PDA

View Full Version : The 16th

WiccanLiberal
04-15-2016, 06:23 PM
Feeling a bit at a loss as I usually do this time of year. My Dad passed April 16th, 2002. There are days I still think - Gee Dad would really like that - and want to call him up.
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8770&stc=1http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8771&stc=1

Kathianne
04-15-2016, 09:31 PM
My condolences and (((hugs)))

DLT
04-16-2016, 11:27 AM
Feeling a bit at a loss as I usually do this time of year. My Dad passed April 16th, 2002. There are days I still think - Gee Dad would really like that - and want to call him up.
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8770&stc=1http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8771&stc=1

Yeah, my dad passed in April of 2003 and I know that feeling. He was retired Naval Air.

tailfins
04-16-2016, 12:04 PM
I remember the evening my dad passed away back in February of 1984. He fell down the stairs. When the paramedics arrived he told them "you can go now, I feel OK". Not 30 seconds later he dropped dead of a massive heart attack. He was a gruff, no-nonsense police officer. He didn't like to converse much either. He communicated with his actions. If I told him about almost any problem he would either fix it for me or tell me how to myself. Every time that I fix something mechanical, I remember him. Anyone who bothered me needed to be careful that they never had so much as a burned out taillight, go 2 MPH over the speed limit or let their grass reach even 12.5 inches tall.

Voted4Reagan
04-16-2016, 12:17 PM
I remember the evening my dad passed away back in February of 1984. He fell down the stairs. When the paramedics arrived he told them "you can go now, I feel OK". Not 30 seconds later he dropped dead of a massive heart attack. He was a gruff, no-nonsense police officer. He didn't like to converse much either. He communicated with his actions. If I told him about almost any problem he would either fix it for me or tell me how to myself. Every time that I fix something mechanical, I remember him. Anyone who bothered me needed to be careful that they never had so much as a burned out taillight, go 2 MPH over the speed limit or let their grass reach even 12.5 inches tall.

This isn't about you.... This is about WiccanLiberal and HER LOSS..

Stop trying to make everything about you.

tailfins
04-16-2016, 12:21 PM

I would if I could, but I can't so I ain't.

Voted4Reagan
04-16-2016, 02:05 PM
I would if I could, but I can't so I ain't.

Typical Aspie...

Gunny
04-16-2016, 02:26 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Bear in mind, I'm usually on TF's with my e-hammer and I respect the Hell out of Wiccan. But the only way we have to relate to someone else's loss is through our own. You put it on the board, people are going to respond. I'm taking nothing away from Wiccan but she loved her dad half as much as I did my grandfather, she was a lucky person and the loss doesn't go away. It's been 30 years and I still haven't forgiven him for deserting me. The rest of my family sucked and I wanted nothing to do with them and STILL have nothing to do with them.

I try to remember the times we had together. He was God to me. And don't think for a moment he didn't use that to his advantage. I was his apprentice and just young and dumb enough to not know it. :laugh: He got more work out of me than the Marine Corps did. :laugh:

But dammit, TF is trying to be human for once. Geez. Let him. Might be our only chance at this. He's usually a stick in the mud.

tailfins
04-16-2016, 02:57 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. Bear in mind, I'm usually on TF's with my e-hammer and I respect the Hell out of Wiccan. But the only way we have to relate to someone else's loss is through our own. You put it on the board, people are going to respond. I'm taking nothing away from Wiccan but she loved her dad half as much as I did my grandfather, she was a lucky person and the loss doesn't go away. It's been 30 years and I still haven't forgiven him for deserting me. The rest of my family sucked and I wanted nothing to do with them and STILL have nothing to do with them.

I try to remember the times we had together. He was God to me. And don't think for a moment he didn't use that to his advantage. I was his apprentice and just young and dumb enough to not know it. :laugh: He got more work out of me than the Marine Corps did. :laugh:

But dammit, TF is trying to be human for once. Geez. Let him. Might be our only chance at this. He's usually a stick in the mud.

Now you see why much of the time, I figure why bother. I have carefully constructed my life to function without social interaction. Social interaction is a luxury that's not all that important. I will give you one example where what was my insurance agent didn't send the pictures and certification numbers in for my coin collection to underwriting and I got a cancellation notice. To add to the incompetence, I specifically showed her all the information was publicly available and showed her links like this one, pointing out that the certification information matched this link: http://www.pcgs.com/cert/5741765 She was one of those "assertive" female types who would not accept being questioned. Rather than give her a call, I simply contacted the headquarters of the insurance company and changed agents. Problem solved: no fuss, no muss. Now the policy is in good standing.

WiccanLiberal
04-16-2016, 04:07 PM

V4R is only trying to make my life a little easier today. When I post I am fully aware that comments may appear from anyone. And death is truly a common experience for all of us. I am appreciative of the empathy I feel from my friends here. Right now watching the Mets play - a frequent shared activity with my Dad.

tailfins
04-16-2016, 04:15 PM
V4R is only trying to make my life a little easier today. When I post I am fully aware that comments may appear from anyone. And death is truly a common experience for all of us. I am appreciative of the empathy I feel from my friends here. Right now watching the Mets play - a frequent shared activity with my Dad.

This "empathy" business doesn't make much sense, but I can connect with your Mets experience when I do a mechanical repair. Like I said, I think of my dad when I repair something.

Gunny
04-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Now you see why much of the time, I figure why bother. I have carefully constructed my life to function without social interaction. Social interaction is a luxury that's not all that important. I will give you one example where what was my insurance agent didn't send the pictures and certification numbers in for my coin collection to underwriting and I got a cancellation notice. To add to the incompetence, I specifically showed her all the information was publicly available and showed her links like this one, pointing out that the certification information matched this link: http://www.pcgs.com/cert/5741765 She was one of those "assertive" female types who would not accept being questioned. Rather than give her a call, I simply contacted the headquarters of the insurance company and changed agents. Problem solved: no fuss, no muss. Now the policy is in good standing.

You sound like a Republican voter. It ALWAYS matters to someone. If I can reach one person with a message, the other 20 don't matter. And it goes right back to my post: my grandfather taught me that. It ain't all about just me.

You take things too personally. This is a personal topic, not about you nor your lousy choice of insurance agents. See how THAT works? The thread is about REAL loss, not you losing your damned money. I'd give up my pay for the rest of my life to have my grandparents back. Hell, I didn't have anything when I lived with them (and I AM the proverbial Southern kid with no shoes except on Sunday) so what I would I be missing?

The people I loved.

Gunny
04-16-2016, 04:23 PM

The Mets? You are a glutton for punishment, ma'am. :laugh:

I understand. I also understand v4r. I'm overprotective as Hell. Ask my daughter. My point was just my point. We can only relate to loss from something we lost. I am sorry for your loss. Been there a few times and I know how it feels. There's nothing and no way to explain it. All the words I could type isn't going to make it any better. I honestly think, minus his last dumbass post, TF was just trying to relate.

And not to get al philosophical or anything, just remember your dad's in a better place, no matter what you believe in. He will always be with you. He's as much a part of you as you are him.