PDA

View Full Version : Judge tosses out ex-spy's lawsuit against Cheney in CIA leak case

nevadamedic
07-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Story Highlights

Ex-spy had accused members of Bush administration of leaking her identity
Judge tosses out lawsuit from Valerie Plame, husband Joseph Wilson
Bush-appointed judge said couple failed to show case belongs in federal court
Plame's identity as a CIA operative was exposed in July 2003

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/07/19/cia.leak/index.html

The judge did the right thing. The suit was nonsense. She outed herself in the last 90's and to think that noone thought she was active is nuts. What did she do for the CIA sleep with foreign officials to gain information? I mean from the pictures ive seen she really isn't that bad looking.

Joe Steel
07-19-2007, 09:12 PM
The judge did the right thing. The suit was nonsense. She outed herself in the last 90's and to think that noone thought she was active is nuts. What did she do for the CIA sleep with foreign officials to gain information? I mean from the pictures ive seen she really isn't that bad looking.

The judge is a Bush stooge. He was following orders and the Wilsons expected it. They always knew they would have to appeal and they will.

07-19-2007, 09:15 PM
The judge is a Bush stooge. He was following orders and the Wilsons expected it. They always knew they would have to appeal and they will.

Nevermind the fact that Cheney didnt out Valery Plame and that she was never undercover to be outed. Nevermind the fact that the President and Vice President have authority to declassify classiied information even if she was. Nevermind the fact that they are both proven liars.

Its all some conspiracy.

nevadamedic
07-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Nevermind the fact that Cheney didnt out Valery Plame and that she was never undercover to be outed. Nevermind the fact that the President and Vice President have authority to declassify classiied information even if she was. Nevermind the fact that they are both proven liars.

Its all some conspiracy.

Didn't you know Bush and Cheney are to blame for everything including bad weather!

JohnDoe
07-19-2007, 09:35 PM

Its all some conspiracy.

AHHHHHH! So now you are ADMITTING she was classified as a CIA undercover intelligence officer???

BUT since Bush and Cheney decided to declassify this classified information on a whim to back handedly try to hurt Wilson and give them "talking points" for such, it is ALL hunky dorey and A OK with you???

And it doesn't bother you one itty bitty bit that our President lied straight faced to you and me, telling us that he would find out who leaked this info on Plame and make sure they were "dealt with", when Bush was the one that released the classified info to be declassified on Plame?

I think it is shameful, and as an American, you should too.... and as a Christian, I would not support liars or people that intentionally try to hurt someone for only political gain....

But heh, to each his own.

Joe Steel
07-19-2007, 09:36 PM

Its all some conspiracy.

Cheney ordered Plame's exposure.

According the CIA, she was undercover.

Bush and Cheney don't have a right to reveal the identities of covert agents.

nevadamedic
07-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Cheney ordered Plame's exposure.

Bush and Cheney don't have a right to reveal the identities of covert agents.

Umm retard She outed herself in 97 then like an idiot went back undercover thinking like an idiot people would forget she was undercover.

Joe Steel
07-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Umm retard She outed herself in 97 then like an idiot went back undercover thinking like an idiot people would forget she was undercover.

07-19-2007, 11:18 PM
AHHHHHH! So now you are ADMITTING she was classified as a CIA undercover intelligence officer???

BUT since Bush and Cheney decided to declassify this classified information on a whim to back handedly try to hurt Wilson and give them "talking points" for such, it is ALL hunky dorey and A OK with you???

And it doesn't bother you one itty bitty bit that our President lied straight faced to you and me, telling us that he would find out who leaked this info on Plame and make sure they were "dealt with", when Bush was the one that released the classified info to be declassified on Plame?

I think it is shameful, and as an American, you should too.... and as a Christian, I would not support liars or people that intentionally try to hurt someone for only political gain....

But heh, to each his own.

I admitted no such thing. She wasnt covert. If she was Armitage would have been thrown in jail for leaking her name.

And the President has power to declassify information inherent with his office.

nevadamedic
07-19-2007, 11:25 PM

She was undercover but she went in and out of langley twice a day...............:poke:

Joe Steel
07-20-2007, 04:51 AM
John D. Bates.

Just another Bush stooge.

"Loyal Bushie" Judge Dismisses Plame Lawsuit (http://www.democrats.com/loyal-bushie-judge-dismisses-plame-lawsuit)

07-20-2007, 06:25 AM
cant deal with the facts so attack the judge. typical lib.

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 07:18 AM

Funny how the libs defend the activist judges when they defy the will of the people and allow the filthy queers to marry.

But it must be gospel when it comes from democraps.com!

Hey, Josie, maybe the judge dismissed the suit based on "rhetorical convenience". What a dumbass! :laugh2:

JohnDoe
07-20-2007, 09:16 AM
She was undercover but she went in and out of langley twice a day...............:poke:

She was classified "undercover" by the CIA....Nevada?

You act as though she could "classify herself" as a CIA undercover intelligence officer all by her lonesome...?

Do you know how silly you sound Nevada?

In the HIGHLY CLASSIFIED department of which she worked, more than 50% of her co-workers were also classified undercover. (Just the NAME of the department in which she worked SHOULD have sent off warning signals to anyone that works in the Whitehouse!)

The evidence submitted in the Libby trial showed that she and her position within this highly classified dept was noted as "secret/no FN" on the classified document that Cheney spread around.

SECRET/no FN which means CLASSIFIED SECRET/ NO FOREIGN NATIONALS ...which means, according to the CIA, her position within the CIA is FORBIDDEN to be shared even with ALLIED Foreign Intelligence.

Now, the STORY being told by the White House is that Cheney declassified this Document with President Bush's permission, which allowed him to smear Valerie Plame and allowed him to "out" her to the Public.

The only problem with this scenario is that the Protocol for Declassifying information, requires the person wanting to declassify the info, to go to the HEAD of the originating Classifier of the Document. Cheney never went to the Cia and notified ANYONE that he declassified the info on Plame and was going to expose her to the Public. The CIA had no idea that Cheney supposedly declassified the top secret info on Plame....

This STORY came out 2 years after the "outing" of Plame, when Cheney in a TV interview mentioned that he had this authority, to declassify.

Another problem with this STORY is that if President Bush passed declassifying authority over to Cheney to declassify this SECRET info in the document, then why did President Bush come before all of us and state that he has asked all in the White house to cooperate with the "outing" investigation and that anyone involved in the outing would be "handled" or asked to resign? Why didn't he just tell the Investigators and US that he declassified the info therefore it no longer was classified, therefore there was no outing, RIGHT THEN and there?

And AGAIN, why didn't they follow THE PROTOCOL FOR DECLASSIFYING?

How flipant for them to declassify Plame's undercover status without even notifying the CIA that they were doing such, with NO WARNING to them, so they could at least try to cover their tracks with her sources before the "outing"?

And lastly, why couldn't the VP make his "case" against Wilson, without having to bring in Plame as his wife and the Nepotism angle? (which turned out to be a complete lie, and just a "talking point") Why couldn't he do it without OUTING this 20 year CIA dedicated employee?

Why be this petty and totally imature? The only reason I can come up with is that they wanted to make HER AN EXAMPLE to other CIA agents that if they don't "TOW" the line they will be "outed" too...

And to me, that's an impeachable offense if it can be proved.

Just none of this makes sense, whatsoever, imo.

Joe Steel
07-20-2007, 11:27 AM

Here's a fact for you. The judge is free to use whatever basis he wishes to make his determination. This judge sold-out to the rightwing so he stays with the Party line.

nevadamedic
07-20-2007, 11:43 AM
She was classified "undercover" by the CIA....Nevada?

You act as though she could "classify herself" as a CIA undercover intelligence officer all by her lonesome...?

Do you know how silly you sound Nevada?

In the HIGHLY CLASSIFIED department of which she worked, more than 50% of her co-workers were also classified undercover. (Just the NAME of the department in which she worked SHOULD have sent off warning signals to anyone that works in the Whitehouse!)

The evidence submitted in the Libby trial showed that she and her position within this highly classified dept was noted as "secret/no FN" on the classified document that Cheney spread around.

SECRET/no FN which means CLASSIFIED SECRET/ NO FOREIGN NATIONALS ...which means, according to the CIA, her position within the CIA is FORBIDDEN to be shared even with ALLIED Foreign Intelligence.

Now, the STORY being told by the White House is that Cheney declassified this Document with President Bush's permission, which allowed him to smear Valerie Plame and allowed him to "out" her to the Public.

The only problem with this scenario is that the Protocol for Declassifying information, requires the person wanting to declassify the info, to go to the HEAD of the originating Classifier of the Document. Cheney never went to the Cia and notified ANYONE that he declassified the info on Plame and was going to expose her to the Public. The CIA had no idea that Cheney supposedly declassified the top secret info on Plame....

This STORY came out 2 years after the "outing" of Plame, when Cheney in a TV interview mentioned that he had this authority, to declassify.

Another problem with this STORY is that if President Bush passed declassifying authority over to Cheney to declassify this SECRET info in the document, then why did President Bush come before all of us and state that he has asked all in the White house to cooperate with the "outing" investigation and that anyone involved in the outing would be "handled" or asked to resign? Why didn't he just tell the Investigators and US that he declassified the info therefore it no longer was classified, therefore there was no outing, RIGHT THEN and there?

And AGAIN, why didn't they follow THE PROTOCOL FOR DECLASSIFYING?

How flipant for them to declassify Plame's undercover status without even notifying the CIA that they were doing such, with NO WARNING to them, so they could at least try to cover their tracks with her sources before the "outing"?

And lastly, why couldn't the VP make his "case" against Wilson, without having to bring in Plame as his wife and the Nepotism angle? (which turned out to be a complete lie, and just a "talking point") Why couldn't he do it without OUTING this 20 year CIA dedicated employee?

Why be this petty and totally imature? The only reason I can come up with is that they wanted to make HER AN EXAMPLE to other CIA agents that if they don't "TOW" the line they will be "outed" too...

And to me, that's an impeachable offense if it can be proved.

Just none of this makes sense, whatsoever, imo.

She may have been classified but she outed herself in 97 then decided to go back in, any other country would be an idiot to not know that she is an agent.

The President can unclassify anything he wants to.

Her husband is a liar, when he made the statements about the no WMD's in Iraq he had no position in or around the Government, the closest thing he had was his wife, but imagine that he was working for the Kerry Campaign.

Hagbard Celine
07-20-2007, 12:13 PM
She may have been classified but she outed herself in 97 then decided to go back in, any other country would be an idiot to not know that she is an agent.

The President can unclassify anything he wants to.

Her husband is a liar, when he made the statements about the no WMD's in Iraq he had no position in or around the Government, the closest thing he had was his wife, but imagine that he was working for the Kerry Campaign.

Why is her husband a liar. (I can't wait to hear this :rolleyes:)

nevadamedic
07-20-2007, 12:30 PM
Why is her husband a liar. (I can't wait to hear this :rolleyes:)

He had no way of knowing if Iraq had any WMD's he has lied about positions in the Government when in fact it turned up that he was part of the Kerry campaign team.

Hagbard Celine
07-20-2007, 12:36 PM
He had no way of knowing if Iraq had any WMD's he has lied about positions in the Government when in fact it turned up that he was part of the Kerry campaign team.

He didn't say they "didn't have wmds," he said they didn't buy yellowcake uranium from Niger and therefore couldn't have had a "nucular" weapons program, which was one of the Bush administration's original reasons for the invasion.

Plus, even if he had said that, he sure as hell wouldn't have been proven wrong would he?

nevadamedic
07-20-2007, 01:37 PM
He didn't say they "didn't have wmds," he said they didn't buy yellowcake uranium from Niger and therefore couldn't have had a "nucular" weapons program, which was one of the Bush administration's original reasons for the invasion.

Plus, even if he had said that, he sure as hell wouldn't have been proven wrong would he?

Yup.

Joe Steel
07-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Funny how the libs defend the activist judges when they defy the will of the people and allow the filthy queers to marry.

But it must be gospel when it comes from democraps.com!

Hey, Josie, maybe the judge dismissed the suit based on "rhetorical convenience". What a dumbass! :laugh2:

Nope.

Too many spelling errors.

For some reason wingnut toadies are obsessed with spelling.

Hagbard Celine
07-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Yup.

That's right, you have nothing to say. Just slink back to the kiddie table and let the adults talk.

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Nope.

Too many spelling errors.

For some reason wingnut toadies are obsessed with spelling.

It's just too much fun watching people backpedal, get flustered, and turn into morons when they are proven incorrect! Don't be upset though, Josie, there is help for you. You can go to a special place with a bunch of Michael Moore salivating dolts, and you would fit right in. Many refer to it as "du.com". If you can't figure it out, let me know and I'll give you "special" instructions. :coffee:

nevadamedic
07-20-2007, 04:27 PM
It's just too much fun watching people backpedal, get flustered, and turn into morons when they are proven incorrect! Don't be upset though, Josie, there is help for you. You can go to a special place with a bunch of Michael Moore salivating dolts, and you would fit right in. Many refer to it as "du.com". If you can't figure it out, let me know and I'll give you "special" instructions. :coffee:

Typical Liberal they can't attack your aguement so they attack your grammar. :laugh2:

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 04:35 PM
Typical Liberal they can't attack your aguement so they attack your grammar. :laugh2:

In all fairness, I attacked his spelling in another thread. He got upset and started typing like a squirrel on heroin after I proved him incorrect.

jimnyc
07-20-2007, 05:37 PM
I see you reading this thread and not replying, Jo Jo Circus. Are you getting flustered trying to find your brethren at "du.com"?

I'll give you a hint, it's not "dummy" underground, although it should be! :coffee:

nevadamedic
07-20-2007, 06:55 PM
I see you reading this thread and not replying, Jo Jo Circus. Are you getting flustered trying to find your brethren at "du.com"?

I'll give you a hint, it's not "dummy" underground, although it should be! :coffee:

Du.com?

Joe Steel
07-21-2007, 05:42 AM
For years, the rightwing has been packing the bench with ideologues. John D. Bates is one of them. It's a sad time for America.

Psychoblues
07-21-2007, 05:57 AM
Wrong court, wrong judge, wrong time, wrong pResident. I hope this case will go down in history as it is for what it is. Benedict Arnold can hold no reputation approaching the treason of gwb and his minions against the Constitution, the Declaration Of Independence or the Bill of Rights of this, the United States Of America. I sincerely hope history adequately reflects the transgressions of the gwb administration. Like slavery, this is another of those very sad moments in the history of this otherwise great country.

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 05:58 AM
Why did you edit your reply, Jo Jo?

That's ok, I have a photographic memory! :)

Your inability to "see" things became prevalent a long time ago, you need not point it out to the rest of us.

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 06:00 AM
Wrong court, wrong judge, wrong time, wrong pResident. I hope this case will go down in history as it is for what it is. Benedict Arnold can hold no reputation approaching the treason of gwb and his minions against the Constitution, the Declaration Of Independence or the Bill of Rights of this, the United States Of America. I sincerely hope history adequately reflects the transgressions of the gwb administration. Like slavery, this is another of those very sad moments in the history of this otherwise great country.

I'm looking at this case from a legal standpoint, and I've yet to see anyone come up with a valid argument against the judge's ruling.

Surely if Jo Jo is going to claim the case was tossed because he was a "bushie", he can provide us with legal facts to back up his assertions.

Psychoblues
07-21-2007, 06:04 AM
Your photographic memory doesn't help you when you have no film, jimnyc.

Psychoblues
07-21-2007, 06:06 AM
Was appointment a consideration, jimnyc?

I'm looking at this case from a legal standpoint, and I've yet to see anyone come up with a valid argument against the judge's ruling.

Surely if Jo Jo is going to claim the case was tossed because he was a "bushie", he can provide us with legal facts to back up his assertions.

Like I said, I hope history properly reflects the real truth of this legal dilemma.

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 06:08 AM
Your photographic memory doesn't help you when you have no film, jimnyc.

No need for film, buddy! From a legal standpoint, the judge was absolutely spot on in his decision. I don't mind when dolts like Jo Jo get their rocks off on bashing Bush, but at least he can do so when he knows what he's talking about. And surely if he does he can provide us with the appropriate legal standings to backup his delusional accusations.

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 06:09 AM
Was appointment a consideration, jimnyc?

Like I said, I hope history properly reflects the real truth of this legal dilemma.

I don't see anything at all in his decision that points to anything unfair. If there is, it will be overturned on appeal. Would you like to bet that doesn't happen, and that the judge was correct in his decision?

Psychoblues
07-21-2007, 06:13 AM
OK, you don't have the film.

No need for film, buddy! From a legal standpoint, the judge was absolutely spot on in his decision. I don't mind when dolts like Jo Jo get their rocks off on bashing Bush, but at least he can do so when he knows what he's talking about. And surely if he does he can provide us with the appropriate legal standings to backup his delusional accusations.

What good is your photography? There is an appeal and it ain't over 'till it's over. Whomever and however Ms. Plame was outed was in every sense WRONG. Surely you recognise that, don't you?

Psychoblues
07-21-2007, 06:16 AM
Would you like to bet that any decision relegated by a court encumbered to the administration will be fair?

I don't see anything at all in his decision that points to anything unfair. If there is, it will be overturned on appeal. Would you like to bet that doesn't happen, and that the judge was correct in his decision?

Grow up, Kid. Correct according to who?

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 06:18 AM
OK, you don't have the film.

What good is your photography? There is an appeal and it ain't over 'till it's over. Whomever and however Ms. Plame was outed was in every sense WRONG. Surely you recognise that, don't you?

Honestly, I'm too damn tired to debate on the entire Valerie Plame case. What I will say though, is that this discussion is about her particular suit, and the judge tossing it appropriately with proper legal standing. I am strictly commenting on Jo Jo's claim that the reasoning for his decision was because the judge was a "bushie", which as usual with her comments is completely unfounded.

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 06:20 AM
Would you like to bet that any decision relegated by a court encumbered to the administration will be fair?

Grow up, Kid. Correct according to who?

I don't care if it goes to the Supreme Court of the USA, I'm still willing to wager it stands up to an appeal.

And I believe I am grown up. I base my statements on the laws of the United States. Seriously, Psycho, can you give me just one valid legal point that the judge was incorrect on? Just one will do for now!

Psychoblues
07-21-2007, 06:27 AM
Man, you done picked out the wrong one to argue with. I am no lawyer.

I don't care if it goes to the Supreme Court of the USA, I'm still willing to wager it stands up to an appeal.

And I believe I am grown up. I base my statements on the laws of the United States. Seriously, Psycho, can you give me just one valid legal point that the judge was incorrect on? Just one will do for now!

You give me anything whatsoever that can adequately explain how the outting of a covert CIA agent is in any way an embellishment to our system of intelligence gathering and I will shut the fuck up about it. OK?

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 06:35 AM
Man, you done picked out the wrong one to argue with. I am no lawyer.

You give me anything whatsoever that can adequately explain how the outting of a covert CIA agent is in any way an embellishment to our system of intelligence gathering and I will shut the fuck up about it. OK?

Whether she was outted inappropriately or not is irrelevant to the case in debate here. Do I believe our politicians collectively get away with inappropriate things? Sure, it probably happens daily. But not being happy about it is not a legal standpoint and won't get you far in our justice system. The judge is sworn to uphold the laws of our nation. I don't see how he acted in any way inappropriate by tossing out the case on his cited reasons. Now, you're not a lawyer, and neither am I. But it was Jo Jo who made assertions about the judge being a "bushie". His regurgitated slop and 50 cents won't even get you a cup of coffee. Well, at least not here in the NY area!

Psychoblues
07-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Man, I'll buy that!!!!! 50 cents for a coffee in New York?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

Whether she was outted inappropriately or not is irrelevant to the case in debate here. Do I believe our politicians collectively get away with inappropriate things? Sure, it probably happens daily. But not being happy about it is not a legal standpoint and won't get you far in our justice system. The judge is sworn to uphold the laws of our nation. I don't see how he acted in any way inappropriate by tossing out the case on his cited reasons. Now, you're not a lawyer, and neither am I. But it was Jo Jo who made assertions about the judge being a "bushie". His regurgitated slop and 50 cents won't even get you a cup of coffee. Well, at least not here in the NY area!

Was there political motive? I haven't seen all the evidense yet but I suspect there was. I guess it is the inquisitive Americaness in me.

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 06:46 AM
Man, I'll buy that!!!!! 50 cents for a coffee in New York?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

Was there political motive? I haven't seen all the evidense yet but I suspect there was. I guess it is the inquisitive Americaness in me.

No way! A cup of coffee by me will run you a minimum of $1.80. If you dare to drink the crap that Starbucks serves up, be prepared to part with anywhere from $2-$7!

I see no reason to believe there was anything political about the judges decision. But being inquisitive and wanting more information is fine. Disagreeing based on legal analysis is fine. Claiming that the decision was based on him being a "bushie", and failing to provide a shred of proof, is nothing more than a pile of crap left to stink the thread up by Jo Jo.

Psychoblues
07-21-2007, 07:01 AM
Is this about semantics, jimnyc?

No way! A cup of coffee by me will run you a minimum of $1.80. If you dare to drink the crap that Starbucks serves up, be prepared to part with anywhere from $2-$7!

I see no reason to believe there was anything political about the judges decision. But being inquisitive and wanting more information is fine. Disagreeing based on legal analysis is fine. Claiming that the decision was based on him being a "bushie", and failing to provide a shred of proof, is nothing more than a pile of crap left to stink the thread up by Jo Jo.

Or is it just a pissing contest about intents?

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 07:08 AM
Is this about semantics, jimnyc?

Or is it just a pissing contest about intents?

This is about reality, and the facts. Again, I'm all ears to anyone willing to read the legal jargon and give a plausible reason as to why the judge was incorrect in his decision. I respond to facts and will happily acknowledge I am wrong if proved so. But Jo Jo is so blinded by his hatred for GWB and lack of knowledge on the issue that all he has in his arsenal is "rhetorical convenience". That may get him a cup of coffee in Osheekoboshee, but here on DP it gets him laughed at.

Psychoblues
07-21-2007, 07:16 AM
OK, hahahahaha. I'm laughing.

This is about reality, and the facts. Again, I'm all ears to anyone willing to read the legal jargon and give a plausible reason as to why the judge was incorrect in his decision. I respond to facts and will happily acknowledge I am wrong if proved so. But Jo Jo is so blinded by his hatred for GWB and lack of knowledge on the issue that all he has in his arsenal is "rhetorical convenience". That may get him a cup of coffee in Osheekoboshee, but here on DP it gets him laughed at.

Did you ever address his actual point? Did you give his thoughts a single positive consideration?

Hahahahahahaha. It is so funny I can't stop laughing.

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 07:22 AM
OK, hahahahaha. I'm laughing.

Did you ever address his actual point? Did you give his thoughts a single positive consideration?

Hahahahahahaha. It is so funny I can't stop laughing.

I pondered his statement for awhile. Then I re-read the judge's decision once again. Then I realized that Jo Jo was speaking from his rectum again.

And I did address his steaming pile of nothingness. You'll notice that in the several threads you have replied in with Jo Jo that he offers nothing more than his bias, and doesn't entertain facts. When forced to reply to the facts, he retreats back into his secluded delusional state.

Psychoblues
07-21-2007, 07:27 AM
I have been accused of much the same, jimnyc, and the idiots still persist.

I pondered his statement for awhile. Then I re-read the judge's decision once again. Then I realized that Jo Jo was speaking from his rectum again.

And I did address his steaming pile of nothingness. You'll notice that in the several threads you have replied in with Jo Jo that he offers nothing more than his bias, and doesn't entertain facts. When forced to reply to the facts, he retreats back into his secluded delusional state.

Have you concidered my ponderations?

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 07:30 AM
I have been accused of much the same, jimnyc, and the idiots still persist.

Have you concidered my ponderations?

Sure did, and as I already replied, I have no issue with those having doubts and desiring more information.

I have a few legal buddies. Maybe I'll post the judge's decision for them and see what they have to say, in an unbiased and strictly legal manner.

Psychoblues
07-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Your legal buddies are about as useful as mine, jimnyc.

Sure did, and as I already replied, I have no issue with those having doubts and desiring more information.

I have a few legal buddies. Maybe I'll post the judge's decision for them and see what they have to say, in an unbiased and strictly legal manner.

Tell me what the Judge might decide? Your interpretations, like mine, ain't shit.

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Your legal buddies are about as useful as mine, jimnyc.

Tell me what the Judge might decide? Your interpretations, like mine, ain't shit.

The judge has already decided. There's not much left but legal analysis of his decision, and I've read nothing or seen nothing that leads me to believe his decision was anything other than correct.

JohnDoe
07-21-2007, 07:42 AM

What is UNFAIR is that this Judge made the determination, without any evidence to support his determination, that what Libby, Armitage, the vp, and Rove did was legal.

The Judge PREDETERMINED that they did nothing outside of their normal job duties, and that being the case, according to a Law that Congress had put in, there is no Law Suit to be had.

This judge was WRONG imo, to make this assumption with no evidence in hand to support this assumption that nothing was done to her outside of the norm by these whitehouse employees.

The Judge was WRONG in making this determination and should have let this case go forward, so that the victim can prove their case, that the actions of these people were outside of their normal duties and in fact, breaking the Law on the release of classified information without ever notifying the Originating Classifier that the info would be declassified.

She would have to show this in her case to be true, in order to win her case and I recognize this, but she should not have been shut down by this...imo...partisan dismisal by this Judge.

Psychoblues
07-21-2007, 07:51 AM
You never answered the question that I proposed.

The judge has already decided. There's not much left but legal analysis of his decision, and I've read nothing or seen nothing that leads me to believe his decision was anything other than correct.

How is the outting of a covert CIA agent identity any embellishment of American values?

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 07:57 AM
What is UNFAIR is that this Judge made the determination, without any evidence to support his determination, that what Libby, Armitage, the vp, and Rove did was legal.

The Judge PREDETERMINED that they did nothing outside of their normal job duties, and that being the case, according to a Law that Congress had put in, there is no Law Suit to be had.

This judge was WRONG imo, to make this assumption with no evidence in hand to support this assumption that nothing was done to her outside of the norm by these whitehouse employees.

The Judge was WRONG in making this determination and should have let this case go forward, so that the victim can prove their case, that the actions of these people were outside of their normal duties and in fact, breaking the Law on the release of classified information without ever notifying the Originating Classifier that the info would be declassified.

She would have to show this in her case to be true, in order to win her case and I recognize this, but she should not have been shut down by this...imo...partisan dismisal by this Judge.

With all due respect, John, all you've offered is your opinion, and nothing legally speaking to dispute his findings. It is not his duty to prove what others did was legal, it is up to those bringing the suit forth to prove what was done was illegal. He dismissed the suit based on "jurisdictional grounds" and I haven't seen you provide anything to show that was either "wrong" or inappropriate, other than your opinion of course.

Again, anyone can simply claim bias, but I'll listen more intently when someone can show me specifically how he acted so.

Would you like me to post his exact ruling, and you can support what you say by pointing out, legally, what he did "wrong"?

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 08:01 AM
You never answered the question that I proposed.

How is the outting of a covert CIA agent identity any embellishment of American values?

First off, I've never been sufficiently convinced that she was "outted".

But to answer your question in an unbiased manner, I wouldn't think such a move would hold up to "my" American values. But my American values see no legal wrongdoing or mistakes in the judge's decision.

JohnDoe
07-21-2007, 08:31 AM
With all due respect, John, all you've offered is your opinion, and nothing legally speaking to dispute his findings. It is not his duty to prove what others did was legal, it is up to those bringing the suit forth to prove what was done was illegal. He dismissed the suit based on "jurisdictional grounds" and I haven't seen you provide anything to show that was either "wrong" or inappropriate, other than your opinion of course.

Again, anyone can simply claim bias, but I'll listen more intently when someone can show me specifically how he acted so.

Would you like me to post his exact ruling, and you can support what you say by pointing out, legally, what he did "wrong"?

Please do post it Jim, it is possible that what I have read so far is just speculation and opinion of others....

I will concede that this could be the case....:salute:

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 08:38 AM
Please do post it Jim, it is possible that what I have read so far is just speculation and opinion of others....

I will concede that this could be the case....:salute:

https://ecf.dcd.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/show_public_doc?2006cv1258-52

It's in .pdf format, I'll see if I can convert it to plain text...

CockySOB
07-21-2007, 08:44 AM
From a legal standpoint however, the judge was right to toss the case at this time. In the future, if Joe and Val have exhausted their options via the Federal Tort Claims Act, they could try filing a civil action again, but not until.

Hurry up Val and Joe! Exhaust those claims so you can bring the issue back up in court! I wanna see the circus of discovery and cross-examination which will occur if this ever hits a civil courtroom.

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Ok, I was able to convert it:

-----------------------------------------

-1-
UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
VALERIE PLAME WILSON, et al.,
Plaintiffs,
v.
Civil Action No. 06-1258 (JDB)
I. LEWIS LIBBY, JR., et al.,
Defendants.
MEMORANDUM OPINION
Plaintiffs Valerie Plame Wilson and Joseph C. Wilson IV bring this action against four
high-level Executive Branch officials, including the Vice President of the United States and his
former Chief of Staff, based on the widely-publicized disclosure of the fact that Mrs. Wilson
worked as a covert operative for the Central Intelligence Agency. Plaintiffs allege that defendants
undertook a concerted effort to reveal this information to reporters in order to retaliate against and
discredit Mr. Wilson for his public criticism of the Bush Administration's handling of foreign
intelligence prior to this country's military involvement in Iraq. The Wilsons have sued the
defendants personally for money damages based on claims brought directly under the First and
Fifth Amendments of the Constitution and on a common-law tort claim for the public disclosure
of private facts. Now pending before the Court are motions to dismiss filed by each of the four
named defendants and the United States pursuant to Federal Rules of Civil Procedure 12(b)(1) and
12(b)(6).
This is a case of some notoriety and public interest. The merits of plaintiffs' claims pose
The circumstances giving rise to this action have been recounted extensively in the media,
including in press coverage of the criminal trial against defendant I. Lewis Libby, Jr. that took
place earlier this year. See United States v. Libby, No. 05-cr-394 (D.D.C.). It is therefore worth
reiterating that the facts as recounted in this opinion are drawn from the amended complaint,
which is presumed true and is liberally construed for purposes of a motion to dismiss. See, e.g.,
Leatherman v. Tarrant County Narcotics & Coordination Unit, 507 U.S. 163, 164 (1993).
-2-
important questions relating to the propriety of actions undertaken by our highest government
officials. Defendants' motions, however, raise issues that the Court is obliged to address before it
can consider the merits of plaintiffs' claims. As it turns out, the Court will not reach, and
therefore expresses no views on, the merits of the constitutional and other tort claims asserted by
plaintiffs based on defendants' alleged disclosures because the motions to dismiss will be granted.
For the reasons explained below, the Court finds that, under controlling Supreme Court
precedent, special factors -- particularly the remedial scheme established by Congress in the
Privacy Act -- counsel against the recognition of an implied damages remedy for plaintiffs'
constitutional claims. The Court also finds that it lacks subject-matter jurisdiction over the tort
claim because plaintiffs have not exhausted their administrative remedies under the Federal Tort
Claims Act, which is the proper, and exclusive, avenue for relief on such a claim.
BACKGROUND
In the 2003 State of the Union address, President George W. Bush told the nation that
\"[t]he British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities
of uranium from Africa.\" Am. Compl. ¶ 19(a). As it turned out, the veracity of the claim asserted
in these \"sixteen words\" had previously been disputed to some degree within the Executive
Branch. See id. ¶ 19(b). Newspaper articles published in May and June 2003 revealed that
plaintiff Joseph C. Wilson IV, a former Senior Director for Africa at the National Security
-3-
Council under President Clinton and the former U.S. ambassador to Gabon and São Tomé and
Principé under President George H.W. Bush, id. ¶ 8, was sent to Niger in 2002 to investigate
claims that Iraq had attempted to purchase uranium yellowcake from that country, id. ¶ 19(b), (i).
Mr. Wilson's trip was reportedly taken at the behest of the CIA, in response to inquiries made by
the Office of the Vice President into the alleged Iraqi activities. See id. Upon the conclusion of
the Niger trip, and well before the State of the Union address, Mr. Wilson advised the CIA and the
State Department that the allegations were based on forged documents and were wholly untrue.
Id. ¶ 19(b), (i).
The first newspaper column recounting this information, which was published in the New
York Times on May 6, 2003, referred to Mr. Wilson only as an unnamed former ambassador. Id.
¶ 19(b). In response to the article, defendant I. Lewis Libby, Jr., the Vice President's Chief of
Staff and Assistant for National Security Affairs, id. ¶ 9, asked the Under Secretary of State for
further information about the Niger trip, id. ¶ 19(c). The Under Secretary in turn directed the
State Department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research to prepare a report on the trip. Id. On or
before June 10, 2003, the Under Secretary received that report, which was labeled \"Secret\" and
referred to Valerie Plame Wilson as a Weapons of Mass Destruction (\"WMD\") manager for the
CIA. Id. ¶ 36. The particular paragraph mentioning Mrs. Wilson was prefaced with the letters
\"S/NF,\" which indicate that the information was both secret and not to be shared with foreigners.
Id. Based on information gathered for this report, the Under Secretary informed Libby by early
June 2003 that Mr. Wilson was the former ambassador in question. See id. ¶ 19(c). The Under
Secretary also advised Libby by June 12, 2003, that Mr. Wilson's wife worked at the CIA and the
scuttlebutt around the State Department was that she was involved in planning his trip. Id.
-4-
¶ 19(e). At about the same time, Libby spoke with a senior officer at the CIA, who told Libby that
Mr. Wilson's wife worked at the CIA and was thought (erroneously) to have been responsible for
Wilson's trip. Id. ¶ 19(f). Libby further learned from Vice President Cheney, who obtained the
information from the CIA, that Wilson's wife worked in the CIA's Counterproliferation Division.
Id. ¶ 19(h). Libby additionally heard, sometime between June 1 and July 8, 2003, that Wilson's
wife worked at the CIA from the Assistant to the Vice President for Public Affairs, who in turn
had learned that information \"from another government official.\" Id. ¶ 19(t).
When a second article about the sixteen words and the Niger trip was published in the
Washington Post on June 12, 2003, it also referred to Wilson only as a retired ambassador. Id.
¶ 19(i). The author of the Post article, Walter Pincus, had contacted the Office of the Vice
President prior to its publication. Pincus's call generated discussions in the Office of the Vice
President that involved Libby, among others. Id. ¶ 19(g). Two days after the Post article was
published, Libby met with a CIA briefer and \"expressed displeasure that CIA officials were
making comments to reporters critical of the Vice President's office.\" Id. ¶ 19(j). Furthermore, on
June 13, 2003, defendant Richard L. Armitage, Deputy Secretary of the Department of State, met
with reporter Bob Woodward in Armitage's office at the State Department and told Woodward
that Mrs. Wilson worked as a WMD analyst at the CIA -- information he had learned from a State
Department memorandum. Id. ¶ 37.
A third related article, entitled \"The First Casualty: The Selling of the Iraq War,\" appeared
in the online edition of The New Republic on June 19, 2003. Id. ¶ 19(k). This article again
referred to Mr. Wilson as an unnamed ambassador and quoted him anonymously as saying that
officials in the Bush Administration \"'knew the Niger story was a flat-out lie.'\" Id. The article
-5-
also accused the Bush Administration of suppressing dissent from the intelligence agencies with
respect to Iraq's WMD capacity. Id. The publication of The New Republic article prompted
further activity within the Office of the Vice President. Libby discussed the article with his
principal deputy, who asked Libby whether he could counter the reports that Vice President
Cheney had arranged for Mr. Wilson's trip by discussing that trip with journalists. Id. ¶ 19(l).
Libby \"responded that there would be complications at the CIA in disclosing that information
publicly, and that he could not discuss the matter on a non-secure line.\" Id. Libby did, however,
meet with reporter Judith Miller on June 23, 2003, and offered criticism of the CIA and \"informed
Miller that Wilson's wife might work at a bureau of the CIA.\" Id. ¶ 19(m).
Two additional publications are central to the events leading up to this action. First, an op-
ed written by Mr. Wilson, entitled \"What I Didn't Find in Africa,\" appeared in the July 6, 2003,
edition of the New York Times. Id. ¶ 19(n). In that op-ed, Mr. Wilson asserted \"that he had taken
a trip to Niger at the request of the CIA in February 2002 to investigate allegations that Iraq had
sought or obtained uranium yellowcake from Niger, . . . that he doubted Iraq had obtained
uranium from Niger recently\" and \"that the Office of the Vice President had been advised of the
results of his trip.\" Id. This information was also publicly conveyed by Mr. Wilson in the course
of his appearance as a guest on the July 6 edition of the television show \"Meet the Press,\" and in
an interview with a reporter that provided the basis for a July 6 Washington Post article about the
Niger trip. Id.
Subsequently, on July 14, 2003, several national newspapers, including the Chicago Sun
Times and The Washington Post, published a column by writer Robert Novak that discussed the
Niger trip. Id. ¶ 14. Novak's column stated, in relevant part: \"[Joseph] Wilson never worked for
-6-
the CIA, but his wife, Valerie Plame, is an Agency operative on weapons of mass destruction.
Two senior administration officials told me Wilson's wife suggested sending him to Niger . . . .\"
Id. The publication of Novak's column revealed to the public, for the first time, Mrs. Wilson's
\"previously secret and classified CIA identity.\" Id. The disclosure of this information \"destroyed
her cover as a classified CIA employee.\" Id. The Government has conceded that Mrs. Wilson's
identity was classified in July 2003 and that her \"cover was blown\" when Novak's column was
published. Id. ¶¶ 21, 22.
According to plaintiffs, \"[t]here is evidence that multiple officials in the White House
discussed [Valerie Wilson's] employment with reporters prior to . . . July 14.\" Id. ¶ 33 (quoting
Gov't's Resp. to Def.'s Third Mot. to Compel Disc. at 30 n.10, United States v. Libby, No. 05-cr-
394 (D.D.C. Apr. 5, 2006)). For example, on or before July 8, 2003, Vice President Cheney
informed Libby that President Bush \"specifically had authorized Libby to disclose to New York
Times reporter Judith Miller certain information from an October 2002 National Intelligence
Estimate concerning Iraq and weapons of mass destruction in order to rebut Mr. Wilson.\" Id. ¶
19(q). Libby met with Judith Miller on July 8, 2003. Id. ¶ 19(r). Libby and Miller discussed Mr.
Wilson's trip: Libby \"criticized the CIA reporting concerning Wilson's trip\" and \"advised Miller
of his belief that Wilson's wife worked at the CIA.\" Id. Also on that day, Libby asked the
Counsel to the Vice President \"in sum and substance, what paperwork there would be at the CIA
if an employee's spouse undertook an overseas trip.\" Id. ¶ 19(s).
On July 10 or 11, 2003, Libby was told by a senior White House official, thought by
plaintiffs to be defendant Karl C. Rove, that Robert Novak would be writing a story about
Wilson's wife based on a conversation that Rove had with him earlier that week. Id. ¶ 19(u).
-7-
Libby conversed with the press again himself on July 12, 2003. He spoke first with Matthew
Cooper, who asked whether Libby had heard that Mr. Wilson's wife was involved in sending Mr.
Wilson to Niger; Libby confirmed that he had also heard that information. Id. ¶ 19(w). Libby
then spoke with Judith Miller and discussed the fact that Mr. Wilson's wife worked at the CIA.
Id. ¶ 19(x).
Rove, who held several positions in the Bush White House, including Deputy Chief of
Staff and head of the Office of Political Affairs, id. ¶ 10, also spoke with reporters during this
time period. On July 11, 2003, Matthew Cooper of Time magazine called Rove at the White
House. Id. ¶ 27. Rove spoke to Cooper on the condition that the conversation was on \"deep
background,\" meaning that Cooper could use the information provided by Rove but could not
quote it or reveal its source. Id. Rove then told Cooper that Mrs. Wilson worked \"at the agency,\"
clearly referring to the CIA, and that she \"worked on 'WMD'\" issues and had been responsible for
sending Mr. Wilson to Niger. Id. ¶ 28. Rove ended the call by saying, \"I've already said too
much.\" Id. ¶ 29. According to Cooper, who later wrote a Time article about the incident entitled
\"What I Told the Grand Jury,\" his July 11 conversation with Rove was the first time he had heard
about Mr. Wilson's wife. Id. ¶¶ 26, 28. Shortly after the publication of Novak's article, Rove also
called Chris Matthews, the host of the television program \"Hardball,\" and told him off the record
that \"Mr. Wilson's wife was 'fair game.'\" Id. ¶ 30.
Plaintiffs also assert that Armitage spoke with reporters about Mrs. Wilson between the
publication of Mr. Wilson's op-ed and the date of the Novak article. On July 6, 2003, the day that
the op-ed appeared in the Times, Armitage directed that the Bureau of Intelligence and Research
update its report on the Wilson trip and send the report to the Secretary of State. Id. ¶ 38.
-8-
Armitage also met with Robert Novak at the State Department on July 8, 2003, and told Novak
that Mrs. Wilson worked for the CIA on WMD issues. Id. ¶ 39.
The Wilsons initiated this lawsuit on July 13, 2006. The complaint originally named
Libby, Rove, Cheney, and John Does 1-10 as defendants. The amended complaint, now the
operative complaint, was filed on September 13, 2006, and substituted Armitage for one of the
Doe defendants. Plaintiffs seek money damages for injuries they allegedly suffered as a result of
the public disclosure of Mrs. Wilson's covert operative status. In particular, plaintiffs assert that
they both fear for their safety and the safety of their children because they are potential targets for
\"those persons and groups who bear hostility to the United States and/or its intelligence officers.\"
Id. ¶ 42. Additionally, both plaintiffs allege that they have been impaired in pursuing professional
opportunities, id. ¶ 44, and that Mrs. Wilson was unable to continue with her chosen career path at
the CIA, id. ¶ 43.
Now pending before the Court are motions to dismiss filed by each of the four named
defendants. The United States has also filed both a Statement of Interest and a motion to dismiss.
On May 17, 2007, the Court heard argument on the many issues raised in these motions.
STANDARD OF REVIEW
All that the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure require of a complaint is that it contain \"'a
short and plain statement of the claim showing that the pleader is entitled to relief,' in order to
'give the defendant fair notice of what the . . . claim is and the grounds upon which it rests.\" Bell
Atl. Corp. v. Twombly, 550 U.S. ___, 127 S. Ct. 1955, 1964 (2007) (quoting Conley v. Gibson,
355 U.S. 41, 47 (1957)); accord Erickson v. Pardus, 551 U.S. ___, 127 S. Ct. 2197, 2200 (2007)
(per curiam). Although \"detailed factual allegations\" are not necessary to withstand a Rule
-9-
12(b)(6) motion to dismiss, to provide the \"grounds\" of \"entitle[ment] to relief,\" a plaintiff must
furnish \"more than labels and conclusions\" or \"a formulaic recitation of the elements of a cause of
action.\" Bell Atl. Corp., 127 S. Ct. at 1964-65; see also Papasan v. Allain, 478 U.S. 265, 286
(1986). Instead, the complaint's \"[f]actual allegations must be enough to raise a right to relief
above the speculative level, on the assumption that all the allegations in the complaint are true
(even if doubtful in fact).\" Bell Atl. Corp., 127 S. Ct. at 1965 (citations omitted). Hence,
although \"a well-pleaded complaint may proceed even if it strikes a savvy judge that actual proof
of those facts is impossible, and 'that a recovery is very remote and unlikely,'\" id. (quoting Scheuer
v. Rhodes, 416 U.S. 232, 236 (1974)), the \"threshold requirement\" of Fed. R. Civ. P. 8(a)(2) is
\"that the 'plain statement' possess enough heft to 'sho[w] that the pleader is entitled to relief,'\" id.
at 1966 (quoting Fed. R. Civ. P. 8(a)(2)).
The notice pleading rules, however, are not meant to impose a great burden on a plaintiff.
Dura Pharm., Inc. v. Broudo, 544 U.S. 336, 347 (2005); see Swierkiewicz v. Sorema N.A., 534
U.S. 506, 512-13 (2002). When the sufficiency of a complaint is challenged by a motion to
dismiss under Rule 12(b)(6), the plaintiff's factual allegations must be presumed true and should
be liberally construed in his or her favor. Leatherman v. Tarrant County Narcotics &
Coordination Unit, 507 U.S. 163, 164 (1993); Phillips v. Bureau of Prisons, 591 F.2d 966, 973
(D.C. Cir. 1979); see also Erickson, 127 S. Ct. at 2200 (citing Bell Atl. Corp., 127 S. Ct. at 1965).
The plaintiff must be given every favorable inference that may be drawn from the allegations of
fact. Scheuer, 416 U.S. at 236; Sparrow v. United Air Lines, Inc., 216 F.3d 1111, 1113 (D.C. Cir.
2000). However, \"the court need not accept inferences drawn by plaintiffs if such inferences are
unsupported by the facts set out in the complaint. Nor must the court accept legal conclusions
-10-
cast in the form of factual allegations.\" Kowal v. MCI Commc'n Corp., 16 F.3d 1271, 1276 (D.C.
Cir. 1994); see also Domen v. Nat'l Rehab. Hosp., 925 F. Supp. 830, 837 (D.D.C. 1996) (citing
Papasan, 478 U.S. at 286).
Under Rule 12(b)(1), the plaintiff bears the burden of establishing that the court has
subject-matter jurisdiction. See Grand Lodge of Fraternal Order of Police v. Ashcroft, 185 F.
Supp. 2d 9, 13 (D.D.C. 2001) (noting that court has \"affirmative obligation to ensure that it is
acting within the scope of its jurisdictional authority\"); see also Pitney Bowes, Inc. v. U.S. Postal
Serv., 27 F. Supp. 2d 15, 18 (D.D.C. 1998). A court must accept as true all the factual allegations
contained in the complaint when reviewing a motion to dismiss pursuant to Rule 12(b)(1), and the
plaintiff should receive the benefit of all favorable inferences that can be drawn from the alleged
facts. See Leatherman, 507 U.S. at 164; EEOC v. St. Francis Xavier Parochial Sch., 117 F.3d
621, 624-25 n.3 (D.C. Cir. 1997).
ANALYSIS
Plaintiffs have asserted five causes of action in their amended complaint. Four are what
are commonly known as Bivens claims: they seek money damages directly under the Constitution
for alleged violations of plaintiffs' constitutional rights. See Bivens v. Six Unknown Fed.
Narcotics Agents, 403 U.S. 388 (1971). The fifth cause of action, for the public disclosure of
private facts, is asserted under District of Columbia tort law. Because defendants have raised
arguments common to all of the Wilsons' Bivens claims, the Court will turn to them first.
I.
Plaintiffs' Constitutional Claims
Each of plaintiffs' four Bivens claims is predicated on the alleged violation of a distinct
constitutional right. The first claim, pled on Mr. Wilson's behalf alone, alleges that defendants
-11-
Libby, Rove, and Cheney violated the First Amendment by disclosing Mrs. Wilson's covert status
in order to retaliate against Mr. Wilson for exercising his speech rights. See Am. Compl. ¶¶ 46-
49. The remainder of the Bivens claims are grounded in alleged Fifth Amendment violations.
Both plaintiffs assert a cause of action against defendants Libby, Rove, and Cheney for the
violation of plaintiffs' rights under the Equal Protection Clause. Am. Compl. ¶¶ 50-54. This
\"class of one\" Equal Protection claim is premised on defendants having allegedly subjected
plaintiffs to treatment different than that accorded to others similarly situated. See id. ¶¶ 51-52.
See generally Vill. of Westbrook v. Olech, 528 U.S. 562, 564 (2000) (per curiam) (recognizing
\"class of one\" Equal Protection claims). The third cause of action alleges that all four named
defendants violated Mrs. Wilson's constitutional right to privacy -- specifically, a right to
informational privacy with respect to her covert identity -- which plaintiffs argue is protected by
the Due Process Clause, at least where the public disclosure of that information constitutes a state-
created danger. See Am. Compl. ¶¶ 55-58. Plaintiffs' final Bivens claim, which is asserted under
the procedural and substantive elements of the Due Process Clause, alleges that the four named
defendants deprived Mrs. Wilson of a constitutionally protected property interest in her continued
employment with the CIA. See id. ¶¶ 59-64.
Defendants have challenged each of these Bivens claims on qualified-immunity grounds.
Under general qualified-immunity principles, government officials are \"shielded from liability for
civil damages insofar as their conduct does not violate clearly established statutory or
constitutional rights of which a reasonable person would have known.\" Harlow v. Fitzgerald, 457
U.S. 800, 818 (1982). \"A court evaluating a claim of qualified immunity 'must first determine
whether the plaintiff has alleged the deprivation of an actual constitutional right at all, and if so,
The Supreme Court has treated the special-factors analysis as a prudential matter that can
be addressed prior to jurisdictional issues. See Schweiker v. Chilicky, 487 U.S. 412, 429 n.3
(1988). This Court therefore finds it unnecessary to reach defendants' argument that Mr. Wilson
lacks standing to assert the First Amendment claim. Cf. Pub. Citizen v. U.S. Dist. Ct., 486 F.3d
1342, 1347-49 (D.C. Cir. 2007).
-12-
proceed to determine whether that right was clearly established at the time of the alleged
violation.'\" Wilson v. Layne, 526 U.S. 603, 609 (1999) (quoting Conn v. Gabbert, 526 U.S. 286,
290 (1999)). Whether evaluated under this qualified-immunity analysis, or for failure to state a
claim upon which relief can be granted, see Broudy v. Mather, 460 F.3d 106, 116 (D.C. Cir.
2006), defendants have raised substantial questions as to the viability of plaintiffs' constitutional
claims. The Court need not resolve these questions, however, because all of plaintiffs' Bivens
claims spring from a common event -- the alleged disclosure by defendants of Mrs. Wilson's
identity as a covert CIA agent -- that implicates \"special factors counselling hesitation\" in the
recognition of a Bivens remedy.
The special-factors analysis originated in the Bivens decision itself. The Supreme Court in
Bivens implied a cause of action for money damages directly under the Constitution against
federal officers who allegedly violated the plaintiff's Fourth Amendment rights. See 403 U.S. at
397. In weighing whether to recognize this implied private right of action, however, the Court
noted that \"[t]he present case involves no special factors counselling hesitation in the absence of
affirmative action by Congress.\" Id. at 396. Although the Bivens Court did not elaborate fully on
the meaning of \"special factors,\" the concept has since been applied where an \"alternative,
existing process for protecting the interest amounts to a convincing reason for the Judicial Branch
to refrain from providing a new and freestanding remedy in damages.\" Wilkie v. Robbins, 551
U.S. ___, 127 S. Ct. 2588, 2598 (2007). Furthermore, even in the absence of an existing remedial
-13-
process, a district court should determine whether any other special factors weigh against the
recognition of a new Bivens remedy. See id. This Court will follow the course recently laid out
by the Supreme Court in Wilkie v. Robbins and begin with the question whether the existence of a
comprehensive, remedial statutory scheme precludes plaintiffs' claims.
A.
Comprehensive Remedial Scheme
The Supreme Court first declined to recognize a Bivens remedy because of the existence
of an alternative remedial scheme in Bush v. Lucas, 462 U.S. 367 (1983). Bush presented the
question whether a federal employee could obtain money damages under the First Amendment for
an adverse personnel action taken against him in alleged retaliation for critical comments he had
made about his employer to the news media. See id. at 369. The Supreme Court declined to
recognize such a claim because a complex mix of legislation, executive orders, and detailed Civil
Service Commission regulations comprised an \"elaborate, comprehensive scheme\" that provided
substantive and procedural remedies for improper federal personnel actions. Id. at 385. Even
though the Court assumed that \"a federal right [had] been violated and Congress [had] provided a
less than complete remedy for the wrong,\" id. at 373, it noted that the proper question was \"not
what remedy the court should provide for a wrong that would otherwise go unredressed,\" id. at
388. Rather, the Court asked \"whether an elaborate remedial system that has been constructed
step by step, with careful attention to conflicting policy considerations, should be augmented by
the creation of a new judicial remedy.\" Id. It answered no: \"In all events, Congress is in a far
better position than a court to evaluate the impact of a new species of litigation between federal
employees on the efficiency of the civil service.\" Id. at 389.
The Supreme Court revisited this line of special-factors analysis in Schweiker v. Chilicky,
-14-
487 U.S. 412 (1988), a case brought by recipients of Social Security disability benefits who
sought money damages for alleged due process violations in the termination of those benefits. See
id. at 420. After reviewing its prior pronouncements on the meaning of \"special factors,\" the
Court observed that
the concept of \"special factors counselling hesitation in the absence of affirmative
action by Congress\" has proved to include an appropriate judicial deference to
indications that congressional inaction has not been inadvertent. When the design of
a Government program suggests that Congress has provided what it considers
adequate remedial mechanisms for constitutional violations that may occur in the
course of its administration, we have not created additional Bivens remedies.
Id. at 423. The Court declined to recognize a Bivens claim for respondents because Congress had,
through the Social Security Act, already \"addressed the problems created by state agencies'
wrongful termination of disability benefits. \" Id. at 429. Although the Act did not provide for the
exact remedy sought, i.e., money damages against the officials responsible for the wrongful
terminations, id. at 424, the Court deferred to Congress as \"the body charged with making the
inevitable compromises required in the design of a massive and complex welfare benefits
program,\" id. at 429.
Just last month in Wilkie v. Robbins, 551 U.S. ___, 127 S. Ct. 2588 (2007), the Supreme
Court again considered whether the existence of alternative means for protecting a
constitutionally-based interest precluded a Bivens remedy. The plaintiff in Wilkie alleged that
officials of the Bureau of Land Management violated his Fourth and Fifth Amendment rights
when they undertook a prolonged course of \"harassment and intimidation\" in an effort to obtain an
easement across his property. Id. at 2593. Although the plaintiff had \"an administrative, and
ultimately a judicial, process for vindicating virtually all of his complaints,\" that process took the
form of \"an assemblage of state and federal, administrative and judicial benches applying
-15-
regulations, statutes and common law rules.\" Id. at 2600. The Court held that this \"patchwork\" of
remedies was unlike the \"'elaborate remedial scheme[s]'\" that were designed to protect the
interests of the plaintiffs in Bush and Chilicky, and could not definitively support an inference that
\"Congress expected the Judiciary to stay its Bivens hand.\" Id. (quoting Bush, 462 U.S. at 388).
The Court ultimately concluded, however, that other special factors counseled against recognizing
a Bivens remedy for the plaintiff's alleged injuries. See id. at 2604-05.
Relying on Bush and Chilicky, and fully consistent with Wilkie, the D.C. Circuit has
gleaned several \"general principles\" governing when the existence of a statutory remedial scheme
counsels hesitation in creating a Bivens remedy. Spagnola v. Mathis, 859 F.2d 223, 228 (D.C.
Cir. 1988) (en banc) (per curiam). \"If the comprehensiveness of a statutory scheme cannot be
gainsaid and it appears that 'congressional inaction [in providing for damages remedies] has not
been inadvertent[,]' courts should defer to Congress' judgment with regard to the creation of
supplemental Bivens remedies.\" Id. at 227-28 (alterations in original) (quoting Chilicky, 487 U.S.
at 423). When these circumstances exist, \"courts must withhold their power to fashion damages
remedies\" unless Congress has \"plainly expressed an intention that the courts preserve Bivens
remedies.\" Id. at 228. Furthermore, \"the Chilicky Court made clear that it is the
comprehensiveness of the statutory scheme involved, not the 'adequacy' of specific remedies
extended thereunder, that counsels judicial abstention.\" Id. at 227. Applying these principles, the
D.C. Circuit has held that, for purposes of the special-factors analysis, the Civil Service Reform
Act (\"CSRA\"), Title VII, and the congressionally created administrative process governing
veterans' benefits decisions are all comprehensive statutory schemes precluding Bivens remedies.
See Thomas v. Principi, 394 F.3d 970, 975-76 (D.C. Cir. 2005) (veterans' benefits); Spagnola, 859
Libby also suggests that the Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 (\"CSRA\"), Pub. L. No.
95-454, 92 Stat. 1111 (codified as amended in scattered sections of 5 U.S.C.), which governs
personnel actions taken against federal employees, precludes any Bivens remedy here. He argues
that, to the extent plaintiffs' claims involve adverse effects on Mrs. Wilson's employment, those
claims fall within the purview of, and thus are precluded by, the CSRA. Libby's Mem. in Support
of Mot. to Dismiss at 13; see, e.g., Spagnola, 859 F.2d at 228-29. Armitage makes a similar
argument based on the internal grievance procedures available to CIA employees. Armitage's
Mem. in Support of Mot. to Dismiss at 13-14. See generally U.S. Gen. Accounting Office,
GAO/NSIAD-96-6, Intelligence Agencies: Personnel Practices at CIA, NSA, and DIA Compared
with Those of Other Agencies 31 (1996) (describing CIA grievance procedures).
Although plaintiffs allege that Mrs. Wilson was unable to continue with her work as a
covert CIA operative as a result of defendants' actions, see Am. Compl. ¶¶ 14, 43, they have not
alleged that any adverse employment actions were taken against Mrs. Wilson, or otherwise
described any actions taken against Mrs. Wilson by her employer. The crux of plaintiffs' claims
concerns the alleged disclosure of private information -- conduct that is not addressed by the
CSRA or the CIA grievance procedures one way or the other.
-16-
F.2d at 229 (CSRA); Ethnic Employees of Library of Congress v. Boorstin, 751 F.2d 1405, 1415
(D.C. Cir. 1985) (Title VII).
Defendants in this action argue that two statutes, whether considered independently or in
combination, counsel hesitation under the special-factors analysis. The first and most important
of these statutes is the Privacy Act, 5 U.S.C. § 552a (2000), which \"regulate[s] the collection,
maintenance, use, and dissemination of information\" about individuals by federal agencies.
Privacy Act of 1974, Pub. L. No. 93-579, § 2(a)(5), 88 Stat. 1896, 1896. The second statute, the
Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982, 50 U.S.C. §§ 421-426 (2000), criminalizes the
intentional public disclosure of information identifying a covert agent. Defendants contend that
by enacting these statutes, Congress considered the proper recourse for individuals whose
personal information has been improperly disclosed by government officials -- the alleged activity
giving rise to plaintiffs' claims. Furthermore, the absence in these statutory schemes of a civil
damages action against the offending officials was not inadvertent, and Congress has not plainly
-17-
expressed an intention that the courts preserve Bivens remedies. Therefore, defendants argue, this
Court should not imply additional damages remedies under the Constitution.
Plaintiffs respond as an initial matter that the special-factors analysis urged by defendants
is less compelling, if not irrelevant, because their complaint alleges violations of constitutional
provisions that have given rise to viable Bivens claims in the past. In support of this argument,
plaintiffs cite Davis v. Passman, 442 U.S. 228, 248 (1979), in which the Supreme Court permitted
a damages action directly under the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment, and two cases in
which the D.C. Circuit recognized Bivens claims for First Amendment violations, see
Haynesworth v. Miller, 820 F.2d 1245, 1255 (D.C. Cir. 1987), overruled in part on other grounds
by Hartman v. Moore, 547 U.S. 250, 126 S. Ct. 1695 (2006); Dellums v. Powell, 566 F.2d 167,
194 (D.C. Cir. 1977). As defendants point out, however, Bivens actions are not recognized
Amendment by Amendment in a wholesale fashion. Rather, they are context-specific. \"For
example, a Bivens action alleging a violation of the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment
may be appropriate in some contexts, but not in others.\" FDIC v. Meyer, 510 U.S. 471, 484 n.9
(1994). Notably, the Supreme Court has \"consistently refused to extend Bivens liability to any
new context\" in the twenty-seven years since Carlson v. Green, 446 U.S. 14 (1980) (Eighth
Amendment). Correctional Servs. Corp. v. Malesko, 534 U.S. 61, 68 (2001); see also Wilkie, 551
U.S. at ___, 127 S. Ct. at 2597 (\"[I]n most instances we have found a Bivens remedy
unjustified.\").
Thus, it is not enough for plaintiffs to point to cases recognizing Bivens actions under the
First and Fifth Amendments generally. Although damages actions have been permitted under the
First Amendment against federal officials who instituted criminal prosecutions in retaliation for
-18-
the exercise of protected speech rights, see Hartman, 126 S. Ct. at 1701; see also Trudeau v. Fed.
Trade Comm'n, 456 F.3d 178, 190 & n.22 (D.C. Cir. 2006), the Supreme Court has nonetheless
\"declined to create a Bivens remedy against individual Government officials for a First
Amendment violation arising in the context of federal employment,\" Malesko, 534 U.S. at 68
(citing Bush v. Lucas). And while Davis established that a congressional employee may assert a
Bivens remedy under the Due Process Clause for unconstitutional employment discrimination, see
442 U.S. at 248, the Supreme Court later refused to imply a remedy under the Due Process Clause
for the improper denial of social security disability benefits, see Chilicky, 487 U.S. at 420. The
proper question, then, is not whether plaintiffs may assert a Bivens remedy for a First or Fifth
Amendment violation, but whether they may do so on the basis of the disclosure by federal
officials of allegedly private information concerning Mrs. Wilson that was maintained within the
Executive Branch. Answering this question requires consideration of the Privacy Act.
1. Privacy Act
The Privacy Act, as noted, regulates how federal agencies maintain and disseminate
information pertaining to individuals. Among its requirements, the Act prohibits the disclosure of
\"any record which is contained in a system of records by any means of communication to any
person, or to another agency,\" unless the disclosure occurs pursuant to the request of the
individual to whom the record pertains, or if one of twelve enumerated exceptions to the
disclosure prohibition applies. § 552a(b). Agencies must account for certain types of disclosures
made under these provisions. § 552a(c). The Act also \"provides for various sorts of civil relief to
individuals aggrieved by failures on the Government's part to comply with [its] requirements.\"
Doe v. Chao, 540 U.S. 614, 618 (2004). One such form of relief enables an individual to seek
-19-
money damages when an agency intentionally or willfully fails to comply with the disclosure
requirements \"in such a way as to have an adverse effect on an individual.\" § 552a(g)(1)(D),
(g)(4). Although Congress did not create a civil cause of action against individual government
officials for violations of the Act, those agency officers or employees who improperly disclose
information covered by the Act face possible criminal penalties. See § 552a(i)(1).
The D.C. Circuit has already confirmed that the Privacy Act may constitute a
comprehensive statutory scheme precluding Bivens remedies against government officials who
improperly disclose a plaintiff's personal information. See Chung v. U.S. Dep't of Justice, 333
F.3d 273, 274 (D.C. Cir. 2003), aff'g in relevant part, No. 00-cv-1912, 2001 WL 34360430, at
*10-*12 (D.D.C. Sept. 20, 2001). In doing so, it has joined a number of courts from other
circuits, including the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit. See Downie v. City of Middleburg
Heights, 301 F.3d 688, 698-99 (6th Cir. 2002); Khalfani v. Sec'y, Dep't of Veterans Affairs, No.
94-cv-5720, 1999 WL 138247, at *7 (E.D.N.Y. Mar. 10, 1999); Sullivan v. U.S. Postal Serv., 944
F. Supp. 191, 195-96 (W.D.N.Y. 1996); Williams v. Dep't of Veteran Affairs, 879 F. Supp. 578,
587-88 (E.D. Va. 1995); Patterson v. FBI, 705 F. Supp. 1033, 1045 n. 16 (D.N.J. 1989). The
plaintiff in Chung brought an action against Department of Justice officials who disclosed
information to journalists revealing Chung's participation in a confidential investigation. See
2001 WL 34360430, at *10-*12. Chung alleged that \"he suffered substantial emotional distress
and mental anguish, fearing for his life and the lives of his family members\" as a result of the
publication of national news stories describing his role in the investigation. Id. at *1. The court
of appeals affirmed \"the dismissal of Chung's constitutional claims because, as the district court
correctly held, they are encompassed within the remedial scheme of the Privacy Act.\" 333 F.3d at
-20-
274. As the district court noted, Congress has, with the Privacy Act, \"crafted what it considers to
be appropriate remedies for disclosure and record access violations.\" Id. at *10 (quoting
Williams, 879 F. Supp. at 587). Furthermore, the congressional findings accompanying the Act
make it \"quite clear that Congress found constitutional implications and concerns respecting
privacy matters as part of its reason for enacting the Privacy Act of 1974.\" Id. at *11. \"Given the
extensiveness of this remedial scheme, its failure to include additional remedies, such as damages
against individual officials or punitive damages, does not appear to be inadvertent.\" Id. at *10
(quoting Williams, 879 F. Supp. at 587). Accordingly, the district court in Chung declined to
supplement the Privacy Act with additional Bivens remedies.
Chung has since been applied by two other judges of this Court on facts also very similar
to those alleged in this action. In Hatfill v. Ashcroft, 404 F. Supp. 2d 104 (D.D.C. 2005), Judge
Walton dismissed a Fifth Amendment Bivens claim asserted against unnamed federal officials by
Steven Hatfill, who was publicly named a \"person of interest\" in connection with the anthrax
attacks that terrorized the northeast United States in 2001. See id. at 116. Hatfill alleged that the
officials conspired to release false information about him to the public in order to \"render him
unemployable in his field of chosen profession,\" namely, \"biowarfare preparedness and
countermeasures.\" Id. at 113, 115. The district court held that \"the Privacy Act, being a
comprehensive legislative scheme that provides a meaningful remedy for the kinds of harm Dr.
Hatfill alleges he has suffered, qualifies it [as] a special factor counselling hesitation against the
applicability of Bivens.\" Id. at 116.
Likewise, the plaintiff in Sudnick v. Dep't of Defense, 474 F. Supp. 2d 91 (D.D.C. 2007),
filed suit against an official at the Department of Defense (\"DoD\") who allegedly \"publicly
-21-
stigmatiz[ed] [plaintiff] through a campaign of making false representations and allegations
against [plaintiff] within and outside of DoD, including to print and broadcast media.\" Id. at 98
(second and third alterations in original). The plaintiff sought a Bivens remedy under the Fifth
Amendment on the ground that the disclosures \"deprived him of the liberty to work in his chosen
field as a senior manager in a government agency.\" Id. at 98. In an opinion released after the
briefing in this action was completed, Judge Huvelle dismissed the claim, which was \"based
entirely on [defendant's] alleged disclosure of 'Privacy Act-covered information pertaining to
[plaintiff],'\" for the reasons stated in Chung. Id. at 100 (second alteration in original).
Plaintiffs attempt to distinguish these cases by suggesting that their claims, unlike those of
Chung and Hatfill, simply fall outside of the Privacy Act's scope altogether. In support of this
argument, they observe that both Chung and Hatfill pled Privacy Act claims in addition to seeking
Bivens remedies. Pls.' Mem. in Opp'n to Mots. to Dismiss at 53-54. Plaintiffs then contend that
the Act is a \"highly technical statute\" that only applies to a subset of federal agency records, and
there is \"no factual predicate\" for the presumption that the alleged disclosures here involved
information covered by the Act. Id. Taking the amended complaint's allegations as true, however,
Libby learned about Mrs. Wilson's employment from various sources within the CIA, the State
Department, and the Office of the Vice President. Am. Compl. ¶ 19. Vice President Cheney
obtained the information from the CIA. Id. ¶ 19(h). Armitage learned about Mrs. Wilson from a
State Department memorandum. Id. ¶ 37. Although there are no allegations explicitly naming the
source of Rove's knowledge, the only logical inference that can be drawn from the facts that are
asserted in the amended complaint is that Rove learned about Mrs. Wilson from one of the
aforementioned sources: the CIA, a White House office, or the State Department.
Although the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency may promulgate regulations
exempting records maintained by the CIA from some Privacy Act obligations, see § 552a(j)(1), he
or she may not do so with respect to the Act's disclosure requirements, see § 552a(j).
-22-
Notably, plaintiffs do not contest that the Department of State and the CIA are federal
agencies required to abide by the Privacy Act's disclosure requirements. To the extent plaintiffs
are suggesting that Bivens claims can only fall within the scope of the Privacy Act for purposes of
the special-factors analysis when they are pled in terms of the Privacy Act's requirements, the
Court simply does not agree. Otherwise, any plaintiff could assert a Bivens claim in lieu of an
arguably less-desirable Privacy Act claim by way of artful pleading.
The Wilsons do contest the application of the Privacy Act to the Office of the Vice
President, which they argue is not an agency and therefore does not come within the Act's purview
for special-factors purposes. The Privacy Act defines \"agency\" by reference to the Freedom of
Information Act (\"FOIA\"), 5 U.S.C. § 552 (2000). See § 552a(a)(1) (cross-referencing FOIA
§ 552(e), now codified at § 552(f)). FOIA, in turn, defines \"agency\" as \"any executive
department, military department, Government corporation, Government controlled corporation, or
other establishment in the executive branch of the Government (including the Executive Office of
the President), or any independent regulatory agency.\" § 552(f)(1). Despite the statute's explicit
reference to the Executive Office of the President, the Supreme Court has held on the basis of
\"unambiguous\" legislative history that the Office of the President does not fall within FOIA's
definition of \"agency.\" See Kissinger v. Reporters Comm. for Freedom of the Press, 445 U.S.
136, 156 (1980) (citing H.R. Rep. No. 93-1380 (\"FOIA Conference Committee Report\"), at 15
(1974) (Conf. Rep.)). The vast majority of courts faced with the issue in the Privacy Act context
have followed Kissinger in holding that the Office of the President and the Vice President do not
-23-
fall within the Privacy Act's definition of agency. See, e.g., Jones v. Exec. Office of President,
167 F. Supp. 2d 10, 19 (D.D.C. 2001); Dale v. Exec. Office of President, 164 F. Supp. 2d 22, 26
(D.D.C. 2001); see also Judicial Watch, Inc. v. Nat'l Energy Policy Dev. Group, 219 F. Supp. 2d
20, 55 (D.D.C. 2002) (Office of Vice President); Schwarz v. U.S. Dep't of Treasury, 131 F. Supp.
2d 142, 147-48 (D.D.C. 2000) (same). But see Alexander v. FBI, 971 F. Supp. 603, 606-07
(D.D.C. 1997).
This Court does not need to resolve the issue here. Even assuming that the Office of the
Vice President is not an agency under the Privacy Act for the reasons given in Kissinger, it still
comes within the purview of the Act for purposes of the special-factors analysis. It is enough to
observe that Congress contemplated whether the Privacy Act should adopt a definition of agency
that explicitly excluded \"units in the Executive Office whose sole function is to advise and assist
the President,\" FOIA Conference Committee Report at 15, and then did so. As the district court in
Jones explained with reference to conference reports and floor debates, \"[t]here is every indication
from the legislative history that the drafters of the Privacy Act, in choosing to apply the FOIA
definition of 'agency' to the Privacy Act, were cognizant of the Conference Committee Report
prepared in connection with the 1974 FOIA Amendments.\" Jones, 167 F. Supp. 2d at 19.
Furthermore, the Conference Committee Report suggests congressional awareness of the potential
constitutional difficulties that would arise from the inclusion of close presidential advisors within
the definition of \"agency.\" See FOIA Conference Committee Report at 15 (stating intention to
codify Soucie v. David, 448 F.2d 1067 (D.C. Cir. 1971), in which D.C. Circuit observed potential
difficulties of applying FOIA to the Executive, see id. at 1071-72 & nn.9-12). Thus, this Court
concludes that if the Office of the Vice President is exempt from the requirements of the Privacy
The D.C. Circuit did not face that situation directly in Spagnola because the plaintiffs had
a limited administrative remedy under the CSRA. See 859 F.2d at 225-26 & n.9.
-24-
Act, that exemption \"has not been inadvertent,\" see Chilicky, 487 U.S. at 423.
Plaintiffs also attempt to distance themselves from Chung and Hatfill on the slightly
different ground that the Privacy Act afforded a possible remedy to the plaintiffs in those cases but
does not afford a possible remedy to plaintiffs here. Assuming arguendo that the Wilsons do not
have any potential Privacy Act remedies for at least some of the alleged disclosures, there is
language from the district judges in Chung and Hatfill that, when read in isolation, might seem to
support plaintiffs' view. See Hatfill, 404 F. Supp. 2d at 116 (\"[T]he Privacy Act, being a
comprehensive legislative scheme that provides a meaningful remedy for the kinds of harm Dr.
Hatfill alleges he has suffered, qualifies it [as] a special factor counselling hesitation against the
applicability of Bivens.\"); Chung, 2001 WL 34360430, at *10 (\"Congress has specifically
addressed the circumstances alleged by Williams and has provided significant and meaningful
remedies that he may pursue.\" (quoting Williams, 879 F. Supp. at 587)); see also Downie, 301
F.3d at 696; Sudnik, 474 F. Supp. 2d at 100. But these cases cannot stand for the proposition that
a statutory scheme must provide \"meaningful remedies\" to a plaintiff in order to preclude a Bivens
claim under the special-factors analysis. The D.C. Circuit has clearly indicated that a Bivens
remedy may be precluded by a statutory scheme that provides a plaintiff with \"'no remedy
whatsoever.'\" Spagnola, 859 F.2d at 228 (quoting Chilicky, 487 U.S. at 423). Other circuits have
held exactly that with respect to the CSRA. See Lee v. Hughes, 145 F.3d 1272, 1275 (11th Cir.
1998) (dismissing Bivens claim brought by plaintiff for whom CSRA provided no judicial or
administrative remedies); accord Saul v. United States, 928 F.2d 829, 840 (9th Cir. 1991);
-25-
Lombardi v. Small Bus. Admin., 889 F.2d 959, 961 (10th Cir. 1989); Volk v. Hobson, 866 F.2d
1398, 1403-04 (Fed. Cir. 1989).
These courts have followed to its logical conclusion the Supreme Court's directive to defer
to Congress's judgment when Congress has constructed \"an elaborate remedial system\"
encompassing a plaintiff's claim. Bush, 462 U.S. at 388. This deference is no less proper when
Congress denies rather than provides a remedy to certain classes of plaintiffs or claims. See Lee,
145 F.3d at 1276 (\"In light of Congress's deliberate exclusion of certain employees from the
protections of the CSRA and this country's long-respected separation of powers doctrine, courts
should be hesitant to provide an aggrieved plaintiff with a remedy where Congress intentionally
has withheld one.\"). As the Supreme Court observed in Bush, the relevant question in such a
situation \"is not what remedy the court should provide for a wrong that would otherwise go
unredressed,\" but instead whether a carefully constructed statutory scheme \"should be augmented
by the creation of a new judicial remedy.\" 462 U.S. at 388; see also Chilicky, 487 U.S. at 421-22
(\"The absence of statutory relief for a constitutional violation . . . does not by any means
necessarily imply that courts should award money damages against the officers responsible for the
violation.\"). To the extent that plaintiffs lack a Privacy Act remedy here, then, it is because
Congress failed to provide relief for individuals in plaintiffs' position, and has not done so
inadvertently. For the Court nonetheless to provide those remedies would upset the careful
balance created by the statutory scheme. The Court finds, therefore, that the Privacy Act is a
special factor counselling against the implication of a Bivens remedy for plaintiffs' claims.
Finally, plaintiffs assert that a Bivens remedy is necessary because for them, as for the
plaintiffs in Bivens and Davis, \"it is damages or nothing.\" See Pls.' Opp'n at 51 (quoting Davis,
-26-
442 U.S. at 245; Bivens, 403 U.S. at 410 (Harlan, J., concurring in judgment)). Of course, as just
explained, the adequacy of some other remedy is not determinative. See Bush, 462 U.S. at 372-
73; Spagnola, 859 F.2d at 227. Moreover, the Supreme Court has indicated that it is the
availability of an alternative avenue of relief, rather than the plaintiff's level of success in pursuing
other remedies, that is the relevant consideration. The plaintiff in Wilkie, for example, \"took
advantage of some opportunities, and let others pass; although he had mixed success, he had the
means to be heard.\" Wilkie, 551 U.S. at __, 127 S. Ct. at 2599. Thus the Court held that the
\"situation does not call for creating a constitutional cause of action for want of other means of
vindication.\" Id. at 2600 (emphasis added)); see also Malesko, 534 U.S. at 74 (noting that
plaintiff's \"lack of alternative tort remedies was due solely to strategic choice\" and therefore he
was \"not a plaintiff in search of a remedy\"). But the Supreme Court has never directly answered
the question \"whether the Constitution itself requires a judicially fashioned damages remedy in the
absence of any other remedy to vindicate the underlying right, unless there is an express textual
command to the contrary.\" Bush, 462 U.S. at 378 n.14 (emphasis added); see also Malesko, 534
U.S. at 72. But cf. Tenet, 544 U.S. at 8 (dismissing due process claims against Director of Central
Intelligence as non-justiciable under Totten doctrine). The courts of appeals, however, have not
hesitated to dismiss Bivens actions under such circumstances when special factors are present.
See, e.g., Lee, 145 F.3d at 1275 (\"[M]ore recent Supreme Court cases do not reflect the Davis
Court's willingness to recognize a Bivens claim in instances where there is a clear congressional
intent to exclude certain classes of employees from a statute's comprehensive remedial scheme.\").
This Court would not hesitate either, were it actually confronted with the issue. As an
initial matter, it appears that plaintiffs could have stated colorable Privacy Act claims based on
Carlson v. Green, 446 U.S. 14 (1980), is not to the contrary. Carlson held that the
possibility of an FTCA claim does not preempt a Bivens claim based on the same underlying
allegations. Id. at 23. Unlike in Davis, however, the Court in Carlson did not imply a Bivens
remedy based on a \"damages or nothing\" rationale. See Malesko, 534 U.S. at 70 (distinguishing
between rationales of Carlson and Davis); Holly v. Scott, 434 F.3d 287, 295-96 (4th Cir. 2006)
(same). Instead, Carlson created a Bivens action to \"provide an otherwise nonexistent cause of
action against individual officers alleged to have acted unconstitutionally,\" Malesko, 534 U.S. at
70, where Congress had \"made it crystal clear\" that the FTCA and Bivens were \"parallel,
complementary causes of action,\" Carlson, 446 U.S. at 20, and \"no special factors counselling
hesitation\" were present, id. at 19.
Plaintiffs' failure to exhaust their FTCA remedies cannot justify the recognition of their
Bivens claims. If that were true, plaintiffs could seek perhaps greater remedies under a Bivens
implied right of action than they otherwise would have obtained had they been more diligent in
protecting their statutory rights.
-27-
some of the alleged disclosures, particularly those involving information allegedly learned by
Armitage from a State Department memorandum. See § 552a(g)(1)(D), (g)(4). Furthermore,
plaintiffs have asserted a state-law tort claim against the individual federal officials named in this
action. Although this cause of action has now been converted into an FTCA claim against the
United States, see infra, it nonetheless negates plaintiffs' assertion that a Bivens claim must be
implied because they are left without any other possible remedy.
2. Intelligence Identities Protection Act
Defendants have also asserted that the Intelligence Identities Protection Act of 1982
(\"IIPA\") is a comprehensive statutory scheme barring plaintiffs' Bivens claims. See Pub. L. No.
97-200, 96 Stat. 122 (codified as amended at 50 U.S.C. §§ 421-426 (2000)). The IIPA prohibits
the intentional disclosure of information identifying a covert agent and subjects an individual
making such a disclosure to fines and a prison sentence of up to ten years. § 421. It does not
provide for civil enforcement or for any other civil remedies. Defendants contend that Congress
exhaustively considered the appropriate means of preventing the disclosure of a covert operative's
-28-
identity when it passed the IIPA and made the calculated decision to impose criminal sanctions to
the exclusion of civil remedies. In support of the argument that the lack of civil remedies was
deliberate, Libby contrasts the IIPA with the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978, which
provides for private causes of action in addition to criminal penalties. See 50 U.S.C. §§ 1809,
1810 (2000).
One of Congress's goals in enacting the IIPA certainly was \"to protect intelligence officers
and sources from [the] harm\" that results from the disclosure of covert identities. S. Rep. No. 97-
201, at 11 (1981). But defendants do not cite, and the Court is unaware of, any legislative history
indicating that Congress rejected or even considered the possibility of civil remedies for such
disclosures. If anything, the legislative history shows that Congress was responding to a series of
high-profile incidents in which individuals had purposefully put covert agents at risk, and the IIPA
was a targeted effort to punish such behavior criminally. See, e.g., S. Rep. No. 97-201, at 1
(referencing \"systematic effort by a small group of Americans . . . to disclose the names of covert
intelligence agents\" and noting that \"[n]umerous proposals have been made . . . for a criminal
statute to punish such disclosure\"); id. at 8-9 (characterizing IIPA as \"a definitive affirmation . . .
that anyone who engages in . . . identification and exposure of the identities of [undercover
agents] should be punished\"). More generally, defendants have not been able to point to any case
in which a criminal statute has been found to constitute a Bivens special factor. In this Court's
view, the existence of a purely criminal statute that provides for no civil remedies at all cannot
fairly be said to constitute a comprehensive remedial statutory scheme for purposes of assessing
the availability of a Bivens remedy. See Bush, 462 U.S. at 388 (asking \"whether an elaborate
remedial system . . . should be augmented by the creation of a new judicial remedy\" (emphasis
-29-
added)). Criminal provisions are generally not remedial, and extending the special-factors
analysis to defer to criminal statutes would radically alter the analytical framework that the
Supreme Court has cautiously employed. This Court is thus not willing to say that the IIPA,
standing alone, constitutes an \"alternative, existing process for protecting the interest\" of plaintiffs
for purposes of the Bivens analysis. Wilkie, 551 U.S. at ___, 127 S. Ct. at 2598. That is not to
say that the IIPA is altogether irrelevant to the special-factors analysis. Certainly it is, in
combination with the Privacy Act and other special factors discussed below, part of the panoply of
reasons weighing against the judicial creation of a new Bivens cause of action. See id. at 2600.
B.
Other Special Factors Counselling Against a Bivens Remedy
Even if this Court did not conclude that the Privacy Act is a comprehensive remedial
scheme \"amount[ing] to a convincing reason for the Judicial Branch to refrain from providing a
new and freestanding remedy in damages,\" id., plaintiffs' claims would nonetheless fail under
\"step two\" of the Bivens analysis, which requires \"weighing reasons for and against the creation of
a new cause of action, the way common law judges have always done.\" Id. As the Supreme
Court has recently noted in Wilkie, \"any freestanding damages remedy for a claimed
constitutional violation has to represent a judgment about the best way to implement a
constitutional guarantee; it is not an automatic entitlement no matter what other means there may
be to vindicate a protected interest.\" Id. at 2597. In this case, the Bivens remedy requested by
plaintiffs -- a cause of action implied under the Constitution for the alleged disclosure of Mrs.
Wilson's status as a covert CIA operative -- raises significant separation-of-powers and
justiciability concerns. Given these considerations, this Court believes that the decision whether
to recognize a new Bivens remedy in this context \"'is more appropriately for those who write the
-30-
laws, rather than for those who interpret them.'\" Sanchez-Espinoza v. Reagan, 770 F.2d 202, 208
(D.C. Cir. 1985) (quoting Bush, 462 U.S. at 380); see also Wilkie, 551 U.S. at __, 127 S. Ct. at
2604-05.
Defendants argue that creating a private right of action for the disclosure of covert identity
would \"be inimical to\" the Executive Branch's broad exercise of discretion to protect information
pertaining to national security. See Rove's Mem. in Support of Mot. to Dismiss at 18. \"The
authority to protect such information falls on the President as head of the Executive Branch and as
Commander in Chief\" and \"exists quite apart form any explicit congressional grant.\" Dep't of
Navy v. Egan, 484 U.S. 518, 527 (1988). Of course, Congress has acknowledged the need for
Executive Branch discretion over intelligence matters in a number of its enactments, including in
the National Security Act, which \"vested in the Director of Central Intelligence [now the Director
of National Intelligence] very broad authority to protect all sources of intelligence information
from disclosure,\" CIA v. Sims, 471 U.S. 159, 168-69 (1985); see National Security Act of 1947,
ch. 343, § 102(d)(3), 61 Stat. 495, 498 (current version at 50 U.S.C.A. § 403-1(i) (2007)), and in
statutory exemptions for the CIA from certain Privacy Act requirements, see § 552a(j)(1).
Defendants note that the IIPA is also consistent with this discretion because it criminalizes the
disclosure of only that information the United States \"is taking affirmative measures to conceal,\"
§ 421, and enforcement of the Act is left to the government's prosecutorial discretion.
The need to maintain Executive Branch discretion regarding the protection of national
security information raises serious questions of justiciability with respect to a civil damages
remedy for unauthorized disclosure of covert identity. In particular, the doctrine established in
Totten v. United States, 92 U.S. 105 (1876), \"prohibit[s] suits against the Government based on
-31-
covert espionage agreements.\" Tenet v. Doe, 544 U.S. 1, 3 (2005). The Totten Court stated \"as a
general principle, that public policy forbids the maintenance of any suit in a court of justice, the
trial of which would inevitably lead to the disclosure of matters which the law itself regards as
confidential, and respecting which it will not allow the confidence to be violated.\" 92 U.S. at 107
(emphasis added). This broad prohibition applies to suits alleging constitutional violations: \"No
matter the clothing in which alleged spies dress their claims, Totten precludes judicial review in
cases . . . where success depends upon the existence of their secret espionage relationship with the
Government.\" Tenet, 544 U.S. at 8; see id. (dismissing due process claim).
Plaintiffs argue that the Totten doctrine does not apply in this case because the relationship
between Mrs. Wilson and the CIA has been publicly revealed. For a slightly different reason, this
Court agrees that Totten does not squarely apply to plaintiffs' claims. The Government has
officially acknowledged, in documents filed in the Libby criminal case and at oral argument in
this matter, that Mrs. Wilson was a covert operative for the CIA, see Mot. Hearing Tr. 19:12-15,
and the Supreme Court has explained that \"Totten's core concern\" -- \"preventing the existence of
the plaintiff's relationship with the Government from being revealed\" -- is not implicated in \"a suit
brought by an acknowledged (though covert) employee of the CIA.\" Tenet, 544 U.S. at 10. The
principles underlying Totten might yet have special applicability to specific causes of action,
however. For example, in order to prevail on the merits of their equal protection claim, plaintiffs
would have to allege and eventually demonstrate \"disparate treatment of similarly situated
parties.\" 3833 Conn. LLC v. District of Columbia, 336 F.3d 1068, 1075 (D.C. Cir. 2003). In
other words, plaintiffs would need to introduce evidence pertaining to the Government's treatment
of other covert agents whose espionage relationships have not been acknowledged -- evidence that
Alternatively, this claim might be subject to dismissal under the state-secrets doctrine,
assuming that the United States properly asserted the privilege. See, e.g., Sterling v. Tenet, 416
F.3d 338, 346-48 (4th Cir. 2005); Linder v. Dep't of Defense, 133 F.3d 17, 23 (D.C. Cir. 1998).
However, the Supreme Court has confirmed that in certain circumstances the state-secrets doctrine
provides insufficient protection for intelligence sources, and dismissal under Totten is required:
\"The possibility that a suit may proceed and an espionage relationship may be revealed, if the state
secrets privilege is found not to apply, is unacceptable . . . .\" Tenet, 544 U.S. at 11.
-32-
might reveal the identities of those agents. Ultimately, however, although the Totten doctrine
might not altogether preclude plaintiffs' action on its own accord, the principles reflected in the
doctrine weigh in the special-factors analysis for two reasons.
First, as explained above, Bivens remedies are context-specific. As the Supreme Court has
observed, \"there are varying levels of generality at which one may apply 'special factors' analysis.\"
United States v. Stanley, 483 U.S. 669, 681 (1987); see also Wilkie, 551 U.S. at ___, 127 S. Ct. at
2604. Yet courts have consistently avoided focusing on the specific facts of a given case when
determining whether to recognize an implied damages remedy. See, e.g., Stanley, 483 U.S. at 681
(\"A test for liability that depends on the extent to which particular suits would call into question
military discipline and decisionmaking would itself require judicial inquiry into, and hence
intrusion upon, military matters.\"); Spagnola, 859 F.2d at 228 (\"[T]he Court regards a case-by-
case examination of the particular administrative remedies available to a given plaintiff as
unnecessary.\"). For example, the D.C. Circuit declined to recognize a Bivens action by foreign
nationals for allegedly unconstitutional actions taken abroad because \"as a general matter the
danger of foreign citizens using the courts in situations such as this to obstruct the foreign policy
of our government is sufficiently acute that we must leave to Congress the judgment whether a
damage remedy should exist.\" Sanchez-Espinoza, 770 F.2d at 209 (emphasis added). The court
did not consider whether \"the present litigation [was] motivated by considerations of geopolitics
-33-
rather than personal harm,\" or whether the particular suit would actually result in the obstruction
of foreign policy. Id. But, although Totten would not require the dismissal of all of plaintiffs'
claims here, there may well be situations in which a Bivens claim for the intentional disclosure of
a covert operative's status would directly implicate the Totten doctrine. This possibility, which
arises because the alleged public disclosure of information pertaining to covert identity does not
equate to official government recognition of an espionage relationship, weighs generally against
recognizing a Bivens claim in this context.
Second, even those claims that do not fall directly under the Totten doctrine will inevitably
require judicial intrusion into matters of national security. For example, in this case plaintiffs
have alleged that \"Mrs. Wilson was impaired in her ability to carry out her duties at the CIA.\"
Am. Compl. ¶ 43. This statement not only speaks to her injuries generally but also relates to the
merits of her Fifth Amendment deprivation of property claim, at least under certain legal theories.
See O'Donnell v. Barry, 148 F.3d 1126, 1140-41 (D.C. Cir. 1998) (describing Fifth Amendment
stigma claims). Plaintiffs' substantive due process claim depends upon whether defendants
increased the danger of third-party violence against plaintiffs. See generally Butera v. District of
Columbia, 235 F.3d 637, 651 (D.C. Cir. 2001). The resolution of these claims therefore might
require an exploration into Mrs. Wilson's specific duties as a covert operative. Her class-of-one
equal protection claim would necessitate an even broader investigation into CIA practices.
Plaintiffs argue that the United States could invoke the state secrets privilege or utilize other
established methods for the protection of sensitive information. But, in this and in future cases,
\"[s]uch procedures, whatever they might be, still entail considerable risk\" of revealing sensitive
information. Sterling, 416 F.3d at 348; see also Sims, 471 U.S. at 175 (\"Even a small chance that
-34-
some court will order disclosure of a source's identity could well impair intelligence gathering.\").
At least one other district court has accordingly denied a Bivens remedy in light of the risks
incurred by discovery into issues of national security. See Arar v. Ashcroft, 414 F. Supp. 2d 250,
281-83 (E.D.N.Y. 2006) (denying constitutional claims premised on \"extraordinary rendition\" of
plaintiff to Syria).
Such potential difficulties associated with claims based on the disclosure of information
relating to covert CIA operatives gives the Court reason to pause before extending Bivens to this
context. \"[U]nless Congress specifically has provided otherwise, courts traditionally have been
reluctant to intrude upon the authority of the Executive in military and national security affairs.\"
Egan, 484 U.S. at 530 (citing Chappell v. Wallace, 462 U.S. 296 (1983)). Here, given that
Congress has not provided a private right of action for the disclosure of a covert operative's
identity, and in light of the \"host of considerations that must be weighed and appraised\" in
deciding whether to imply such an action directly under the Constitution, Sanchez-Espinoza, 770
F.2d at 208, the nature of the information disclosed in this suit provides sound reason to hesitate
before judicially implying a Bivens remedy. Cf. Wilkie, 551 U.S. at ___, 127 S. Ct. at 2604-05
(declining to recognize Bivens remedy because of \"difficulty of devising a workable cause of
action\" and observing that \"any damages remedy . . . may come better, if at all, through
legislation\").
In sum, the Court finds that the existence of special factors counsels against judicial
implication of plaintiffs' Bivens claims in this setting. Accordingly, there is no need to address
defendants' alternative arguments for dismissal of these claims, including their assertions of
-35-
qualified immunity and the Vice President's claim of absolute immunity.
II.
Public Disclosure of Private Facts
Plaintiffs have also asserted against all defendants a common-law claim for the public
disclosure of private facts, which is a form of the tort of invasion of privacy. This tort claim is
based on the same underlying allegations as their Bivens claims -- that defendants caused the
publication of the allegedly private fact that Mrs. Wilson was a covert CIA operative -- and
contends that defendants did so in a manner that would be highly offensive to a reasonable person
of ordinary sensibilities. See Am. Compl. ¶¶ 65-68.
The Federal Employees Liability Reform and Tort Compensation Act of 1988, commonly
known as the Westfall Act, 28 U.S.C. § 2679 (2000), provides the exclusive remedy for a claim of
damages arising from any \"negligent or wrongful act or omission of any employee of the
Government while acting within the scope of his office or employment.\" § 2679(b)(1). The Act
thus \"accords federal employees absolute immunity from common-law tort claims arising out of
acts they undertake in the course of their official duties.\" Osborn v. Haley, 549 U.S. ___, 127 S.
Ct. 881, 887 (2007). Upon certification by the Attorney General or his designee that the
individual defendant was acting within the scope of his office or employment, the United States is
substituted as the sole defendant, and the action proceeds under the Federal Tort Claims Act
(\"FTCA\"), 28 U.S.C. §§ 2671-2680 (2000). See § 2679(d)(1). A scope-of-employment
certification has been filed in this action on behalf of all defendants. See U.S. Mot. to Dismiss
Ex. 1 (Certification of Scope of Employment); see also 28 C.F.R. § 15.4 (2005). The United
States has also filed a motion to dismiss the tort claim on the ground that plaintiffs have failed to
exhaust their administrative remedies under the FTCA.
-36-
Plaintiffs challenge the Westfall certification in this action. The scope-of-employment
certification is subject to judicial review. Gutierrez de Martinez v. Lamagno, 515 U.S. 417, 420
(1995). However, the certification \"must be respected unless and until the District Court
determines that [the original defendant], in fact, engaged in conduct beyond the scope of his
employment.\" Osborn, 127 S. Ct. at 900. In other words, the Westfall certification \"constitute[s]
prima facie evidence that the employee was acting within the scope of his employment.\" Council
on Am. Islamic Relations v. Ballenger (\"CAIR\"), 444 F.3d 659, 662 (D.C. Cir. 2006) (per
curiam). Hence, \"a plaintiff challenging the government's scope-of-employment certification
bears the burden of coming forward with specific facts rebutting the certification.\" Stokes v.
Cross, 327 F.3d 1210, 1214 (D.C. Cir. 2003) (internal quotation marks omitted). The plaintiff
must \"raise a material dispute\" regarding the certification \"by alleging facts that, if true, would
establish that the defendants were acting outside the scope of their employment.\" Id. at 1215. \"If
there is a material dispute as to the scope issue the district court must resolve it at an evidentiary
hearing.\" Kimbro v. Velten, 30 F.3d 1501, 1509 (D.C. Cir. 1994).
The ensuing scope-of-employment inquiry is governed by the law of agency as applied in
the District of Columbia, where the tort allegedly occurred. See Stokes, 327 F.3d at 1214. \"As its
framework for determining whether an employee acted within the scope of employment, the Court
of Appeals for the District of Columbia looks to the Restatement (Second) of Agency (1957).\"
Majano v. United States, 469 F.3d 138, 141 (D.C. Cir. 2006) (internal quotation marks omitted).
Under the Restatement, an employee's conduct falls within the scope of employment
if: 1) it is of the kind of conduct he is employed to perform; 2) it occurs substantially
within the authorized time and space limits; 3) it is actuated, at least in part, by a
purpose to serve the master; and 4) if force is intentionally used by the servant against
another, the use of force is not unexpected by the master.
-37-
Id. at 141 (citing Restatement (Second) of Agency § 228). The fourth Restatement element is
irrelevant in this action because plaintiffs have not alleged the use of force. The remaining three
elements are contested by plaintiffs, however, and will be considered by the Court in turn.
With respect to the first Restatement element, plaintiffs argue that defendants' actions
were different in kind from that authorized because their conduct was illegal and \"placed the
national security at risk.\" Pls.' Opp'n at 36. As plaintiffs describe the conduct at issue, defendants
engaged \"in a deliberate campaign to discredit and punish Mr. Wilson for his constitutionally
protected public statements by intentionally disclosing classified information.\" Id. The test for
this element of the scope-of-employment inquiry is disjunctive: defendant's conduct is of the
kind he or she was employed to perform if it was either \"'of the same general nature as that
authorized' or 'incidental to the conduct authorized.'\" CAIR, 444 F.3d at 664 (quoting Haddon v.
United States, 68 F.3d 1420, 1424 (D.C. Cir. 1995)). By focusing on the alleged public
disclosure of Mrs. Wilson's covert status, plaintiffs have therefore taken too narrow a view of the
relevant conduct. D.C. agency law \"directs courts to look beyond alleged intentional torts\" when
assessing whether the actions were of the kind authorized. Id. Instead, the \"proper inquiry . . .
'focuses on the underlying dispute or controversy, not on the nature of the tort, and is broad
enough to embrace any intentional tort arising out of a dispute that was originally undertaken on
the employer's behalf.'\" Id. (quoting Weinberg v. Johnson, 518 A.2d 985, 992 (D.C. 1986)). In
short, plaintiffs cannot rebut the Westfall certification simply by arguing that defendants' actions
were illegal. See Ramey v. Bowsher, 915 F.2d 731, 734 (D.C. Cir. 1990) (per curiam) (\"[I]f the
scope of an official's authority or line of duty were viewed as coextensive with the official's
lawful conduct, then immunity would be available only where it is not needed . . . .\").
-38-
The CAIR case is illustrative. The Council on American-Islamic Relations (\"CAIR\")
brought an action for defamation and slander against Congressman Cass Ballenger based on his
statement that CAIR was the fund-raising arm of a foreign terrorist organization. 444 F.3d at
662. Ballenger made the statement to a reporter during a conversation about Ballenger's marital
difficulties. See id. The district court accepted the Attorney General's Westfall certification and
dismissed the case. See id. at 663. On appeal, CAIR argued (like plaintiffs do here) that
Ballenger's tortious act -- the allegedly defamatory statement -- was not conduct of the kind he
was authorized to perform. Id. at 664. The court of appeals explained that CAIR's argument
ignored the possibility that the statement was made incidentally to authorized conduct and
clarified that the relevant \"underlying dispute or controversy\" for purposes of the scope-of-
employment inquiry \"was the phone call between Ballenger and [the reporter] discussing the
marital separation\" Id. \"The appropriate question, then, [was] whether that telephone
conversation -- not the allegedly defamatory sentence -- was the kind of conduct Ballenger was
employed to perform.\" Id. The court held that it was. See id. (\"Speaking to the press during
regular work hours in response to a reporter's inquiry falls within the scope of a congressman's
'authorized duties.'\").
As CAIR makes clear, this Court must look beyond the alleged disclosure of Mrs.
Wilson's covert identity and assess whether the underlying conduct was of the type defendants
were employed to perform. The proper inquiry in this Court's view, then, is whether talking to
the press (or, in Cheney's case, participating in an agreement to do so, see Am. Compl. ¶ 24) in
order to discredit a public critic of the Executive Branch and its policies is within the scope of
defendants' duties as federal employees. See Am. Compl. ¶ 3. The alleged means by which
Armitage, as Deputy Secretary of State, was accorded \"all authorities and functions vested
in the Secretary of State.\" Delegation of Authority 245, 66 Fed. Reg. 22,065, 22,065 (May 2,
2001).
-39-
defendants chose to rebut Mr. Wilson's comments and attack his credibility may have been highly
unsavory. But there can be no serious dispute that the act of rebutting public criticism, such as
that levied by Mr. Wilson against the Bush Administration's handling of prewar foreign
intelligence, by speaking with members of the press is within the scope of defendants' duties as
high-level Executive Branch officials. Thus, the alleged tortious conduct, namely the disclosure
of Mrs. Wilson's status as a covert operative, was incidental to the kind of conduct that
defendants were employed to perform.
Plaintiffs' arguments with respect to the third element of the scope-of-employment test --
whether the conduct is actuated by a purpose to serve the master -- suffer from the same flawed
focus on the tort itself rather than the underlying conduct. Plaintiffs observe, undoubtedly
correctly, that the unauthorized disclosure of classified information, and in particular of the
identity of a covert agent, can never be in the interest of the United States. But, like the inquiry
into the kind of conduct authorized, the \"'intent criterion focuses on the underlying dispute or
controversy, not on the nature of the tort, and it is broad enough to embrace any intentional tort
arising out of a dispute that was originally undertaken on the employer's behalf.'\" Stokes, 327
F.3d at 1216 (quoting Weinberg, 518 A.2d at 992). Furthermore, \"even a partial desire to serve
the master is sufficient\" to satisfy the requirement. CAIR, 444 F.3d at 665. Plaintiffs have
alleged that defendants' conversations with reporters were intended, at least in part, to discredit
Mr. Wilson. Am. Compl. ¶ 2. The Court finds that attempts by high-ranking officials to discredit
a critic of the Executive Branch's policies satisfy the Restatement's purpose requirement.
-40-
Finally, the second element of the scope-of-employment inquiry looks to whether the
alleged conduct occurs substantially within authorized time and space limits. Plaintiffs concede
that this element is satisfied as to Armitage, who allegedly met with reporters in his State
Department office. Plaintiffs admittedly have not alleged the time and place of the other
defendants' actions; they now argue that discovery is necessary to determine those facts. But
\"[n]ot every complaint will warrant further inquiry into the scope-of-employment issue.\" Stokes,
327 F.3d at 1216. In order to obtain discovery, plaintiffs must first \"plead sufficient facts that, if
true, would rebut the certification.\" Id. To allow discovery based on the absence of factual
allegations in plaintiffs' complaint would turn this standard on its head.
In any event, there would seem to be little utility in applying the concept of authorized
time and space limits to high-level government officials such as the Vice President, his Chief of
Staff, and a close advisor to the President. As the United States observed in its reply brief, the
\"Vice President does not turn into a private citizen on Sundays.\" U.S. Reply in Support of Mot.
to Dismiss at 8-9. The amended complaint underscores this very point: it alleges, for example,
that before Libby spoke with reporters Cooper and Miller on Sunday, July 12, 2003, he had flown
that morning with Vice President Cheney and \"other officials\" on Air Force Two and discussed
with those officials how to respond to media inquiries. Am. Compl. ¶ 19(v). The bare assertion
that these actions took place on a Sunday -- a day on which plaintiffs also allege that at least some
official government business had taken place -- is not sufficient to rebut the certification that the
actions occurred within the scope of employment.
In sum, the Court finds that plaintiffs have not pled sufficient facts that, if true, would
rebut the Westfall certification filed in this action. Hence, neither further discovery nor an
Given this Court's lack of subject-matter jurisdiction over the tort claim, this opinion will
not address defendants' alternative arguments, including their statute-of-limitations defense, as to
why the claim fails as a matter of law.
-41-
evidentiary hearing on the scope-of-employment issue is warranted, and the United States is
substituted as the sole defendant for the claim of public disclosure of private facts. Furthermore,
plaintiffs have not contested defendants' assertions that they have not exhausted their
administrative remedies as required by the FTCA. See § 2679(d)(4); § 2675(a) (\"An action shall
not be instituted upon a claim against the United States for money damages . . . unless the
claimant shall have first presented the claim to the appropriate Federal agency and his claim shall
have been finally denied by the agency in writing . . . .\"). This Court therefore lacks subject-
matter jurisdiction over plaintiffs' tort claim for public disclosure of private facts. See Jackson v.
United States, 730 F.2d 808, 809 (D.C. Cir. 1984) (per curiam).
CONCLUSION
For the reasons given above, plaintiffs have failed to state a claim upon which relief can
be granted with respect to their four causes of action asserted directly under the Constitution.
Furthermore, this Court lacks subject-matter jurisdiction over plaintiffs' claim for public
disclosure of private facts. Accordingly, defendants' motions to dismiss are granted. A separate
order accompanies this memorandum opinion.
/s/ John D. Bates
JOHN D. BATES
United States District Judge
Dated: July 19, 2007

JohnDoe
07-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Jim, thank you for the ruling, I need to digest what I have read, I will respond once I think I understand it! hahaha! JD

Joe Steel
07-21-2007, 11:29 AM

Judges are held to no standards but those of the judicial system. A judge is free to respect law, precedent and cultural traditions but he also may ignore them entirely without fear on anything but reversal. In this case, the judge decided Party loyalty was more important than the interests of the American People. Bates has dishonored himself and injured the rest of us.

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Judges are held to no standards but those of the judicial system. A judge is free to respect law, precedent and cultural traditions but he also may ignore them entirely without fear on anything but reversal. In this case, the judge decided Party loyalty was more important than the interests of the American People. Bates has dishonored himself and injured the rest of us.

Jo Jo, do you have a foul taste from speaking out your ass so often? I don't think I've ever seen someone throw out so much unsubstantiated crap before. The only injury I see is to my poor brain from having to read your pathetic pissings day after day. Please, get yourself at least a few days worth of education before posting again, it's getting embarrassing.

CockySOB
07-21-2007, 01:27 PM

Wrong. Perhaps you need to actually read teh decision before spewing crap like that. The judge dismissed the case, but did so without prejudice which allows the case to be refiled once the Wilsons have exhausted their legal options under the Federal Tort Claims Act.

How pathetically typical you are of the librull lemmings who take their talking points from the DU or DailyKOS. Try reading the actual decisions once in a while and you might find that your handlers have lied to you continually all these years.

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm betting that Jo Jo never read a lick of the decision. She's too stupid to understand the legal terminology. It's very sad when you have someone spouting off complete crap when the facts are readily available for reading.

Joe Steel
07-21-2007, 03:28 PM
Wrong. Perhaps you need to actually read teh decision before spewing crap like that. The judge dismissed the case, but did so without prejudice which allows the case to be refiled once the Wilsons have exhausted their legal options under the Federal Tort Claims Act.

What has this to do with my comment?

Joe Steel
07-21-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm betting that Jo Jo never read a lick of the decision. She's too stupid to understand the legal terminology. It's very sad when you have someone spouting off complete crap when the facts are readily available for reading.

Wrong again.

Time after time, nothing but wrong.

CockySOB
07-21-2007, 03:51 PM

You claim the judge ruled based on party affiliation/cronyism and dishonored himself. Moreover, you had prior called him an ideologue, and your statements about him in this thread are disparaging without due call.

As anyone with a lick of sense can see, he upheld the law and the established process for redress available to the Wilsons - a proper judicial action and about as non-partisan as you could ever hope to see.

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Wrong again.

Time after time, nothing but wrong.

Oh, Jo Jo, don't be silly now! I just counted, and I received no less than 15 + reps from this thread and the MM thread for handing your tiny ass to you on a platter. So although not many are chiming in to make you look like more of a fool, they're laughing at you nonetheless. Apparently I'm the only one who gets joy out of picking on the mentally challenged.

Just avoid the mirrors at all cost. I once heard that if you don't see yourself as often you won't realize just how pathetic you really are.

BTW - that sure is a pretty flower you're wearing. :laugh2:

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 03:59 PM
You claim the judge ruled based on party affiliation/cronyism and dishonored himself. Moreover, you had prior called him an ideologue, and your statements about him in this thread are disparaging without due call.

As anyone with a lick of sense can see, he upheld the law and the established process for redress available to the Wilsons - a proper judicial action and about as non-partisan as you could ever hope to see.

Well stated! Basically what I said earlier, but with more intelligence and etiquette! :laugh2:

Kathianne
07-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Oh, Jo Jo, don't be silly now! I just counted, and I received no less than 15 + reps from this thread and the MM thread for handing your tiny ass to you on a platter. So although not many are chiming in to make you look like more of a fool, they're laughing at you nonetheless. Apparently I'm the only one who gets joy out of picking on the mentally challenged.

Just avoid the mirrors at all cost. I once heard that if you don't see yourself as often you won't realize just how pathetic you really are.

BTW - that sure is a pretty flower you're wearing. :laugh2:

You would have gotten another, but I can't give it.

jimnyc
07-21-2007, 04:04 PM
You would have gotten another, but I can't give it.

Oh no, you went public against Jo Jo. Now you'll feel the wrath of his flower! LOL

He'll just claim you're wrong, that you can give it, and that you avoided repping me out of rhetorical convenience. :laugh2:

07-21-2007, 04:12 PM

No, he cant. and no he hasnt. You cant seem to understand that people who arent guilty shouldn't be held liable. Why is that so darn complicated?

07-21-2007, 04:14 PM

Demonstrates your ignorance and your propensity to disregard the facts.

I think the more accurate question is what doesnt it have to do with your comment?

Kathianne
07-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Oh no, you went public against Jo Jo. Now you'll feel the wrath of his flower! LOL

He'll just claim you're wrong, that you can give it, and that you avoided repping me out of rhetorical convenience. :laugh2:

Well, damn! :coffee:

shit, now I'm a post whore too!

07-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Well, damn! :coffee:

shit, now I'm a post whore too!

how much do you charge to get a reall nice post from you;) lol

jimnyc
07-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Jo Jo, you came online this morning and didn't reply? I feel so sad and neglected. Are you going to tell us what is in the written decision to backup your delusional statements? Stop staring at the Michael Moore posters on your ceiling, pull your panties up, and let us have it!

JohnDoe
07-22-2007, 09:54 AM

Good Morning Cocky!

If I have understood the Judge's ruling, he is saying that because Congress has passed a Law that says people working in the White House, like Libby, Cheney, Rove etc., are exempt from being sued by anyone in the Public, even IF THEY HARMED THEM, as long as it was something they legitimately (legally) did in the line of duty. Am I correct so far?

And this particular Judge, MADE THE DECISION HIMSELF, that what Cheney, Libby, Rove, Armitage, etc. did to relaliate against Wilson/Plame, WAS IN THE LINE OF DUTY.

This is where his partisanship COULD have come in to play on this decision, no????

He made a decision that what they did was legal, Plame is claiming that it was not.

So to me, it was wrong for him to make this "Predetermined decision" without a trial, where both sides get to present their evidence before a jury?

This was such a contemptuous issue and allowing her to sue for damages could have cleared up alot of things that seem to be left unanswered, and the feeling that Justice was not accomplished in this particular situation, regardless of what "side" of this issue you were on!

The Jury themselves felt sorry that Libby seemed to be getting the brunt of this issue, while OTHERS in the Whitehouse, such as the Vice President were sitting back and taking no heat. They really felt for Libby, but they knew he did commit the crimes he was charged with and found guilty on.

Fitzgerald left us with an ending statement that there was a DARK CLOUD over the VP's office regarding outing Plame.

I guess, all along you have been saying that Plame was not "proven" to be covert by the courts, therefore we can't say with legal certainty that she is....

Now granted I admit I differed with this sentiment of yours on this site and the other, and felt that the FBI and the Grand jury and Fitzgerald had already determined this, along with General Hayden, the DCI, declassifying enough for Waxman to say to us that "yes, she was covert and an undercover intelligence officer."

But getting back to what you have said about the courts not determining either way, whether she was covert or not covert....

IF this is the case Cocky, and YOU are CORRECT, then HOW could this judge make the determination that Cheney, Rove, Armitage,Libby were doing something legal, and part of their jobs, when they would have been breaking the Law, by outing classified information in the least... and outing an agent under CIA cover as the worst, if evidence supported such?

edit:
And even if this was not proven on the Criminal sense, in a Civil Court the Standards are not as high, right? What am I missing here CSOB?

CockySOB
07-22-2007, 12:00 PM
JD, you are listening to the wrong pundits still. Step away from the DU and DailyKOS, buddy. Judge Bates ruled that his court did not have jurisdiction to rule on the civil action filed by the Wilsons because the Wilsons had not exhausted their legal remedies under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA). Since the defendants were conceivably acting under the auspices of their offices in the Federal government, any claim against them must be first made as a claim against the USA in order to determine 1) if the alleged actions actually took place (finding of legal fact); and, 2) were those actions covered under the sovereign immunity imparted to agents of the Federal government while performing their office (determination of liability).

This is the same basic thing I was saying about why the Libby conviction should not have any connection to Plame's alleged status as a covert agent per the law. The difference is that the Libby convictions were based on what are now determined legal facts: he committed perjury, made false statements to Federal investigators, and obstructed a Federal investigation.

Judge Bates did the right thing in dismissing the civil suit without prejudice. The Wilsons are still free to file the civil suit against the individuals at a future date, but only AFTER they have fully exhausted the legal remedies under the FTCA.

Make sense yet?