PDA

View Full Version : Opera Takes Out Big Guns For Obama

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 09:34 PM
WASHINGTON (CNN) – Her name has been known to skyrocket a novel to the top of the bestseller list, but can Oprah Winfrey do the same with a presidential candidate?

The popular talk show host, who first said she would support Sen. Barack Obama’s presidential bid in September on CNN’s Larry King Live, plans to host a $2,300 per-person fundraising event for the Illinois Democrat in her Montecito, California home next September.

In an e-mail sent out Tuesday, the event is being billed “the most exciting Barack Obama event of the year anywhere,” the Los Angeles Times reports.

According to the Times, those celebrities who pledge to raise $25,000 for the senator will be invited to a special VIP reception and a $50,000 pledge will win a dinner with Oprah and the candidate.

Though Winfrey’s highly-anticipated soirée is certain to produce an avalanche of campaign-cash for Obama, it remains to be seen whether her endorsement alone will translate into votes at the polls.

While Oprah began endorsing novels long ago, the TV host has never lent her support behind a presidential candidate until now.

Last May, Oprah told Larry King she chose to support a candidate for the first time this cycle because she knows Obama “personally,” and knows “what he stands for.”

“I think that what he stands for, what he has proven that he can stand for, what he has shown, was worth me going out on a limb for — and I haven’t done it in the past because I haven’t felt that anybody — I didn’t know anybody well enough to be able to say, I believe in this person,” Oprah said.

In the same interview, Oprah said her endorsement of Obama does not suggest she is against the other Democratic front-runner for the nomination, Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York.

“I think I’ve said this before and it’s true, because I am for Barack does not mean I am against Hillary or anybody else. So the fact that I would endorse Barack Obama and the fact that I would support Barack Obama, I have not one negative thing to say about Hillary Clinton,” she said.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

She is such a liar. She is supporting him because of his race. She proves that point as she has never supported another candidate and said she is not against Hillary and does not have a bad thing to say about him.

Clearly by looking at his campaign contrabution list it shows that most of the black celebrities are pulling for him. It's a shame that they are solely pulling for someone who is the worst candidate simply because of his race. This guy has the lest experience and is the most damaging to our country. what they don't realize is that he will push to get the taxes raised of the rich people which includes them and they are blinded to that because he is black.

Dilloduck
07-18-2007, 09:41 PM
WASHINGTON (CNN) – Her name has been known to skyrocket a novel to the top of the bestseller list, but can Oprah Winfrey do the same with a presidential candidate?

The popular talk show host, who first said she would support Sen. Barack Obama’s presidential bid in September on CNN’s Larry King Live, plans to host a $2,300 per-person fundraising event for the Illinois Democrat in her Montecito, California home next September.

In an e-mail sent out Tuesday, the event is being billed “the most exciting Barack Obama event of the year anywhere,” the Los Angeles Times reports.

According to the Times, those celebrities who pledge to raise $25,000 for the senator will be invited to a special VIP reception and a $50,000 pledge will win a dinner with Oprah and the candidate.

Though Winfrey’s highly-anticipated soirée is certain to produce an avalanche of campaign-cash for Obama, it remains to be seen whether her endorsement alone will translate into votes at the polls.

While Oprah began endorsing novels long ago, the TV host has never lent her support behind a presidential candidate until now.

Last May, Oprah told Larry King she chose to support a candidate for the first time this cycle because she knows Obama “personally,” and knows “what he stands for.”

“I think that what he stands for, what he has proven that he can stand for, what he has shown, was worth me going out on a limb for — and I haven’t done it in the past because I haven’t felt that anybody — I didn’t know anybody well enough to be able to say, I believe in this person,” Oprah said.

In the same interview, Oprah said her endorsement of Obama does not suggest she is against the other Democratic front-runner for the nomination, Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York.

“I think I’ve said this before and it’s true, because I am for Barack does not mean I am against Hillary or anybody else. So the fact that I would endorse Barack Obama and the fact that I would support Barack Obama, I have not one negative thing to say about Hillary Clinton,” she said.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

She is such a liar. She is supporting him because of his race. She proves that point as she has never supported another candidate and said she is not against Hillary and does not have a bad thing to say about him.

Clearly by looking at his campaign contrabution list it shows that most of the black celebrities are pulling for him. It's a shame that they are solely pulling for someone who is the worst candidate simply because of his race. This guy has the lest experience and is the most damaging to our country. what they don't realize is that he will push to get the taxes raised of the rich people which includes them and they are blinded to that because he is black.

I don't think opera is going to go over real big with the younger voters.

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 09:54 PM
I don't think opera is gonig to go over real big with the younger voters.

No, but the money she is going to help bring in from the celebrities will make a huge impact.

Dilloduck
07-18-2007, 10:18 PM
No, but the money she is going to help bring in from the celebrities will make a huge impact.

It was a joke-------read what you typed and ease up on the pain pills.

nevadamedic
07-18-2007, 11:08 PM
It was a joke-------read what you typed and ease up on the pain pills.

Hard to tell if it's a joke when you don't use the laughing smiley.

Pale Rider
07-19-2007, 10:21 AM
A black promoting a black. Gee... who could have seen that coming?

Hey oprah... it's all for not. You're little dog eared brotha will never get elected.

glockmail
07-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Hard to tell if it's a joke when you don't use the laughing smiley. Sometimes "your" really clueless. It's "Oprah", not "Opera". :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
07-19-2007, 11:09 AM
A black promoting a black. Gee... who could have seen that coming?

Hey oprah... it's all for not. You're little dog eared brotha will never get elected.

And for pointing that out, you will be accused of playing the race card. Weird, isn't it?

Gaffer
07-19-2007, 11:19 AM
oprah is just another racist. Ranks up there with jackson, sharpton and all the others.

Hagbard Celine
07-19-2007, 11:19 AM
And for pointing that out, you will be accused of playing the race card. Weird, isn't it?

You guys are all a bunch of damn racists! :dance:

glockmail
07-19-2007, 11:49 AM
You guys are all a bunch of damn racists! :dance: Take that back you mother boob sucker! :laugh2:

Pale Rider
07-19-2007, 12:06 PM

And here I thought it was Oprah playing the race card... :dunno:

Kathianne
07-19-2007, 12:25 PM
I was shocked that some opera company's opinion mattered. Seems a title change might be a good idea.

Oprah is based in Chicago, so is Obama. She is democrat, so is he. No surprise and I wouldn't chalk it up to race. Neither of them are my favs.

nevadamedic
07-19-2007, 02:00 PM
I was shocked that some opera company's opinion mattered. Seems a title change might be a good idea.

Oprah is based in Chicago, so is Obama. She is democrat, so is he. No surprise and I wouldn't chalk it up to race. Neither of them are my favs.

She is going for him simply for race. She is close with Hillary Clinton and cant say a bad thing about her but she is supporting obama someone she barely knows. She has never endorsed a candidate, c'mon it's not that hard to figure out.

nevadamedic
07-19-2007, 02:01 PM
And here I thought it was Oprah playing the race card... :dunno:

:laugh2:

Kathianne
07-19-2007, 02:22 PM
She is going for him simply for race. She is close with Hillary Clinton and cant say a bad thing about her but she is supporting obama someone she barely knows. She has never endorsed a candidate, c'mon it's not that hard to figure out.

Chicago politics. I'm not defending Oprah, just don't think that race is the thing.