PDA

View Full Version : Cannot say the "N" word

jimnyc
05-05-2016, 06:40 AM
Unless you're black, and saying it to the leader of the free world. Then it's a-ok and laughable!! And if a white person emulates this tomorrow, they get fired.

<iframe src="//cdnapisec.kaltura.com/p/591531/sp/59153100/embedIframeJs/uiconf_id/6740162/partner_id/591531?iframeembed=true&playerId=kaltura_player_1413478522&entry_id=0_qdoxahic" allowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" style="width: 700; height: 394px;" frameborder="0" height="421" width="664"></iframe>

Noir
05-05-2016, 08:25 AM
It's almost as if context matters.

jimnyc
05-05-2016, 08:30 AM
It's almost as if context matters.

So if I have a friend, a VERY good friend, and he's more than cool with me calling him "nigga" or "nigger" - then others, especially black folks, shouldn't be upset with me using the word in public, correct? And if so, and my friend agrees, and the context is friendly - if black folks overhear and are angry, and want to protest me because I have a business or whatever, they're in the wrong then, unable to understand the context, right? It's no issue if white people use the word, so long as it's within context, correct?

Gunny
05-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Unless you're black, and saying it to the leader of the free world. Then it's a-ok and laughable!! And if a white person emulates this tomorrow, they get fired.

<iframe src="//cdnapisec.kaltura.com/p/591531/sp/59153100/embedIframeJs/uiconf_id/6740162/partner_id/591531?iframeembed=true&playerId=kaltura_player_1413478522&entry_id=0_qdoxahic" allowfullscreen="" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" style="width: 700; height: 394px;" frameborder="0" height="421" width="664"></iframe>

Just another double standard. I've had blacks call me "nigga" on the basketball court. I took it as a compliment actually. Means they knew I could hoop. Had this one Sgt that said "dammit nigga, if I don't pick you, you'll just play defense and you always hit the 3 pointer that wins the game".

At the same time, I could not and did not use the word. I'd have been fried and sent to some sensitivity training.

jimnyc
05-05-2016, 08:40 AM
Just another double standard. I've had blacks call me "nigga" on the basketball court. I took it as a compliment actually. Means they knew I could hoop. Had this one Sgt that said "dammit nigga, if I don't pick you, you'll just play defense and you always hit the 3 pointer that wins the game".

At the same time, I could not and did not use the word. I'd have been fried and sent to some sensitivity training.

Say it to a FRIEND in the FRIENDLIEST of manners during a conversation at work. Have him decide otherwise and report you. You're fired. Report him for the same, nothing will happen. I have FIRST HAND experience on that one.

Call Obama a "nigga" on one of the biggest of stages, and it's cool, just needs to be in context. Have a radio host use a word within context, and often you'll see protests or someone getting fired.

Noir
05-05-2016, 08:43 AM
Jim the 'but I have a black friend...' lark ain't the strongest of bases to start from.

Black Diamond
05-05-2016, 09:05 AM
Say it to a FRIEND in the FRIENDLIEST of manners during a conversation at work. Have him decide otherwise and report you. You're fired. Report him for the same, nothing will happen. I have FIRST HAND experience on that one.

Call Obama a "nigga" on one of the biggest of stages, and it's cool, just needs to be in context. Have a radio host use a word within context, and often you'll see protests or someone getting fired.
A southern cooking icon says it in 1981....

And 30 years later.....

jimnyc
05-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Jim the 'but I have a black friend...' lark ain't the strongest of bases to start from.

Neither is avoiding answering questions. :)

Point is, if it's OK within context, then it's OK within context for all. If the word is bad, it's bad for all. If someone gets ostracized for saying it, so should all.

Black Diamond
05-05-2016, 09:08 AM
Only niggers are allowed to say nigger.

Gunny
05-05-2016, 09:12 AM

I'd call Obama "whitey". Was it me.

My best friend in high school was black and he couldn't stand the word. Since he was 6'6" and weight around 250, I just chose to not use the word. :laugh: Words aren't worth fighting over to me. But it seems to be the only thing people want to fight over. We have different experiences. I'm not going to fight over you calling me a name. It's just not worth dying for.

LongTermGuy
05-05-2016, 09:31 AM
I'd call Obama "whitey". Was it me.

My best friend in high school was black and he couldn't stand the word. Since he was 6'6" and weight around 250, I just chose to not use the word. :laugh: Words aren't worth fighting over to me. But it seems to be the only thing people want to fight over. We have different experiences. I'm not going to fight over you calling me a name. It's just not worth dying for.

Well said Gunny and agree....I too have an educated black friend who feels the same...

Gunny
05-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Well said Gunny and agree....I too have an educated black friend who feels the same...

It's hard to explain. As I said, different experiences. I've been in life or death situations. And I don't mean mine. If I'm a sucker for anything, it's little kids. And they were black little kids. I just couldn't figure out how to smuggle one onto the ship.

But being called a name means nothing to me. Not in real life. I may play around with it on the board, but in real life I'll just stand there and stare at you. There are just so many more important things than what comes out of someone's mouth.

Black Diamond
05-05-2016, 10:00 AM
There are actually folks of all races who want the word eradicated.

Gunny
05-05-2016, 10:13 AM
There are actually folks of all races who want the word eradicated.

Y'know, I don't like a lot of ideas nor the people that carry them. But don't be a hypocrite. The 1st Amendment applies to all.

Noir
05-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Neither is avoiding answering questions. :)

Point is, if it's OK within context, then it's OK within context for all. If the word is bad, it's bad for all. If someone gets ostracized for saying it, so should all.

Sure but the aspect of context that matters is who is saying it.

Gunny
05-05-2016, 11:02 AM

Still beating that drum? Context does not matter. The word and who uses it does.

Black Diamond
05-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Nigger please....

Noir
05-05-2016, 11:06 AM
Still beating that drum? Context does not matter.

um...

The word and who uses it does.

this is exactly what I am saying.

Gunny
05-05-2016, 11:30 AM
um...

this is exactly what I am saying.

Which, in context, coming from you means nothing. You have to define context. Good luck with that. In the context of the conversation, some people are allowed to say certain things others are not. That isn't context. It's politicizing a word. Can't say nigger but you can say NAZI, skinhead white supremicist, cracker, honky white trash ... et al. But you can't say nigger. Black lives matter but white ones must not.

You can say what you want. But I'm returning fire.

jimnyc
05-05-2016, 11:33 AM

So when IS it wrong, our the wrong context, for a black person to use the word? I heard nigga/nigger in friendly ways in songs, and basically death threats. I hear the same from black folks on the streets and in stores, of both contexts of course, friendly and otherwise. Black folks using it within movies. WHEN is it a bad thing for a black person to do so? And WHEN is it an ok thing for white folks to do?

Trigg
05-05-2016, 04:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5fE56Ysx9w

AT about 6 minutes in he starts talking about the N word in rap lyrics. He believes white kids shouldn't "sing" along to rap songs if they have the word in them.

Which is stupid, they're the ones buying the CD's. If they weren't able to sing along, they'd stop buying it.

Black Diamond
05-05-2016, 04:54 PM
So when IS it wrong, our the wrong context, for a black person to use the word? I heard nigga/nigger in friendly ways in songs, and basically death threats. I hear the same from black folks on the streets and in stores, of both contexts of course, friendly and otherwise. Black folks using it within movies. WHEN is it a bad thing for a black person to do so? And WHEN is it an ok thing for white folks to do?

When a black person uses it, they mean brother. When a white person says it, it's racist. Or so the argument seems to go.

Also, I believe they claim "nigger" is different from "nigga"????

And by they i mean white liberals who blame me and themselves for Jim Crow. :cool:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Nigger please....

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::c lap::clap:--:beer: :beer:-Tyr

Black Diamond
05-05-2016, 04:56 PM
What about John Lennon's "Woman is the Nigger of the World"......

Is that racist ???

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-05-2016, 05:47 PM
What about John Lennon's "Woman is the Nigger of the World"......

Is that racist ???

Can't be, celebrities are EXEMPT, because , because the care so deeply, so damn much!!
Never mind that they demand we bow and kiss ass, something they in their guarded million dollar mansions/compounds never do...-Tyr

Black Diamond
05-05-2016, 05:59 PM
Can't be, celebrities are EXEMPT, because , because the care so deeply, so damn much!!
Never mind that they demand we bow and kiss ass, something they in their guarded million dollar mansions/compounds never do...-Tyr

There's truth in that. But the rule seems to be white people can't say the word lest they be labeled racist. . Wondering if Lennon would be labeled bigot the way Paula Deen was. :).

namvet
05-05-2016, 06:37 PM
who's the racist here??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZZc2tWCL9c

aboutime
05-05-2016, 07:56 PM
First. Long ago when I was just a little boy going to public school. I was taught, and reminded how terrible it was to call anyone names; with much more emphasis on not calling my friends, and fellow school mates "N.....". That was a dirty word then for me, and it still is...NO MATTER WHICH RACIST uses it, be they white, or black.

Bringing us to today, in 2016. Where that RACIST word, being used by RACISTS like the word "THE" in everyday language, has now been decided...BY THE SAME RACISTS, that the only acceptable POLITICALLY CORRECT way to say it is "The "N" Word". But now. Just saying those 3 words "THE N WORD" has become equally as RACIST as using the entire "N....." word.

IN other words. ANYTHING, ANYONE SAYS, THINKS, BELIEVES, READS, SEE'S, OR BREATHES.......has become UNPOLITICALLY CORRECT, and therefor RACIST, HATRED, and demonstrates REALLY HOW IGNORANT, DUMB, STUPID, and TOTALLY UNEDUCATED THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WANT TO BE.

Gunny
05-06-2016, 08:32 AM
First. Long ago when I was just a little boy going to public school. I was taught, and reminded how terrible it was to call anyone names; with much more emphasis on not calling my friends, and fellow school mates "N.....". That was a dirty word then for me, and it still is...NO MATTER WHICH RACIST uses it, be they white, or black.

Bringing us to today, in 2016. Where that RACIST word, being used by RACISTS like the word "THE" in everyday language, has now been decided...BY THE SAME RACISTS, that the only acceptable POLITICALLY CORRECT way to say it is "The "N" Word". But now. Just saying those 3 words "THE N WORD" has become equally as RACIST as using the entire "N....." word.

IN other words. ANYTHING, ANYONE SAYS, THINKS, BELIEVES, READS, SEE'S, OR BREATHES.......has become UNPOLITICALLY CORRECT, and therefor RACIST, HATRED, and demonstrates REALLY HOW IGNORANT, DUMB, STUPID, and TOTALLY UNEDUCATED THE AMERICAN PEOPLE WANT TO BE.

I can't give specifics, but the word nigger comes from Nigeria. You were military. You realize if we were military now we wouldn't make it past E-2? We spend more time worrying about words than actual enemies.