PDA

View Full Version : Old friends

Abbey Marie
04-21-2016, 04:21 PM
I saw someone reading an old thread about our former member/friend Merlin. It made me think with melancholy of all the people I knew from this board and "the old board" who are no longer here, or no longer here, period.

Some of us thank goodness are still here.
As the saying goes, here's to us, and those like us. Damn few left.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BPTOY8FrvNw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

fj1200
04-21-2016, 04:41 PM
Interesting in that Simon and Garfunkel apparently don't talk to each other.

Kathianne
04-21-2016, 06:10 PM
That makes me a bit blue, thanks Abbey. ;)

On a more positive note, how many still have friendships that go back decades?

My first and still best friend 59 years.
Two friends 47 years.
My other tie for best friend 46 years.
The friend I first lived with in AZ 16 years.

Now I've had other friends that have come and gone, but these have been consistent contact and we'd kill for each other. LOL!

Gunny
04-21-2016, 06:28 PM

Two friends 47 years.

Now I've had other friends that have come and gone, but these have been consistent contact and we'd kill for each other. LOL!

I'd say you're lucky. Not to mention older than me. Anyone 59 years older than me knew my mom as a sophomore. :laugh:

BUT ... I have zero friends from childhood. Military brats don't have that luxury. You move and your new "friend" is the kid next door. I've known people on this board longer than I have anyone in my life.

And I can't say what the answer is. I've been EVERYWHERE. More places than Johnny Cash. :laugh: At the same time, the only people I've known all my life are my family. It's one of those give and take things, I guess. I don't have to listen to anyone tell me I was a-hole at 5 years old except my brother. My former GF lives within 5 miles of where she was born. How boring.

And Kathianne , your friendships lasted longer than either of my marriages. :laugh2:

Kathianne
04-21-2016, 06:31 PM
I'd say you're lucky. Not to mention older than me. Anyone 59 years older than me knew my mom as a sophomore. :laugh:

BUT ... I have zero friends from childhood. Military brats don't have that luxury. You move and your new "friend" is the kid next door. I've known people on this board longer than I have anyone in my life.

And I can't say what the answer is. I've been EVERYWHERE. More places than Johnny Cash. :laugh: At the same time, the only people I've known all my life are my family. It's one of those give and take things, I guess. I don't have to listen to anyone tell me I was a-hole at 5 years old except my brother. My former GF lives within 5 miles of where she was born. How boring.

And @Kathianne (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=8) , your friendships lasted longer than either of my marriages. :laugh2:

I am NOT 59 years older than you! LOL!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-21-2016, 07:02 PM
I am NOT 59 years older than you! LOL!

VAST MAJORITY OF MY OLD FRIENDS ARE NOW DEAD..
I AM 62 NOW AND MOST OF MY FRIENDS WERE OLDER THAN ME.
Those same age or younger were as WILD/CRAZY AS I WAS BACK THEN AND MOST OF THEM DIED YOUNG.
FAR TOO MANY OVERDOSED, SUICIDE, SHOT ,CAR WRECKS AND OTHERS DIED BY AGE 40/50 DUE TO EFFECTS OF DRUGS ON DESTROYING THEIR BODIES.
I HAVE THREE FRIENDS ALIVE THAT ARE FRIENDS OVER 4O YEARS NOW, THE OTHERS OF THAT LENGTH ARE ALL LONG GONE.
I HAD FOUR UP UNTIL MIKE CROWE DIED BACK IN NOVEMBER 2015.

I RAN WITH A ROUGH CROWD , FROM AGE 15 UP TO 35.
NOT A DAMN ONE OF THEM ANGELS ...... -TYR

Kathianne
04-21-2016, 07:19 PM
Those same age or younger were as WILD/CRAZY AS I WAS BACK THEN AND MOST OF THEM DIED YOUNG.
FAR TOO MANY OVERDOSED, SUICIDE, SHOT ,CAR WRECKS AND OTHERS DIED BY AGE 40/50 DUE TO EFFECTS OF DRUGS ON DESTROYING THEIR BODIES.
I HAVE THREE FRIENDS ALIVE THAT ARE FRIENDS OVER 4O YEARS NOW, THE OTHERS OF THAT LENGTH ARE ALL LONG GONE.

Shockingly most of my friends were pretty good, though not angels. ;)

Gunny
04-21-2016, 07:24 PM

Heard THAT. Word. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
04-21-2016, 07:40 PM
Interesting in that Simon and Garfunkel apparently don't talk to each other.

I'd heard that they had problems pretty early on. Garfunkel preferred to spend his time acting, and Simon was a perfectionist about his music. Clash!

Abbey Marie
04-21-2016, 07:42 PM

Two friends 47 years.

I moved around too much to maintain those. Plus my childhood Bronxy friends didn't go to college. That caused a divide, unfortunately. You are fortunate!

Gunny
04-21-2016, 07:43 PM
I'd heard that they had problems pretty early on. Garfunkel preferred to spend his time acting, and Simon was a perfectionist about his music. Clash!

Garfunkel acted in something? Gee, THAT career zoomed. :laugh: I didn't even know what gay was back then and I knew he was gay. :laugh:

Voted4Reagan
04-21-2016, 08:31 PM
I miss having Marcus Aurelius around...

That Dumbass up and left us....

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
04-21-2016, 08:36 PM
I miss having Marcus Aurelius around...

That Dumbass up and left us....

Don't blame me, I practically begged him to stay...
And I don't do such as that very often..--Tyr

Black Diamond
04-21-2016, 08:37 PM
Where's that Prius driving Jeff?

Gunny
04-21-2016, 08:41 PM
Where's that Prius driving Jeff?

There's a no sh*tter Jeff. What a weak link. No wonder Jim throws him under the bus. Of course, he can probably drive that Prius under it. :laugh:

Black Diamond
04-21-2016, 09:49 PM
And where is long term guy?

Voted4Reagan
04-21-2016, 10:44 PM
And where is long term guy?

He posted a week ago

Black Diamond
04-21-2016, 10:56 PM
He posted a week ago

Yeah but he used to live in here full time. :cool:

darin
04-22-2016, 12:34 AM
Hobbit is a brilliant guy. And of course, SPIKESMYGOD - that dude.

I haven't seen Avatar4321 much lately.

Voted4Reagan
04-22-2016, 06:31 AM
Hobbit is a brilliant guy. And of course, SPIKESMYGOD - that dude.

I haven't seen Avatar4321 much lately.

Last post for Avatar was July 6th, 2015

SpikesMyGod - Not even on Members List

Hobbit - Not on since February of 2009

Kathianne
04-22-2016, 06:45 AM
Many of us go back a lonnngggg way. D, I think I remember reading that Spikesmygod passed away. May have been on other board.

darin
04-22-2016, 06:51 AM
Indeed - Spikes was on USMB. And yes, He died.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?34615-Remember-SPIKESMYGOD

NightTrain
04-22-2016, 07:06 AM
I guess my oldest friend that I have is Karl... he lived across the street from my Grandparents in '87 here in Wasilla. He saw my Dad and I removing a cracked head from a car and, being an awesome mechanic, wandered over to see what we were doing and helped out like a good neighbor. 29 years worth and counting and we've been through some hairy situations, divorces, deaths and uncountable shenanigans together.

I have lots of acquaintances, but people I consider actual friends are few.

jimnyc
04-22-2016, 07:07 AM
Damn, Gunny thinks Kath is like 120 years old! :lol:

jimnyc
04-22-2016, 07:09 AM
I could make a list of 100 people, from the old joint and this one, that I miss.

I miss all those mentioned already.

I miss recently LongTermGuy and Perianne.

Kathianne
04-22-2016, 07:09 AM
I guess my oldest friend that I have is Karl... he lived across the street from my Grandparents in '87 here in Wasilla. He saw my Dad and I removing a cracked head from a car and, being an awesome mechanic, wandered over to see what we were doing and helped out like a good neighbor. 29 years worth and counting and we've been through some hairy situations, divorces, deaths and uncountable shenanigans together.

I have lots of acquaintances, but people I consider actual friends are few.

That is what I've found. My long time friends know just about all about me, my family. They stood the test of time to let us know that someone is there in good times and bad.

I'm grateful for the people who've been 'friends' at different times, but we had a temporary purpose for each other then, while the 'decades long' group are there for all!

CSM
04-22-2016, 07:10 AM

And Kathianne , your friendships lasted longer than either of my marriages. :laugh2:

Joined the Army at the ripe old age of 17; after 2 combat tours, I learned not to have any friends...they just get killed or wounded and you never see them again. High school friends mostly went the hippy route... the Army was not a popular career choice back in 1968. They didn't understand me and I sure as hell didn't understand them. Only "friends" I have these days are my 4 sons....all combat vets themselves. That being said, everyone else I see wandering around in real life is an acquaintance. I have this community of whom most are my "virtual" friends as I have met none face to face.

NightTrain
04-22-2016, 07:19 AM
Damn, Gunny thinks Kath is like 120 years old! :lol:

Yeah, I saw that yesterday and was chuckling about it. :laugh2:

Ahhh Gunny. Kathi's going to get even when you least expect it. Better pull your aircraft carriers out of port for a couple weeks.

jimnyc
04-22-2016, 07:22 AM

Ahhh Gunny. Kathi's going to get even when you least expect it. Better pull your aircraft carriers out of port for a couple weeks.

Yeah, I would imagine he made THE list with that one. Might as well try and put her on ignore and hope it goes away, Gunny!! You stepped in it big time with that one.

CSM
04-22-2016, 07:22 AM

Kathianne is one of the few that scare me on this board....age and treachery and all that....

jimnyc
04-22-2016, 07:24 AM
Kathianne is one of the few that scare me on this board....age and treachery and all that....

You doubling down with Gunny? Oh man, you might as well hop on the carrier and go out to sea for a bit too. :laugh:

CSM
04-22-2016, 07:26 AM
You doubling down with Gunny? Oh man, you might as well hop on the carrier and go out to sea for a bit too. :laugh:

I don't do boats....well, except for my 42 foot Carver Santego.... I captain that puppy. Hmmm, maybe I'll just hop on that and cruise for a while until Kathianne forgets about this little incident.

NightTrain
04-22-2016, 07:28 AM
At the risk of joining the growing fleet of aircraft carriers milling around in the open sea....

I always got a kick out of the old saying :

"Youth and talent are no match for old age and treachery."

CSM
04-22-2016, 07:31 AM
At the risk of joining the growing fleet of aircraft carriers milling around in the open sea....

I always got a kick out of the old saying :

"Youth and talent are no match for old age and treachery."

Exactly ....

Variation: "Age and treachery beats youth and enthusiasm every time."

jimnyc
04-22-2016, 07:31 AM
I don't do boats....well, except for my 42 foot Carver Santego.... I captain that puppy. Hmmm, maybe I'll just hop on that and cruise for a while until Kathianne forgets about this little incident.

42'? When are we all going fishing?

CSM
04-22-2016, 07:33 AM
42'? When are we all going fishing?

In dry dock at the moment. Blew and engine last year. In the process of being replaced. Them big 454s aint cheap either ....

NightTrain
04-22-2016, 07:36 AM
In dry dock at the moment. Blew and engine last year. In the process of being replaced. Them big 454s aint cheap either ....

Why not go with a couple of Cummins on a big boat like that? Those 454s are expensive to feed.

42' sounds like a pretty nice rig, got a pic?

Kathianne
Yeah, I would imagine he made THE list with that one. Might as well try and put her on ignore and hope it goes away, Gunny!! You stepped in it big time with that one.

You of all people know how difficult it is to ignore me. Just when you think you've got the hang of it, here comes Instapot! LOL! How's that working, we need a review!

Abbey Marie

Forgets? What you don't know about women is a lot!

:eek:

jimnyc
04-22-2016, 07:37 AM

Bummer. Call dmp and he can chip in to help cover the costs, Jeff too. Then you cruise that sucker around the east coast and come get me! Maybe we meet in Florida where the fishing is better, unless of course you prefer bottles, cans, sludge and dead people coming up on the end of your line.

jimnyc
04-22-2016, 07:37 AM
You of all people know how difficult it is to ignore me. Just when you think you've got the hang of it, here comes Instapot! LOL! How's that working, we need a review!

Almost forgot....

CSM
04-22-2016, 07:38 AM
Why not go with a couple of Cummins on a big boat like that? Those 454s are expensive to feed.

42' sounds like a pretty nice rig, got a pic?

Thought about switching over to diesel...maybe some day. Yeah, when you open up the throttles you can hear the fuel being sucked out of the tanks...heh. BUT, that boat FLIES! It's like a damned PT boat!

CSM
04-22-2016, 07:40 AM
Bummer. Call dmp and he can chip in to help cover the costs, Jeff too. Then you cruise that sucker around the east coast and come get me! Maybe we meet in Florida where the fishing is better, unless of course you prefer bottles, cans, sludge and dead people coming up on the end of your line.

That's NJ fishing... Florida works or anywhere along the coast of Maine

Kathianne
04-22-2016, 07:41 AM
That's NJ fishing... Florida works or anywhere along the coast of Maine

I don't like fishing, they always shush me! But Lobster Rolls? I'm in!

NightTrain
04-22-2016, 07:48 AM
Thought about switching over to diesel...maybe some day. Yeah, when you open up the throttles you can hear the fuel being sucked out of the tanks...heh. BUT, that boat FLIES! It's like a damned PT boat!

Yep, it's hideously expensive to kick in the 4-barrels! Mine is only a 302 but when I have the hammer down I can almost watch the gas gauge drop.

Twin 454s would probably bring a tear to my eye at full throttle.

CSM
04-22-2016, 07:51 AM
TMB....(that's mah boat)

Well, one just like it. All my pics are on my other laptop.... but I will post some when I get back from my minivacation. Leaving this evening to go on a cruise to the southern Carribean for a week.

darin
04-22-2016, 07:53 AM

Would totally chip in a gofundme for CSM. :)

CSM
04-22-2016, 07:53 AM
I don't like fishing, they always shush me! But Lobster Rolls? I'm in!

I can live without lobster.... the guy across the dock from me gets me all the lobster my wife can eat for $5 apiece... he is a lobsterman and goes out every day.

jimnyc
04-22-2016, 08:05 AM
TMB....(that's mah boat)

Well, one just like it. All my pics are on my other laptop.... but I will post some when I get back from my minivacation. Leaving this evening to go on a cruise to the southern Carribean for a week.

Sweet ride!!

Enjoy the vacation, be safe!

NightTrain
04-22-2016, 08:05 AM
I can live without lobster.... the guy across the dock from me gets me all the lobster my wife can eat for $5 apiece... he is a lobsterman and goes out every day.

!

Be there in 17 hours.

CSM
04-22-2016, 08:08 AM
!

Be there in 17 hours.

Wait until mid summer...weather is nicer and the fishing is better.... strippers galore unless you prefer ground fishing.... cod and halibut. If you are really brave and don't care how long you are on the water...Bluefin tuna. The lobsterman across the dock paid for his boat in one season by catching tuna.

NightTrain
04-22-2016, 08:08 AM
TMB....(that's mah boat)

Now that's a nice setup! I'll get one like that someday when my riverboat interest wanes.

Have fun on the cruise!

CSM
04-22-2016, 08:12 AM
Now that's a nice setup! I'll get one like that someday when my riverboat interest wanes.

Have fun on the cruise!

Wife is a travel agent so we get two or three trips a year for free. She is heading out on a cruise to Alaska at the end of June. Been twice myself so not going myself this year. We are heading to Brazil in Oct or November. When I completely retire, I will let her support me in a style I will become accustomed to!

Gunny
04-22-2016, 08:12 AM

WHAT!?! Live without lobster? Who the f- are you and where's CSM? But if you hook me up with $5 lobster I's cut you some slack, :laugh:

CSM
04-22-2016, 08:13 AM
Yep, it's hideously expensive to kick in the 4-barrels! Mine is only a 302 but when I have the hammer down I can almost watch the gas gauge drop.

Twin 454s would probably bring a tear to my eye at full throttle.

Love hearing those engines roar. Unfortunately, the wife unit gets a bit leary when I start playing PT Boat 109....

CSM
04-22-2016, 08:15 AM
WHAT!?! Live without lobster? Who the f- are you and where's CSM? But if you hook me up with $5 lobster I's cut you some slack, :laugh:

oh I eat the bugs (lobster rolls only!) but it's not like one of my "gotta have" foods.... red meat is more my staple. Love me a good steak!

NightTrain
04-22-2016, 08:19 AM
Wife is a travel agent so we get two or three trips a year for free. She is heading out on a cruise to Alaska at the end of June. Been twice myself so not going myself this year. We are heading to Brazil in Oct or November.

Is she doing the South East tour to Ketchikan & Juneau or coming all the way to Seward / Anchorage?

When I completely retire, I will let her support me in a style I will become accustomed to!

Nice! I keep asking my wife when she'll be my Sugar Mama, but so far that hasn't worked out. :laugh:

Gunny
04-22-2016, 08:27 AM
oh I eat the bugs (lobster rolls only!) but it's not like one of my "gotta have" foods.... red meat is more my staple. Love me a good steak!

Oh I hear ya. I gotta have a medium steak with the bug. Just wouldn't be right otherwise. I'm a Texan. What do you think we have down here besides lots of cows?

And on a serious note, I can't stand fish. I eat shrimp, lobster and crab legs. I can't eat fish for nothing. I used to go deep sea fishing with my stepfather because I knew he cook them up and scarf 'em down. But I would always go with someone I knew would eat my catch.

CSM
04-22-2016, 08:28 AM
Is she doing the South East tour to Ketchikan & Juneau or coming all the way to Seward / Anchorage?

Nice! I keep asking my wife when she'll be my Sugar Mama, but so far that hasn't worked out. :laugh:

I think this time they start in Juneau and end up in Vancouver...inside passage all the way. Side excursions to Denali. I think they do Ketchikan, Icy Strait, and that kind of stuff. I know they have all kinds of excursions along the way. Last time I went, we did some panning for gold (didn't get rich...lol) and some whale watching. She organizes those trips for geocaching groups (google it... too lazy to explain). those crazy people (geocachers) go all over the world with her. Been to Italy, Germany, France, Greece, Turkey, Sicily, and all over the Carribean including Beliize, Brazil, and just about all the States. Meh... it's a free trip for me....

CSM
04-22-2016, 08:30 AM
Oh I hear ya. I gotta have a medium steak with the bug. Just wouldn't be right otherwise. I'm a Texan. What do you think we have down here besides lots of cows?

And on a serious note, I can't stand fish. I eat shrimp, lobster and crab legs. I can't eat fish for nothing. I used to go deep sea fishing with my stepfather because I knew he cook them up and scarf 'em down. But I would always go with someone I knew would eat my catch.

I like most fish (fresh and salt water) and most shell fish.... love fried clams and oysters. Beef and pork are the best....chicken....I eat it cuz the wife likes it.

Gunny
04-22-2016, 08:35 AM
I like most fish (fresh and salt water) and most shell fish.... love fried clams and oysters. Beef and pork are the best....chicken....I eat it cuz the wife likes it.

It's damned if you do, damned if you don't with me. I love to deep sea fish. I always went with people that will eat the catch. I can't stand the taste of fish. There are about 2-3 fish I can actually stand the taste of. But you know better than anyone else, I'll eat bugs if I have to. It's just if I don't have to I ain't gonna.

NightTrain
04-22-2016, 08:40 AM
I think this time they start in Juneau and end up in Vancouver...inside passage all the way. Side excursions to Denali. I think they do Ketchikan, Icy Strait, and that kind of stuff. I know they have all kinds of excursions along the way. Last time I went, we did some panning for gold (didn't get rich...lol) and some whale watching. She organizes those trips for geocaching groups (google it... too lazy to explain). those crazy people (geocachers) go all over the world with her. Been to Italy, Germany, France, Greece, Turkey, Sicily, and all over the Carribean including Beliize, Brazil, and just about all the States. Meh... it's a free trip for me....

Yeah, I know about the geocachers... not my cup, but I can see the allure with hikers.

If she's going to Denali, then she's coming to at least Valdez, Seward or maybe Anchorage and joining the mad rush of tourists going to the zoo that's Denali during the summer. That's a pretty long cruise, should be a lot of fun.

If she hasn't been, tell her to be sure to stop in Skagway out of Juneau on one of her trips. There's some really cool history there from the Gold Rush of 1898... I spent a whole day looking through the museums there and it was fascinating.

CSM
04-22-2016, 08:43 AM
Yeah, I know about the geocachers... not my cup, but I can see the allure with hikers.

If she's going to Denali, then she's coming to at least Valdez, Seward or maybe Anchorage and joining the mad rush of tourists going to the zoo that's Denali during the summer. That's a pretty long cruise, should be a lot of fun.

If she hasn't been, tell her to be sure to stop in Skagway out of Juneau on one of her trips. There's some really cool history there from the Gold Rush of 1898... I spent a whole day looking through the museums there and it was fascinating.

Yep, Skagway is one of the stops. Went up thru Dead Horse Pass and all that on my first trip; interesting stuff...

NightTrain
04-22-2016, 09:28 AM
Yep, Skagway is one of the stops. Went up thru Dead Horse Pass and all that on my first trip; interesting stuff...

Now there's some old iron! Pretty complicated snowblower.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8802&stc=1

Abbey Marie
04-22-2016, 04:14 PM

You don't want to experience the honey-do lists from a wifey who's "keeping you"

:laugh2:

jimnyc
04-22-2016, 04:18 PM
Now there's some old iron! Pretty complicated snowblower.

Now THAT'S what I need. Stick that sucker in the garage, open door after snow storm, start her up - turn her off, snow gone off driveway, front lawn & park across the street.

DLT
04-22-2016, 04:24 PM

Yeah, being a military brat myself, I went from being a Pollyanna type to a bit of a loner. It broke my heart when my parents uprooted me and moved from Norfolk, VA back to Texas. I had a puppy love goin on, bf (also a military brat) lived right in back of my house, he and I knew all the kids in the neighborhood and we had an absolute BLAST. I was pissed off at my parents for years after moving from there and ....I must confess....I rebelled a lot after that. I kinda shut down for a while. After that, I kept only a few friends here and there. Oh well....

Gunny
04-22-2016, 09:11 PM
Yeah, being a military brat myself, I went from being a Pollyanna type to a bit of a loner. It broke my heart when my parents uprooted me and moved from Norfolk, VA back to Texas. I had a puppy love goin on, bf (also a military brat) lived right in back of my house, he and I knew all the kids in the neighborhood and we had an absolute BLAST. I was pissed off at my parents for years after moving from there and ....I must confess....I rebelled a lot after that. I kinda shut down for a while. After that, I kept only a few friends here and there. Oh well....

It taught me to not get too attached to anyone or thing. So maybe subconsciously it meant something, but I never blamed my dad. And trust me, I got a whole list of crap to blame him for. That's just not one of them. It wasn't always me that was jerked out by the roots and moved. All the other kids were too. We just had a different mentality about it. My daughter took it WAY harder than I ever did. But it DOES affect the way we think.

crin63
04-23-2016, 06:19 PM

Two friends 47 years.

Wow! That's an impressive list actually. Good for you!

I have no childhood friends other than a few Facebook friends from high school but that doesn't count. I found little to no redeeming merit in those I grew up around. Probably my own fault for picking the wrong people but I've never had a problem going it alone.

My wife is the closest thing I have to a long time friendship. We're going on 22 years of marriage this year.

When I see families who are all about family and blood being everything I sometimes feel like I should be that way, but it goes away quickly.

Personally, I don't take friendship lightly so I call few people friend. For me to call someone friend instead of buddy says a lot about my opinion of them. If I take time to explain myself or keep someone up with my life it's because they have earned some measure of my respect. Might not mean much to them but it was earned.

I have been at my church for 21 years so I have some friends spanning that time.

jimnyc
04-23-2016, 06:31 PM
My wife is the closest thing I have to a long time friendship. We're going on 22 years of marriage this year.

That's funny, about the same for me, up to and including the Facebook part, and the wifey and I will be married 22 years on the 29th of June.

Kathianne
04-23-2016, 06:32 PM
Wow! That's an impressive list actually. Good for you!

I have no childhood friends other than a few Facebook friends from high school but that doesn't count. I found little to no redeeming merit in those I grew up around. Probably my own fault for picking the wrong people but I've never had a problem going it alone.

When I see families who are all about family and blood being everything I sometimes feel like I should be that way, but it goes away quickly.

Personally, I don't take friendship lightly so I call few people friend. For me to call someone friend instead of buddy says a lot about my opinion of them. If I take time to explain myself or keep someone up with my life it's because they have earned some measure of my respect. Might not mean much to them but it was earned.

I have been at my church for 21 years so I have some friends spanning that time.

Me too! As you can see, only 5 make 'the list.' Oh there are still some HS folks that 'friended' me on FB, but we weren't 'friends' then and I've no desire to start now. LOL! These are people that I'll stay with. They know my family, came to my parents funerals and even some of my aunts and uncle's funerals. They know my kids, came to their weddings, have held my grandchildren! Same in reverse. Laughs, tears, and everything inbetween.

Looking at them I guess we've always been sort of geeky, but social. Not unpopular growing up, but not much for parties, though we could get in plenty of escapades without a crowd. ;) All except the last friend, grew up in the same city, all went to different colleges, all have post-secondary. Other than myself and one other, none are divorced, all married, all but one with kids. All stayed home at least until youngest started school. Likely the area we grew up in influenced us quite a bit, all of our parents shared many similarities. We did notice by our 30's that all families are dysfunctional, it's a matter of 'how' and to what degree.

crin63
04-23-2016, 06:38 PM
That's funny, about the same for me, up to and including the Facebook part, and the wifey and I will be married 22 years on the 29th of June.

Well done! You got us beat by about 9 days. July 8th here.

We got together October 92 after my 1st marriage of 7 years ended.

jimnyc
04-23-2016, 06:42 PM
Well done! You got us beat by about 9 days. July 8th here.

We got together October 92 after my 1st marriage of 7 years ended.

I was born in between on July 1st...

And my wife and I first got together in 92 as well, but it was December of 92. Lots of coincidences!! :beer: