PDA

View Full Version : Boat Polishing

NightTrain
04-16-2016, 08:22 AM
I decided to polish up my jet boat, since it's finally spring and it needed it. Running around exclusively in glacial fed rivers leaves a residue, and of course the aluminum is constantly oxidizing.

I'm not finished with it, but should be today... or maybe tomorrow - I find myself getting OCD about a small area that's just not quite as shiny as another. This was a LOT more work than I had anticipated, and I learned much from this project.

2/3 of the way on the 1st pass :

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8772&stc=1

Almost done on the 2nd pass :

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8773&stc=1

Interestingly, contrary to every YouTube video that I watched, a buffer isn't what gets it to shine. I'm not using a buffing compound, simply a bottle of 'metal shine' that I bought at the State Fair a couple years ago. I just take a few drops of it on a rag, rub it on an area, let it sit, rub it again, let it dry and then wipe it off.

When it's finished, the boat should look brand new... it already looks 100% better. Once I'm done with the polishing, I'll put the canvas on her - don't want to get any chemicals on that.

Oh yeah, and yesterday we took her out on Lake Lucille for the annual "How ya feeling this year?" shakedown cruise. She's purring like a kitten at idle and roaring like a lion at WOT! We're going past Sarah Palin's house on the lake in this pic, btw.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8774&stc=1

Voted4Reagan
04-16-2016, 08:37 AM
Where are the poles...If there are no poles on the boat it fails inspection

I will find some Poles for you....

Voted4Reagan
04-16-2016, 08:39 AM
http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20121119/634.MissUniverse.poland.mh.121912.jpg

NightTrain
04-16-2016, 09:02 AM

Yeah, I agree. On the shakedown cruise there isn't anything in the boat except tools - my rod holders are mounted on the doghouse so every time I look at the engine as we're testing they'd be a pain in the ass. No fishing on the agenda, which is probably the only time that event occurs!

And your 2nd version of a Pole would look very nice in the boat, too. :thumb:

NightTrain
04-16-2016, 04:40 PM
Done with the right side, that's as far as I'm going to take this.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8776&stc=1

Gunny
04-16-2016, 04:46 PM

I'm wondering how he has the nerve to call that thing a boat. :laugh2:

Elessar
04-16-2016, 04:49 PM
Whoa! Does not look like any Pole I ever owned!:laugh:

Gunny
04-16-2016, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I agree. On the shakedown cruise there isn't anything in the boat except tools - my rod holders are mounted on the doghouse so every time I look at the engine as we're testing they'd be a pain in the ass. No fishing on the agenda, which is probably the only time that event occurs!

And your 2nd version of a Pole would look very nice in the boat, too. :thumb:

No fishing? You voting for Sanders or what, commie? And where the hell do ride around in that little bathtub toy anyway?:poke:

Elessar
04-16-2016, 04:55 PM
Done with the right side, that's as far as I'm going to take this.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8776&stc=1

Aluminum hulls are a pain to maintain. You cannot really use too many harsh polishes on them because
they contain abrasives.

And trying to put a finishing coat of wax or sealer on is a slippery slope...once you start it,
you have to maintain it, just like painting one.

Gunny
04-16-2016, 05:07 PM
Aluminum hulls are a pain to maintain. You cannot really use too many harsh polishes on them because
they contain abrasives.

And trying to put a finishing coat of wax or sealer on is a slippery slope...once you start it,

Tell me he isn't just asking for it ... :laugh2: You got 2 coasties, a couple of squids and a jarhead on board here. I'd rather swim in deuce gear than hit 3 ft seas in that thing. Huckleberry's Finn's raft looks safer. :laugh2:

On the serious side (which is ruining my LMAO NightTrain mood), elessar is right. Aluminum sucks on a boat. I would use Mother's Gold. Been using it since it came out in the 80s. It's not abrasive and provides a form of defense. The sun won't clock your boat out. If your driving that in sea or brackish water ... be like Jim and his snowblower ... plan on a new one. :laugh:

NightTrain
04-16-2016, 05:08 PM
No fishing? You voting for Sanders or what, commie? And where the hell do ride around in that little bathtub toy anyway?:poke:

Hey, 300 HP in an 18' boat is nothing to sniff at! :slap:

It's a riverboat, designed to extremely maneuverable and fast. I can run in 3 inches of water without hitting bottom, although the jet may suck a few pieces of gravel through at that depth & full throttle... she moves a lot of water through the jet unit at WOT.

You've seen pics of the cabin... this boat plays almost exclusively on the Talkeetna River.

I'm probably going to upgrade to a 22' Thunderjet with a 502 Chevy in a year or two, but those are spendy... so I'm saving my pennies. ;) But I'll keep this one, just because it's amazing in the skinny water.

Gunny
04-16-2016, 05:15 PM
Hey, 300 HP in an 18' boat is nothing to sniff at! :slap:

It's a riverboat, designed to extremely maneuverable and fast. I can run in 3 inches of water without hitting bottom, although the jet may suck a few pieces of gravel through at that depth & full throttle... she moves a lot of water through the jet unit at WOT.

You've seen pics of the cabin... this boat plays almost exclusively on the Talkeetna River.

I'm probably going to upgrade to a 22' Thunderjet with a 502 Chevy in a year or two, but those are spendy... so I'm saving my pennies. ;) But I'll keep this one, just because it's amazing in the skinny water.

300 hp in an 18' boat? Did I forget to mention how brilliant you are? :laugh:

And I'm just giving you shit because you're breathing. I have NO idea what it's like to run a boat up there. My experience with them was in S FL and S TX. You run an aluminum boat in either of those places plan on it disintegrating within 3 years from the salt.

Otherwise you weenie, I couldn't even stand up in that thing without capsizing it. Lifeboats are bigger than that puny thing.

Elessar
04-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Tell me he isn't just asking for it ... :laugh2: You got 2 coasties, a couple of squids and a jarhead on board here. I'd rather swim in deuce gear than hit 3 ft seas in that thing. Huckleberry's Finn's raft looks safer. :laugh2:

On the serious side (which is ruining my LMAO @NightTrain (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=89) mood), elessar is right. Aluminum sucks on a boat. I would use Mother's Gold. Been using it since it came out in the 80s. It's not abrasive and provides a form of defense. The sun won't clock your boat out. If your driving that in sea or brackish water ... be like Jim and his snowblower ... plan on a new one. :laugh:

Our newer 47 ft Motor Lifeboats are aluminum hulled. The only painting is the CG Stripe.

The older and venerable 41 ft Utility boat was painted white, but the primer
coat used was found to be environmentally toxic..aluminum sulfate as I recall.

So the newer aluminum hulled boats are not painted.

NightTrain
04-16-2016, 05:23 PM
they contain abrasives.

Yeah, I'm not going to bother with waxing or sealing... I went overboard (!) on making it shiny, but once I started I couldn't help myself! Talk about a lot of work... whewwwww.

On the serious side (which is ruining my LMAO @NightTrain (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=89) mood), elessar is right. Aluminum sucks on a boat. I would use Mother's Gold. Been using it since it came out in the 80s. It's not abrasive and provides a form of defense. The sun won't clock your boat out. If your driving that in sea or brackish water ... be like Jim and his snowblower ... plan on a new one. :laugh:

The stuff I'm using is this :

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8777&stc=1

I tried a few other products, like Brasso and aluminum wheel cleaner and about 4 other ones that didn't do the trick... it ended up cloudy or left a white residue on it. I wanted SHINY, dammit!

...should have just went with the spray bottle that left it powder-coat white and I would have been done in 10 minutes.

Gunny
04-16-2016, 05:28 PM
Our newer 47 ft Motor Lifeboats are aluminum hulled. The only painting is the CG Stripe.

The older and venerable 41 ft Utility boat was painted white, but the primer
coat used was found to be environmentally toxic..aluminum sulfate as I recall.

So the newer aluminum hulled boats are not painted.

Y'all are spoiled. You get friggin' lifeboats. I get an LVT. You ever when stuck with 2 squads of jarheads and no breathing space? Crap. I wanted to hit the damned beach just to get away from f*ckers that never heard of Right Guard. Not to mention there's always that one MF-er that has gas.

Elessar
04-16-2016, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I'm not going to bother with waxing or sealing... I went overboard (!) on making it shiny, but once I started I couldn't help myself! Talk about a lot of work... whewwwww.

The stuff I'm using is this :

I tried a few other products, like Brasso and aluminum wheel cleaner and about 4 other ones that didn't do the trick... it ended up cloudy or left a white residue on it. I wanted SHINY, dammit!

...should have just went with the spray bottle that left it powder-coat white and I would have been done in 10 minutes.

Electrolysis causes most corrosion...just the motion of traveling
through the water, especially salt or brackish water.

Have you thought about mounting some zinc's on the hull and
outdrive? That will cut down on corrosive effects.

NightTrain
04-16-2016, 05:32 PM
300 hp in an 18' boat? Did I forget to mention how brilliant you are? :laugh:

And I'm just giving you shit because you're breathing. I have NO idea what it's like to run a boat up there. My experience with them was in S FL and S TX. You run an aluminum boat in either of those places plan on it disintegrating within 3 years from the salt.

Otherwise you weenie, I couldn't even stand up in that thing without capsizing it. Lifeboats are bigger than that puny thing.

I know, it's all good.

I've kicked around the idea of taking it out of Whittier into Prince William Sound because it's protected with hundreds of bays to run to & hide in if the weather kicks up... but I know that fooling around in the ocean in such a small boat is foolhardy. I'd be comfortable in a 30 footer or better, and that's a whole different species of boat.

Still... the idea of nabbing those monster Tiger shrimp and Halibut is awfully tempting.

NightTrain
04-16-2016, 05:37 PM

No, I haven't... and I can't believe that didn't occur to me. I don't know what kind of action the silt causes, but it has to create some.

Great idea! I'll order a couple of those. :thumb:

Elessar
04-16-2016, 05:41 PM
No, I haven't... and I can't believe that didn't occur to me. I don't know what kind of action the silt causes, but it has to create some.

Great idea! I'll order a couple of those. :thumb:

Check with a marine supply store. They may have something
that you could mount to both the outdrive and hull. Best place
on the hull is usually on the transom. Just make sure they are
are mounted under the waterline.

Gunny
04-16-2016, 05:49 PM

As previously mention, I'm the jarhead here? I know how to get on and off boats. I know how to drive them and clean them. Trust me I know how to swab a damned deck. You want to get get all scientifical on my ass, you're stuck on Gilligan's Island for more than a 3 hour tour if you're waiting on me to put one together. I can shoot holes in it pretty good though. :laugh:

Elessar
04-16-2016, 05:49 PM
Check with a marine supply store. They may have something
that you could mount to both the outdrive and hull. Best place
on the hull is usually on the transom. Just make sure they are
are mounted under the waterline.

Not sure if this link will help, but it is a start:

http://www.westmarine.com/stores/anchorage-ak-540

Elessar
04-16-2016, 05:51 PM
As previously mention, I'm the jarhead here? I know how to get on and off boats. I know how to drive them and clean them. Trust me I know how to swab a damned deck. You want to get get all scientifical on my ass, you're stuck on Gilligan's Island for more than a 3 hour tour if you're waiting on me to put one together. I can shoot holes in it pretty good though. :laugh:

Sometimes...you are completely amusing!:laugh:

Gunny
04-16-2016, 06:32 PM
Sometimes...you are completely amusing!:laugh:

Sometimes. I have a warped sense of humor. What I DON'T do is pretend I know what I'm talking about when I don't. You drive boats. I just go along for the ride. I don't tell you how to run your boats and if you tried to tell me how to shoot or hand to hand combat you'd probably get hurt. To quote Clint "Man's got to know his limitations". You wait on me to put a boat together and you can just plan on not going anywhere. I can't use a sewing machine either.

I honestly appreciate people that are good at what they do. I expect the same in return. But for some reason i f you say I can fight good or shoot your ass off everyone wants to attack. But I can appreciate what you know about boats and I'm the last person that wants to get into a fight. I'd rather know how to fix a boat than get into a fight that's going to cost someone something. That's why I loved being an electrician after I retired. I was just doing something good for someone. I even worked on a few of Carter's Habitats for Humanity jobs on my time.

I just wish people could and would accept their limitations. Be a much better world.

Elessar
04-16-2016, 06:51 PM
Sometimes. I have a warped sense of humor. What I DON'T do is pretend I know what I'm talking about when I don't.

I honestly appreciate people that are good at what they do.

I just wish people could and would accept their limitations. Be a much better world.

That is actually a great statement for a signature line.

NightTrain
04-16-2016, 06:55 PM

How are you at polishing boats? The left side ain't polishing itself!

And stay away from my boat with your firearm, or I'll take you crabbing.

NightTrain
04-16-2016, 06:57 PM
Not sure if this link will help, but it is a start:

http://www.westmarine.com/stores/anchorage-ak-540

Yep, I've dumped a fair amount of money at Westmarine... been trying to use patience in the last couple of years and order online to save a bunch of money.

But half the time I usually cave and drive to Anchorage to get that part that I need.

Elessar
04-16-2016, 07:06 PM
Yep, I've dumped a fair amount of money at Westmarine... been trying to use patience in the last couple of years and order online to save a bunch of money.

But half the time I usually cave and drive to Anchorage to get that part that I need.

Yeah...but those things you might have to size to match your boat.
Maybe on line they could help you.

I buy clothing from them often....pricey, but hold up better than Cabela's.

Gunny
04-16-2016, 08:40 PM
How are you at polishing boats? The left side ain't polishing itself!

And stay away from my boat with your firearm, or I'll take you crabbing.

I'm freezing my ass off where I am,, thanks, You take me crabbing it's going to be in the Carib. Screw this cold crap.

NightTrain
04-16-2016, 08:44 PM
I'm freezing my ass off where I am,, thanks, You take me crabbing it's going to be in the Carib. Screw this cold crap.

That must be a local thing, because no one outside of AK gets the joke.

If you were to commit the perfect crime, you'd take someone crabbing and put their body in a crab pot and drop it overboard. No way in hell anyone would find it and that crab pot would keep everything in one spot.

Gunny
04-16-2016, 08:49 PM
That must be a local thing, because no one outside of AK gets the joke.

If you were to commit the perfect crime, you'd take someone crabbing and put their body in a crab pot and drop it overboard. No way in hell anyone would find it and that crab pot would keep everything in one spot.

That makes perfect sense actually. :laugh2: I ain't diving in that freezing water looking for your dead ass. :laugh2:

NightTrain
04-16-2016, 08:55 PM
That makes perfect sense actually. :laugh2: I ain't diving in that freezing water looking for your dead ass. :laugh2:

Yeah, if you've ever watched The Deadliest Catch, you know that those pots weigh a lot and they'll hold up for a few hundred years down there in the murky depths.

And now that I've given our resident psychopaths ideas, beware of boat rides.

Gunny
04-16-2016, 09:17 PM
Yeah, if you've ever watched The Deadliest Catch, you know that those pots weigh a lot and they'll hold up for a few hundred years down there in the murky depths.

And now that I've given our resident psychopaths ideas, beware of boat rides.

I ain't too worried. Odds are I can swim better than any of you. And back in the day, a certain guy I used to know used to raid lobster traps. I know what they look like and how to get shot at for looking at them. :laugh2:

NightTrain
04-17-2016, 07:35 AM
I ain't too worried. Odds are I can swim better than any of you. And back in the day, a certain guy I used to know used to raid lobster traps. I know what they look like and how to get shot at for looking at them. :laugh2:

A Marine that can swim? Pffft!

Now raiding lobster pots... I'm generally against lawbreaking, but back in the day I knew a guy that would have helped your guy.

Gunny
04-17-2016, 08:03 AM
A Marine that can swim? Pffft!

Now raiding lobster pots... I'm generally against lawbreaking, but back in the day I knew a guy that would have helped your guy.

You're telling ME? No one bothered to mention to me Marines spend all their damned time on boats. I got more time in the water than you'll get in the next 40 years. I was lucky. As a kid, I lived at the base pool. Or in San Antonio, Medina Lake was my second home.

Weird thing about me is if I'm scared of something I WILL confront it. Used to be terrified of heights. Now do think I was going to puss out in front of a bunch of alpha males in a helicopter? That'll be the f-ing day. I was traumatized by my father about swimming so I mastered the sh*t. He was one of those old-school, throw you in the water types. Naturally, I STILL was not good enough.

Yeah, and I hear ya on the lobster pots but when you got the munchies ......:laugh:

NightTrain
04-17-2016, 08:27 AM
You're telling ME? No one bothered to mention to me Marines spend all their damned time on boats. I got more time in the water than you'll get in the next 40 years. I was lucky. As a kid, I lived at the base pool. Or in San Antonio, Medina Lake was my second home.

Weird thing about me is if I'm scared of something I WILL confront it. Used to be terrified of heights. Now do think I was going to puss out in front of a bunch of alpha males in a helicopter? That'll be the f-ing day. I was traumatized by my father about swimming so I mastered the sh*t. He was one of those old-school, throw you in the water types. Naturally, I STILL was not good enough.

Yeah, and I hear ya on the lobster pots but when you got the munchies ......:laugh:

Just screwing with you. I was a lifeguard in highschool, and the only male I knew that could vertically float indefinitely... I like swimming, but rarely do so anymore. I think the last time I did, I was launching myself out of the water as a snowmachine sank to the bottom behind me. Adrenaline Scissor Kick for the WIN! I probably generated a respectable rooster tail coming out of the water onto the ice on that one.

Weird thing about heights - I love flying, especially in helos, but ask me to climb a tower and I'll decline. I have faith in the wonderful machines, but not so much with the 3-point climb. I was probably a goon for the Clintons in a past life that mysteriously fell off a building.

Gunny
04-17-2016, 08:42 AM
Just screwing with you. I was a lifeguard in highschool, and the only male I knew that could vertically float indefinitely... I like swimming, but rarely do so anymore. I think the last time I did, I was launching myself out of the water as a snowmachine sank to the bottom behind me. Adrenaline Scissor Kick for the WIN! I probably generated a respectable rooster tail coming out of the water onto the ice on that one.

Weird thing about heights - I love flying, especially in helos, but ask me to climb a tower and I'll decline. I have faith in the wonderful machines, but not so much with the 3-point climb. I was probably a goon for the Clintons in a past life that mysteriously fell off a building.

I know you were. Two types of helo pilots, those that HAVE crashed, and those that WILL. Why you'd feel more safe on that than a solid structure beats me, Einstein. That thing drops power and at least under my circumstances. you're going swimming.

NightTrain
04-17-2016, 09:09 AM
I know you were. Two types of helo pilots, those that HAVE crashed, and those that WILL. Why you'd feel more safe on that than a solid structure beats me, Einstein. That thing drops power and at least under my circumstances. you're going swimming.

Autorotate, baby! And all the commercial helos we fly in have those inflatable floats on the skids for the dreaded water 'landing'. I asked our pilot once how fast the helo would turtle with those floats, and he snapped his fingers. 'Nuff said, but you can at least climb up onto the belly and wait for the next helo. :laugh:

There's no need for me to climb... we hire those guys. I get to stand on the ground and point at the antenna that's giving us problems and my laptop tells me when he gets it fixed. That's a win-win all the way around! :coffee:

Gunny
04-17-2016, 09:42 AM
Autorotate, baby! And all the commercial helos we fly in have those inflatable floats on the skids for the dreaded water 'landing'. I asked our pilot once how fast the helo would turtle with those floats, and he snapped his fingers. 'Nuff said, but you can at least climb up onto the belly and wait for the next helo. :laugh:

There's no need for me to climb... we hire those guys. I get to stand on the ground and point at the antenna that's giving us problems and my laptop tells me when he gets it fixed. That's a win-win all the way around! :coffee:

CH-46 Sea Knight. The difference between it and the Army's CH-47 Chinook is ours have pontoons. They'll float for about 10 minutes. That gives you enough time to dump your gear and get the f- out. I never got on one without at least 3 blades. The seatbelts always jammed. I was cutting my way out.

Other thing you have to worry about when it hits the drink is people panicking. You just hold your breath until all the idiots get done kicking everyone else in the head and then make your way out. Orientation is the other problem. Most people swim the wrong way. If the bird's upside down, down is up. The escape hatch doesn't change places. The way you swim when you get out DOES.