PDA

View Full Version : Could Texas secede from the United States, if it wanted to?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-02-2016, 09:52 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/news/could-texas-secede-united-states-wanted-094818052--politics.html

Politics
Could Texas secede from the United States, if it wanted to?
Jonathan Stahl,National Constitution Center 15 hours ago

In less unique election years, little to no national attention is given to statewide party conventions, where state party leaders and activists meet to discuss various issues, put forth a platform, and conduct other official state party business. Earlier this month however, the Colorado GOP state convention made national headlines after Ted Cruz swept the delegate allocation that was determined at the convention – without a popular election.

flag-of-Texas-535More recently, some attention has shifted to the upcoming Republican state convention in Texas, which will take place May 12th-14th. While the allocation of delegates from Texas to the GOP national convention was determined in the state’s March 1st primary, the emerging controversy surrounding the convention is about a debate over a pro-Texas secession plank to the party platform.

Earlier this year, 270 county conventions took place across Texas, and at least 10 counties passed resolutions to adopt a pro-secession platform. Texas GOP party officials fear that this support and momentum will force them to hold an official vote at the state convention on whether to include a pro-secession plank in the state GOP platform.

Actually, it could. Later court decisions are not valid under the Constitution, nor are they correct IMHO.
TEXAS HAS THE RIGHT TO LEAVE THE UNION, ESPECIALLY SINCE THE CURRENT FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS ITSELF AN UNCONSTITUTIONAL ENTITY.---- -TYR

Black Diamond
05-02-2016, 10:17 PM
Texas should leave the Union. So I can defect.

gabosaurus
05-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Sorry, Tyr. You are misguided. Texas has as much of a right to secede as California does.
Namely, none at all.

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2012/11/constitution-check-can-texas-get-constitutional-permission-to-leave-the-union/

logroller
05-03-2016, 03:54 AM
Of course Texas has the means to succeed from the Union...It's just a question of if

through revolution or through consent of the States. (https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/74/700/) it can?
Texas v White (https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/74/700/)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-03-2016, 05:17 AM
Sorry, Tyr. You are misguided. Texas has as much of a right to secede as California does.
Namely, none at all.

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2012/11/constitution-check-can-texas-get-constitutional-permission-to-leave-the-union/

OF COURSE IT CAN--THE QUESTION BECOMES WHAT ACTIONS WILL THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TAKE TO REVERSE THAT DECISION.
WOULD IT BE PUNITIVE ECONOMIC MEASURES OR USE OF FORCE.

Texas has the needed resources to be independent.
Add to that the edicts of the current unconstitutional government and its unlawful, freedom destroying policies, abject refusal to protect Southern border thus causing major harm to the state of TEXAS and Texas HAS EVERY RIGHT TO CAST OFF ITS TYRANNICAL YOKE..

AFTER THAT IMHO THE QUESTION BECOMES WOULD TEXAS DO SO AND WOULD ITS CITIZENS FIGHT FOR INDEPENDENCE.-TYR

Gunny
05-04-2016, 03:22 AM
Namely, none at all.

Wrong. Any state can secede. Legally. Lincoln's use of unconstitutional power is the only thing that forced anyone to still be part of the sorry side of your country. For Mr Outsider, he played a typical US Government game -- force of arms for power and control.

Your state ain't got enough balls to secede from itself. But we don't need you. Fall into the ocean. You won't be missed.

CSM
05-04-2016, 06:26 AM
I sometimes wonder about the legality of the opposite.... can the Union expel an individual state? California might provide a very good test case methinks!

Gunny
05-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Of course Texas has the means to succeed from the Union...It's just a question of if
it can?
Texas v White (https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/74/700/)

I am well aware of the case without looking. 1868. The Supreme Court covered the US's ass with an after the fact ruling which is unconstitutional. Prior to that, there is NOTHING in writing to support Lincoln and his cause. If I join a gym then quit, you can't come to my house and force me to stay. That's EXACTLY what Lincoln did. NOTHING said a state couldn't secede until Texas v White. And we don't care any damned way. You didn't win shit in this neck of the woods.

jimnyc
05-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Texas should leave the Union. So I can defect.

They need to hurry up and do so then. This way if the Witch should happen to win in November, I can move out of the country. I'll be bunking with Gunny

Gunny
05-05-2016, 06:27 PM
They need to hurry up and do so then. This way if the Witch should happen to win in November, I can move out of the country. I'll be bunking with @Gunny (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=30)

Crap. This is such a lose-lose-lose deal. :laugh:

jimnyc
05-05-2016, 06:29 PM

It's either put up with a knucklehead like me, or give up your guns to Hillary (that rhymes!). :salute: :beer:

CSM
05-06-2016, 06:50 AM
They need to hurry up and do so then. This way if the Witch should happen to win in November, I can move out of the country. I'll be bunking with Gunny

Aw crap..... now I can't get that image out of my head!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-06-2016, 07:32 AM

Couldnt be worse that living under a hillary dictatorship methinks.
Just as long as nobody tried to get too chummy.. ;)--Tyr

Gunny
05-06-2016, 07:57 AM
Couldnt be worse that living under a hillary dictatorship methinks.
Just as long as nobody tried to get too chummy.. ;)--Tyr

You haven't heard me say anything different. Make me the Attorney General and her ass is in prison. I had that classified crap so drilled into my brain there's no excuse. None. I don't get to commit war crimes and you can bet your ass I had to lay off the trigger once or twice. The law is law. I might bend that sucker, but I don't just violate it thinking I'm above it.

Elessar
05-06-2016, 10:30 AM
I had that classified crap so drilled into my brain there's no excuse. None. The law is law..... but I don't just violate it thinking I'm above it.

That is one thing I am trying impress upon some people. There are a
few of us that had to live and abide by this stuff daily and it boggles
my mind that people ignore what we lived and worked with.

Even though FOUO (For Official Use Only) is not a classification, it is
something that is restricted. If I had to share that information with another
agency, I would have to get permission through the Chain to do so.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-06-2016, 03:52 PM
You haven't heard me say anything different. Make me the Attorney General and her ass is in prison. I had that classified crap so drilled into my brain there's no excuse. None. I don't get to commit war crimes and you can bet your ass I had to lay off the trigger once or twice. The law is law. I might bend that sucker, but I don't just violate it thinking I'm above it.

Her corruption is so deep, so massive and so treasonous that she should be tried for treason IMHO.
SHE AND BILL HAVE BOTH SOLD OUT THIS NATIONS INTEREST FOR MONEY, FOR TENS OF MILLIONS.. -- CLINTON FOUNDATION.

I'D HAVE HER TRIED FOR HER TREASON AND EXECUTED IF FOUND GUILTY IN A COURT OF LAW WHERE I THE ATTORNEY GENERAL.

ANYBODY THAT DOESNT KNOW HER SECRET PRIVATE SERVER WAS SET UP TO SELL NATIONAL SECRETS AND MILITARY INFORMATION TO HOSTILE NATIONS IS EITHER QUITE BLIND WITH BIAS, NAIVE OR ELSE VERY SLOW ON THE UPTAKE IMHO.. -TYR

Gunny
05-06-2016, 03:59 PM
Her corruption is so deep, so massive and so treasonous that she should be tried for treason IMHO.
SHE AND BILL HAVE BOTH SOLD OUT THIS NATIONS INTEREST FOR MONEY, FOR TENS OF MILLIONS.. -- CLINTON FOUNDATION.

I'D HAVE HER TRIED FOR HER TREASON AND EXECUTED IF FOUND GUILTY IN A COURT OF LAW WHERE I THE ATTORNEY GENERAL.

ANYBODY THAT DOESNT KNOW HER SECRET PRIVATE SERVER WAS SET UP TO SELL NATIONAL SECRETS AND MILITARY INFORMATION TO HOSTILE NATIONS IS EITHER QUITE BLIND WITH BIAS, NAIVE OR ELSE VERY SLOW ON THE UPTAKE IMHO.. -TYR

You're preaching to the choir, bubba. I wouldn't execute her fat ass. That would be too easy. Life without parole. She can wake up every day and think about the people she sold out.

Atticus Finch
05-06-2016, 05:52 PM
Texas should leave the Union. So I can defect.I'd leave WV and run to Texas if they did.

logroller
05-06-2016, 10:57 PM
I am well aware of the case without looking. 1868. The Supreme Court covered the US's ass with an after the fact ruling which is unconstitutional. Prior to that, there is NOTHING in writing to support Lincoln and his cause. If I join a gym then quit, you can't come to my house and force me to stay. That's EXACTLY what Lincoln did. NOTHING said a state couldn't secede until Texas v White. And we don't care any damned way. You didn't win shit in this neck of the woods.
Of course I didn't win anything in your neck of the woods...i wasn't in the civil war..how old do you think i am? :lol:
All SCOTUS rulings are after the fact I think.:dunno: Regardless, the Constitution provides that SCOTUS is the final arbiter of constitutionality and barring an amendment, that's just the way it is. It's circular reasoning I understand, but that's the deal. You wanna secede, you gotta have consent of the States; it's just a question of how you convince them.

Besides, I'm not trying to force you to stay in the union. Go ahead and secede.. I'll warn you though, if Texas did you'd have a flood of Americans headed to Texas of biblical proportions. Haha!

Gunny
05-06-2016, 11:25 PM
Of course I didn't win anything in your neck of the woods...i wasn't in the civil war..how old do you think i am? :lol:
All SCOTUS rulings are after the fact I think.:dunno: Regardless, the Constitution provides that SCOTUS is the final arbiter of constitutionality and barring an amendment, that's just the way it is. It's circular reasoning I understand, but that's the deal. You wanna secede, you gotta have consent of the States; it's just a question of how you convince them.

Besides, I'm not trying to force you to stay in the union. Go ahead and secede.. I'll warn you though, if Texas did you'd have a flood of Americans headed to Texas of biblical proportions. Haha!

I'm not trying to do anything but respond to a thread. We already got a bunch of snowbirds.

logroller
05-07-2016, 12:22 AM
I'm not trying to do anything but respond to a thread. We already got a bunch of snowbirds.
Lol. Fair enough. My point is that it takes consent...whether the States agree and want you out or they get their ass kicked and they begrudgingly agree to let you out-- either way, they consent. So far as the former, it's pretty unlikely For the likes of California, Texas, New York...the union won't just agree to their leaving because they bring in mad $$$$$.

Gunny
05-07-2016, 10:33 AM
Lol. Fair enough. My point is that it takes consent...whether the States agree and want you out or they get their ass kicked and they begrudgingly agree to let you out-- either way, they consent. So far as the former, it's pretty unlikely For the likes of California, Texas, New York...the union won't just agree to their leaving because they bring in mad $$$$$.

We keep circling the bowel like we're doing, I am going to secede from the Union. I've lived all over the world and ain't afraid to move.

Black Diamond
05-07-2016, 10:43 AM
We keep circling the bowel like we're doing, I am going to secede from the Union. I've lived all over the world and ain't afraid to move.

I think you meant bowl but both words work. :)

Gunny
05-07-2016, 10:47 AM
I think you meant bowl but both words work. :)

It's early and I haven't had any coffee. Had the AC guy not shown up I'd be still checking my eyelids for leaks. :laugh:

Black Diamond
05-07-2016, 10:59 AM
It's early and I haven't had any coffee. Had the AC guy not shown up I'd be still checking my eyelids for leaks. :laugh:

Obama is a bowel.

Gunny
05-07-2016, 11:05 AM
Obama is a bowel.

All of these threads seem to intertwine. Call me a flip-flopper. I gave Obama the benefit of doubt to see what he'd do. He's been like making a Lance Corporal Company Gunny. I hope chokes on a sandwich. If he can f*ck something up, his dumb ass will find it. He's an idiot and a liar and a p*ssy. He's gone some to betray the Constitution more than Lincoln did. THERE is his legacy.

He's lucky I don't do social media. My foot would be so far up his ass he'd have to open his mouth for me to shine the damned boot.

Black Diamond
05-07-2016, 11:25 AM
All of these threads seem to intertwine. Call me a flip-flopper. I gave Obama the benefit of doubt to see what he'd do. He's been like making a Lance Corporal Company Gunny. I hope chokes on a sandwich. If he can f*ck something up, his dumb ass will find it. He's an idiot and a liar and a p*ssy. He's gone some to betray the Constitution more than Lincoln did. THERE is his legacy.

He's lucky I don't do social media. My foot would be so far up his ass he'd have to open his mouth for me to shine the damned boot.
Giving someone the benefit of the doubt or giving them a chance only to see them show you who they are isn't flip flopping imo. Me. I was ready to give him a chance until I saw the pastor he had sat under for 20 years. When I found that out, I knew he would be a problem.

Gunny
05-07-2016, 11:31 AM
Giving someone the benefit of the doubt or giving them a chance only to see them show you who they are isn't flip flopping imo. Me. I was ready to give him a chance until I saw the pastor he had sat under for 20 years. When I found that out, I knew he would be a problem.

I guess I should rephrase that. Obama's a bad example. I knew he was a liar and pointed it out at every chance from the get go. You go to church for 21 years and DON'T believe? Might want to give me a break on that one. But he lied his ass off, tossed his own grandmother under the bus, and the left STILL voted for his ass. I call it lying, not a change of opinion.

They're going to do it again. WHile Republican'ts are burning their voters registration cards, the Dems are going to vote for a criminal. They just don't care. They should use the campaing slogan "Cheat to Win" as far as I'm concerned. And the right should use the slogan "All about me. I'm too selfish to win".

Black Diamond
05-07-2016, 11:33 AM
I guess I should rephrase that. Obama's a bad example. I knew he was a liar and pointed it out at every chance from the get go. You go to church for 21 years and DON'T believe? Might want to give me a break on that one. But he lied his ass off, tossed his own grandmother under the bus, and the left STILL voted for his ass. I call it lying, not a change of opinion.

They're going to do it again. WHile Republican'ts are burning their voters registration cards, the Dems are going to vote for a criminal. They just don't care. They should use the campaing slogan "Cheat to Win" as far as I'm concerned. And the right should use the slogan "All about me. I'm too selfish to win".
Hilary's iraq vote is a big reason Obama won imo.

Gunny
05-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Hilary's iraq vote is a big reason Obama won imo.

On that single issue, I agree. We should have never gone in there. It was strategically stupid. At the same time, I also think if we ARE going in, you go in to win. Obama screwed the whole damned thing up and now we have ISIS.

Black Diamond
05-07-2016, 11:46 AM
On that single issue, I agree. We should have never gone in there. It was strategically stupid. At the same time, I also think if we ARE going in, you go in to win. Obama screwed the whole damned thing up and now we have ISIS.
And I think we are going back in. No matter who the next president is. Obama has sent troops but that will be accelerated. Even Hillary has more balls than Obama. She's far more hawkish.

Black Diamond
05-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Also, once saddam was overthrown, he should have been replaced by another dictator. Either that or McCain was right about 100 years.

Gunny
05-07-2016, 12:10 PM
And I think we are going back in. No matter who the next president is. Obama has sent troops but that will be accelerated. Even Hillary has more balls than Obama. She's far more hawkish.

Also, once saddam was overthrown, he should have been replaced by another dictator. Either that or McCain was right about 100 years.

We're going back in because of Obama, to take back what we already had. Saddam was a secularist sitting between the sunni and shia. We should have left it alone.

Atticus Finch
05-07-2016, 02:51 PM
We're going back in because of Obama, to take back what we already had. Saddam was a secularist sitting between the sunni and shia. We should have left it alone.I agree,I supported the Iraq Invasion for many rational reasons, and I'm not directing this toward you or anyone in particular but hind sight is 20/20. It would be nice to be able to see down the road the results of the things we are contemplating.

Gunny
05-07-2016, 06:31 PM
I agree,I supported the Iraq Invasion for many rational reasons, and I'm not directing this toward you or anyone in particular but hind sight is 20/20. It would be nice to be able to see down the road the results of the things we are contemplating.

I understand why anyone would want to take Saddam out. I also understand why we didn't. It was actually foresight, not hindsight. We knew in 91 what the end result would be and we were right. GWB should have listened to GWHB.

Be that as it may, if you go in, you go in to win.