PDA

View Full Version : Scam phrases

tailfins
04-16-2016, 12:27 PM
I look at advertisements and watch for scam phrases:

1) Pennies a day (truthfully, the Federal budget is "just pennies a day")
2) Just minutes way (NY is "just minutes away" from LA)
3) As low as
4) Low monthly payment
5) Going out FOR business
6) With card

What are some that stand out for you?

Gunny
04-16-2016, 02:09 PM
I look at advertisements and watch for scam phrases:

1) Pennies a day (truthfully, the Federal budget is "just pennies a day")
2) Just minutes way (NY is "just minutes away" from LA)
3) As low as
4) Low monthly payment
5) Going out FOR business
6) With card

What are some that stand out for you?

I love the fact that everything on TV in the middle of the night costs $19.99. Plus whatever they have changed the name of shipping and handling to. I think they call it processing.

How about just an even $20? Because we're so stupid that $19.99 is less than $20. :rolleyes: What kills me is people fall for this crap. I think if my mother doesn't own the home Shopping Network by now she's missing a bet. :laugh:

Elessar
04-16-2016, 03:27 PM
"But Wait! There is More....."

Another scammer is Publisher's Clearing House.

And some of those ads in Sunday newspaper magazines offering
attractive collectibles? Sure, buy one and they keep trying to
send more.

Gunny
04-16-2016, 03:39 PM
"But Wait! There is More....."

Another scammer is Publisher's Clearing House.

And some of those ads in Sunday newspaper magazines offering
attractive collectibles? Sure, buy one and they keep trying to
send more.

Try using AVG as your supposed virus/bot detector. It's worse than having a virus. I can get rid of those. You ever go with AVG they won't STFU for going on years now.

tailfins
04-16-2016, 03:45 PM
How could anybody fall for this? It just screams "scam".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nhDpJz1ffE

Gunny
04-16-2016, 04:42 PM
How could anybody fall for this? It just screams "scam".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nhDpJz1ffE

The scam is mostly on poor people. They know you have x amount of money. Scamming wealthy people usually requires time and some sophistication. Car dealers have done this crap since the beginning of of the last century. Hell, I had one tell me to give him my wedding ring, in front of my ex, to show him good faith. Sure. I get your truck and to sleep on the couch, a-hole. :laugh: I don't think so, Tim.

There IS a difference between a scam and a deal though. My GF gets all pissed about the guy on Pawn Stars making a deal. He's not in freakin' business to lose money or just break even. I get the business end of the deals. Why I try to not buy vehicles or go to pawn shops.

tailfins
04-17-2016, 01:48 PM
The scam is mostly on poor people. They know you have x amount of money. Scamming wealthy people usually requires time and some sophistication. Car dealers have done this crap since the beginning of of the last century. Hell, I had one tell me to give him my wedding ring, in front of my ex, to show him good faith. Sure. I get your truck and to sleep on the couch, a-hole. :laugh: I don't think so, Tim.

There IS a difference between a scam and a deal though. My GF gets all pissed about the guy on Pawn Stars making a deal. He's not in freakin' business to lose money or just break even. I get the business end of the deals. Why I try to not buy vehicles or go to pawn shops.

The Pawn Stars guy doesn't show an interest in openly ripping people off. The Hard Core Pawn attitude stinks, he wants to make sure you have "Les Gold".