PDA

View Full Version : Sex Ed for Kindergarteners 'Right Thing to Do,' Says Obama

stephanie
07-19-2007, 12:28 AM
:poke:
SNIP:
July 18, 2007 1:13 PM

ABC News' Teddy Davis and Lindsey Ellerson Report: Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., told Planned Parenthood Tuesday that sex education for kindergarteners, as long as it is "age-appropriate," is "the right thing to do."

"I remember Alan Keyes . . . I remember him using this in his campaign against me," Obama said in reference to the conservative firebrand who ran against him for the U.S. Senate in 2004. Sex education for kindergarteners had become an issue in his race against Keyes because of Obama’s work on the issue as chairman of the health committee in the Illinois state Senate.

"'Barack Obama supports teaching sex education to kindergarteners,'" said Obama mimicking Keyes' distinctive style of speech. "Which -- I didn’t know what to tell him (laughter)."

"But it’s the right thing to do," Obama continued, "to provide age-appropriate sex education, science-based sex education in schools."

Watch the video:
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3386492

Speaking to a young woman who asked a question about sex education, Obama said, "You, as a peer, can have enormous power over your age cohort but you’ve got to have some support from the schools. You certainly should not have to be fighting each and every instance by providing accurate information outside of the classroom because inside the classroom the only thing that can be talked about is abstinence."

"Keep in mind: I honor and respect young people who choose to delay sexual activity," Obama continued. "I’ve got two daughters, and I want them to understand that sex is not something casual. That's something that we definitely want to communicate and should be part of any curriculum. But we also know that when the statistics tell us that nearly half of 15 to 19 year olds are engaging in sexual activity, that for us to leave them in ignorance is potentially consigning them to illness, pregnancy, poverty, and in some cases, death."

the rest of the article and some interesting comments at....
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/07/sex-ed-for-kind.html

nevadamedic
07-19-2007, 12:34 AM
SNIP:

ABC News' Teddy Davis and Lindsey Ellerson Report: Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., told Planned Parenthood Tuesday that sex education for kindergarteners, as long as it is "age-appropriate," is "the right thing to do."

"I remember Alan Keyes . . . I remember him using this in his campaign against me," Obama said in reference to the conservative firebrand who ran against him for the U.S. Senate in 2004. Sex education for kindergarteners had become an issue in his race against Keyes because of Obama’s work on the issue as chairman of the health committee in the Illinois state Senate.

"'Barack Obama supports teaching sex education to kindergarteners,'" said Obama mimicking Keyes' distinctive style of speech. "Which -- I didn’t know what to tell him (laughter)."

"But it’s the right thing to do," Obama continued, "to provide age-appropriate sex education, science-based sex education in schools."

Watch the video:
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=3386492

Speaking to a young woman who asked a question about sex education, Obama said, "You, as a peer, can have enormous power over your age cohort but you’ve got to have some support from the schools. You certainly should not have to be fighting each and every instance by providing accurate information outside of the classroom because inside the classroom the only thing that can be talked about is abstinence."

"Keep in mind: I honor and respect young people who choose to delay sexual activity," Obama continued. "I’ve got two daughters, and I want them to understand that sex is not something casual. That's something that we definitely want to communicate and should be part of any curriculum. But we also know that when the statistics tell us that nearly half of 15 to 19 year olds are engaging in sexual activity, that for us to leave them in ignorance is potentially consigning them to illness, pregnancy, poverty, and in some cases, death."

the rest of the article and some interesting comments at....
http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalradar/2007/07/sex-ed-for-kind.html

Obama is one sick SOB. If I had a kid in Kindergarten and there was sex ed in it I would pull them out of it and home school them. Fuck Obama, that son of a bitch has no business holding any public office what so ever.

waterrescuedude2000
07-19-2007, 12:48 AM
Obama is one sick SOB. If I had a kid in Kindergarten and there was sex ed in it I would pull them out of it and home school them. Fuck Obama, that son of a bitch has no business holding any public office what so ever.

Just another liberal that needs to be removed from any kind of office. This clown is trying to run for President?? What a joke. Obama Bin Laden is :lame2:

nevadamedic
07-19-2007, 01:01 AM
Just another liberal that needs to be removed from any kind of office. This clown is trying to run for President?? What a joke. Obama Bin Laden is :lame2:

Fuck him.

waterrescuedude2000
07-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Fuck him.

Thank You! I agree

nevadamedic
07-19-2007, 01:52 AM
Thank You! I agree

:pee: On Obama, actually he probably like's the golden shower.

glockmail
07-19-2007, 06:22 AM
SNIP:

I knew a guy in Upstae NY who told the school sex-ed teacher that if she put a condom on a banana in front of her kids he would come to her house and shoot her in the head.

darin
07-19-2007, 08:45 AM
I knew a guy in Upstae NY who told the school sex-ed teacher that if she put a condom on a banana in front of her kids he would come to her house and shoot her in the head.

That may be "the right thing to do." :)

glockmail
07-19-2007, 10:02 AM
That may be "the right thing to do." :) As I recall it was pretty effective.

Hagbard Celine
07-19-2007, 10:15 AM
As I recall it was pretty effective.

I hope she reported that crazy bastard to the police.

glockmail
07-19-2007, 10:48 AM
I hope she reported that crazy bastard to the police. Report what? He'd just deny it.

Abbey Marie
07-19-2007, 11:01 AM

That may have been his version of "turn it off if you don't like what's showing".

Abbey Marie
07-19-2007, 11:04 AM
As for Obama, he's a lib. Why would you expect anything else?

glockmail
07-19-2007, 11:44 AM
That may have been his version of "turn it off if you don't like what's showing". I agree parents should have that right.

GW in Ohio
07-19-2007, 11:57 AM

Hey, it's not a big deal. You can do it in the school cafeteria at lunchtime.

When the kid pulls a banana out of his Krusty the Klown lunchbox, you show him how to put a condom on, using the banana.

The girls will find it useful information, too.

Trigg
07-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey, it's not a big deal. You can do it in the school cafeteria at lunchtime.

When the kid pulls a banana out of his Krusty the Klown lunchbox, you show him how to put a condom on, using the banana.

The girls will find it useful information, too.

Ok, your being flip here. But, do you support teaching sex education at such a young age. REALLY, answer the question.

Do you have children and would you support this??????????????????

I have a son entering kindergarten this year and I would be extremely upset if this was being taught. He has NO IDEA what sex is and doesn't care.

waterrescuedude2000
07-19-2007, 08:09 PM
I wouldnt have my kids there at all

nevadamedic
07-19-2007, 08:39 PM
As for Obama, he's a lib. Why would you expect anything else?

I thought you were an Obama suporter! :laugh2:

nevadamedic
07-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Why???? Thats what id like to know. I mean i know some of my views are considered extreme but still

Word of advice, don't question staff on a thread take it to a pm............

JohnDoe
07-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Word of advice, don't question staff on a thread take it to a pm............

Age Appropriate.

What does this mean?

Teaching 5 year olds that adult friends or strangers should never touch their peepees???

That babies come from mommies and not storks???

nevadamedic
07-19-2007, 09:26 PM
Age Appropriate.

What does this mean?

Teaching 5 year olds that adult friends or strangers should never touch their peepees???

That babies come from mommies and not storks???

While your at it why not show them how to put a condoms and other birth control items on and showthem pictures of naked people of the opposite sex. :lame2:

JohnDoe
07-19-2007, 09:43 PM
While your at it why not show them how to put a condoms and other birth control items on and showthem pictures of naked people of the opposite sex. :lame2:

Oh I see now what all the commotion is about...

YOU think or you want us to think that Obama was talking about putting on a condom correctly as "age appropriate sex education" for 5 year olds?

You guys all sound like a bunch of hateful people throwing out hateful accusations, that you KNOW are not true, just so you can have your hateful circle jerk with yourselves, discussing your favorite topic of how TERRIBLE liburals are....

Is it really that much fun to hold so much hatered inside for your fellow Americans?

What ever happened to the Golden Rule that you all should be following as believers that you claim you are....?

Missileman
07-19-2007, 09:48 PM

That is a prime example of non-age-appropriate.

JD asked the same question that I was thinking while reading this thread. There isn't a damn thing wrong with telling 5-year-olds what inappropriate adult contact is and how to respond to it. Anything beyond that is outside their "need to know" range.

Trinity
07-20-2007, 08:09 AM
First off I don't believe it is the schools responsibilities or should be to teach children anything about sex, that is the parent's job.

Second if you wait to start talking to your child about sex assuming that the right age is say 12 or 13 your wrong........

My 11 year old son came to me when he was 7 we had never discussed sex nor had he watched anything that was not age appropriate on TV or Movies. I was really strict about what they watched.

Anyway my 7 year old hops up in my lap one day and says mom whats sex? well needless to say I about had a coronary. so Instead of answering him right away because I didn't want to give him information he might not be ready for I asked him what do you think it is? Well he proceeded in telling me what sex was. I was blown away my 7 year old child who was never exposed to this type of activity knew what it was. How? I guess it doesn't really matter at that point. he knows. So I let him ask questions and I answered them without elaborating on things because he was asking direct questions and did not need details at that time because of his young age.

Now my 7 year old is a 11 year old boy who is heading into Middle School since that time he has come to me on many occasions about different things concerning sex. I have been open and honest with him and he probably knows just about everything minus a few graphic details there is. We have discussed sex, masturbation, condoms, girls, love, marriage, pregnancy and I must say he appreciates the fact that I have been open with him he knows that if he needs to discuss something he has heard from a kid at school or something he might have seen he can come to me and ask, he is not embarrassed at all, there have been a few times during dinner that he would bust out with something like so and so said something about rim job at school today. What is that?

Now your probably wondering what is my sons attitude about sex?
He says he wants to wait till he finds that special girl, when he is older that he can marry, and then he will have sex. :clap: yeah I think I did something right!

nevadamedic
07-20-2007, 06:57 PM
First off I don't believe it is the schools responsibilities or should be to teach children anything about sex, that is the parent's job.

Second if you wait to start talking to your child about sex assuming that the right age is say 12 or 13 your wrong........

My 11 year old son came to me when he was 7 we had never discussed sex nor had he watched anything that was not age appropriate on TV or Movies. I was really strict about what they watched.

Anyway my 7 year old hops up in my lap one day and says mom whats sex? well needless to say I about had a coronary. so Instead of answering him right away because I didn't want to give him information he might not be ready for I asked him what do you think it is? Well he proceeded in telling me what sex was. I was blown away my 7 year old child who was never exposed to this type of activity knew what it was. How? I guess it doesn't really matter at that point. he knows. So I let him ask questions and I answered them without elaborating on things because he was asking direct questions and did not need details at that time because of his young age.

Now my 7 year old is a 11 year old boy who is heading into Middle School since that time he has come to me on many occasions about different things concerning sex. I have been open and honest with him and he probably knows just about everything minus a few graphic details there is. We have discussed sex, masturbation, condoms, girls, love, marriage, pregnancy and I must say he appreciates the fact that I have been open with him he knows that if he needs to discuss something he has heard from a kid at school or something he might have seen he can come to me and ask, he is not embarrassed at all, there have been a few times during dinner that he would bust out with something like so and so said something about rim job at school today. What is that?

He says he wants to wait till he finds that special girl, when he is older that he can marry, and then he will have sex. :clap: yeah I think I did something right!

Yea until he comes in and says mom we need to talk.......How do you feel about being a grandma? :laugh2:

Trinity
07-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Yea until he comes in and says mom we need to talk.......How do you feel about being a grandma? :laugh2:

umm I'd kick his little ass!!!! :laugh2: but no seriously we have discussed the use of condoms and he knows if he thinks he may need them I have no problem with getting him some.

nevadamedic
07-20-2007, 08:23 PM
umm I'd kick his little ass!!!! :laugh2: but no seriously we have discussed the use of condoms and he knows if he thinks he may need them I have no problem with getting him some.

That's a conversation I am dreading having with my daughter. I became a dad at 17 and condoms don't always work.

nevadamedic
07-20-2007, 08:24 PM

And hopefully he doesn't think he needs them for several more years!

Trinity
07-21-2007, 09:29 AM
And hopefully he doesn't think he needs them for several more years!

he is not allowed to need them until he is at least 18 :laugh2: yeah right I know better I was a teen once. But on the more serious side he has a good head on his shoulders hopefully he remembers all of our conversations so that he does make good choices.

I think the key though is just talking to them all the time it's not just a one time deal where you say ok here's the facts of life and never discuss it again.

We discuss different aspects of it quite often, for instance he came home from school the end of this past school year (now keep in mind this was 5th grade and 5th graders we were discussing.) and told me Mom, my school is sick! I was like why do you say that? he said do you remember so and so (boy) from my basketball team and so and so (girl) from school? I said yeah. He said well this other kid told me that this boy and girl had sex and this other kid took pictures with a camera phone. I said really! Then I asked him if he saw the pictures? he told me no. I then explained to him that you can not believe anything you hear and only about 75% of what you see. He was like why? I told him because most of the time people make things up about other people and most of the things you see are not what you think they are. But that got us back on the subject of sex again.

Trinity
07-21-2007, 09:30 AM
That's a conversation I am dreading having with my daughter. I became a dad at 17 and condoms don't always work.

That's true, maybe I'll buy him some female contraceptive foam too!:laugh2: Just in case!

How old is your daughter?

JohnDoe
07-21-2007, 10:12 AM

Until he hits puberty, the excess hormones are overwhelming, he won't be thinking straight unless you continue even more fervently on the path you are obviously on...with an opened relationship with your son!

Sounds like you are a fine Mother and doing a GREAT job!

Good Luck with Puberty though....

Pale Rider
07-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Teaching kindergartners about sex would be like teaching an autistic class rocket science. They have absolutely no comprehension what the hell they'd be talking about. I think it's sick.

And show me a condom that will "FIT" a kindergartner, and I'll show you a gag.

Missileman
07-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Teaching kindergartners about sex would be like teaching an autistic class rocket science. They have absolutely no comprehension what the hell they'd be talking about. I think it's sick.

And show me a condom that will "FIT" a kindergartner, and I'll show you a gag.

This is how stories of pure bullshit get started. They aren't teaching 5-year-olds about how to use a condom.

Pale Rider
07-21-2007, 12:46 PM
This is how stories of pure bullshit get started. They aren't teaching 5-year-olds about how to use a condom.

I didn't say they were, but in any case, how the FUCK do you know they AREN'T?

waterrescuedude2000
07-21-2007, 12:58 PM
How do you know what they are teaching? I mean my mom teaches at an elementary school ill have to ask her what they teach them. Cause god knows at my moms school they need to. There was an 11 year old who had a kid at my moms school. Yes I kid you not. And one of the schools students has been arrested for solicitation of prostitution. Pretty sad if ya ask me.

Missileman
07-21-2007, 01:13 PM
I didn't say they were, but in any case, how the FUCK do you know they AREN'T?

Because the idea is too ridiculous to be feasible to anyone with at least a shred of sense.

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Because the idea is too ridiculous to be feasible to anyone with at least a shred of sense.

I don't mean to sound rude, MM, but I think even the mere thought of teaching sexual education in ANY form to a kindergartner is ridiculous, and done so without any sense.

nevadamedic
07-21-2007, 03:25 PM
How do you know what they are teaching? I mean my mom teaches at an elementary school ill have to ask her what they teach them. Cause god knows at my moms school they need to. There was an 11 year old who had a kid at my moms school. Yes I kid you not. And one of the schools students has been arrested for solicitation of prostitution. Pretty sad if ya ask me.

Didn't your mom teach you hands on though? :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

nevadamedic
07-21-2007, 03:37 PM
That's true, maybe I'll buy him some female contraceptive foam too!:laugh2: Just in case!

How old is your daughter?

Grandma Trinity, it has a nice ring to it! :laugh2:

She's 9 will be 10 in about a week.

waterrescuedude2000
07-21-2007, 04:13 PM
Didn't your mom teach you hands on though? :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

But thanks anyways I'll have to pass

07-21-2007, 04:25 PM

so is the idea of teachers sleeping with students.... And liberalism being right.

Missileman
07-21-2007, 05:33 PM
I don't mean to sound rude, MM, but I think even the mere thought of teaching sexual education in ANY form to a kindergartner is ridiculous, and done so without any sense.

Post #23

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Post #23

That is a prime example of non-age-appropriate.

JD asked the same question that I was thinking while reading this thread. There isn't a damn thing wrong with telling 5-year-olds what inappropriate adult contact is and how to respond to it. Anything beyond that is outside their "need to know" range.

There may be nothing wrong with teaching a child what "inappropriate" contact is, but it should be done by parents, IMO. I don't think teachers should be gathering a bunch of children together and discussing such matters. If I found out a teacher was discussing ANYTHING sexual with my son, and he's now in 2nd grade, they'd get a well deserved beating from me.

Missileman
07-21-2007, 06:23 PM
There may be nothing wrong with teaching a child what "inappropriate" contact is, but it should be done by parents, IMO. I don't think teachers should be gathering a bunch of children together and discussing such matters. If I found out a teacher was discussing ANYTHING sexual with my son, and he's now in 2nd grade, they'd get a well deserved beating from me.

I can't believe that you would be upset if someone gave your child information that might prevent them from being molested... or worse.

Trinity
07-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Grandma Trinity, it has a nice ring to it! :laugh2:

She's 9 will be 10 in about a week.

Grandma Trinity NOT!

hmm might want to start thinking about that conversation. so you don't become Grandpa nevedamedic:laugh2:

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 06:27 PM
I can't believe that you would be upset if someone gave your child information that might prevent them from being molested... or worse.

My child already gets taught the proper and appropriate things at home, by his parents.

Trinity
07-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Until he hits puberty, the excess hormones are overwhelming, he won't be thinking straight unless you continue even more fervently on the path you are obviously on...with an opened relationship with your son!

Sounds like you are a fine Mother and doing a GREAT job!

Good Luck with Puberty though....

Thanks I'm going to need it!

Missileman
07-21-2007, 06:43 PM
My child already gets taught the proper and appropriate things at home, by his parents.

I'm going to assume you've told your child about what I was talking about in post 23. If that's the case, then the worst thing I'm advocating is a repeat of the same thing you've already told him/her.

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 07:01 PM
I'm going to assume you've told your child about what I was talking about in post 23. If that's the case, then the worst thing I'm advocating is a repeat of the same thing you've already told him/her.

Whether repeating or not, I don't believe it's a teachers place to educate my son on such things. He'll get more than enough reinforcement at home. There's a big difference between my son hearing "adult" things from his parents, and him hearing them in school.

Now, if the school offered an optional night time conference, with parents invited, then I might think about attending with him.

nevadamedic
07-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Grandma Trinity NOT!

hmm might want to start thinking about that conversation. so you don't become Grandpa nevedamedic:laugh2:

Nope, she already knows that she can't even talk to boy's until im dead. Then the little smartass asked since she couldn't have a boyfriend could she have a g/f, I am going to have problems with her I know it. :laugh2:

Trinity
07-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Nope, she already knows that she can't even talk to boy's until im dead. Then the little smartass asked since she couldn't have a boyfriend could she have a g/f, I am going to have problems with her I know it. :laugh2:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::l augh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Oh shit that was funny! kids what do you do!

I would have repped you for that one but i have to spread it around first.

nevadamedic
07-22-2007, 09:23 PM
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::l augh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Oh shit that was funny! kids what do you do!

I would have repped you for that one but i have to spread it around first.

That's ok, it's the thought that count's ;)