PDA

View Full Version : The art of the Döner kebab...

darin
05-06-2016, 07:34 AM
one of the best things about living here is the availability of Good Döners.

Background from wikipedia:

Döner kebab (/ˈdɒnər kəˈbćb/, /ˈdoʊnər/; Turkish: döner or döner kebap, [dřˈnɛɾ ˈcebɑp], in English often spelled doner) is a Turkish dish made of meat cooked on a vertical rotisserie, normally lamb but sometimes beef, or chicken.[3] In British English, it may be abbreviated as kebab, though kebab can also refer to shish kebab and other forms of kebab with the pieces of food cooked on skewers, which are widespread in the cuisine of Mediterranean countries, Middle Eastern and South Asian cuisine. Other versions cooked on a vertical rotisserie are the Arab shawarma and the Greek gyro.

The sliced meat of a döner kebab may be served wrapped in a flatbread such as lavash or pita or as a sandwich, tortilla, instead of being served on a plate. Seasoned meat in the shape of an inverted cone is turned slowly against a vertical rotisserie, then sliced vertically into thin, crisp shavings. The sandwich version, depending on location, generally contains salad or vegetables, which may include tomato, lettuce, cabbage, onion with sumac, fresh or pickled cucumber, or chili, and sometimes various types of sauces.

My new home country spends about €2.5 billion on the deliciousness. Well-spent, IMO. Most Döners run about €4.00 - A variant of the kebab - and my new personal favourite - is the Yufka Döner - essentially, it's a fresh tortilla (called a yufka) filled with the meat (i have them omit the salad because #protein) and dressed with the sauce. My place also makes good pizzas (the pizza pic is the only actual-photo of my place's food) and their 'plate of doner' is pretty good too! :)

I'm thinking I'd like to open one of these joints just outside a military base and/or in/near a bar district. It's awesome drunk food.

Kathianne
05-06-2016, 07:45 AM
one of the best things about living here is the availability of Good Döners.

Background from wikipedia:

My new home country spends about €2.5 billion on the deliciousness. Well-spent, IMO. Most Döners run about €4.00 - A variant of the kebab - and my new personal favourite - is the Yufka Döner - essentially, it's a fresh tortilla (called a yufka) filled with the meat (i have them omit the salad because #protein) and dressed with the sauce. My place also makes good pizzas (the pizza pic is the only actual-photo of my place's food) and their 'plate of doner' is pretty good too! :)

I'm thinking I'd like to open one of these joints just outside a military base and/or in/near a bar district. It's awesome drunk food.

Looks so good! Now I'm hungry!

darin
05-06-2016, 08:21 AM
Kath - they are incredible :)

Kathianne
05-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Kath - they are incredible :)

Wahhh! Bring me one, now!

darin
05-06-2016, 08:38 AM
if I could send it same-day air, I would :)

Kathianne
05-06-2016, 08:41 AM
if I could send it same-day air, I would :)

Well thank you. Guess I'm just going to have to settle for some eggs or something. ;)