little ugly effers and then pour gas in on top of them and burn them, yep that was the same summer we set Valley Road on fire , from SR George's Ave to Chain O Hills, man the fire departments came from everywhere.

Abbey Marie
04-16-2016, 10:58 AM
I guess it had to be around that same time ( the last time I remember these cicadas being out by the billions) heck we had a 10 gallon fish tank & we would slam it full of these little ugly effers and then pour gas in on top of them and burn them, yep that was the same summer we set Valley Road on fire , from SR George's Ave to Chain O Hills, man the fire departments came from everywhere.

And where have you been, young man?

DLT
04-16-2016, 11:05 AM

Yeah....to this day I can't stand the thought of eating snails/escargot OR raw oysters. I don't like the slime factor and the texture...but think about how many folks that just LOVE eating those items. Fish eggs/caviar and sushi are other types of food that people love to eat that I don't care for. But at least I have tried them ONCE in my life so I can speak from first-hand experience when I say.... I don't like it.

An ex-bf of mine wouldn't even try a spoonful of grits once at an IHop. And yet, he would eat hominy in menudo. Weird. I have often thought about writing a book about people's food tastes....or more aptly, what some folks will NOT eat, never ever. My mom hated mushrooms, avocados and liver of ANY kind. I love all three of those. Everyone has their "nuh uh never" re: certain foods.

The group of people most likely to eat cicadas or insects, chocolate covered are no, are probably Asians. You walk into an Asian store and you're liable to see (and smell) just about anything...lol.