PDA

View Full Version : Terror victims win Supreme Court judgment against Iran

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-21-2016, 12:05 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/04/20/terror-victims-win-supreme-court-judgment-against-iran.html

Terror victims win Supreme Court judgment against Iran
Published April 20, 2016 Associated Press

The Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld a judgment allowing families of victims of the 1983 Marine barracks bombing in Beirut and other terrorist attacks to collect nearly $2 billion in frozen Iranian funds.

The court on Wednesday ruled 6-2 in favor of more than 1,300 relatives of the 241 U.S. service members who died in the Beirut bombing and victims of other attacks that courts have linked to Iran.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg wrote the opinion for the court rejecting efforts by Iran's central bank to try to stave off court orders that would allow the relatives to be paid for their losses. The money is sitting in a federal court trust account.

Rest at link.

Kathianne
04-21-2016, 06:25 PM
Same may happen with Saudi Arabia and 9/11, that is what those 28 pages from the report are about.

Gunny
04-21-2016, 08:51 PM
Terror victims win Supreme Court judgment against Iran
Published April 20, 2016 Associated Press

The Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld a judgment allowing families of victims of the 1983 Marine barracks bombing in Beirut and other terrorist attacks to collect nearly $2 billion in frozen Iranian funds.

The court on Wednesday ruled 6-2 in favor of more than 1,300 relatives of the 241 U.S. service members who died in the Beirut bombing and victims of other attacks that courts have linked to Iran.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg wrote the opinion for the court rejecting efforts by Iran's central bank to try to stave off court orders that would allow the relatives to be paid for their losses. The money is sitting in a federal court trust account.

Iran's Bank Markazi complained that Congress was intruding into the business of federal courts when it passed a 2012 law that specifically directs that the banks' assets in the United States be turned over to the families. President Barack Obama issued an executive order earlier in 2012 freezing the Iranian central bank's assets in the United States.
Related Image
FILE - In this Oct. 23, 1983 file photo, the aftermath of the bombing of the U.S. Marines barracks in Beirut, Lebanon. The Supreme Court upheld a judgment allowing families of victims of Iranian-sponsored terrorism to collect nearly $2 billion. The court on Wednesday, April 20, 2016, ruled 6-2 in favor of relatives of the 241 Marines who died in a 1983 terrorist attack in Beirut and victims of other attacks that courts have linked to Iran.(AP Photo/Jim Bourdier, File) Expand / Contract

In this Oct. 23, 1983 file photo, the aftermath of the bombing of the U.S. Marines barracks in Beirut, Lebanon. (AP)

The law, Ginsburg wrote, "does not transgress restraints placed on Congress and the president by the Constitution."

Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Sonia Sotomayor dissented. "The authority of the political branches is sufficient; they have no need to seize ours," Roberts wrote.

The decision comes as controversy swirls over pending legislation in Congress that would allow families of the Sept. 11 attacks to hold the government of Saudi Arabia liable in U.S. court. The Obama administration opposes the bill. President Barack Obama met with King Salman in Riyadh Wednesday at the start of a brief trip to the country.

Congress has repeatedly changed the law in the past 20 years to make it easier for victims to sue over state-sponsored terrorism; federal courts have awarded the victims billions of dollars. But Iran has refused to comply with the judgments, leading lawyers to hunt for Iranian assets in the United States.

The Supreme Court case involved $1.75 billion in bonds, plus accumulating interest, owned by the Iranian bank and held by Citibank in New York.

The plaintiffs in the lawsuit included relatives of the victims of the Marine barracks bombing in Beirut, the 1996 terrorist bombing of the Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia which killed 19 service members, and other attacks that were carried out by groups with links to Iran. The lead plaintiff is Deborah Peterson, whose brother, Lance Cpl. James C. Knipple, was killed in Beirut.

"We are extremely pleased with the Supreme Court's decision, which will bring long-overdue relief to more than 1,000 victims of Iranian terrorism and their families, many of whom have waited decades for redress," said Theodore Olson, the former Bush administration Justice Department official who argued on behalf of the families at the Supreme Court.

Liberal Democrats and conservative Republicans in Congress, as well as the Obama administration, supported the families in the case.

The case is Bank Markazi v. Peterson, 14-770.

I hope they get it. I knew several of those Marines. Might have been nice to get off your ass and give it to them sooner. Their were some poor moms out there raising kids and now they're so old who cares? They needed the money THEN.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-21-2016, 08:56 PM
I hope they get it. I knew several of those Marines. Might have been nice to get off your ass and give it to them sooner. Their were some poor moms out there raising kids and now they're so old who cares? They needed the money THEN.

They needed the money THEN.

Sad that its coming so late but -- "better late than never"--my dad said that to me a lot..-Tyr

Gunny
04-21-2016, 09:31 PM
Sad that its coming so late but -- "better late than never"--my dad said that to me a lot..-Tyr

I know from being a single parent, you give me that money NOW and I'm going shopping. I also remember having to count every cent and every meal to keep my daughter fed and clothed. I needed it THEN. Now? Odds are good I'll just blow it. Then? I had to make every last penny work. I can recall stressing so bad over how I was going to stretch my check I'd have it all written out.

It took since I was a Cpl to settle this lawsuit? Screw them MF-ers. They wait until everyone's too old or dead to pay up. Explain that to LCpl Nava. He had a baby with Down's syndrome and asked to be given a humanitarian transfer and they said no. Explain it to TG Lamb who was my bunky in boot camp and couldn't do shit. He made Private Pyle look a genius. He shouldn't have even been there.

And if you can see the bitterness dripping off this post? Go for it.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-22-2016, 05:10 AM
I know from being a single parent, you give me that money NOW and I'm going shopping. I also remember having to count every cent and every meal to keep my daughter fed and clothed. I needed it THEN. Now? Odds are good I'll just blow it. Then? I had to make every last penny work. I can recall stressing so bad over how I was going to stretch my check I'd have it all written out.

It took since I was a Cpl to settle this lawsuit? Screw them MF-ers. They wait until everyone's too old or dead to pay up. Explain that to LCpl Nava. He had a baby with Down's syndrome and asked to be given a humanitarian transfer and they said no. Explain it to TG Lamb who was my bunky in boot camp and couldn't do shit. He made Private Pyle look a genius. He shouldn't have even been there.

And if you can see the bitterness dripping off this post? Go for it.

I agree with you one hundred percent.
Lousy politicians did their usual thing which was look only after themselves.
When this nation was first founded being a politician was a civic duty and a public service, not a lifelong career that is
entered into to become a millionaire as has Reid and so many others.
Such financial gain clearly points to graft/corruption but the dems are for the most part immune from prosecution because
in their party its an established way of life.

My dad had another saying that applies here methinks --"too little too late is rarely ever a good thing."-Tyr